• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tunavi

Banned
This is exactly why we need Armor Abilities as pick ups in Reach. People like evade, but we don't need everyone hopping around like frogs with the ability. If there's only one evade on the map, then everyone can rush it, fight for it, and one person can have it without the ability dominating gameplay (assuming everyone picks it at their spawn). Treat evade like a power weapon. I wouldn't want everyone spawning with rockets in their loadouts.
Save us frankie

neoism said:
this is why we'll never have it.
people will play anything if you get rewarded credits for it. The target locator trick? People put HOURS into that for credits. You wouldn't get credits in the custom game browser, and a lot of people would play matchmaking to rank up.

343: “Master Chief Is The John Wayne” Of Halo
...“We really spent time thinking about the story arc that we want to tell, in the world, to get back to Master Chief,” Spencer continued. “Make it simple – it’s not Halo-anything, it’s Halo 4. You’re not going to be confused about what it is. Halo 4, playing as Master Chief, beginning of a new trilogy.”

“That’s the role I want Halo to play, to be what Halo [already] is. It’s not about re-enacting previous wars, it’s not the kind of comic-booky pulp that Gears of War is, which obviously I love. Halo is a very story-driven, immersive experience, centred around Master Chief.”

Thought it was an interesting read about what they are definitely doing for Halo 4. Lol at John Wayne though.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/07/12/343-master-chief-is-the-john-wayne-of-halo/

Tawpgun

Major Williams said:
File Share?
I'll have to DL it later.

We have a few more spots in this lobby.

Right now we're playing a VERY unique map. The banshee is a safe haven that's stretched out, and its suspending in two mancannons. The Filters on the map are VERY dark and humans are invisible. The "spotlight" has to spot the players, which flares their shields and makes them stop in their tracks. Then the shooter nails them. Very cool.

Merguson

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I'll have to DL it later.

We have a few more spots in this lobby.

Right now we're playing a VERY unique map. The banshee is a safe haven that's stretched out, and its suspending in two mancannons. The Filters on the map are VERY dark and humans are invisible. The "spotlight" has to spot the players, which flares their shields and makes them stop in their tracks. Then the shooter nails them. Very cool.

I wouldn't mind hopping on to see what this is all about.. I played exactly one game of the "old" NASCAR but the player playing as the zombie was away from the controller so it got boring fast.

Ken

-Yeti said:
There was a Chromium Gold Beetleborg?
1105597-chomium_gold_large.jpg

Motherfucker, I forgot all about the Beetleborgs until this very instant. I didn't even know I still knew the theme song. Oh childhood, where art thou? :'(

senador

Banned
Striker said:
Sounds like "We know people pick Evade, so they obviously like it", as if them picking Evade isn't an indicative of why it's heavily abusive.

Reminds me of when somebody said "Headhunter is well liked in BTB because it gets voted for!". Well of course, when you had seen things like "Team Headhunter - Countdown", "Team Headhunter - Spire" and "Team Headhunter - Paradiso" show up as the final remaining voting options, what choice do you have?

I've been wondering if this is why Armor Lock and Evade still exist actually. That and we know Bungie likes AL, plus it was a shipping feature. I wonder if they'll ever go away fully.
Please go away fully.

kylej

Banned
darthbob said:
I didn't see anything 'wrong' with that.

Anyone else in that game could have used Evade as well, so it seems like the main issue is why it's there in the first place.

Evade is a single pick-up only in MLG ala overshield.

darthbob

Major Williams said:
I like Armor Lock...

It's useful, and there are fairly effective strategies for combating it.

Not when the whole entire enemy team is using it.

See, I don't mind Armor Lock is small doses, I mean, when only one dude is using it, that's fine. But when you're facing 4 people using it all, it goes from 'fun' to lame.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo 4 To Have Armour Abilities

Now, sources close to 343 Industries have revealed that the redesigns apart of “steps to incorporate” elements from Halo: Reach into the forth installment.

In Reach, the players used modifications — like jet packs, sprint and shields — to take on the many challenges throughout the game. However, in the original story-arch, these element weren’t present. According to these sources, in Halo 4, these elements will become apart of the original story-arch for the first time.

These sources have also revealed that the undisclosed ”lapse in time” will be used to explain the addition of these elements.

KuGsj.gif

Major Williams said:
I like Armor Lock...

Oh dear....

I don't see how anyone can like the ability for a player to go invincible for an extended period of time... or if they choose, a few times in short bursts, or use to EMP in CQC and pummel, or use it to shed well-thrown plasma grenades, or to turn 180 degrees instantly etc.

The concept was fine, kind of... but the implementation makes for one of the biggest game-pace breakers I've seen in games. It's a much bigger issue when dealing with a team of 2+.

