• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

A27_StarWolf said:
The AR is not a scrubby weapon. If you have a DMR and you get killed close range by someone with an AR then shame on you for not knowing the right weapon for the situation.

The idea of one gun that dominates game play is a horrible one.

Flame me all you want. The AR belongs in Halo and its power is fine

Beta weapon balance, AR was good there.

I think the games with one god weapon were pretty awesome according to everyone. Halo CE people loved that pistol and H2 people loved that BR.

Maybe everything you think you know is wrong?

Maybe we don't know any constant's in game design yet? Its still a pretty evolving field in a way.

Trasher

Nutter said:
F U

Of course for you its easier to steal kills rather than actually get kills yourself.. so no biggie.
Stealing kills from you is the most rewarding part of Halo Reach. Getting real kills is boring. Don't be mad at the state of the game bro.

I love how Nutter gets so defensive when you bring up yoinks. lolololol

xxjuicesxx said:
I think the games with one god weapon were pretty awesome according to everyone. Halo CE people loved that pistol and H2 people loved that BR.

Maybe we don't know any constant's in game design yet? Its still a pretty evolving field in a way.

An arena shooter does not need to be a one weapon game to be good but some basic rules of weapon balance pretty much need to apply. Precision headshot weapons should kill faster than automatic weapons because they are by definition more difficult to use (With the exception of extreme range cases, aka an auto weapon can rape at very short range). Reach is the first Halo game to violate this rule.

Thermite

Domino Theory said:
Yay, more playlists to further reduce the average playlist population from their whopping 300 players!

Keep Team Slayer (increase this to 5v5), Team Objective, Invasion, Big Team Battle, MLG and The Arena. Also keep all variants of Firefight that are available now. Scratch the rest; everything else should just be reserved for customs, IMHO...

DO IT 343

Trasher said:
Stealing kills from you is the most rewarding part of Halo Reach. Getting real kills is boring. Don't be mad at the state of the game bro.

I love yoinking Nutter. If I was able to yoink Nutter right now I would be.

Trasher

Thermite said:
Keep Team Slayer (increase this to 5v5), Team Objective, Invasion, Big Team Battle, MLG and The Arena. Also keep all variants of Firefight that are available now. Scratch the rest; everything else should just be reserved for customs, IMHO...

DO IT 343
Whoa dude. You are going to include the MLG's competitive playlist and NOT the other competitive community's playlist? That's low man. That is NOT Halo to me.

MrBig

Trasher said:

You should join me in playing the Gears 3 beta, in which stealing kills is always a joyous occasion

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

All I know is that every video game shooter would be better with more sporadic weapons. Imagine the Half-Life series, Quake 3, or Counter-Strike forcing you to use weapons that were ineffective against enemies more than 15 feet away. Imagine Resident Evil 4 without the laser sight; the bliss of unknown bullet trajectories. How much better would Portal 2 be with a gun that fired portals away from where you pointed your reticule? What if Call of Duty restricted you to the MP5?

If only all developers thought like Bungie. To still - in 2011 - not allow you to create a class, pick your own weapon, or even choose what gametypes you want to play. Bungie's never-ending cascade of randomness makes me weak at the knees. What other developer has employees actively trolling the community while the player base crumbles? It's this intuition, this foresight, this dare I say it bravery that separates Bungie from the rest of the pack.

Trasher

Thermite said:
lolololol
See man, this is something you need to understand. The Halo community is a large one. So large that it can support all of these different playlists and gametypes. If there isn't less than 100 people in each playlist, then Bungie isn't doing their job. It's the community's fault for not coming up with better and more unique gametypes.

If anyone wants to get together later and get some customs going let me know. We need to get some "Lasers/Focus Rifles only" games in.

So this is what it's like to be EazyB? Am I doing it right?

