• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tunavi

Banned
vhfive said:
I forgot how much I love the BR
I forgot how much I hate equipment.

I had to stop playing because there was an epic thunderstorm/cloud formation/sunset I had to go see. I would have kept playing otherwise.

But seriously, a guy was down to one shot, threw down a bubble shield, pulled out a gravity hammer, and started tea bagging the ground to taunt me. Then his team mate throws down a regenerator, and another throws power drainer at me. Ugh.

Edit: Then I used the regenerator with sword and no shields and got a triple kill haha.

Hey You

Tunavi said:
I forgot how much I hate equipment.

I had to stop playing because there was an epic thunderstorm/cloud formation/sunset I had to go see. I would have kept playing otherwise.

But seriously, a guy was down to one shot, threw down a bubble shield, pulled out a gravity hammer, and started tea bagging the ground to taunt me. Then his team mate throws down a regenerator, and another throws power drainer at me. Ugh.

Edit: Then I used the regenerator with sword and no shields and got a triple kill haha.
AAs > Equipment.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
This!

The new Halo better be the core Halo experience with out these AA/Equipment BS.

There should be a classic playlist at launch, but this won't happen. It needs to be different somehow, but a good different. Something that still encapsulates the even starting ground Halo is known for. Something that isn't cheap and doesn't break the flow of combat.

So, find out how to make a Halo game, with new things, but the same Halo ideals and core it was founded with.

Havok

wwm0nkey said:
This!

The new Halo better be the core Halo experience with out these AA/Equipment BS.
It's weird. I'm not against the fundamental idea of equipment in either form, just the execution on the ideas. Neither games feel like they were designed with them in mind, but more that they were tacked on after the fact. They can result in neat moments, but ultimately bring down the overall experience when they totally fuck everything up. Latency when using bubble shields was infuriating, and they brought the game to a crawl even when they worked. The regenerator was suicide to go up against unless you had a bunch of grenades, which wasn't often. The rest? Just totally unnecessary. Equipment especially breaks everything. Armor lock has been discussed to death. Drop shield is too frequent and breaks objective. Jetpack breaks every map. Evade breaks CQC weapons. Invis breaks sniper weapons. What's left? Sprint and hologram. I dunno. Not really worth bothering with in the long run. I feel like an old man complaining that things aren't as good as they were 'way back when,' but it really does seem to be the case. The little things bring down the whole experience, and I think classic is only what people believe old Halo felt like because they haven't played it in a long time (it sure as hell doesn't feel like old Halo to me, that's for sure.). I dunno. I don't have a point, just letting off steam, I guess.

Edit: Here's what I want to know. Why isn't it possible for them to tweak weapon balance per playlist? You could totally have a classic pistol with 12 shots, etc etc. and reduce the ridiculous frag damage and maybe then it would feel like older games. It just seems bizarre that such a capability isn't supported.

wwm0nkey said:
People can love Halo 2 but not ever want to get XBC/Xlink

Also as for H2V there are a decent amount of people on.....the stolen version, about 500+, where as the regular legit version has about 20-30 on at a given time.

Meh, if you really love it you'll do what it takes to play it.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
Meh, if you really love it you'll do what it takes to play it.
So are you really going to question peoples love of it if they dont go through hoops to play it? That just doesnt seem right.

I play H2V and sometime XBC but still would prefer for them at some point in time to XBLA. Not saying right now, but at some point in the future.

wwm0nkey said:
So are you really going to question peoples love of it if they dont go through hoops to play it? That just doesnt seem right.

I play H2V and sometime XBC but still would prefer for them at some point in time to XBLA. Not saying right now, but at some point in the future.

