• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Striker

Domino Theory said:
Considering the state of Reach and its matchmaking updates, how is that a bad thing?
The MM updates have been heavily improved upon since the last game. There could be things like the removal of DS's in MP or Living Dead removed from being a permanent playlist, but you know the saying, it's nice to want things.

Awaiting the arrival of the BTB playlist so I just can enjoy the best gametypes Halo has to offer, CTF and Assault.

E3 also should be really interesting. Excited to see what 343 has in store.

Ramirez

Striker said:
The MM updates have been heavily improved upon since the last game. There could be things like the removal of DS's in MP or Living Dead removed from being a permanent playlist, but you know the saying, it's nice to want things.

Awaiting the arrival of the BTB playlist so I just can enjoy the best gametypes Halo has to offer, CTF and Assault.

E3 also should be really interesting. Excited to see what 343 has in store.

The little things that haven't been changed drag the game down so badly that it totally negates anything else that's been updated or fixed really, so I think saying the playlist management is better than 3 is debatable.

Dax01 said:
Come on, now. I wasn't talking about playlist management. I've been going to Bnet almost every Friday to see the Weekly Update (only once can I recall it was delayed until a Saturday) since early 2006. Not to mention it's been the same amount of time for me to go up n Bnet to look up my Halo stats. I said it before, and I'll say it again, it's gonna be a sad day when I can't go on to Bnet to look up mah Halo stats.

Agreed. Looking at stats on bnet has been a part of Halo for me. It will be very sad to see it go, especially so soon after launch. We are possibly looking at stats being ripped away less than a year after the launch of the game. I would have never thought it would happen that fast. It's a shame, the website guys really hit the Reach online stats out of the park, it's amazing all the things you can look at and filter, and less than a year from launch (possibly) that support is already gone.

Striker

Ramirez said:
The little things that haven't been changed drag the game down so badly that it totally negates anything else that's been updated or fixed really, so I think saying the playlist management is better than 3 is debatable.
Really? It's the polar opposite for me and this game has only been out for seven months. This time for Halo 3, we still had Team Snipers/Shotty Snipers in ranked Team Slayer, Team Objective was dead because no changes were made, though I can say the same for BTB (hello VIP on Sandtrap), and still had AR starts (and still do for most playlists) across the board in Social. Took how long to remove or alter the maps like Snowbound and The Pit which were plagued with hilarities like the shield doors and top building spawns? Hilariously forged "cover" in Standoff for Team Snipers. Equipment was never altered in any form, just had pieces removed. The community maps, aside from MLG which added their own, was the one and only Smashed. I would rather play 10 hours non-stop on The Cage than play one minute of Smashed. What a piece of shit. But really, those complaints were just within the first year and were just the tip of the iceberg for later.

Gui_PT

Who needs a partner for the weekly and is interested in having a go at it later tonight?

Can't seem to get anyone to do it with

Letters said:
I remember a time when this would sound like a really bad thing. As a huge fan of Halo I'm very grateful for the past decade, we owe everything to them, but I can't wait for them to just let it go now and move on to things they feel passion for and leave this to other folks that will treat it with the respect and responsibility it deserves.

If Halo 3 was the last Bungie made Halo game I would have a totally different opinion on how I feel about Bungie leaving Halo. However since Halo 3 they have been very vocal about how they wanted a different style of gameplay to dominate and now that I assume they have come closer to achieving there true vision of Halo with Reach I cant help but feel that I would prefer a developer with the older mechanics in mind to take over.

If you read the Gears thread there are similar conversations going on in there, newer players to the series want the game to play one way and the old school fans want it to play the way its always played, (I think the Gears 3 beta pleases the oldschool fans). I hope 343 can bring back that classic Halo brand of fun with the next game.

Bungie are amazing developers, they have perfected the technology and can build some very solid games, they are also extremely innovative but because there idea of fun differs so much from mine now im sort of glad they are shifting away from Halo. Its all subjective but there has been a real change in how the games play over the years, and I doubt that as many of the guys at Bungie who made the Halo games I enjoyed are still there.

