• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Havok said:
I've noticed a really large improvement. It's still not great, but it's better. Firefight in ODST and Campaign in Halo 3 were a total mess for the people off-host, with inputs taking practically a full half second to register at times, while I've done every single LASO run with a friend online, which flat out wouldn't have been possible before. However, I hope they either find a way to make it perfect, or move to a different model (Gears never had this issue as far as I remember, for example. On a related note, and this is pure speculation on my part, I think that the synchronous model might be one of the major barriers to doing jump-in jump-out coop in Halo.).

Fair enough. I guess in H3/ODST I just usually played campaign co-op or Firefight with people that had very good connections/were usually quite close to me geographically because I don't remember poor connections very often. Obviously that is opposed to playing Firefight MM in Reach.

GhaleonEB

On the subject of Firefight. Too many maps are festooned with too many crates. Glacier has well over 30 plopped around the base, and they are the main reason I refuse to play on the map. At least a quarter of my deaths are caused by getting snagged on some random crate or related bit of geometry, on most maps.
Steelyuhas said:
Oh so you don't refuse to play it for the reason everyone else does, it runs at a solid 15 FPS? :p
Okay, that too. :lol

The frame rate could probably be improved by removing the crates, alas.

Edit: The Challenge today is sort of hilarious after this conversation.

Speaking of getting snagged on things, Reach is the only game that I feel like I get 'snagged' or 'caught' on things. Happens to me in multiplayer as well as firefight sometimes, really frustrating when it happens.
I get caught on stuff a lot more than past Halo games. I keep meaning to go through and show the kinds of things Bungie did that causes the problems.

Booshka

I'd be down to play on XBC for some Halo 1 or Crimson Skies, dunno about H2. I always feel guilty not playing Halo 1 when I am on XBC, and playing H2 just heightens that feeling.

Lemme know, my name on XBC is Booshka, so add me as a buddy or whatever it's called.

GhaleonEB said:
On the subject of Firefight. Too many maps are festooned with too many crates. Glacier has well over 30 plopped around the base, and they are the main reason I refuse to play on the map. At least a quarter of my deaths are caused by getting snagged on some random crate or related bit of geometry, on most maps.

Oh so you don't refuse to play it for the reason everyone else does, it runs at a solid 15 FPS? :p

Speaking of getting snagged on things, Reach is the only game that I feel like I get 'snagged' or 'caught' on things. Happens to me in multiplayer as well as firefight sometimes, really frustrating when it happens.

Booshka said:
I'd be down to play on XBC for some Halo 1 or Crimson Skies, dunno about H2. I always feel guilty not playing Halo 1 when I am on XBC, and playing H2 just heightens that feeling.

Lemme know, my name on XBC is Booshka, so add me as a buddy or whatever it's called.

I'm down as well...my username is "emperorbohe"

Dax01 said:
I think I've seen the Essentials Visual Guide somewhere before, but I've never seen another Halo: Encyclopedia. Updated?
I'm not sure, but isn't the Essentials Visual guide that book that came with the Halo: Reach press-package?

Striker

Booshka said:

I would welcome Halo 2 or Halo 1. Either one is glorious enough for me.

Hypertrooper said:
it looks like that the Halo: The Essential Visual Guide isn't up to date. :(

Firefight Day, but 150 kills on Glacier? Oh that is going to be a game full of framedrops.
Since we're forced to play Glacier today, the best place for decent framerate is area near the second ammo crate. Good cover, elevated, has a mounted machine gun to count for vehicle kills, and I've rarely had any framerate issues in that spot. Just watch your back during the reinforcements; you could rack up a couple of Killamanjaro's if you time it right.

edit: yeah, very bottom works great with the unlimited ammo gametypes. :)

Louis Wu

squidhands said:
Since we're forced to play Glacier today, the best place for decent framerate is area near the second ammo crate. Good cover, elevated, has a mounted machine gun to count for vehicle kills, and I've rarely had any framerate issues in that spot. Just watch your back during the reinforcements; you could rack up a couple of Killamanjaro's if you time it right.
I have pretty good luck playing Sniperfight from down at the very bottom. Easy 0-death games.

KevinRo

Striker said:
I would welcome Halo 2 or Halo 1. Either one is glorious enough for me.

I'd play some Halo1 but the host advantage is ridiculous on xbc. You gotta really know how to lead and make sure you got all the timing on weapons and powerups. Also grenade throws for weapon launches otherwise you're going to get pooped on horribly.