Detox

We should start a halogaf fantasy Griffball league. Personally I would just fill my team up with guys from the Grammaton Clerics. They rose from the ranks of the amateur league and are now in division 1. I mean how can you not support these guys: "The Cleric is a true foe, having extreme fighting and mental discipline. They enforce strategies and great defense on opposing opponents. None-the-less, The Cleric is not unstoppable, but shall not rest until we master perfection. We may be a new team but don't take us so lightly. We believe Strength, Determination, and Trust will lead us to Victory." Not only do they have strength and determination but they have Trust, how can you not like them?
MajorLeaugeGrifball.jpg

Trasher said:
See man, this is something you need to understand. The Halo community is a large one. So large that it can support all of these different playlists and gametypes. If there isn't less than 100 people in each playlist, then Bungie isn't doing their job. It's the community's fault for not coming up with better and more unique gametypes.

If anyone wants to get together later and get some customs going let me know. We need to get some "Lasers/Focus Rifles only" games in.
It's better if you single out an individual, pointing out how stupid their post is.

A27_StarWolf said:
The AR is not a scrubby weapon. If you have a DMR and you get killed close range by someone with an AR then shame on you for not knowing the right weapon for the situation.

The idea of one gun that dominates game play is a horrible one.

Flame me all you want. The AR belongs in Halo and its power is fine

The idea of having lots of guns where each one kinda sucks is a horrible one. Least of all because it leads to Rock Paper Scissors type gameplay.

Having 1 gun which dominates and giving it to players at spawn allows the players to do some awesome things. Not get dominated because they were holding a gun which is weak to a gun the opponent is holding lol.

The variety should come from the type of gameplay which having 1 powerful gun allows. The BR allowed for many different diverse situations if a player was smart enough to think about how to play. I dont need lots of different weapons or skins to bring about the variety.

bobs99 ... said:
In my opinion the idea of having lots of guns were each one kinda sucks is a horrible one. Least of all because it leads to Rock Paper Scissors type gameplay.

Having 1 gun which dominates and giving it to players at spawn allows the players to do some awesome things, not get dominated because they were holding a gun which is weak to a gun the opponent is holding lol.

The variety should come from the gameplay which 1 powerful gun allows, the BR allowed for many different diverse situations if a player was smart enough to think about how to play. I dont need lots of different weapons or skins to bring about the variety.

One powerful gun is DULL!

The weapon sandbox in Halo Reach is seriously the best out of any halo game. You can't argue against that.

The BR was broken and so was the pistol.

I don't care if MLG disagrees I don't agree with that way of thinking.

Also Lake:

I don't suck at Halo, and when things wind down at college I will GLADLY step in your direction and give you a nice virtual smack down Spartan style ;).

edit-I think as long as the weapons are balanced it is fine. One weapon is boring. The AR is a close range weapon, don't complain if you get killed by it close range when you were trying to DMR.

Also I dont agree that AR starts are good, I am all for DMR starts.

Nutter

A27_StarWolf said:

The weapon sandbox in Halo Reach is seriously the best out of any halo game. You can't argue against that.

Also Lake:

I don't suck at Halo, and when things wind down at college I will GLADLY step in your direction and give you a nice virtual smack down Spartan style ;).

edit-I think as long as the weapons are balanced it is fine. One weapon is boring. The AR is a close range weapon, don't complain if you get killed by it close range when you were trying to DMR.

I would PAY BIG BUCKS too see this...

You will get your ass kicked kid

A27_StarWolf said:

Also Lake:

Having an infective weapon is DULL!!!

The weapon sandbox in Halo Reach is seriously the worst out of any halo game. You can't argue against that.

The BR was broken and so was the pistol, however it allowed for the player to really think outside the box and use these versatile weapons in ways that less quick thinking players couldn't imagine.

I don't care if A27 Starwolf disagrees I don't agree with that way of thinking.

:p

Seriously, I dont get the fascination of having multiple weapons but making them all kind of weak, do people really need the visual variety that comes with different weapons? The weapons in Reach arent all that different.

