• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB said:
He admitted he was trolling to get a reaction out of the community. It worked.

Tunavi, you done poked a hornet nest in Optimatch. I don't think it will end well, but I did what I could. :lol
What thread is this?

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yes. I asked why it was temporary (as did everyone else in the thread), and what game types would be in it. But as usual, Jeremiah would only speak to the what and not the why.

I'm looking forward to it, my daughter and I are going to romp all over Unearthed with the Rocket Hog on Score Attack 2X, where the thing can actually do damage. (Which means I need to re-install it.)
lol I wish Jeremiah would answer all of our questions
Dax01 said:
What thread is this?
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=59652036&viewreplies=true

KevinRo said:
I dropped $50 on the Razer Onza yesterday.

The control pad and triggers suck balls. The button clicks and adjustable sticks are amazing. And I'm loving the rubber feel of the controller. I just dont understand why the control pad sucks so much donkey balls. Also, the ergonomic design of the controller is kinda weird, there is this really sharp part right near the bumpers that cuts me sometimes.

I know you already dropped 50 on it, but may I suggest to make the analogs (which I agree are a little weak) better you add kontrolfreeks on top. They fit on them and you can still adjust the tension without removing them.

The triggers I'm not sure...I guess they suck. Undecided so far.

Also yea wtf is that sharp ridge? I bet I could sand that down...what the fuck who decided that should be there? WHY!?

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
lol I wish Jeremiah would answer all of our questions
I'll settle for any. It's certainly unreasonable to ask for explanations about everything, but he avoids explaining why even when everyone in the forum is asking in a thread that he's posting in. Such as this thread, asking why armor lock is not included in Squad Slayer. Note Jeremiah's comment. I had chuckled.

(Me, I want to know why betrayal booting is turned off in Firefight.)

GhaleonEB said:
Yes. I asked why it was temporary (as did everyone else in the thread), and what game types would be in it. But as usual, Jeremiah would only speak to the what and not the why.

I'm looking forward to it, my daughter and I are going to romp all over Unearthed with the Rocket Hog on Score Attack 2X, where the thing can actually do damage. (Which means I need to re-install it.)
Hate it that much, do ya?

GhaleonEB said:
(Me, I want to know why betrayal booting is turned off in Firefight.)
Isn't it tied to friendly fire?

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'll settle for any. It's certainly unreasonable to ask for explanations about everything, but he avoids explaining why even when everyone in the forum is asking in a thread that he's posting in. Such as this thread, asking why armor lock is not included in Squad Slayer. Note Jeremiah's comment. I had chuckled.
I literally meant "I wish." I really do appreciate his interaction with the community though. It would be really cool if he replied about drop shields.

And yes, I saw that armor lock comment, gave me a good laugh as well. Looks like its staying out of squad. Close call.

HPolY.jpg

My good friend Myyke is allowing you to have a chance to obtain the rare HALO nameplate, want in than read this post!

Please read the terms and conditions and good luck!

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1068142

Striker

Tunavi said:
It would be really cool if he replied about drop shields.
No need to, a true BTB expert chimed in

Drop shield and evade are ones of the few abilities which take skill to use and should't be removed from the playlist.

Tunavi said:
Also, that Boneyard 1 flag map variant does look awesome, we should try that out in customs some time.

It looks better than the current implementation, but I still have issues with it. (And unfortunately it won't be put into matchmaking because it looks like they have AA/Camo pickups like MLG.)

I guess my issues are more with Boneyard itself, the way they have those flag spawn/capture points set up it looks like the only decent path between the two is across the open middle. One of the greatest things about Zanzibar/Headlong/etc. was how many paths you could take once you grabbed the flag.

Their version looks better for Assault, but really anything but the current Boneyard objective spawns would be better.

I've been brainstorming ideas on how to "fix" Boneyard for a while now, and this weekend I'll actually have time to try them out in Forge. (I'll also be around for Customs this weekend too. Looking forward to that.)

Tunavi

Banned
Striker said:
No need to, a true BTB expert chimed in

Drop shield and evade are ones of the few abilities which take skill to use and should't be removed from the playlist.
Is Gabotron a GAF lurker? I believe we played customs with him last week.
ncsuDuncan said:
It looks better than the current implementation, but I still have issues with it. (And unfortunately it won't be put into matchmaking because it looks like they have AA/Camo pickups like MLG.)
Why is Bungie so against AA pickups in MM? It would work out really well IMO.

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
The rebalanced Paradiso version does as well, but Jeremiah can easily remove those or any other things that aren't necessarily MM-related belongings.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Isn't it tied to friendly fire?
There are two different settings. One is friendly fire, the other is betrayal booting, and they can be set independently.

Right now, friendly fire is turned off, and so is betrayal booting. But you can still betray with vehicles, both with spatters and by destroying the vehicle which kills the player inside. (In the game that video is from, the dude was just focusing on splattering players, knowing he couldn't be booted.)

I posted this video and asked for it to be turned on last month in the Optimatch forum. I hope betrayal booting is one of the small adjustments made for May. It's a problem on vehicle maps.