I will be checking out Bungie's next project, im really excited to see what types of innovations they can bring about in other games but my real hype is to see what 343 can do with Halo.

Gui_PT said:
Who needs a partner for the weekly and is interested in having a go at it later tonight?

Can't seem to get anyone to do it with

When do you want to do it? Im up for it but probably a lot later.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
When do you want to do it? Im up for it but probably a lot later.

I'll be busy during most of the afternoon, but definitely available after 7 or 8 pm. So let me know whenever you want to go for it

Gui_PT said:
I'll be busy during most of the afternoon, but definitely available after 7 or 8 pm. So let me know whenever you want to go for it

Sounds good! Ill try and jump on around then, I think your roughly an hour behind or in front of me but ill probably spot you online in the evening sometime. I havent played Firefight for a LONG time so im kinda looking forward to it lol. Lake Minnitoka if this isnt fun I blame you. :p

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
Sounds good! Ill try and jump on around then, I think your roughly an hour behind or in front of me but ill probably spot you online in the evening sometime. I havent played Firefight for a LONG time so im kinda looking forward to it lol. Lake Minnitoka if this isnt fun I blame you. :p

You're from the UK, right? Same timezone

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Plywood said:
It prioritizes matching you up with players who have the same maps as you do, so for how often well mileage varies. Having friends who have the packs help the packs come up more often. If you want to play the the DLC packs themselves you'd go into either Noble or Defiant playlist.
Alright, thats good. I'm hoping to see some Defiant maps while playing, because at least they don't look like carbon copies of the campaign. Obviously I'm not at the same level as anyone else here, so thats the only thing that was disappointing to me in the MP so far. I'm quite enjoying everything else considering I'm PC-exclusive.

Kuroyume

Banned
Will be interesting to see what 343 does with the game once they have total control. They should make the changes people have been asking for and not just wait until they release their game before they begin to leave their imprint on Halo. I know many of us are already looking forward to the next Halo but Reach is only a few months old and you shouldn't just toss it to the side and focus on the next thing if you can improve Reach. Whether that means a title update or playlist changes only I don't know but at the very least playlist changes should finally be made.

Trasher

xxjuicesxx said:
No difference between Shishka and NoF. Both are afraid of making any real changes.

Hire Juices.
I think there's more to it than it just being Shishka and NoF's fault. There's gotta be one or more people higher up the ladder maybe controlling what they can actually do with the playlists. Doesn't make sense that both of these guys had the exact same results.

Tha Robbertster said:
Just got something pretty weird in matchmaking: I was being assasinated from a weird angle and that angle made it so that I could still kill my enemie who was assasinating me. I got a showstopper from that which I thought was quite awesome. Here is the clip (unrendered): http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17283733&player=Robbert014
You may not have saved the game, but I'd really like to see that from a 3rd person perspective. Probably looks pretty funny.

Bobs, I've been playing Halo3 again. If you ever see me on, send me an invite. I'm terrible, but that's okay because I know you can carry me lol.

Deputy Moonman said:
You may not have saved the game, but I'd really like to see that from a 3rd person perspective. Probably looks pretty funny.

The clip is only 5 seconds long, but if you download it to your xbox, I think you can see it actually. but if that doesn't work, I'll look if I can get the full film in my fileshare.

And part 2 of the mona lisa is up on waypoint and the site: http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/featured/video/the-mona-lisa-2/1ae1019e-7c43-4273-a0a0-340a23749434 Still not much action but I think that the 3th or 4th episode will be a little better then the previous 2.

Hey You

Trasher said:
I think there's more to it than it just being Shishka and NoF's fault. There's gotta be one or more people higher up the ladder maybe controlling what they can actually do with the playlists. Doesn't make sense that both of these guys had the exact same results.
Well of course you can't expect everything to be done in one snap of the finger with a Small Team both Managers probably had.