The best Halo sandbox would simply be - Pistol/ BR, Pro-Pipe, Human Sniper + Beam Rifle, AR, Needler, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle (with stun)

You dont need many weapons to have a fun sandbox, they just need to have there own unique function. Letting everyone spawn with the most powerful and versatile weapon just allows for players let the diversity show up in the gunplay.

Every.Single.DMR.Battle.Plays.The.Same. Although that might be just as much down to the movement as it is down to the sandbox.

bobs99 ... said:
Having an infective weapon is DULL!!!

The weapon sandbox in Halo Reach is seriously the worst out of any halo game. You can't argue against that.

The BR was broken and so was the pistol, however it allowed for the player to really think outside the box and use these versatile weapons in ways that less quick thinking players couldn't imagine.

I don't care if A27 Starwolf disagrees I don't agree with that way of thinking.

:p

I lol'd. That is how I feel. Sorry.

I seriously think the Reach weapon sandbox is the best. It is the most balanced.

At least you don't see hate from people who use AR's.

LAKE! I am throwing down the gauntlet son!

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/careerstats/weapons.aspx?player=A27%20STARWOLF&vc=3&compare=lakeminatonka

You have obviously played more but go ahead and look at your AR kills compared to mine.

I enjoy one v ones, so if you think I am trying to be all high and mighty, or be all YES YES HO HUM, I just want to take you on.

A27_StarWolf said:

I seriously think the Reach weapon sandbox is the best. It is the most balanced.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/careerstats/weapons.aspx?player=A27%20STARWOLF&vc=3&compare=lakeminatonka

You have obviously played more but go ahead and look at your AR kills compared to mine.

I edited my post after already quoted it, but sorry man I couldnt help myself. :p

Seriously, I dont get the fascination of having multiple weapons but making them all kind of weak, do people really need the visual variety that comes with different weapons? The weapons in Reach arent all that different.

The best Halo sandbox would simply be - Pistol/ BR, Pro-Pipe, Human Sniper + Beam Rifle, AR, Needler, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle (with stun)

You dont need many weapons to have a fun sandbox, they just need to have there own unique function. Letting everyone spawn with the most powerful and versatile weapon just allows for players let the diversity show up in the gunplay.

Every.Single.DMR.Battle.Plays.The.Same. Although that might be just as much down to the movement as it is down to the sandbox.

bobs99 ... said:
I edited my post after already quoted it, but sorry man I couldnt help myself. :p

It just comes down to differing opinions. I happen to feel reach has a really solid sandbox.

Speaking of which... I want the spiker in matchmaking. It is so much fun to use.

Nutter

A27_StarWolf said:

I enjoy one v ones, so if you think I am trying to be all high and mighty, or be all YES YES HO HUM, I just want to take you on.

LOL, Im Sorry, but this is just...

Trasher

A27_StarWolf said:

You should send him a friend request and get it set up man. HaloGAF face-off! We are all waiting in anticipation for one of the greatest showdowns ever.

A27_StarWolf said:

Send me a FR dood and we'll hash this out. If you win I'll render it and post it, if you lose you have to do so.

If you played would it be on Halo 3 or Reach? Thats the real question.

I actually fancy having some (friendly chilled out) yet competitive Halo 3 customs, whos up for it?

Lake Minnetonka said:
figures

train up son, when you've grown a pair you know where ill b

anyone want to render this film for me. i need to show starwolf what im capable of
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17114519&player=lakeminatonka

Sword Exterm!?? You Suck lol :p

I should pick a fight with Lake Minnitoka to fulfil my Halo 3 cravings huh? :p

Lake Minnetonka said:
figures

train up son, when you've grown a pair you know where ill b

anyone want to render this film for me. i need to show starwolf what im capable of
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17114519&player=lakeminatonka

Hey you want to take care of my finals and shit? Be my guest. My xbox is currently at college. I'm not there at the moment. We can iron out more details later, and oh and I want everyone to understand this is just for the hell of it.