Setting up XBC isn't much more of a hoop than setting up XBL was back in the day. I want an XBLA (or retail) release of Halo CE and 2 some day too.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
Setting up XBC isn't much more of a hoop than setting up XBL was back in the day. I want an XBLA (or retail) release of Halo CE and 2 some day too.
I still vote they do a Halo CE remake with Halo 2 XBLA included, would buy for $60 :lol

wwm0nkey said:
I still vote they do a Halo CE remake with Halo 2 XBLA included, would buy for $60 :lol

Haha I'm with you.

Jeremiah said:
You could call it that if you like, but it's actually a method I use to gather brutally honest feedback. Ask some of the people I work with, they'll confirm it's equally frustrating in person but regardless it gets the job done. I'm not here to hold your hand and stroke your hair, if I can get a higher level of detail and passion out of people by poking them a bit, that's what I'll do.

The decision on the starting weapons for objective gametypes hadn't even been made, given that we were reviewing the starting weapon for the slayer gametypes as well.

Classic Slayer will remain AR/Magnum while Classic Rifles is being changed to feature NR/AR starts. Objective gametypes will also feature NR/AR starts.

<3 Ninja on Fire

MrBig

The Real Napsta said:
Besides the fact that you have to find and buy an original xbox? Mine died back in 06 and I bought a 360 the next day.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Besides the fact that you have to find and buy an original xbox? Mine died back in 06 and I bought a 360 the next day.
Actually.....XBC does work on the 360, just cant host 360 games if you dont have a jtag, can host regular Xbox games though.

MrBig said:

No you don't. Xbox 360s work on XBC/Xlink as long as you are playing OXB games (like Halo CE and Halo 2)

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Actually.....XBC does work on the 360, just cant host 360 games if you dont have a jtag, can host regular Xbox games though.
Last I checked into it you couldn't. Granted that was years ago. So you can just put H2 in your 360 and play over XBC now?

MrBig said:
Last I checked into it you couldn't. Granted that was years ago. So you can just put H2 in your 360 and play over XBC now?

It's worked since day one. Yes you can play Halo 2 or any other backward compatible OXB title on XBC/Xlink with an Xbox 360.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Yep, if any of you are interested we could have some Halo 2 customs tomorrow.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wwm0nkey said:
Yep, if any of you are interested we could have some Halo 2 customs tomorrow.
I'm thinking about hooking up XBC. I'd be down for some Halo 2 if I can get it working.

Striker

The Real Napsta said:
It's worked since day one. Yes you can play Halo 2 or any other backward compatible OXB title on XBC/Xlink with an Xbox 360.
Might try it out soon.

vv

Equipment is easily equally garbage. "If implemented correctly" can be said for both games. If Armor Lock was only a BTB-Invasion ability, if Evade was only Elites, if Drop Shields were simply campaign and Firefight, etc. Plenty of things were wrong with the equipment, not even counting how things like the shield regen and bubble shield, like Havok said, slowed things down to a crawl..

- flare, radar jammer, trip mine deemed pointless; others were in campaign and sucked as well
- latency hurt the deploy times, so often times you'll die and then your bubble will pop out
- certain items spawned way too fast, often times multiple players on each team will own it (see: Valhalla/power drainer, Isolation/regen, Sandtrap/bubble shields)
- what was the point of a shield regen? your shields regenerate by themselves, it's basically a "hey, you're getting shot, hit the X button to get an undeserved second life while I'll get killed even though I should've killed you a second ago"

I see your ideas and would be intriguing, but then again, Bungie mentioned often in the early vidocs how equipment would somehow be rare. That was a polar opposite of what happened. Only, and if only, these items you mentioned showed up twice per game max, so only two uses per game. The Camo and OS shields can show up every 2 mins or however long they did. These same instances you mentioned can be still be compared to how Bungie incorporated Reach. Why AL isn't just a vehicle based or BTB-Invasion ability, for instance. It's a vehicle based ability. It serves its purpose there.

vhfive

Hey You said:
AAs > Equipment.
Disagree Equipment > AAs if implemented correctly (though I don't like how either is used).

