• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hey You

Nutter said:
I know right?

Who would want some actually good game types.

All Playlists need to have Armor Lock and Evade loadouts as the only ones available.
While you are at it, equip everyone with a Shotgun or Sword as a secondary and AR as primary.
Just because Halogaf likes it doesn't make it good.

There are people who enjoy Armor Lock,Evade,ARs,Bloom and the grenades, you know.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
By new maps you mean adding new forge maps right? Influx of forge maps is the reason I stopped playing Team Slayer lol.
If the local player max was dropped, they could add maps that fit - namely, the best maps of the Classic playlist. Objective gametypes in Classic are pretty good right now, there's no reason they wouldn't work in TO. There's always the danger of the forged maps being terrible, but the Classic maps aren't half bad.

Ramirez

What is awful about the Pro gametypes aside from the NR loadout? Pro 2 Flag on Asylum/1 Flag Pro on Powerhouse is like the best the playlist has to offer...both are plagued with spawning issues, but that happens in non pro variants as well...

Hey You said:

There are people who enjoy Armor Lock,Evade,ARs,Bloom and the grenades, you know.

I can't wait for Halo 4 when all of this is gone. Well, aside from the AR (I won't even dream) and grenades.

Kuroyume

Banned
Striker said:
AR/Pistol start wasn't the issue on the playlist. The big issue as to why its population is low is because matches can end in 2 mins because there's so many bad players in there, and that will often net you about 600 cR. They can't credit you for team based flag caps, bomb plants, and so on. They had no intentions of crediting these types of players for whatever reason. If they could make for team based awards you could earn more cR with winning, but sadly that's not the case.

And the other issues that are larger than the weapon starts: Evade still being in there, no new maps were added (there's more gametypes than maps atm), and Pro gametypes are absolutely awful. The recent one is removing fringe gametypes, but now he's adding MORE back in. It's making me want to play it less as a result.

That's one one of the biggest problems with that playlist. When I was playing the game heavily to get the Security helmet I wouldn't bother with objective because it would award you the biggest joke amount of cR of any playlist. I love objective games but if you give a shit about cR (like I did) then you would hardly step in there. I don't give a shit about cR any longer since I have all the stuff from the armory that I wanted, but I'm guessing the rest of the player base still wants its cR if you look at where they've gone with the jackpots and double cR stuff.

Nutter

Hey You said:

You do realize, the fanbase who enjoys those is relatively small?

The main Halo Fanbase that has been around for years, HATES everything you listed. Just because I at times use Evade does not mean I LIKE it, I am using it to counter what my enemies are doing. But do not confuse the new crap in Reach to what Halo Gameplay IS. Halo to me even with armor abilities is about Shooting, Grenades, Melee. But to some folks and I think its safe to say even you, like Evade because it takes away Shooting and grenades out of the picture. Sword, Shotgun, or Hammer with Evade is the worst thing in Reach, I can use the same strategy to get kills but as I said above, Halo to me Shooting, Grenades and then Melee. It is an FPS not a First Person Melee, if you want a FPM then play Breakdown on Xbox.

Ramirez

It would be nice if they could add in a winning bonus to the credits, might give people more incentive to stick around in games, but I doubt it. A credit reduction for quitting would probably be the most helpful in scaling back quitters.

Nutter

Ramirez said:
It would be nice if they could add in a winning bonus to the credits, might give people more incentive to stick around in games, but I doubt it. A credit reduction for quitting would probably be the most helpful in scaling back quitters.
Like we were discussing the other night.

After a certain amount of quits, make it so it takes away from the total number of credits the person has acquired. Lets say 10% of the current rank the person is on. If Noble Rank, then it would take away 150,000 Credits from your Rank away, and it wouldnt hurt to actually award people more credits the faster they completed the game. Though this could lead to some heavy duty boosting, but that is what the ban hammer is for. Ban the filth that will attempt to boost that way.

kylej

Banned
Hey You said:

Yeah and some people think Barack Obama was born on the moon.