KevinRo said:
I'd play some Halo1 but the host advantage is ridiculous on xbc. You gotta really know how to lead and make sure you got all the timing on weapons and powerups. Also grenade throws for weapon launches otherwise you're going to get pooped on horribly.

Yep. Halo CE is played on a way higher level than H2/H3/HR.

Striker

KevinRo said:
How is the population for it on weekdays or regular hours? I would just be willing to play good ol' CTF on Sidewinder or Blood Gulch. No need to go into Wizard, Battle Creek, or Hang 'Em High and get destroyed. :lol

monkey, what's your issue? They have pretty basic steps to run through.

wwm0nkey said:
How the hell did you get it to find your console?

Have your xbox on and searching for games and on XBC Tools > Find > My console

Striker said:
How is the population for it on weekdays or regular hours? I would just be willing to play good ol' CTF on Sidewinder or Blood Gulch.

4 player on those huge maps? No thanks. Remember Halo CE has a 4 xbox maximum on system link. Very rarely do you find people with more than one person on their xbox.

wwm0nkey

Anyone want me to put up the NPPtools.dll and newest Winpcap.exe if they are interested in trying out XBC? Also there where at least 20 people on just now so its not bad at all.

Crucio

You all this "framerate" stuff is getting annoying. Glacier is one of my favorite maps. I've never experienced lack of success in a game due to "framerate issues".

Sniperfight in glacier is an EASY 150 kill. It helps to be with 2-3 people instead of a full party.

Hey You

Am I the only one that absolutely hates Bungie Forged maps with a passion (Aslyum,Pinnacle,The Cage/Uncaged,Hemorrhage,Cliffhanger) ?

A lot of times it turns me off from playing My favorite Playlist (TO) in fear of getting these god awful maps.

Striker

My biggest gripe (aside from the Drop Shield of course) in there is the heavy amount of Stockpile that shows up.

Second is how Assault mostly appears on Hemorrhage, which should at least feature a DMR/NR start for one. I want to see it more on maps like Countdown, Zealot, Anchor 9, Asylum, and Tempest.

Also would like some FW maps added; why not Foundation (download and see), Midship (from the Classic playlist), Elongation (Classic playlist), and Noble Creek (Classic playlist)? 2 flag and bomb would be great.

Hey You said:
Am I the only one that absolutely hates Bungie Forged maps with a passion (Aslyum,Pinnacle,The Cage/Uncaged,Hemorrhage,Cliffhanger) ?

A lot of times it turns me off from playing My favorite Playlist (TO) in fear of getting these god awful maps.
I actually kind of like Cliffhanger, I do pretty well on it in TS (hologram FTW; got my only Perfection on that map). Never tried it in any other gametypes, so take it with a grain of salt. I have a fiery hatred for Pinnacle with any gametype, and Caged/Uncaged is a total disappointment from the guy who helped create Lockout. However, they serve as an excellent example of how not to forge a well-playing asymmetrical map. Asylum is decent, but I've seen/played on better forged versions. Hemorrhage is an outdated design that just doesn't hold up any more, but I never really liked the original(s) to begin with.

Heres my ranking of Reach maps:

Countdown
Powerhouse
Boardwalk
Sword Base
Zealot
Boneyard
Spire
Reflection
Forge World

I hate Forge World because there are so many maps that use it and they all are shit, its just included so they can release less real maps and still give us "plenty of options". They realized this after they made Forge but before Foundry. As long as Forge is a feature in Halo there will be a 'Foundry' level. Its a facade and we see through that shit. Where the fuck is Midship and The Pit or some new 'real' maps.

Noble Map:

Anchor 9
Tempest
Breakpoint

Defiant:

Condemned
High Lands
Unearthed

FF Maps:
Corvette
Courtyard
Beachhead
(Unearthed)
Outpost
Holdout
Overlook
Waterfront
Glacier - can't believe that shit was even released.

Striker said:
Wait. You like Cliffhanger, but you don't like Coagulation?
For a forged map, Cliffhanger is a good TS map. The camping spot sucks, but a decent sniper can take that guy out. And yeah, I'm a weirdo that never really enjoyed Coag/Blood Gulch. *shrug*

Striker

squidhands said:
For a forged map, Cliffhanger is a good TS map. The camping spot sucks, but a decent sniper can take that guy out. And yeah, I'm a weirdo that never really enjoyed Coag/Blood Gulch. *shrug*
I've found Cliffhanger pretty bad overall because how poor use it has spawns, and the middle structure promotes nothing but camping.