The map Tunavi was most raging about last night was Rat's Nest which has 2 bubble shields, 2 regens, 2 shotguns, 4 maulers, and a hammer all within 5 secs from each other. That is called equipment gone horribly wrong. Not only are those the most annoying pieces of equipment to deal with but they are place right next to all the close combat weapons which makes them even more frustrating.
Ideally in my Halo 4 (that I created in my dreams) I would like equipment to be rare and treated much like power ups (camo and overshield). Have only one or 2 on any given map and put them on relatively long timers with only one time use. Equipment I would use are Gravity Lift, Speed Boost (much like Reach's sprint but you can carry objectives), Hologram (but have 3 dudes come out instead of one), and Radar Jammer (but doesn't fuck with your own or your teammates radar).
All my equipment would be focused on changing up the gameplay but not in a cheap way. The regen and power drainer instantly put one player at an advantage where his opponent has no chance at winning the battle even if he is a better player (the regen more so than the drainer). This can get super frustrating which is part of the reason why Tunavi was getting so mad.
The other part why he was getting mad was because of the bubble shield which puts a complete stop to the action. Putting a complete halt to the action is not fun and is exactly what the bubble shield in Halo 3 and Reach (why is this even in multiplayer lol) and armor lock do. People play Halo for the constant action not to wait around with their dick out while they wait for some to come out of their nice little fortress of protection.
When I thought of the equipment I would use I wanted them to be able to change up the gameplay a little but never completely put someone at a disadvantage. The Grav Lift would be used as another way to get into your opponents base (like in High Ground or Sandbox). Speed Boost would be helpful in getting objectives out quick but since it's a one time use players won't be able to abuse it by constantly running away from battle (like how it's used in Reach). While Hologram might make your opponent shit his pants, a skilled player will still be able to find the one who is moving like a human and take him down if he's better than him. Radar Jammer is a great way to infiltrate a base and generally just confuse the fuck out of people but if you play attention carefully you can usually pick out the dot that is moving with purpose and not just moving any which way. There are probably more good ideas but I haven't slept yet and I'm too tired to think of anymore.

tldr: vhfive likes the idea of equipment and thinks they can work if implemented correctly.

It'd be about 9000x easier to just buy Halo2Vista... Than to go on XBC or XLink and play against ...no one (Or less than H2Vista population which is terrible to begin with)

If you can't run Halo 2 Vista, you should probably just upgrade to a new computer, because seriously how fucking old is your computer? A computer that can run it costs about 34 dollars after tax and shipping.

Real talk.

n whats up with these 1000 pt dailies, I need like 400,000 just to get to Hero!? Not enough points will not pop that disc in.

|º¿º|?

They should just introduce the new Halo with all AA's that SPEED UP gameplay instead of slowing down. Double Speed, Increased Damage, Vision through Walls, Double Jump, things like that. Not those necessarily but you know what I mean. Then they should throw that all into TS unranked + Especially a super large player size drop in drop out BTB mode where you have daily challenges. So everyone enters a game does their shit, waits for friends in unstat'd killhangzone warms up and then grabs a team and hits...

Vanilla competitive mode and make a new arena playlist that works,
-base assists on damage dealt
-win/loss at 72% of the rank, you're actual performance will increase or decrease your point total by 28% percent of the total. (numbers lol)
-get ranked 1-100 based on everyone else not a certain number to hit. Carrot and stick mode enabled.
-precision weapon dominance and focused as it should be, fuckin' smart.
-no equipment, no aa's, no bullshit, keep it simple, think GoW3 beta (mad simple down to the core amazing gameplay)

n if you're a bitch you can just cheese out in that unranked challenge free for all sex TS or BTB mode. OR enter the special playlists (Snipers/SWAT, Whatever I decide because obviously I'm Halo 4's playlist manager) or the weeklies (Livin Dead, Grifball)

Focused minimal playlists. Keep it simple, keep the shit flowing. Dats some balls all in your face.