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:

The main Halo Fanbase that has been around for years, HATES everything you listed. Just because I at times use Evade does not mean I LIKE it, I am using it to counter what my enemies are doing. But do not confuse the new crap in Reach to what Halo Gameplay IS. Halo to me even with armor abilities is about Shooting, Grenades, Melee. But to some folks and I think its safe to say even you, like Evade because it takes away Shooting and grenades out of the picture. Sword, Shotgun, or Hammer with Evade is the worst thing in Reach, I can use the same strategy to get kills but as I said above, Halo to me Shooting, Grenades and then Melee. It is an FPS not a First Person Melee, if you want a FPM then play Breakdown on Xbox.
I'm not sure how you'd quantify that. The frequency with which AR start game types are picked over DMR, and the sheer volume of Evade/Armor Lock users suggests there are a lot of people who do like them. I think people like us on a forum tend to over estimate what sector of the population we represent. The more hardcore playlists are generally the lower populated ones; in Halo 3 days, Social Slayer ruled the day and that was largely AR starts being picked. The equivalent is present in Reach now.

Hey You

Nutter said:

The main Halo Fanbase that has been around for years, HATES everything you listed.
So have you visited every Halo forum outside of Gaf and BNet? Listened to most people in Halo Reach matchmaking?

Or just the most vocal of the community?

Tawpgun

Hey You said:
So have you visited every Halo forum outside of Gaf and BNet? Listened to most people in Halo Reach matchmaking?

Or just the most vocal of the community?

Well this brings up a good point.

Do you cater to the masses who casually play the game. Or do you cater to your dedicated community that's responsible for keeping the game alive?

The most vocal are generally the more passionate. The ones who love Halo the most if I had to say.

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:
I'm not sure how you'd quantify that. The frequency with which AR start game types are picked over DMR, and the sheer volume of Evade/Armor Lock users suggests there are a lot of people who do like them. I think people like us on a forum tend to over estimate what sector of the population we represent. The more hardcore playlists are generally the lower populated ones; in Halo 3 days, Social Slayer ruled the day and that was largely AR starts being picked. The equivalent is present in Reach now.
I realize that voting data will dictate the over all perception, but perhaps we should also look at how the number of people playing online compared to 3 is also lower, the people who preferred their BR, (medium range, long range) and were left dry thanks to the the decisions for Halo 3 Matchmaking have since then left Halo. As I said earlier so many people use evade, including me, does not mean I like Evade. Also I know folks who will pick the AR gametype to either Troll everyone, or they pick it because they know they will get the better weapon and then rain death from a distance at the AR users.

Also When my choices are

AR CTF 1
Head Hunter Pro
AR 1Flag

I will pick AR CTF over the DMR variant every single time.
Also If I remember correctly, Shishka commented on the veto data being tied to the gametype rather than map, So because we dont want to play on a certain map though it has DMR starts, will get read at as us not wanting DMR Starts.. Sigh.

Lots of sweeping generalizations about the Halo fanbase today.

I'm frustrated with evade, armor lock, etc. just as much as you guys, but it isn't fair to assume everyone thinks that way.

The majority of Halo players do not post on ANY Halo forums.

Seriously.

I have a group of 8 or 9 friends IRL that I have played Halo with since 2001. They have logged countless hours in every game, and still play Reach all the time. You know how many of them have ever posted on a Halo forum besides me? ONE.

Removing AAs might be a popular idea within HaloGAF and the forums we frequent, but there is a vast number of Halo players that would be confused and angry when they boot up Reach and only have Sprint. These players have to be taken into account when playlist changes are made, they paid $60 for the game too.

Ramirez said:
What is awful about the Pro gametypes aside from the NR loadout? Pro 2 Flag on Asylum/1 Flag Pro on Powerhouse is like the best the playlist has to offer...both are plagued with spawning issues, but that happens in non pro variants as well...