As for the grenades - I hate them with a passion. I have no idea what's going on - but my grenades seem to fall short, go too far, bounce on a weird angle etc, and ultimately don't get me many kills. When going against a grenade thrower - they always seem to be travelling at an arc that would lead me to believe it is going to go way behind me. A sprint jump forward never seems to be adequate - and I get fucked up. I think last night, at least 1/3 of my deaths had to be a result of frag grenades. I think you only have to watch player behaviour to see where the balance/effectiveness lies in grenades. Nearly all of the players I come up against, when realizing they are in trouble or just about to die, throw both of their grenades and jump wildly. There is skill involved, no strategy... it's a panic button. Granted it's not a sure-fire kill. However there's a good chance you will cop some shield damage - and the next person to throw a perfect grenade (just how many perfect grenade throwing players are there?) has an easy kill... or even worse, the first panic grenade made you an easy kill for some Assault Rifle spraying scrub.

Very annoying.

Armor lock is fun because it's sort of balanced in a hokey way. Everyone can choose it, and you still move god-awful slow. It's more often than not a bad choice to have AL and a close range weapon, it's more suited for team support situations at a medium to medium close gun battle range.

That said, if they choose to remove it from matchmaking I honestly won't be sad. I loves me some sprint. That said, adding sprint to Halo 4 is OKAY WITH ME!

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
So ummm no Bulletin today?
Great birthday presents for me today from the Haloverse. Playlist updates I can't try yet, I find out that 343 is looking to Reach for mp inspiration, and no bulletin

Havok

darthbob said:
Anyone else in that game could have used Evade as well
Major Williams said:
Armor lock is fun because it's sort of balanced in a hokey way. Everyone can choose it
This is not a valid argument for the balance of some element in a game, especially not an unlimited-use item that turns the player into a teleporting death-by-sword machine or an invincible, AOE damage, self-regenerating rock. The idea that you can use an overpowered ability too doesn't make it any less frustrating to face people that abuse it. Maybe if you were allowed to switch abilities on the fly this would be a good excuse, but in a given life, your counter for something can't be 'die, and this time, pick the right ability, dummy.'

MrBig said:
Great birthday presents for me today from the Haloverse. Playlist updates I can't try yet, I find out that 343 is looking to Reach for mp inspiration, and no bulletin
Happy Birthday broham! You should play that NASCAR game at least.

Ramirez

I don't want any of the abilities to come back, and that includes sprint. I never wanted sprint in the past games, just give me a walking speed that doesn't make me feel like I'm in quick sand.

Add sprint/evade, take out flag juggling, then wonder why it's impossible to get a flag cap against good players in regular MM settings, HMMM. Not to mention that if you push into their base to grab the flag, the game rewards you by spawning them on your base side, brilliant!

TrounceX

Stripper13 said:

As for the grenades - I hate them with a passion. I have no idea what's going on - but my grenades seem to fall short, go too far, bounce on a weird angle etc, and ultimately don't get me many kills.

You must not have played much Halo 3 haha. The grenades were 100x worse in that game especially in respects to bouncing on weird angles. Plus, people could basically jump over the splash damage. So stupid.

MrBig

TrounceX said:
You must not have played much Halo 3 haha. The grenades were 100x worse in that game especially in respects to bouncing on weird angles. Plus, people could basically jump over the splash damage. So stupid.
Those damn textures

darthbob

Havok said:
This is not a valid argument for the balance of some element in a game, especially not an unlimited-use item that turns the player into a teleporting death-by-sword machine or an invincible, AOE damage, self-regenerating rock. The idea that you can use an overpowered ability too doesn't make it any less frustrating to face people that abuse it. Maybe if you were allowed to switch abilities on the fly this would be a good excuse, but in a given life, your counter for something can't be 'die, and this time, pick the right ability, dummy.'

I'd think that that idea would apply to games where dying has an extremely negative impact on your team.

However, if you were to play Invasion or something objective based, death wouldn't be as important as it would in a gametype that is specifically about death.

Karl2177

TrounceX said:
IMO the only thing that could have improved Halo 3's grenades would have been a bigger radius. The damage seemed just right as well as the way they were thrown.

Also shooting grenades in midair is bullshit. I swear in Reach it pulls your reticle towards a grenade in midair. My bullets should be hitting the other dude.

Tawpgun

Damn... I was so hopeful to play objective but Evade really does fuck it up.

Major Williams said:
I like Armor Lock...

Major Williams said:
Armor lock is fun because it's sort of balanced in a hokey way. Everyone can choose it, and you still move god-awful slow. [It's more often than not a bad choice to have AL and a close range weapon, it's more suited for team support situations at a medium to medium close gun battle range.

That said, if they choose to remove it from matchmaking I honestly won't be sad. I loves me some sprint. That said, adding sprint to Halo 4 is OKAY WITH ME!

Look, you answered why AL is bad! The underline is also just wrong. Armor Lock gives you an instant win button in CQC.

It slows down the game
It's a crutch
The teamwork it encourages is frustrating

It needs to get nuked off Reach. I want them to make sure in the canon, all armor abilities were glassed on Reach. None made it out.

Havok

darthbob said:
I'd think that that idea would apply to games where dying has an extremely negative impact on your team.

