• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB

The Hydra woke up.

I got what I usually want, a solo game in Firefight Limited, when my lone partner quit out of Courtyard at the start. And it went well, for a while, until the game decided to deliver an ass kicking of epic proportions.

I held the tide back for a little while.

The subsequent boss wave saw six Elites break formation and attack at once, which didn't end well. And on the second wave of the next round, yet another pod of Elite Ultras lands - during the Hunter/Elite/Grunt round. And that was when my time was up.

Still, I wish I could do this in matchmaking more often.
squidhands said:
Imagine if the article was comparing and contrasting the merits of the Battle Rifle to the DMR. Egads, my brain twitches just thinking about it...
Shit. I do that in my Reach Campaign review. It's sort of the core thesis. :lol

Imagine if the article was comparing and contrasting the merits of the Battle Rifle to the DMR. Egads, my brain twitches just thinking about it...

GhaleonEB said:
When one of the three articles I'm posting goes up, grammar GAF can fuck off. :)
I wouldn't do that to you (or to anyone else I know). I actually feel like a jerk for doing that to the Edge article.

Is anyone down for a few games tonight around 7 p.m.? I'm going to my best friend's bachelor party this weekend, so tonight might be the only chance I get to play some Halo.

And I have "Lemme Smang It" stuck in my head. FML.

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Win. (Sentence fragment.)

When one of the three articles I'm posting goes up, grammar GAF can fuck off. :)

The hydra appears to be sleeping today.
Actually, if win is being used as a commanding verb, that is a complete sentence. Haha

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Where is it? Are you close to finishing it yet?
I'm alternating between the Challenge article and Reach campaign review. Both are gelling nicely. The review is further along, and I'm giving it a very strong polish pass this weekend. I want it posted by next weekend. Right now I'm re-writing some of the longer sections to make them more compact and less verbose. (Just did vehicles.)
Tunavi said:
Actually, if win is being used as a commanding verb, that is a complete sentence. Haha
Dammit. I often feel as if I use English as if it were my second language, but I have no first language.

Quick question, possibly been answered a million times before, but can you turn off Halo's stat tracking or hide it for a particular player?

My girlfriend just started playing Halo. She and I had an excellent discussion about how Halo's stats can open up an opportunity for stalking or, at the very least, an invasion of some kind of privacy. Time stamping is a big example. "You were playing Halo: Reach on this day, but you were supposed to be at my wedding!"

GhaleonEB

I've concluded changes like this will never be made, but I'm going to periodically keep asking anyways. Hope springs eternal.

Please disable Hazards on the bonus round at the end of a Firefight Limited set. Getting to a bonus round - without dying, no less - is awesome. Having your entire squad wiped out immediately by a four pack of Elite Ultras, buffed by Tilt and Mythic, is not awesome. I don't think anyone even killed more than a couple Grunts, we were all running and/or throwing everything we had at the Elites. We never dropped one, and lasted about 15 seconds.

Alright so after watching Tashi play some H2 the other day, then deciding to play a couple games of H3 yesterday, and now playing some Reach for the first time in about a week I have some random thoughts.

-Aiming in Reach is significant smoother than in H3, but still nothing compared to the butter smooth aiming of H2.
-Asylum is a disgrace to Sanctuary, and I can't believe that Bungie remade possibly my favorite Halo made with a disgrace of a forge remake that doesn't even have many of the properties that made it such a great map in H2. As part of the matchmaking updates, I would like to see Bungie forge a better Asylum.
-The grenades in Reach are awful.

Why do teammates shoot you? I don't get it, what is fun about that? In my first two games, multiple teammates were running around shooting friendlies. Also, I just quit out of a game, which is very very rare for me.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Steelyuhas said:
Alright so after watching Tashi play some H2 the other day, then deciding to play a couple games of H3 yesterday, and now playing some Reach for the first time in about a week I have some random thoughts.

-Aiming in Reach is significant smoother than in H3, but still nothing compared to the butter smooth aiming of H2.
-Asylum is a disgrace to Sanctuary, and I can't believe that Bungie remade possibly my favorite Halo made with a disgrace of a forge remake that doesn't even have many of the properties that made it such a great map in H2. As part of the matchmaking updates, I would like to see Bungie forge a better Asylum.
-The grenades in Reach are awful.

Why do teammates shoot you? I don't get it, what is fun about that? In my first two games, multiple teammates were running around shooting friendlies. Also, I just quit out of a game, which is very very rare for me.

MLG already did it.

LAUGHTREY said:
MLG already did it.

But that is only in the MLG playlist, the one they use is not nearly the best Sanctuary out there and still lacks important aspects that made Sanctuary great. They are however working on a much better one for their next version of their settings.

I sent what I have found to be probably the best and more efficiently forged Sanctuary to Jeremiah to ask him if he would consider replacing Asylum. He said that it didn't perform as well as Asylum in 4-way split so it was not usable.