The Pro gametypes have a "pro" weapon set on the maps that is often times ridiculous. For instance, there is no sword on Reflection so one of the teams is down a power weapon while the other maintains all the ones they normally have access to. One Boardwalk, there are two rocket launchers on the map, and they are 50 feet apart. The rule is that there are no Covenant power weapons on the maps for pro gametypes.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:

I'm frustrated with evade, armor lock, etc. just as much as you guys, but it isn't fair to assume everyone thinks that way.

Seriously.

I have a group of 8 or 9 friends IRL that I have played Halo with since 2001. They have logged countless hours in every game, and still play Reach all the time. You know how many of them have ever posted on a Halo forum besides me? ONE.

Removing AAs might be a popular idea within HaloGAF and the forums we frequent, but there is a vast number of Halo players that would be confused and angry when they boot up Reach and only have Sprint. These players have to be taken into account when playlist changes are made, they paid $60 for the game too.

In-Game polls coming in TU. Just like L4D2. That way only the active users get to vote. And we'll see what happens. Would be cool.

Nutter

ncsuDuncan said:

Seriously.

I do not believe I said anything about posting on the forums, as for the changes on the playlist themselves, how come COD can cater to all the folks in one single sweep. Just because casuals play the game does not mean they have to get majority of the game types catered for them.

And I have already said what changes I would like to see for the AA's if they were to be "fixed" but I am hoping for NONE to return for 4.

MrBig

Again, I just want Team Tactical. I don't care if it's just a single playlist and all the other kids can go on jet packing and armor locking themselves, as long as I can find a match.

Back to basics gameplay without the absurd AA's breaking everything. Sprint as the ONLY loadout, AAs placed on the map. Best of the best forge maps only. Mixed Objective and slayer. 75% DMR starts, 25% AR. MLG movement speed. Removal/reduction of inertia based movement if possible via TU.

GhaleonEB

Decided to try out Team Objective to see how the game types play out.

I'm in a group with three randoms, one of whom drops as voting commences. We're matched against a party of four who select 2-Flag Pro on Asylum. It went about as well as you might expect, though I did manage to land a counter cap on them. Experiences like that tend to drive me out of playlists for a while.
Havok said:
Going into Objective with randoms is asking to be punished. Even a single random can break (the will of and happy times with) the best of teams.
I don't mind playing with randoms. I mind playing with randoms against a full party.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Decided to try out Team Objective to see how the game types play out.

I'm in a group with three randoms, one of whom drops as voting commences. We're matched against a party of four who select 2-Flag Pro on Asylum. It went about as well as you might expect, though I did manage to land a counter cap on them. Experiences like that tend to drive me out of playlists for a while.
Going into Objective with randoms is asking to be punished. Even a single random can break (the will of and happy times with) the best of teams.

senador

Banned
thezerofire, after you left we got matched up with SHOOTMYOWNTEAM, and he proceeded to do just that. Good games, a full party is a lot of fun.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Well this brings up a good point.

Do you cater to the masses who casually play the game. Or do you cater to your dedicated community that's responsible for keeping the game alive

Well both I think, but more so to the casuals. There are more casuals than hardcores and I'd guess the casual is who is the main target. It makes sense, as it is a business. The casuals keep the game alive too, the hardcores just take it more seriously and play it more.

That doesn't mean we can't have balanced gameplay.

ncsuDuncan said:

Pretty much this. My friends can't believe I read about Halo, or post on forums about it. They would quit playing if they booted up and their beloved jet pack was gone. I don't think we should even think about them being gone, and only hope for tweaks, or stick to the playlists where some are excluded.

While we are at it, I honestly think we should all be prepared for them to be in 4. Don't set yourself up for huge disappointment by thinking it will be Halo 2.
___

I feel like the thread has been negative lately, and I may have helped in that. I've just been trying to give some feedback and share my thoughts. Believe it or not Reach is my favorite of the Halos, and I love it. I just wish some things were/could be/will be tweaked, or at least explained. But yeah, in the end its Halo and its fun.