Tawpgun

xxjuicesxx said:
It'd be about 9000x easier to just buy Halo2Vista... Than to go on XBC or XLink and play against ...no one (Or less than H2Vista population which is terrible to begin with)

If you can't run Halo 2 Vista, you should probably just upgrade to a new computer, because seriously how fucking old is your computer? A computer that can run it costs about 34 dollars after tax and shipping.

Real talk.

n whats up with these 1000 pt dailies, I need like 400,000 just to get to Hero!? Not enough points will not pop that disc in.

|º¿º|?

They should just introduce the new Halo with all AA's that SPEED UP gameplay instead of slowing down. Double Speed, Increased Damage, Vision through Walls, Double Jump, things like that. Not those necessarily but you know what I mean. Then they should throw that all into TS unranked + Especially a super large player size drop in drop out BTB mode where you have daily challenges. So everyone enters a game does their shit, waits for friends in unstat'd killhangzone warms up and then grabs a team and hits...

Vanilla competitive mode and make a new arena playlist that works,
-base assists on damage dealt
-win/loss at 72% of the rank, you're actual performance will increase or decrease your point total by 28% percent of the total. (numbers lol)
-get ranked 1-100 based on everyone else not a certain number to hit. Carrot and stick mode enabled.
-precision weapon dominance and focused as it should be, fuckin' smart.
-no equipment, no aa's, no bullshit, keep it simple, think GoW3 beta (mad simple down to the core amazing gameplay)

n if you're a bitch you can just cheese out in that unranked challenge free for all sex TS or BTB mode. OR enter the special playlists (Snipers/SWAT, Whatever I decide because obviously I'm Halo 4's playlist manager) or the weeklies (Livin Dead, Grifball)

Focused minimal playlists. Keep it simple, keep the shit flowing. Dats some balls all in your face.

I like the idea of equipment speeding up gameplay, but nothing like increased damage plz.

vhfive had ideas I liked.

Tunavi

Banned
vhfive said:
tldr: vhfive likes the idea of equipment and thinks they can work if implemented correctly.
Lol, that bubble shield/gravity hammer just put me over the edge haha. I was also frustrated because that team was absolutely dominating us. Hitmonchan and I hit up matchmaking again an hour later and we had a blast.

By the way, in the lobby, I was talking to Hitmonchan, and I get a Voice PM from some random on the other team that said "HEY YOU AND YOUR BOYFRIEND NEED TO SHUT UP" and other homophobic slurs. Then when the match started, I grabbed sword, and heard him through proximity voice. "HEY TUNAVI, WHERES YOUR BOYFRIEND??? HUH!?! BOYFRIEND! BOYFRIEND!" I looked around the corner, sworded him, and he quit. lol

Karl2177

xxjuicesxx said:
Double Jump
Is what Jetpack should have been. Maybe more along the lines of a superjump, where the player couldn't shoot until they've reached a max height or something. Maybe I should stop thinking of what Reach could have been even though it seems so much better.

vhfive

I wish I could have stayed longer but I was working yesterday night (I work 10pm-6am).

We should definitely make every Tuesday night Halo 3 night though.

vhfive said:
I wish I could have stayed longer but I was working yesterday night (I work 10pm-6am).

We should definitely make every Tuesday night Halo 3 night though.

Sorry about not joining yesterday, I spotted you guys were playing infection and I wasnt really feeling it. Im 100% up for Halo 3 next Tuesday (but I think Friday nights should be Halo 3 night for the sake of us euro folk with work :p)

Yeah, I would have joined in on the Halo 3 as well, but Tuesday nights are Halo: Reach Night for me and my group of old high school friends.

Although to be honest I don't see myself regularly playing 3 every week. It's nice to go back once every month or so, but despite minor issues I'd rather play Reach when I get the chance.

Really digging the planned Classic changes:
- 1 grenade at spawn.
- Obejective! With NR/AR start!
- NR/AR start in Classic Rifles. (No more "Spawn, press Y.")

