• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, no. The Beta was pretty rough and they made a huge number of changes, some specifically based on feedback. Off the top of my head:

• Base player speed and jump height increased (due to feedback)
  • DMR and Nerfle clips increased
  • Vehicles overhauled; they're not great in Reach but they were awful in the Beta
  • Grenade nerf, beatdown slowed, armor lock nerfed
Let me continue:
  • Buffed armor lock: pulses took even less energy so you could block 5 or 6 melees/grenades before waiting to recharge. In addition, meleeing a armor locked opponent instantly resulted in losing your shields.
  • Elites shields recharged so quickly that they could evade around a corner and then evade back with full shields. SvE was a joke.
  • Focus rifle was ridiculous in CQC. It's fine where it is now, it requires steady aim but rewards good players with quicker kill times than the DMR.
  • Nade launcher exploded on impact no matter the distance. Functioned as a 6(?) round rocket launcher, requiring little precision and rewarding bad players.
  • Plasma launcher was nearly unavoidable. As it exists now it's situational and requires the user to actually think before they shoot.

Beta was utter garbage.

Only thing that was better in the beta was the AR's reduced power and the pistol's strength against it. Even then pistol on pistol firefights were an even greater spam-fest than they are now.

MrBig said:
Your opinions always seem to be whatever the devs want you to think.
Right. That's completely ignoring my numerous complaints and criticisms of Reach throughout the last four threads. The most vocal of which was my disappointment in altering the Pro Pipe's effectiveness at close range.

I've said before that I enjoyed Halo 3's multiplayer more than Reach.

Edit: To talk about Reach, I shall endeavor to put in a few games today. It's been awhile because I've been busy with Portal 2.

Dax01 said:
Right. That's completely ignoring my numerous complaints and criticisms of Reach throughout the last four threads. The most vocal of which was my disappointment in altering the Pro Pipe's effectiveness at close range.
Lake Minnetonka said:
Let me continue:
  • Nade launcher exploded on impact no matter the distance. Functioned as a 6(?) round rocket launcher, requiring little precision and rewarding bad players.

Dax01 said:
It's a pretty fair comparison. Halo 3, in the end, outclasses the Beta in every possible way that to make the general statement, "Halo 3 Beta > Halo 3" can't be taken seriously. I really enjoyed my time with the beta but I'd take the finished product over it any day.

Comparing map counts from a beta to a final game + 2 years of DLC is not fair at all.

Obviously the final product will offer you more selection. More gametypes, maps, playlists, etc. but if someone is saying that they liked a beta more than the final game they obviously aren't comparing those aspects, because you can't compare them. They are stating that they liked the gameplay more.

Steelyuhas said:
Comparing map counts from a beta to a final game + 2 years of DLC is not fair at all.

Obviously the final product will offer you more selection. More gametypes, maps, playlists, etc. but if someone is saying that they liked a beta more than the final game they obviously aren't comparing those aspects, because you can't compare them. They are stating that they liked the gameplay more.
Alright, fine, map count is not a fair comparison, but I was trying to get at was that, for whatever small gameplay tweaks that were made, what was added and what Halo 3 was in the end more than made up for it.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
Alright, fine, map count is not a fair comparison, but I was trying to get at was that, for whatever small gameplay tweaks that were made, what was added and what Halo 3 was in the end more than made up for it.
yes but if the gameplay from the beta where in the current Halo 3 with all the content, the game would be god tier :lol

wwm0nkey said:
I vote Bungie put the H3 beta back on just so we can see which one is better :)

I don't really remember the H3 beta that much. Some of the differences between the beta and the final game that I can remember.

-Carbine was better in the beta
-Different reticle on the Laser, was easier to use in the beta
-Sniper was H2 levels of ease of use
-Trip mine was incredibly powerful

What other differences were there?

Dax01 said:

Fair enough, but I think the point that some of us were making was that we wish some of the aspects of the beta carried over to the final game, at least thats how I feel about Reach's Beta (the weapon sandbox from the beta was superior in my opinion, so I would like to have that in the final game, with all the fixes and full list of features and maps of course).

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
I don't really remember the H3 beta that much. Some of the differences between the beta and the final game that I can remember.

-Carbine was better in the beta
-Different reticle on the Laser, was easier to use in the beta
-Sniper was H2 levels of ease of use
-Trip mine was incredibly powerful

What other differences were there?
I think AR was a tad more powerful but pretty much all the things you listed where why I loved the beta more, trip mine was actually a damn mine :lol

I personally like Halo 3 better than the Halo 3 beta.

Things I didn't like about the beta:

Getting shot in the head with the BR when you had shields basically blinded you.
3 nade types on snowbound made for annoying grenade cycling
Snowbound is just an awful map and it came up all the time
Carbine, while fun was too powerful (I whored it)
No pistol (outside of glitched customs)
armor color was awful (pastels? come on)
Equipment had no animation when deployed and could be done while dual wielding (without dropping 2nd gun)
Highground (it being bad for almost everything but 1 flag and assault)
Valhalla (kids glitching out of the map)

The only thing I miss from the beta (apart from the Face Melter) was Network Test 1/Generator Defense. When the connection was good, it was a great gametype. I wish there was a way to get it into the Firefight playlists since they can't seem to get Versus to work in a way where everyone can enjoy themselves.

squidhands said:
The only thing I miss from the beta (apart from the Face Melter) was Network Test 1/Generator Defense. When the connection was good, it was a great gametype. I wish there was a way to get it into the Firefight playlists since they can't seem to get Versus to work in a way where everyone can enjoy themselves.

I think that the Versus gametype that is on the disc is pretty fun (connection pending of course), but the version they tried to put in matchmaking was whack.

Steelyuhas said:
I think that the Versus gametype that is on the disc is pretty fun (connection pending of course), but the version they tried to put in matchmaking was whack.
I've yet to play it. Most people I know don't play any Firefight customs, so if you're (or anyone else is) down feel free to send me a FR. I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl.

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
Still think

Halo 3 Beta > Halo 3 > Halo: Reach > Halo: Reach beta.
None of the above -
sw8fpf.gif

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Heroic done. Really liked the campaign and excited to get online, even if I'll be abused. Considering the Hard Drive to get the full experience before Gear Fest is over but...yeah, 100$ for co-op.

kylej

Banned
Tunavi said:
Halo 3 and Reach are two completely different games. Doesn't mean I hate Reach

They're different, but I don't remember seeing this much negativity ever in the old threads. Even the old stalwarts like Ghaleon have been unusually miffed lately. Part of me hopes we'll get one last complete playlist refresh. I'll come back with good hoppers but right now matchmaking seems like the same mess its been since launch. Disappointing all in all.

Even though they changed the base speed and jump after the Reach beta, it was still slow as shit. Thats why its boosted in Classic...

So did they fix something or just slightly alter? Think about it.

Besides my complaints were never about clip size, and nade damage. I even suggested no dramatic changes to the nade, I said slightly shrink the radius. I liked it, it made the game a bit more tactical like a Gears or Shadowrun type gameplay/nade. Which really worked on maps like Sword Base where you have to flush. Flushing is hard in Halo because theres no Flash or Bangs and weakened Frags.

Tawpgun

I don't have the ODST maps. So.... could I still join?

Also, request still stands. Photoshop Halo Shotgun into avvy, replacing Ash's shotty.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
I don't have the ODST maps. So.... could I still join?

Also, request still stands. Photoshop Halo Shotgun into avvy, replacing Ash's shotty.
Yes and I'll do it in between games

tawpgun.jpg

Top Bottom