Trasher

We need to put captions on your picture Devin. lolol

VsKNh.jpg

Hey You said:
Yeah. They are called Bungie and they don't even play the game. trollface.jpg

feel

Some people defend all the new crap in Reach by saying tons of new fans like it and so it all should be kept and made the norm because these new fans are just as valuable. New fans of Halo who love the new features get to decide what Halo is supposed to be and how it's supposed to be played. This shit wouldn't fly with the veteran communities of other well established competitive franchises. Frankie save us.

senador said:
thezerofire, after you left we got matched up with SHOOTMYOWNTEAM, and he proceeded to do just that. Good games, a full party is a lot of fun.
yeah it was great. I've missed playing with people, it's completely different

Ruze789

Playing Halo 3 the last few nights has made me realize how much I dislike Reach's grenades.

In Reach I can just never seem to get out of the way, no matter where it sounds like the clinking comes from, and almost always end up dead - even when sprinting away.

Then when I throw them no matter how much I play the angles and even when it's right at their feet it might, if I'm lucky, strip their shields.

Halo 3's grenades feel pretty good all around though. When I'm throwing them for the most part they do what I want them to, and when I die from one it's because I just couldn't quite make it away from it. They really haven't pissed me off.

Nutter

There are many ways you can cater to both casual and hardcore communities.

The difference is in the way a developer does it, or like Reach which ignores the good stuff from the past iterations of the franchise. Halo CE was by no means casual. It was pretty hardcore. Halo 2 was hardcore. Armor locking a vehicle and getting a kill out of it will always be cool to a casual Halo fan, but cool to me how I saved the flag by out gunning the opponents being the only person alive.

1 Thing 343 should focus is on having more "Headshot" capable weapons in Halo 4, I really never understood why the AR never had any head damage associated with its bullets. Why should the person who is aiming at the others head lose to a guy who is spraying their AR at their opponents body. In other words the AR should be capable of getting a Headshot.

Also my hatred of AA's comes from the fact that some maps do not support the type of gameplay that gets introduced by using them. Like for example Jet Pack on Asylum; Sanctuary was an awesome 4v4 map, Map movement and control mattered, here we are in Reach where you can jet pack to the areas instantly. Same thing can be said about Reflection, Jetpacks BREAK that map. Over all Evade is the dumbest thing ever, 1 shot someone and they evade out of view. Im sorry but that isnt skill, that is dumb game mechanics. Armor Lock goes against everything that Halo was. Halo was not an overly fast paced FPS, but still somehow it still managed to be fast enough to allow people to pull of some crazy shots, Armor lock breaks that, where people are waiting on their opponent to finish up their locking. IIRC Bungie said they wanted to slow down the gameplay in Reach, I guess introducing Armor Lock was their way to do this. Yet somehow in all this seems like the Rockets and Grenades were untouched by this philosophy. Make the gunplay slower, but lets make the grenades and melee faster... SMH..

Tunavi

Banned
I need new live. Should I pull the trigger on this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CVRAFQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edit: Can you do a family plan with 3 other people for about $25 each?

\/ I think I have 2 days left. I might just jump on this deal. I would like a chatpad, and it comes with $5 MS point credit, and the chatpad is worth $20, so the live comes out to only $30.

Edit 2: haha I feel this is worth sharing, I got it for 34.99 cause I had $20 of Amazon credit, free shipping with Amazon student. And to get around the new california taxes, I had it sent to my college in Texas, who forwards my mail here. win! lol

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
The Pro gametypes have a "pro" weapon set on the maps that is often times ridiculous. For instance, there is no sword on Reflection so one of the teams is down a power weapon while the other maintains all the ones they normally have access to. One Boardwalk, there are two rocket launchers on the map, and they are 50 feet apart. The rule is that there are no Covenant power weapons on the maps for pro gametypes.

A sword is pretty OP as it is, much less without radar, meh. You can easily kill a guy going for rockets if you nade from sword on Reflection, especially if you have 2-3 people doing it while someone rides the lift up to grab them when they die.