And the BTB tweaks can't come soon enough. Had some pretty frustrating CTF games on Hemorrhage last night due to base camping with the Drop Shield (that is being taken out, right?)

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
And the BTB tweaks can't come soon enough. Had some pretty frustrating CTF games on Hemorrhage last night due to base camping with the Drop Shield (that is being taken out, right?)
My biggest worry for the BTB update is keeping Drop Shields in. They can, or possibly will, single handily ruined the playlist. I haven't read anything regarding their removal or affirmation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ilovebtbdotcom

They have some of the BTB maps entering the playlist. Why not add the 1-flag/1-bomb styled Boneyard? Helluva lot better than the current setup.

ncsuDuncan said:
Really digging the planned Classic changes:
- 1 grenade at spawn.
- Obejective! With NR/AR start!
- NR/AR start in Classic Rifles. (No more "Spawn, press Y.")

He changed his decision ?! Hell yes.

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
He admitted he was trolling to get a reaction out of the community. It worked.

Tunavi, you done poked a hornet nest in Optimatch. I don't think it will end well, but I did what I could. :lol

Striker said:
My biggest worry for the BTB update is keeping Drop Shields in. They can, or possibly will, single handily ruined the playlist. I haven't read anything regarding their removal or affirmation.
Agreed.
Striker said:
They have some of the BTB maps entering the playlist. Why not add the 1-flag/1-bomb styled Boneyard? Helluva lot better than the current setup.
How is that version different? Any changed weapon placement or level geometry? Or are you saying it's just better because it's 1-flag.

xxjuicesxx said:
Well from the wording of the post it sounded like that "AR start" decision had never actually been made, it was just brought up as a possibility to gauge the reaction.

Whatever, sounds like he doesn't want to admit his decision sucked and played it as a troll...

Terrible save face in my opinion, but at least the outcome is good.

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
Agreed.

How is that version different? Any changed weapon placement or level geometry? Or are you saying it's just better because it's 1-flag.
Also check out their "BTB Coag" map. Looks really interesting. Bases are similar to Coagulation, but different. Kind of neat.

As for Boneyard. For one, you're not spawning on a pair of steps. The defensive base is built up in the core room with ample cover and strategy. Offenses are spawned behind the giant wall with vehicles. From their gameplay videos it seems pretty nice. Even locates the location of the Sniper spawns and other weapons/vehicles. The one now is just... awful, and it even allows for one to cross to the other open side of the map, which is unused nor are they any spawns - yet for some reason, there's vehicles over there.

Tunavi

Banned
Striker said:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ilovebtbdotcom

You bring up a great point. I posted on the optimatch forum, maybe Jeremiah might weigh in.

Also, that Boneyard 1 flag map variant does look awesome, we should try that out in customs some time.
GhaleonEB said:
Tunavi, you done poked a hornet nest in Optimatch. I don't think it will end well, but I did what I could. :lol
haha thats the only forum Jerimiah constantly reads and I hate the drop shield as much as you do.

Ghaleon, did you see double attack is coming back in May? Temporarily...

KevinRo

I dropped $50 on the Razer Onza yesterday.

The control pad and triggers suck balls. The button clicks and adjustable sticks are amazing. And I'm loving the rubber feel of the controller. I just dont understand why the control pad sucks so much donkey balls. Also, the ergonomic design of the controller is kinda weird, there is this really sharp part right near the bumpers that cuts me sometimes.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
Ghaleon, did you see double attack is coming back in May? Temporarily...
Yes. I asked why it was temporary (as did everyone else in the thread), and what game types would be in it. But as usual, Jeremiah would only speak to the what and not the why.

I'm looking forward to it, my daughter and I are going to romp all over Unearthed with the Rocket Hog on Score Attack 2X, where the thing can actually do damage. (Which means I need to re-install it.)

Top Bottom