• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB

Ken said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=590478124&player=Chocopolka

Yay another Field Marshall who goes into FF, gets a few kills, and either goes AFK for the majority of the match or harasses the other players with concussion rifles and grenade launchers. Going by his game history he's spent the past 2 days doing this non-stop. Finding a FF game where all 4 players actually play is pretty difficult nowadays.
I've played with him, he did the same thing in my game, IIRC. In about 90% of my FF games, I use the player feedback system to avoid players from then on, due to lack of skill, griefing, or idling like that. I keep hoping I'll clear out the entire population of the Limited playlist eventually so I can just play alone. (Score Attack should have normal game types in it.)

I actually want and root for games where most players quit. I find Firefight in Reach to be much more enjoyable when it's me solo, or one other player. Most maps work best with two players due to their choke points (Courtyard, Corvette, Outpost). I'd prefer Beachhead with two if the time limit was longer; I can hold that map down solo but I always run out of time due to how spread out it is. Well, that and running like hell from the Elite Ultras for minutes on end.

Dani said:
Character art teachers? Microsoft Queen? Need more in-depth? 343 Industries is in charge of Frankie instead of the other way around?

Madness!

I was laughing so hard at that English translation when I read it.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm about 2/3 of the way through Halo Legends. It's about to storm, so the rest will have to wait.

I just started "The Babysitter," so I'll leave it off the list until I finish it.

Current favorites list (from most to least favorite):

"Odd One Out"
"Homecoming"
"Origins I/II"
"The Duel"
"Prototype"

And to go off your statement, Domino: Every morning when I wake up, I scour the Internet for a shred of news for the next game. I usually only find stuff like this.

After seeing the passion put into Halo Legends, I really want to know what 343 is doing.
You like Odd One out more than Prototype? I love Prototype. The action is amazing, the story is okay and the beginning is kind of emotional. "Be human" is the new "Carpe diem", dude!
of course it is not

My list:
Prototype
Origins I/II
Homecoming
The Package
The Babysitter
The Duell
Odd One Out
And I loved Digimon!

Hypertrooper said:
You like Odd One out more than Prototype? I love Prototype. The action is amazing, the story is okay and the beginning is kind of emotional. "Be human" is the new "Carpe diem", dude!
of course it is not

My list:
Prototype
Origins I/II
Homecoming
The Package
The Babysitter
The Duell
Odd One Out
And I loved Digimon!
Odd One Out is perfectly placed within the movie. After the serious, dramatic works of the previous pieces, the zaniness and hilarity of Odd One Out had me at the first scene and didn't let go.

Spartan 1337, you'll always be my hero. <3.

There's something about Prototype that felt missing. The action was fantastic, but it seemed empty. It was like watching the "Transformers" movies: flashy but unsatisfying.

Oh God, now I have "The Lion King" in my head. Slimy but satisfying.

Dani said:
Character art teachers? Microsoft Queen? Need more in-depth? 343 Industries is in charge of Frankie instead of the other way around?

Madness!

So here's a new article with a slightly better translation. It said that Halo 4 might be announced at E3, and that the company has been working on it since 2010.

My guess: It's the remake, if anything. One year is too short to show off a AAA title.

Ramirez said:
What do you mean you're working on it? Just delete the rocks, done. Am I missing something?

No more has to be put in, cover needs to be added in on certain sides and I am going to put a power weapon in the cave, or some sort of weapon, otherwise no one is going to go there.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Odd One Out is perfectly placed within the movie. After the serious, dramatic works of the previous pieces, the zaniness and hilarity of Odd One Out had me at the first scene and didn't let go.

Spartan 1337, you'll always be my hero. <3.

There's something about Prototype that felt missing. The action was fantastic, but it seemed empty. It was like watching the "Transformers" movies: flashy but unsatisfying.

Oh God, now I have "The Lion King" in my head. Slimy but satisfying.

So here's a new article with a slightly better translation. It said that Halo 4 might be announced at E3, and that the company has been working on it since 2010.

My guess: It's the remake, if anything. One year is too short to show off a AAA title.

All you need is one brief trailer for a unfinished game to get someone pumped up.

SORRY for the double post that was an accident.