Hemorrhage is a mix of both with Bungie's odd decisions included - see: teleporter locations. Blood Gulch I think often gets overrated. Coagulation is better in every shape and form. The pinnacle of big team Halo.

xxjuicesxx said:
Heres my ranking of Reach maps:

Countdown
Powerhouse
Boardwalk
Sword Base
Zealot
Boneyard
Spire
Reflection
Forge World

I hate Forge World because there are so many maps that use it and they all are shit, its just included so they can release less real maps and still give us "plenty of options". They realized this after they made Forge but before Foundry. As long as Forge is a feature in Halo there will be a 'Foundry' level. Its a facade and we see through that shit. Where the fuck is Midship and The Pit or some new 'real' maps.

Noble Map:

Anchor 9
Tempest
Breakpoint

Defiant:

Condemned
High Lands
Unearthed

FF Maps:
Corvette
Courtyard
Beachhead
(Unearthed)
Outpost
Holdout
Overlook
Waterfront
Glacier - can't believe that shit was even released.

Countdown is solid.

Cliffhanger and Atom are some of the worst maps I've ever seen. Atom has that useless bottom section that requires you to go to the middle of the map if you want to get back up, and Cliffhanger has that giant cube in the middle restricting all sightlines

I like Countdown so much because it's one of the maps that gives a player plenty of movement options without having to rely on the jetpack.

I love the way the jetpack works in terms of the movement and physics, but I think a few maps in Reach are broken by whether or not it is included.

- Sword Base? If you choose sprint over jetpack and you want to get to the action, you either have to take the (heavily camped) airlifts or you have to walk the long spiral up to the top. The central gravlift is also a death trap.

- Boneyard? Same deal. You can jetpack to the good vantage points or you can make the long, long trek to the staircase you need. God help you if you get stranded in the open middle.

- I'm not even going to mention how much Atom relies on jetpacks.

- Reflection is an example of a map where there are enough ways to move around the level without a jetpack (due to its origin in Halo 2), but in this case the jetpack adds too many new angles to be attacked from. The ability to jump up to the sniper spawn makes that area far too dangerous to hold anymore. The jetpack also ruins the placement of the rocket launcher.

I think Reflection is fine without jetpacks, whereas Boneyard is painful without them.
Countdown has the perfect mix, where jetpacks can give someone a very slight shortcut, but doesn't completely ruin the best vantage points.
Zealot and Powerhouse are also good examples of this type of map, as well as Condemned, Anchor 9, Highlands.

Striker said:
I've found Cliffhanger pretty bad overall because how poor use it has spawns, and the middle structure promotes nothing but camping.

Hemorrhage is a mix of both with Bungie's odd decisions included - see: teleporter locations. Blood Gulch I think often gets overrated. Coagulation is better in every shape and form. The pinnacle of big team Halo.
Agreed. I don't really like teleporters in Halo because of the wretched camping that comes from it, with rare exceptions. The main thing I enjoy about Cliffhanger is that I can hang back at the base (never really camping anywhere) and provide support to everyone else on my team that rushes toward the middle/other side. It's a rarity for me to be able to play a solid assist role and still manage to rack up kills, so that adds to my overall enjoyment to the map. The only time I ever go towards the middle is to grab a dropped sniper or grenade launcher. And hologram is a blast to use.

The bases on Coag are a huge improvement over BG (another reason to dislike the FW version), but in all honesty I never played enough BTB on it to really have epic moments and enjoy myself. Could be part of my problem. ;-)

wwm0nkey

I dont think I have any favorite maps in Reach that came on the disc, they are all pretty mediocre to be honest :/

If I had to list games that had the best maps

Halo 2 > > > Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo: Reach.

This might all be because of how the games played though compared to each other.

My map rating is:

Zealot
Countdown
Asylum
Anchor 9
Condemned
Highlands
Tempest
Powerhouse
Reflection
Breakpoint
Uncaged
Boardwalk
Spire
Boneyard
Hemmorage
Paradiso
Sword Base
Pinnacle

I've always loved loved covenant themed maps and I really hate the looks of Countdown but I think it's a tie between those two. So what I find interesting from my list is that all my top maps are symetrical. (exept for Hemmorage and paradiso, kinda)

What I want from a new map pack is a invasion map that also works for BTB or just other playlists. Just make it so that the attackers have some kind of base at the beginning of the round, maybe a small covenant/UNSC ship close to the ground.