Last nights Weekly Update left out details that last weeks update said we would get on the MM front. Those small details could include Drop Shield being removed (and certain camping spots in LD blocked off).

Not really, there’s actually a long list of minor tweaks and fixes that will also occur as well as a brief visit from our good friend Doubles Attack, but for details on that you will need to wait. Enjoy your weekend!

BWU 4/22
We didn't get this list and didn't get the date for the playlist update (May 3rd).

Tha Robbertster said:
The clip is only 5 seconds long, but if you download it to your xbox, I think you can see it actually. but if that doesn't work, I'll look if I can get the full film in my fileshare.

And part 2 of the mona lisa is up on waypoint and the site: http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/featured/video/the-mona-lisa-2/1ae1019e-7c43-4273-a0a0-340a23749434 Still not much action but I think that the 3th or 4th episode will be a little better then the previous 2.
According to a tweet from lybertyboy, the Mona Lisa is going to have 11 parts. But I'm really unsure if that is true, because it could be that I imagined that tweet. :p

Anyone online and wants to play Defiant?

Deputy Moonman said:

Bobs, I've been playing Halo3 again. If you ever see me on, send me an invite. I'm terrible, but that's okay because I know you can carry me lol.

Sounds good! I have been on the Gears beta a lot recently, so I would probably get destroyed if we jumped straight on, but it will be good to get some games in :p

Who here thinks guests shouldn't count as a vote?!

I do.

Thanks for choosing the top choice (Sniperfight) only after realizing me and my buddy wanted Fistfight and then leaving before the game started! Thanks!

Tha Robbertster said:
I'm at work. But I'll try downloading it after I get home.
xxjuicesxx said:
Who here thinks guests shouldn't count as a vote?!

I do.

Thanks for choosing the top choice (Sniperfight) only after realizing me and my buddy wanted Fistfight and then leaving before the game started! Thanks!
I would like guest-only playlists. I know it would cut down on the numbers for each playlist, but the social stuff is usually the highest, anyway. There is nothing worse than finding yourself in a group of goofballs all on one box. It almost always spells a loss. But yeah, at the very least, they shouldn't be able to vote. It should be limited to one vote per box.

Ramirez

Hey You said:
Well of course you can't expect everything to be done in one snap of the finger with a Small Team both Managers probably had.

As Havok said earlier, most of the things that need fixing could be fixed in a few hours by one person. I don't buy that the game needs endless testing to remove drop shields and flag timers lowered, I mean really. Especially when this extreme testing offers hilarious results all the time that make you scratch your head as to how it got by anyone. (Hello ARs on Highlands)

kylej

Banned
Bungie is handing over all Halo stuff to 343? Can this happen tomorrow? Right now, even? Dreams really do come true.

Tunavi

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
Just got something pretty weird in matchmaking: I was being assasinated from a weird angle and that angle made it so that I could still kill my enemie who was assasinating me. I got a showstopper from that which I thought was quite awesome. Here is the clip (unrendered): http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17283733&player=Robbert014
haha! best way to stop an assassination? Just turn around and fucking punch the guy.
GhaleonEB said:
I yoink every random teammate possible. It's hilarious when people freak out afterwards, they always start rushing me with their AR and miss me with the friendly melee.

GhaleonEB

Yoinks really are one of the best things ever. Few things bring me more joy than snagging one in Firefight from players who are being jerks (I never go for them on good players). In my last game, it only took almost getting a yoink to put the dude into such a hammer-smashing rage that he got pasted while chasing me.

Delicious.

As for the intonations in the BWU about the future...I welcome change. Bungie is gearing up for their new hotness, 343i is taking the reigns and preparing for their first game reveal. I'm excited for both (more for the former than the latter) and am fine with whatever changes need to take place to facilitate them. I've wanted to see what Bungie's been up to since they first teased it right after Halo 3 shipped.

The passion they've poured into Halo, directed to a new universe, is going to be amazing.