GhaleonEB said:
I've played with him, he did the same thing in my game, IIRC. In about 90% of my FF games, I use the player feedback system to avoid players from then on, due to lack of skill, griefing, or idling like that. I keep hoping I'll clear out the entire population of the Limited playlist eventually so I can just play alone. (Score Attack should have normal game types in it.)

I actually want and root for games where most players quit. I find Firefight in Reach to be much more enjoyable when it's me solo, or one other player. Most maps work best with two players due to their choke points (Courtyard, Corvette, Outpost). I'd prefer Beachhead with two if the time limit was longer; I can hold that map down solo but I always run out of time due to how spread out it is. Well, that and running like hell from the Elite Ultras for minutes on end.

The best games of firefight I have ever played were those double firefight games with you, and that one generator defense game that WE WON >.>

Okay, I finished the movie. Am I the only one disappointed with The Package?

Final list:

"Odd One Out"
"Homecoming"
"Origins I/II"
"The Babysitter"
"The Duel"
"Prototype"
"The Package"

Damn fine way to spend a Thursday night.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Karl2177 said:
Kinda like Tashi with kills in MLG.

I kid, I kid. He would probably dominate me any day.

No that's accurate. I've choked on 2 overkills today already lol.

Hey You

I personally think Firefight Arcade would be better off with 3 people. On most of the games, I think 4 is too many people for the amount of enemies there is.

Domino Theory said:
Tell me about it.

I still read this thread regularly but have lost the urge to post, mostly because if I post, it'll be about 343 or the next Halo because that's all I'm interested in, but many people here don't seem interested in that yet (at least, from what I'm getting, I could be wrong) and just want to talk about Reach (which is completely understandable given the nature of the thread; I'm not complaining, mind you).

It is tough to post about a game that you don't have a lot of interest in playing haha.

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:
Okay, I finished the movie. Am I the only one disappointed with The Package?

Final list:

"Odd One Out"
"Homecoming"
"Origins I/II"
"The Babysitter"
"The Duel"
"Prototype"
"The Package"

Damn fine way to spend a Thursday night.

Goddamn what the ff...So off from my list.

Origins
The Duel/Babysitter (interchangeable)
The Package (if you can get past the extreme cheesiness)
Prototype
Odd one Out
Homecoming

Kuroyume

Banned
Louis Wu said:
Jesus.

On a day when there's a challenge requiring more than one game on Glacier, TWICE I go through the ENTIRE voting process not seeing Glacier ONCE.

The second time Beachhead came up three times.

Matchmaking lol

Play what you want... When you want... NEVER

Steelyuhas said:
Just saw a video of the Reach beta. Did they lengthen the amount of time it takes to switch weapons in the final game?

Wouldn't surprise me... More help for AR users.

Anyway, finally took a look at the BWU and I thought Squad Slayer was going to be pointless until I saw this:

Squad Slayer is a new 5v5 playlist featuring Squad Slayer (AR/Magnum) and Squad Slayer DMRs (DMR/AR) game variants. Both game variants will be 75 kills to win and offer Sprint, Hologram, Jetpack and Active Camo abilities.

No Evade. No Armor Lock. This could be the first Reach playlist without any huge annoying problems... Well, other than hardly anyone playing it.

Louis Wu said:
Jesus.

On a day when there's a challenge requiring more than one game on Glacier, TWICE I go through the ENTIRE voting process not seeing Glacier ONCE.

The second time Beachhead came up three times.
Happened to me last night, it was infuriating. The current voting systems for Score Attack is complete bullshit. And does anyone even play the abomination that is Skirmageddon? Once was all I needed to find out how horrible of a gametype it is.

I will say that Fiesta Attack is the greatest thing ever for Score Attack. Love it.

Louis Wu said:
Thanks! Good read, though somebody goofed:
And, according to Butcher, exactly what was intended: “Don’t forget that The Library comes right after the Silent Cartographer – the pinnacle of your engagement with the Covenant. We wanted to change the pace and give you something different, and also it was about populating a space we had already designed.”

Louis Wu

Hitmonchan107 said:
Great read, although it's in need of a good copy editor and a better lede.
Really? I thought the copy was quite good. (Where did it need help?)

(Heh - well, past that missing 'best' in the first sentence... :) )

Louis Wu said:

Hitmonchan is just trying to find an excuse to send his résumé to Edge.