My two favorite maps in Reach are Tempest and Highlands. They're the reasons why I'm only playing the DLC playlists nowadays: those are the only playlists that I will have a chance to get those maps. Despite the maps being in every playlist, I never encounter DLC maps in any other playlist. From my experience, MM is terrible at matching me up with people who have DLC.

Dax01 said:
My two favorite maps in Reach are Tempest and Highlands. They're the reasons why I'm only playing the DLC playlists nowadays: those are the only playlists that I will have a chance to get those maps. Despite the maps being in every playlist, I never encounter DLC maps in any other playlist. From my experience, MM is terrible at matching me up with people who have DLC.

I rarely get the bigger maps like Tempest and Highlands but when I was playing objective about a week ago, I got Condemned 3 times in a row (I was playing alone and got other players each match).
And in TS, Anchor 9 isn't a very rare map either.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
lol, there were 59 grenade kills in this game last night.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=589709423&player=TJ Ram

I would say pretty much every death aside from rocket kills had some grenade assist to them, it was quite ridiculous. Territories is such a bad gametype, yet it pops up quite frequently in TO, although most idiots don't usually vote for it like these guys. :|

Hrm, not bad. I'm glad to see people using the Golden Trifecta™ properly, although you should use melee a bit more to even it out. Remember, the Golden Trifecta™ is what allows for the 30 Seconds of Fun™ that make Halo™ games so great. Guns, Grenades, Melee™. Good to know someone out there is playing the game as intended.

Dax01 said:

Yep same here. Really stings because the DLC maps are better than almost all of the disc maps.

Tha Robbertster said:
I rarely get the bigger maps like Tempest and Highlands but when I was playing objective about a week ago, I got Condemned 3 times in a row (I was playing alone and got other players each match).

Still have yet to play A9 in TS.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
I have pretty good luck playing Sniperfight from down at the very bottom. Easy 0-death games.
I had not tried that before, so today I did a game of Fiesta and then 2X Attack from down there, and got through both without dying (barely). The limited ammo and lack ammo rack made it pretty interesting, as I had to find suitable weapons to engage from afar, lest I get swarmed (which almost happened a few times). I had one crazy moment where three squads of Skirmishers spawned all around me; I'd worked forward a bit to pick off the Brute stragglers and didn't get to the far end fast enough. Ended up using a mix of 4-5 weapons in each game which was pretty fun.

Framerate was still terrible, but it was a lot more fun that using the base. I find the sight lines there infurtiating. (Those crates...)

As for maps, the only BTB map I think is really good is Tempest. It's a touch cramped for BTB, in the same way that Standoff was. But it still works and is very fun.

Beachhead is still the star of the Firefight lineup, in large part because I play 80% of the game way outside the base; I use the entire map. That's not the case with any other Firefight map, which punish roaming and reward camping. On Beachhead, Wraiths provide a good incentive not to turtle up, but the outside areas provide a good mix of cover and long sight lines across the map.

Tawpgun

They need to find a way to make online firefight work. I would play it so much more if it didn't lag. When I get a lag free game its glorious. No other coop game lags for me. Just Halo.

Tha Robbertster said:
Are you in Europe? There seems to be a huge experience difference between those in the States and those in Europe. I know that because I've mentioned my problems with getting DLC maps in matchmaking before, and everyone who replied that it appears frequently for them are in Europe. It's weird.

Steelyuhas said:
Still have yet to play A9 in TS.

Very weird. Most of the time I play in TS, I do it alone so that may be a cause but it doesn't seem very lickely to me. I mean, when you're playing with friends who have the map pack, the chances should be bigger. Have we had any word from Bungie on how the matching works exactly?

Dax01 said:
Are you in Europe? There seems to be a huge experience difference between those in the States and those in Europe. I know that because I've mentioned my problems with getting DLC maps in matchmaking before, and everyone who replied that it appears frequently for them are in Europe. It's weird.

Yes, I am from the Netherlands. Maybe more european people have the maps? But I have to say, I think most of my matches are against Americans. (I'm not sure though since I'm in a party most of the time and I don't get many people with mics)

Top Bottom