Crucio

Regarding AA pickups. I think it would be a much better experience tohave to fight for armor lock. I'd be fun to say "Ah jeeze, he's got THE armor lock."

I'm sure Bungie tested that out though.. Right?

Crucio said:
Regarding AA pickups. I think it would be a much better experience tohave to fight for armor lock. I'd be fun to say "Ah jeeze, he's got THE armor lock."

I'm sure Bungie tested that out though.. Right?

MLG v2 had a armor lock pickup bottom mid on Zealot, it was annoying still but not nearly as bad as everyone having it (or the option to have it).

Kuroyume

Banned
There's going to be a new Paradiso in BTB soon? Does it have either the tank or Banshee? Played a game of CTF on there recently and I couldn't even get anywhere near the enemy base because their tank was parked to the side of it the entire game. Fucking stupid. It was basically a game of Slayer. Pretty sure I bitched about that months ago when I stopped playing BTB in Reach. Amazing that they're still there.

Tawpgun

The next Halo should definitely give you more incentive to play. Bring back the ranking system with static ranks, and add customization into it. Meaning you get "cooler" armor the higher rank you are.

GhaleonEB said:
There are two different settings. One is friendly fire, the other is betrayal booting, and they can be set independently.

Right now, friendly fire is turned off, and so is betrayal booting. But you can still betray with vehicles, both with spatters and by destroying the vehicle which kills the player inside. (In the game that video is from, the dude was just focusing on splattering players, knowing he couldn't be booted.)

I posted this video and asked for it to be turned on last month in the Optimatch forum. I hope betrayal booting is one of the small adjustments made for May. It's a problem on vehicle maps.
Gotcha. Haven't done much looking around at the FF gametypes, but it does make sense because the two are separated in regular custom games.

I wonder if Lars has moved on to the new IP. If Jeremiah is the sole playlist coordinator over everything available in multiplayer, it must be a real bitch to get all that testing done with a small crew of underlings. Also makes me wonder how many people 343 is going to throw at Reach's playlist management when they take over.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
There's going to be a new Paradiso in BTB soon? Does it have either the tank or Banshee? Played a game of CTF on there recently and I couldn't even get anywhere near the enemy base because their tank was parked to the side of it the entire game. Fucking stupid. It was basically a game of Slayer. Pretty sure I bitched about that months ago when I stopped playing BTB in Reach. Amazing that they're still there.
Reconstructed middle tower which now holds a single Banshee. They're gone from the base. A single snipe is on the open bridge. The bases were rebuilt with more coverage. Of course, all these weapon and vehicle changes were from ilovebtb, so Bungie can, or may, change them.

Havok

Striker said:
Reconstructed middle tower which now holds a single Banshee. They're gone from the base. A single snipe is on the open bridge. The bases were rebuilt with more coverage. Of course, all these weapon and vehicle changes were from ilovebtb, so Bungie can, or may, change them.
So, a team gets sniper and camps the mountain peak while also getting the Banshee ensuring nobody can approach them. Super excited for this. I really don't know if there's a way to fix that map. So bad.

JdFoX187

Banned
Havok said:
So, a team gets sniper and camps the mountain peak while also getting the Banshee ensuring nobody can approach them. Super excited for this. I really don't know if there's a way to fix that map. So bad.
Should have made a Relic island instead of a mountain jutting out of the sea with grass growing around it.

Striker

Havok said:
If only there was a perfect boxed canyon.

vhfive

A27 Tawpgun said:
The next Halo should definitely give you more incentive to play. Bring back the ranking system with static ranks, and add customization into it. Meaning you get "cooler" armor the higher rank you are.
While I agree that the rank system should definitely come back (if you want to see an arena type system that does work look at Starcraft) I don't agree that you should get "cooler" armor the higher the rank you are. The armor shouldn't be tied to rank but the amount of time you play the (credits). Ghaleon should not be locked out of an armor piece he really wants because he's not as good as Tashi. And Tashi shouldn't be able to buy the top tiered armor after about a month of play when Ghal has been playing for a year and will never be able to buy top tier stuff (because he's old and sucks lolololololol).

That being said I think the credit system in Reach is kinda shitty and can be vastly improved on. I'll save that for another day though I already went on a long rant.

vhfive said:
While I agree that the rank system should definitely come back (if you want to see an arena type system that does work look at Starcraft) I don't agree that you should get "cooler" armor the higher the rank you are. The armor shouldn't be tied to rank but the amount of time you play the (credits). Ghaleon should not be locked out of an armor piece he really wants because he's not as good as Tashi. And Tashi shouldn't be able to buy the top tiered armor after about a month of play when Ghal has been playing for a year and will never be able to buy top tier stuff (because he's old and sucks lolololololol).

That being said I think the credit system in Reach is kinda shitty and can be vastly improved on. I'll save that for another day though I already went on a long rant.
Very good points. On all fronts. (Ha).

A27 Tawpgun said:
I remember when Halo was so fun that it in itself was the incentive to play.

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
He admitted he was trolling to get a reaction out of the community. It worked.