You better watch out if you want to keep hold of your newest HBO reporter...

:p

Louis Wu said:

- firstperson shooter (missing hypen)
- "We look back to when Bungie started the fight, and defined the console firstperson shooter." (comma splice)
- funnelled (only one L)
- "And then we wanted to get out of them and run around as an infantry guy and from there it snowballed into what we eventually shipped." (run-on sentence)
- "Attaching camera control to steering shouldn’t have worked, but granted drivers the opportunity to fully observe their surroundings, like a mouse click directing the field of view of an RPG avatar." (comma splice)

Style errors:
- "A big part of why Halo’s environments are such a pleasure to traverse is how you traverse them" (repetition of traverse)
- "and upon considering that one of Halo’s prototype forms was an RTS" (far too wordy)
- "Talking about why Halo was and is brilliant almost risks turning into a checklist" (Why not, "Talking about the brilliance of Halo...")
- shoot you lots (Maybe this one is just me. lol)

That's just the first page. One could argue that "defined the console firstperson shooter" is a shift in tone that required a comma. I say that "defined the console firstperson shooter" is not a complete sentence. lol

And if I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know. Lord knows I'm far from perfect.

Louis Wu

Hitmonchan107 said:
- firstperson shooter (missing hypen)
Okay, I'll buy this.

- "We look back to when Bungie started the fight, and defined the console firstperson shooter." (comma splice)
Hmm. They're two separate actions (related, but separate). Comma seems like a legit choice to me.

- funnelled (only one L)
According to my dictionaries (I checked two), they're both acceptable spellings.

- "And then we wanted to get out of them and run around as an infantry guy and from there it snowballed into what we eventually shipped." (run-on sentence)
This is 1) a quote, and 2) fully understandable as-is. I'd have left it alone, as well.

- "Attaching camera control to steering shouldn’t have worked, but granted drivers the opportunity to fully observe their surroundings, like a mouse click directing the field of view of an RPG avatar." (comma splice)
Eh. Removing the comma makes it MUCH harder to understand. (I'd be parsing it in my head a couple of times before I got it right.) I don't know what the rules are for this - but I like it better with than without.

Style errors:
- "A big part of why Halo’s environments are such a pleasure to traverse is how you traverse them" (repetition of traverse)
- "and upon considering that one of Halo’s prototype forms was an RTS" (far too wordy)
- "Talking about why Halo was and is brilliant almost risks turning into a checklist" (Why not, "Talking about the brilliance of Halo...")
- shoot you lots (Maybe this one is just me. lol)

All of these are certainly legitimate corrections (though I'd also say only the first is absolutely in NEED of correction - Edge favors a slightly wordy style to begin with).

One could argue that "defined the console firstperson shooter" is a shift in tone that required a comma. I say that "defined the console firstperson shooter" is not a complete sentence. lol
I guess my argument would be that the two sentences that are combined with that comma are

We look back to when Bungie started the fight.
We look back to when Bungie defined the console firstperson shooter.

Those are both complete sentences. :)

You're right, though - could certainly have done with a once-over. ;)

Falagard

Hitmonchan107 said:
And if I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know. Lord knows I'm far from perfect.

You started your sentence with the word "And" and therefore created a sentence fragment. You fail.

I'll only touch on these two things:

Louis Wu said:
This is 1) a quote, and 2) fully understandable as-is. I'd have left it alone, as well.
Unless this was an email interview, it's acceptable to change the commas in a sentence if it doesn't change what he was saying.

Louis Wu said:
Eh. Removing the comma makes it MUCH harder to understand. (I'd be parsing it in my head a couple of times before I got it right.) I don't know what the rules are for this - but I like it better with than without.
I would've suggested rewriting the sentence. :^)

Falagard said:
You started your sentence with the word "And" and therefore created a sentence fragment. You fail.
:^) I'd just like to say that you can start your sentences with "and," but I'll concede for the sake of getting back to Halo talk.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
Win. (Sentence fragment.)

When one of the three articles I'm posting goes up, grammar GAF can fuck off. :)

The hydra appears to be sleeping today.

HaloGAF continues to impress and deliver even after everything seems to have been done before. I don't think we've dissected an article like this before. lol.

Top Bottom