Hypertrooper said:
According to a tweet from lybertyboy, the Mona Lisa is going to have 11 parts. But I'm really unsure if that is true, because it could be that I imagined that tweet. :p

Wow, that's much if it's true. But I can also remember that the Mona Lisa was a very long story, about 100 pages I think. But I'll watch all of them since it was my favourite story from evolution together with Dirt.

Any chance of customs today? (ForgeGAF or HaloGAF even?)

I made a post in the ForgeGAF thread about my attempt at improving Sword Base, but it still needs testing.

I'd also just like to play in some normal HaloGAF customs, for once I'm not out of town this weekend.

Oh, and I guess to stay topical:
*RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE* "Playlist management! GRRR." *RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE*
;)

ncsuDuncan said:
Any chance of customs today? (ForgeGAF or HaloGAF even?)

I made a post in the ForgeGAF thread about my attempt at improving Sword Base, but it still needs testing.

I'd also just like to play in some normal HaloGAF customs, for once I'm not out of town this weekend.

Oh, and I guess to stay topical:
*RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE* "Playlist management! GRRR." *RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE*
;)
If customs occurs today, then we have to play Classic CTF on a fixed Highland map. Damn. Highland is my favourite Reach map.

Nutter

Tunavi said:
haha! best way to stop an assassination? Just turn around and fucking punch the guy.

I yoink every random teammate possible. It's hilarious when people freak out afterwards, they always start rushing me with their AR and miss me with the friendly melee.

You ARE SOOO COOL!!!!

GhaleonEB

Lake Minnetonka said:
So mad.

Assassinations are dumb. Yoink EVERYONE!
Yeah, if a team mate of mine is going to be so kind as to make the effort to set up a nice, long, stationary enemy for me to shoot, it's actually kind of rude not to take them up on the offer.

Also: <3 Fiestafight

Little tidbit about Jackpots from Jeremiah:

In the May Matchmaking Update, some playlists will feature Double Jackpots including The Arena, Squad Slayer and Defiant Map Pack.

We're also making changes to the Jackpot weights for all playlists which will result in higher Jackpots on average.

Also Squad Slayer is listed for May 3rd, so I guess the whole update is coming then..
squad.png

Steelyuhas said:
Also Squad Slayer is listed for May 3rd, so I guess the whole update is coming then..
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab63/Steelyuhas/squad.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
That's nice and all but when am I going to get my 3v3 and 7v7 slayer-dedicated playlists?

[QUOTE=Ramirez]Scrubs have to get kills however they can, cut these guys some slack.[/QUOTE]
[URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=TJ%20Ram"][IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/1jlsb4.jpg[/URL]

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Domino Theory said:
Yay, more playlists to further reduce the average playlist population from their whopping 300 players!
5v5 should've been there way before Zombies.

Also there should still be a race playlist.

I just don't have any interest in this game right now. When I get on, I almost immediately want to get off. I dunno what it is.

I will play squad battle (no armor lock), but there are only seven maps in the rotation which could get a little repetitive.

Trasher

Domino Theory said:
Yay, more playlists to further reduce the average playlist population from their whopping 300 players!
It's gonna fix things!

Nutter said:
You ARE SOOO COOL!!!!
u mad?! lololololol

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, if a team mate of mine is going to be so kind as to make the effort to set up a nice, long, stationary enemy for me to shoot, it's actually kind of rude not to take them up on the offer.
I approve of this post.

The AR is not a scrubby weapon. If you have a DMR and you get killed close range by someone with an AR then shame on you for not knowing the right weapon for the situation.

The idea of one gun that dominates game play is a horrible one.

Flame me all you want. The AR belongs in Halo and its power is fine

A27_StarWolf said:
The AR is not a scrubby weapon. If you have a DMR and you get killed close range by someone with an AR then shame on you for not knowing the right weapon for the situation.

The idea of one gun that dominates game play is a horrible one.

Flame me all you want. The AR belongs in Halo and its power is fine
I'mma venture a guess and say you suck at Halo.

Edit: And this is why I'mma miss Bnet

Top Bottom