Tunavi, you done poked a hornet nest in Optimatch. I don't think it will end well, but I did what I could. :lol

Nice, the douche NoF from Halo 2 is returning? That guy thought he was so amazing back then, lol.

Kuroyume

Banned
Striker said:

So, wait... The tanks remain on the map? ilovebtb should change their name because they clearly don't.

Havok said:
I really don't know if there's a way to fix that map.

Easy... Remove the tanks and Banshees and replace them with another mongoose. I actually like playing on the map when the vehicles are destroyed. Fighting on the mountain area is pretty fun with its verticality. It's just that it becomes impossible to get any sort of nice flow in the game when one of those one hit death machines spawns and bombs everyone to death. It's so obvious that the tank and Banshee in this game just don't belong in the multiplayer at all. So overpowered.

Although I wouldn't mind "incentives" in Halo MP...
Lake Minnetonka said:
I remember when Halo was so fun that it in itself was the incentive to play.
...I would prefer it this way. I loved that about Halo and how it was different in that way from other console online MP shooters. If the gameplay is good enough, incentives are not needed. Just focus on the gameplay and players will keep on coming back.

My prefer way to handle unlockable armor is to tie it to campaign. Have each piece of armor unlock when you do something cool in campaign, like get a certain amount of points on one level or play through a level with certain skulls on.

Ramirez

People who need incentives to play games are ruining games, ugh. Your incentive to play should be to beat the piss out of the other team, not a moon next to your name.

Also, when does the 5v5 slayer go up? I can really enjoy this game in a 4v4 environment, but once the party gets larger than 4, there's not a single playlist I actually find enjoyable at the moment.

GhaleonEB

vhfive said:

Yup, agree. Halo 3's system for armor was sort of like this, where rank was skill based (I correctly topped out at 20, because I'm old and suck), but armor was unlocked via a different path. I like that Reach set all game modes as viable paths to rank up and unlock the armory, but I think it's clear that being a high skill-based rank and having that recognized is important.

Havok

Kuroyume said:
Easy... Remove the tanks and Banshees and replace them with another mongoose. I actually like playing on the map when the vehicles are destroyed. Fighting on the mountain area is pretty fun with its verticality. It's just that it becomes impossible to get any sort of nice flow in the game when one of those one hit death machines spawns and bombs everyone to death. It's so obvious that the tank and Banshee in this game just don't belong in the multiplayer at all. So overpowered.
That's a good start, but there are so many more issues with the basic structure of that island. The mountain is interesting but you shouldn't be able to get up to the top and peek out to get sniper headshots the whole game. The island as a whole has a huge amount of wasted space with the sandbar area near one of the bases, and a completely pointless central structure (yeah, it has the laser, but that's really the only purpose it has since there's no quick way out of the middle from there) make infantry combat a chore. Meanwhile, the ridiculous amount of rubble and clutter just scattered over every part of the map bring down the vehicle side of things (praying that the warthog doesn't flip on some random pebble isn't much fun, after all). It's a neat general concept that was executed poorly.

Edit: Also, on the topic of ranking systems (because writing a post on a bus kept me from getting into it before): I'd be just fine with a combination credit-skill system. Not the Halo 3 EXP stuff, because that turned silly very fast, but the Reach credit stuff is fine for the carrot-on-a-stick thing. Numerical ranks should return on the regular 1-50 scale, but without the ease of getting a 50 that Halo 3 had (my 49 is sadly the result of playing with three teammates from Norway while I live in the American Midwest :/). Above all, if that kind of system returns, I want these icons back in postgame viewers:

s6orvs.png

No more nebulous "I might rank up if we do well but maybe not. Who knows? Oh, we lost after 4 straight wins and I lost two ranks. Great."

kylej

Banned
So now the matchmaking guy is actually trolling the community? He really has the time to do that?

FRANKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Thermite

Tashi, isn't that one weirdo dude, that stalked and pretended to be you, some MLG pros and a bunch of Bungie employees, something like MattizPro? Well... looks like he created a twitter account and is pretending to be me! And evidently I work at Bungie now! ZOMG

http://twitter.com/#!/MattizPro

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thermite said:
Tashi, isn't that one weirdo dude, that stalked and pretended to be you, some MLG pros and a bunch of Bungie employees, something like MattizPro? Well... looks like he created a twitter account and is pretending to be me! And evidently I work at Bungie now! ZOMG

http://twitter.com/#!/MattizPro

Ugh, are you fucking serious? I'm sorry man, I don't know what the deal is with this kid. I put my friends list on block like a year ago when he first started that shit. Damn, I thought we got rid of him too. I haven't heard shit in such a long time.

But congrats on getting the job at Bungie lol :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wwm0nkey said:
You guys should join this Xlink game, so far its just a 1v1 with me getting my ass kicked XD

I'm trying XLink right now but it's giving me shit. I went to the configure page to set up a Username and Password. When it asks me for my user name and password, I hit enter and it doesn't let me in. It just keeps flashing the same dialog box over and over.

edit: Nevermind, I think I got it.

Top Bottom