The fact that Sanctuary was a part of Forge World in this game is wrong to begin with because you cannot make an accurate Sanctuary that performs good in 4-way split.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Do you mean split screen or 4 teams on the map?

Because default asylum doesn't work with either, I get lag just playing by myself.

Hey You

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the May update. I will play BTB more than I do now.

DJ Lushious said:
Quick question, possibly been answered a million times before, but can you turn off Halo's stat tracking or hide it for a particular player?

My girlfriend just started playing Halo. She and I had an excellent discussion about how Halo's stats can open up an opportunity for stalking or, at the very least, an invasion of some kind of privacy. Time stamping is a big example. "You were playing Halo: Reach on this day, but you were supposed to be at my wedding!"
Nope.

GhaleonEB

He means four way split screen.

Though, you should send it to him again. The reason Squad Battle is being added to the playlists is because it will only use non-Forge World maps (aka, shipping and DLC). It will be set to support 4-way split screen, while Team Slayer will be 2-way only in order to accommodate a range of community-created Forge World maps.

With the bar lowered to the the 2-way split, there's no reason not to incorporate a better version of Asylum. (I don't think one will be added.)
Steelyuhas said:
I will, but personally, I won't playing any Team Slayer once Squad Slayer comes out. No Armor Lock in Squad Slayer. Asylum is listed as a map for Squad Slayer by the way, so there is one forge world map in the playlist.
Oh, the irony.

LAUGHTREY said:
Do you mean split screen or 4 teams on the map?

Because default asylum doesn't work with either, I get lag just playing by myself.

Yeah I know it doesn't, but apparently it was good enough for Bungie.

GhaleonEB said:
He means four way split screen.

Though, you should send it to him again. The reason Squad Battle is being added to the playlists is because it will only use non-Forge World maps (aka, shipping and DLC). It will be set to support 4-way split screen, while Team Slayer will be 2-way only in order to accommodate a range of community-created Forge World maps.

With the bar lowered to the the 2-way split, there's no reason not to incorporate a better version of Asylum. (I don't think one will be added.)

I will, but personally, I won't playing any Team Slayer once Squad Slayer comes out. No Armor Lock in Squad Slayer. Asylum is listed as a map for Squad Slayer by the way, so there is one forge world map in the playlist.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Since I've been switching between Halo 2 and Reach lately I've come to appreciate Reach more. It does a good job of giving feedback to the player. When a bullet hits and registers, I know it 100%. I can tell how weak a guy is just by looking at his shields. Shields popping and making noises seems like a small addition but it's huge. With Halo 2, I find myself guessing and hoping more. Shots at long distance don't register too well and if they do, I don't really have a way of knowing. I'm speaking to online play of course. Grenades are ok. I think Reach's grenades and Halo 2's grenades are equally faulty. I miss the instasplosion when I play Halo 2.

Movement around the maps feels better in Reach right now. It's probably because I haven't played Halo 2 is a long time so I'm just re-adjusting to the settings. The jumping is so floaty and you jump so damn high. Reach feels tighter but after more games I know I'd be running around in Halo 2 like I used to. I also found that I would rather play Halo 2 these days without all the glitching. BXR and BXB and Double shots are pretty annoying. I still find myself using them and grenade reloading as well. The BR with the grenades and normal melees just works so damn well though. I'm kind of torn.

Sniping is pretty insane in Halo 2. The time between bullets is so damn short. I feel like it takes off some emphasis on getting headshots with it. You can kill a guy with 2 quick body really fast. YY reloading adds to that as well. I do miss the maps too. I played some Beaver Creek yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I played a ton of Midship FFA and those were a lot of fun too. That's when FFA in Halo was at its pinnacle. Lockout was a lot of fun too but I think a lot of people forgot about how bad the spawns are on that map. They're not awful but they're certainly not good. The fact that it's a very standoff type of map just magnifies that.

I'm still gonna keep playing both though. I'm having a lot of fun with both games.

GhaleonEB said:
I've concluded changes like this will never be made, but I'm going to periodically keep asking anyways. Hope springs eternal.
I'll join you in this crusade:

Please release a title update that adds the option to remove bloom from the game. Getting into a firefight and relying on luck to come out on top sucks ass. It's gotten to a point where even I get angry when I get a lucky headshot when desperation spamming.

Tashi0106 said:
Since I've been switching between Halo 2 and Reach lately I've come to appreciate Reach more. It does a good job of giving feedback to the player. When a bullet hits and registers, I know it 100%. I can tell how weak a guy is just by looking at his shields. Shields popping and making noises seems like a small addition but it's huge. With Halo 2, I find myself guessing and hoping more.
Knowing when and from where you're taking damage and what players shields are at visually was a lot worse in Halo 2 but I think it's much better in H3 than in Reach. Reach is very spectacular when it comes to shields flaring up but Halo 3 had a very clear swell until bursting where Reach is just an amalgam of wild particle effects that pop up randomly. I'll often see what looks like a players shields flaring up as they go through their death animation.