I rendered it for you lake.

A27_StarWolf said:
Hey you want to take care of my finals and shit? Be my guest. My xbox is currently at college. I'm not there at the moment. We can iron out more details later, and oh and I want everyone to understand this is just for the hell of it.
your a nerd and you cant even play halo

this just keeps getting better

oh thanks for rendering

14b6aa0.jpg

15q1zj7.jpg

8pm est is 1 hour and 21 minutes from the time of this post.

For an invite message my gamertag or just join: ncsuDuncan

If someone else wants to host, feel free to take over, I'm just posting this so it doesn't completely fall through.

Worst case scenario we can just go into matchmaking with a party of GAF peeps.
I also have the NASCAR/Speed , Monster Truck, and Plasmaball gametypes.

Hell, we could also do Halo 3 customs if there was enough interest.

Steelyuhas said:
An arena shooter does not need to be a one weapon game to be good but some basic rules of weapon balance pretty much need to apply. Precision headshot weapons should kill faster than automatic weapons because they are by definition more difficult to use (With the exception of extreme range cases, aka an auto weapon can rape at very short range). Reach is the first Halo game to violate this rule.

All I'm saying is who knows whats right anymore.

Bungie spent Halo 3 and Reach balancing the shit out of their stuff, and people don't seem to want to really play that game. I've heard lots of people wishing for remakes and re releases of their "primitive unbalanced broken ass games"

Contrary to what some people may believe here there is no set list of rules that say DO THIS to create a good game. Nothing of the sorts.

xxjuicesxx said:
All I'm saying is who knows whats right anymore.

Bungie spent Halo 3 and Reach balancing the shit out of their stuff, and people don't seem to want to really play that game. I've heard lots of people wishing for remakes and re releases of their "primitive unbalanced broken ass games"

Contrary to what some people may believe here there is no set list of rules that say DO THIS to create a good game. Nothing of the sorts.

I think your mixing up balancing of games and the game design. I think because Bungie didnt have time to polish up Halo 1 and 2 that they didnt get a chance to impose there design philosophy on the multiplayer side of the game so much.

So what I guess im saying is... good game design with lots of time spent on polishing would go down pretty well but when the game design starts off poorly then your basically polishing a turd :p No matter how many hours you spend polishing the DMR the bloom is going to make it less fun to use than the BR.

bobs99 ... said:
In my opinion the idea of having lots of guns where each one kinda sucks is a horrible one. Least of all because it leads to Rock Paper Scissors type gameplay.
That is probably the best way I've seen it explained. "Rock, Paper, Scissors" seems to be the traditional approach to weapons in FPS games, both console and PC. There is always this draw to make everything balance out. Halo:CE was the first game to really break away from that mold; and it's why I liked it so much. It had a hierarchy of weapons and the balance came from knowing the ins and outs of the hierarchy. I don't see the overall appeal to the rock, paper, scissors approach when it seems like every other FPS game has been that way since FPS conception.

What about a game that incorporates both sides of the debate?

AR - Destroys at close range, useless at long range.
DMR - Useless at close range, destoys at long range.
BR - Destroys at close range, destroys at long range.

So in casual modes you spawn with the AR and DMR. If you pick up a BR that puts you on even ground with anyone using an AR or DMR at any range.

Competitve/MLG modes spawn you with a BR and you never need to pick up another weapon (except for Sword, Sniper, Rockets, etc.)

Thermite

When this epic battle between Lake Minnetonka and Starwolf goes down, I expect someone to record and render that shit on b.net!!!

Winner gets Recon, IMO.

MrBig

ncsuDuncan said:
Worst case scenario we can just go into matchmaking with a party of GAF peeps.
I also have the NASCAR/Speed , Monster Truck, and Plasmaball gametypes.

Hell, we could also do Halo 3 customs if there was enough interest.
I'm getting on now, and I finally got around to modifying NASCAR and it is begging to be played.

Top Bottom