However, if you were to play Invasion or something objective based, death wouldn't be as important as it would in a gametype that is specifically about death.
I only play Objective these days, and death (especially to cheap tactics - such as a sword guy who can leap from person to person instantaneously) is hugely detrimental to your team. Respawns are 15 seconds, and that's enough time for someone to get into your base and out, halfway across the map by the time you can do anything with something like Zealot.

Edit: just read a thread on optimatch where someone was angry that Living Dead didn't get enough attention and updating. cannot facepalm any harder. send help.

Tawpgun

TrounceX said:
What Dani said.

lol. Stupid geometry messed up some bounces if you weren't careful, but

1. At least they did bounce.

2. They were avoidable.

Seriously, I can't believe you just said that.

I remember being slightly annoyed when people would jump over fatal rocket explosions... but I'd take that, skillful rocketeering (or as skillful as rockets can get) over thermonuclear explosives.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Look, you answered why AL is bad! The underline is also just wrong. Armor Lock gives you an instant win button in CQC.

It slows down the game
It's a crutch
The teamwork it encourages is frustrating

It needs to get nuked off Reach. I want them to make sure in the canon, all armor abilities were glassed on Reach. None made it out.
Nah, it's useful if someone has a sword or is going in for a second melee, of course.

It's NOT as useful if YOU have a CQC weapon and armor lock. It usually amounts to camping, but if someone is smart enough, they can lure you out and team shot you quickly. That's what I meant.

Ramirez

TrounceX said:

While I agree they got caught in geometry way too much, I felt they were pretty much perfect aside from that.

They added that invisible layer over stuff in Reach, but removed the bounce of the nades, lol. smh

Tawpgun

Major Williams said:
Nah, it's useful if someone has a sword or is going in for a second melee, of course.

It's NOT as useful if YOU have a CQC weapon and armor lock. It usually amounts to camping, but if someone is smart enough, they can lure you out and team shot you quickly. That's what I meant.

Well sprint is of course better, but that doesn't mean AL gives you a MASSIVE advantage in CQC. Everytime you go up for a melee they can hit their NOPE button, come out instantly, drop your shields, and melee you.

But that's not even the worst part. It's the whole CONCEPT of it. Denying someone a kill by pressing one button. Slowing the game to a halt.

Here, you can either wait and pray no teammates of his come for those agonizing 5 seconds.

Or TRY and leave and hope he doesn't pop out and start shooting you. But then you left a player alive on the field when they should;d have been dead.

There is literally now way to defend it. I'm all for being open to new ideas and stuff but AL crosses the line. If you think it's a good addition to Halo, and I'm going to feel a bit douchey about saying this, but it needs to be said... YOU. ARE. WRONG.

You can find it fun, but when someone uses an annoying game mechanic to their advantage it usually is fun. Not fair for everyone else though.

Ramirez said:
While I agree they got caught in geometry way too much, I felt they were pretty much perfect aside from that.

They added that invisible layer over stuff in Reach, but removed the bounce of the nades, lol. smh

Yup, in Halo 3 they seems more like a tool at your disposal. "I am going to throw a nade at those two guys too drop their shields and clean up with a BR for the double kill." In Reach it seems more like "Shit there are two guys in front of me that are going to mow me down so before I die I will throw a nade quick in the hopes of taking one or both of them with me."

I'm on right now if anyone wants to play. gt = thezerofire

Captain Blood said:
Yup, in Halo 3 they seems more like a tool at your disposal. "I am going to throw a nade at those two guys too drop their shields and clean up with a BR for the double kill." In Reach it seems more like "Shit there are two guys in front of me that are going to mow me down so before I die I will throw a nade quick in the hopes of taking one or both of them with me."
exactly. I loved it.

feel

Hey Mr Fungineer, sorry bout being mean the other day.... uuuh.... while you can, would you mind deleting AR+pistol starts from Halo 3 TS Ranked and making it Team BR all the time? It's Halo 3, noone cares about it anymore, what difference is it gonna make letting the dirty peasants who roams those parts have their BR starts..

TrounceX

Dani said:
Imagine that! Using one game mechanic to balance another.

Nope, unavoidable nuke grenades are far better, yes sir.

So you would argue then that pressing a single button to jump takes an equal amount of skill to throwing a well placed grenade?

That to me is not an equal balancing mechanic.

Hopefully that makes sense, it does in my head but I'm not very good at conveying my thoughts in writing.

edit: I just thought of like a million different ways you could counter this type of logic so I'm just going to stop posting. In the end, the dynamics of Halo that make it so engaging is the interplay of guns, grenades and melee. It's obviously going to be really hard to balance everything perfectly and no matter what not everybody is going to be happy with the system.

It is my opinion that having more powerful grenades leads to more viable options in any given encounter, more clutch kills, and therefore more exciting game play. If somebody is going to avoid my perfect grenade I'd like it to be for reasons more complex than mashing a single button.

TrounceX said:
Oh I know. I meant my grenades don't seem to get kills relative to what many players seem to be getting on me. My grenades seem to rarely hit the target perfectly while every one thrown at me is a Hissing ball of doom.

Top Bottom