This along with that death-cushion which results in delayed deaths make knowing that the headshot you just lined up did/will actually kill them must harder. I often find myself and see other players shoot an extra shot after the killing bullet because of this. In Halo 3 I had the confidence of sending that final burst then immediately turning away to engage other enemies where in Reach I can't.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll pass it along. Pro Pipe Fridays at Halogaf, I'm calling it now. After watching these I realize that I can never pull off those bank shots you guys are hitting. Your ways; I must know them. *hopes semicolon is used correctly*

Hitmonchan107 said:
Is anyone down for a few games tonight around 7 p.m.? I'm going to my best friend's bachelor party this weekend, so tonight might be the only chance I get to play some Halo.

I should be on soon, just have to eat some trash and take out the food.

Wait, strike that. Reverse it.

Tunavi

Banned
I've realized that the team that wins the initial battle over shotgun on countdown will win most of the time.

Chocopolka, nice perfection against the team of armor lockers

and oh my god, we just played with a random who got a negative perfection.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
7000 Credits, Urk?

That's, what, two or three average games worth? What's the point of a "Jackpot bonus" if the payout is so low?

That amount is meaningless to anyone with a decent rank, it barely makes the rank progress bar move a few pixels on my screen.

Why not simply do double Credit playlists or something more substantial? The possibility of 7,000 extra Credits per day, and 21,000 over the course of the weekend just isn't working for me at all.

I need a million Credits and more between ranks these days and the Credits system just doesn't keep up with the payouts relative to my rank.

Dani said:
7000 Credits, Urk?

That's, what, two or three average games worth? What's the point of a "Jackpot bonus" if the payout is so low?

That amount is meaningless to anyone with a decent rank, it barely makes the rank progress bar move a few pixels on my screen.

Why not simply do double Credit playlists or something more substantial? The possibility of 7,000 extra Credits per day, and 21,000 over the course of the weekend just isn't working for me at all.

I need a million Credits and more between ranks these days and the Credits system just doesn't keep up with the payouts relative to my rank.

Agreed, and the fact you can only win once per day sucks. That said this jackpot bonus should apply everyday but require 5 or more games to trigger it as something that could happen. As it stands though the ability to earn 21K credits in 3 matches is nothing to be sniffed at. (but I wonder how many matches it would take to come up!)

Im bored of Reach, so faster ranking up is not going to drag me back in, ill wait for the next playlist update.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dani said:
7000 Credits, Urk?

Not to step on Ninja's toes, but I believe the plan is to increase the payout week over week. This is just numero uno. Plenty of people will enjoy a quick 21k over the weekend.

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
Movement around the maps feels better in Reach right now. It's probably because I haven't played Halo 2 is a long time so I'm just re-adjusting to the settings. The jumping is so floaty and you jump so damn high.
Don't go to Halo 3 where it's feel near like you're in a zero grav area. Halo 2's jump had just enough of a "float" to lift you to the area you expected to jump to.

Plus it has the precision weapon that you know will hit your opponent when you shoot him. :)

urk said:
Not to step on Ninja's toes, but I believe the plan is to increase the payout week over week. This is just numero uno. Plenty of people will enjoy a quick 21k over the weekend.

Thats cool to hear, but since I like to bitch and moan incessantly why the hell was that second Blame Stosh video so special? I think Dax would like words with you for even agreeing to put that up there! :p

From the BWU:
If we round that up to 10 minutes to account for postgame time and matchmaking time, that’s 144 games in a 24 hour period for one team. The average cow yields about 84 lbs. of steak, assuming 8 oz. steaks...we’ll need 1.7 cows.

My guess? A 24 hour community playdate in the Double Team playlist, with rotating teams of 2 Bungie employees

144 Games * 2 Players = 288 Steaktaculars for the Halo fans

288 steaks * 8 oz. = 2,304 oz. (of steak owed to fans)
84 lbs (per cow) * 16 oz. (per pound) = 1,344 oz. (of steak per cow)

2,304 / 1,344 = 1.71 cows needed.

Just a guess. I'd also consider it's connected to Doubles Attack, but you can't earn Steaktaculars in Firefight.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
urk said:

No doubt many folks will gladly take the extra payouts. Guess I'm unhappy with the fact I seemed to have hit a wall some time ago in regards to the amount of Credits it takes to rank up relative to the average payout of a typical game.

Even Weekly Challenges feel like chump change at this stage.

People getting riled up over credits while the playlists are in the state they're in. If you still care about credits at this point, you have a lot more to be concerned about than how many Bungie are throwing your way.

Urk, you guys just hired a new community content writer, and now the Friday updates are going away?

You got some 'splainin' to do!

Also, I liked the Frankie shout out you threw in there. :^p

Tunavi said:
The beta had a noob tube, Reach has a pro-pipe
it wasn't that easy to use, but you could get a kill without the grenade being right on top of them. I just feel like it's almost not worth picking up most of the time.

Top Bottom