The rockets on BW are accessible to both teams in pretty equal times, Nutter usually always manages to get the bottom rockets when we spawn down at the bottom, the fountain ones are even more equal to both sides. I don't think there should be two sets on the map, but they're pretty easy to obtain for either side.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Holy shit. 0_o

Edit: wait, those aren't kills. :lol

Hit a goal tonight: 15 Wraith kills in one game on Beachhead (new high), zero deaths.

Louis Wu said:
Wait... all of this is about 2 Flag Slayer being in TO?

I have never played a game of 2 Flag Slayer that WASN'T decided by flag caps. In fact - I don't think I've ever played a game where there was even a CHANCE that the number of kills would tip the balance (the losing team would need more than 50 kills more than the winning team for this to happen).

It just adds a little spice, is all. (At least that's how *I* see it...)
Just wanted to echo this. According to Fyrewulf's game history, he's played Flag Slayer once, and that game was not decided by kills either. I've played it seven times, and none of them came close to being decided by kills.

Trasher said:
Yeah. They are called Bungie and they don't even play the game. trollface.jpg
Pwned! No, in all seriousness, I think it's just a transition from developers who wanted to make the game competitive and wanted to make the game appeal to competitive players, because they themselves were competitive, to developers who are more casual and want to try and make the game appeal to every possible person on the planet. There are three things I see wrong with trying to please everyone after already cultivating a healthy fan base of competitive players: it's a poor business model in the video game industry; it's simply not possible; and it serves to alienate players from the franchise.

senador

Banned
Ramirez said:
I think you're nuts if you think hardly anything will be brought over to 4 from Reach. Goodbye bloom, goodbye terrible melee system, goodbye AA's, so long, farewell.

I'm not as strong of a hater on those things you listed, but I am trying to keep my expectations in check. Let's hope you are right.

PNut

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
At this point we don't have a clue what will be brought over and what won't. Although it would be a safe bet that bloom will be gone. The rest though who knows.

Yeah, and I could care less what's going to be incorporated into Halo 4. Bloom or no bloom it will still be a Halo title and I'll buy it, play it and adapt. Just like with H2, H3, and Reach.

As long as 343 continues to offer competitive gameplay playlists with the future Halo projects I'm good. And we all know they will.

Oh yeah, I hope they make vehicle gameplay fun to play again too. That was one thing that took a big hit in Reach. For some reason they weren't able to nail down the physics. Warthogs and mongooses bouncing all around, merging into the ground, and basically just shit to drive.

FyreWulff

PNut said:
Yeah, and I could care less what's going to be incorporated into Halo 4. Bloom or no bloom it will still be a Halo title and I'll buy it, play it and adapt. Just like with H2, H3, and Reach.

As long as 343 continues to offer competitive gameplay playlists with the future Halo projects I'm good. And we all know they will.

Oh yeah, I hope they make vehicle gameplay fun to play again too. That was one thing that took a big hit in Reach. For some reason they weren't able to nail down the physics. Warthogs and mongooses bouncing all around, merging into the ground, and basically just shit to drive.

At least we have physics, unlike Halo 2 <_<

Havok

FyreWulff said:
At least we have physics, unlike Halo 2 <_<
There's nothing wrong with how the H2 warthog handled. Having driven around Coag and Relic in the last couple days, it was very refreshing not flipping on every pebble, and bouncing as though it had weight without being out of control. And rifle rounds bring able to flip the thing in subsequent games was duuuuumb.

dc89

Oh the irony. In all seriousness I really like how Bungie continually support the game and update the playlists etc. Some studios could learn a lot from them.

And I just noticed, we are hurtling towards |OT5|

What number did Halo 3 get to?

Edit: Just found the official Halo 3 thread. 106,000 posts. Wow.

dc89 said:
Oh the irony. In all seriousness I really like how Bungie continually support the game and update the playlists etc. Some studios could learn a lot from them.

And I just noticed, we are hurtling towards |OT5|

What number did Halo 3 get to?

Edit: Just found the official Halo 3 thread. 106,000 posts. Wow.
We are nearing 80,000 posts, and Reach hasn't even been out a year yet.

Top Bottom