• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Kuroyume

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
That Elite Slayer game was my breaking point for the night. Of course, it was the second game. :\

Elite Slayer on Hemmorhage is like the videogame form of torture. Feels like the Needle rifles hardly do any damage to the vehicles and it's just wave after wave of ghosts on there.

Do you guys think that when they made Elite Slayer on Hemmorhage they actually played it a few times to see if it was actually fun or they just threw it in there because it seemed to them like it would make sense? I don't know how anyone can play that and enjoy it.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
When 343i takes over, I hope someone who knows, loves and understands Firefight Halo does a reworking of the playlists. Right now it's like choosing between MLG with jet packs and Assault Rifles, or Griffball with unlimited grenades.
Fixed that for you.
GhaleonEB said:
They're all just a handful of settings away from being great, but none of them are there. And I have zero expectation that they'll get cleaned up. It's so frustrating.
This is applicable to so many of the playlists, it's almost comical. Wait, no, it's really aggravating across the board.

(on a side note, I tried to play Firefight Limited yesterday and have no idea how you can stand the douchebags in that playlist)

Havok said:
Fixed that for you.

This is applicable to so many of the playlists, it's almost comical. Wait, no, it's really aggravating across the board.

(on a side note, I tried to play Firefight Limited yesterday and have no idea how you can stand the douchebags in that playlist)

*thinks about how he actually likes reach.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Plywood said:
I can be very competitive about these things at times. >_<

Yea I get competitive too. People expect me to get like 928832 kills when I play in GAF customs so usually I try to do well. I like to just fuck around in GAF customs though. Drive Warthogs and kill Trasher with only an AR.
The kid sucks so bad

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:
*thinks about how he actually likes reach.
I like Reach too, or I wouldn't be playing it. But I'm not going to turn a blind eye to its problems. I just played Invasion Skirmish on fucking Countdown. Are you going to sit there and say that it's your opinion that that's good playlist management too?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Yea I get competitive too. People expect me to get like 928832 kills when I play in GAF customs so usually I try to do well. I like to just fuck around in GAF customs though. Drive Warthogs and kill Trasher with only an AR.
The kid sucks so bad
Yeah I could tell you were joking around cause you kept shooting me with the AR on Tempest.
i kno rite -2 wat a noob

Havok said:
I like Reach too, or I wouldn't be playing it. But I'm not going to turn a blind eye to its problems. I just played Invasion Skirmish on fucking Countdown. Are you going to sit there and say that it's your opinion that that's good playlist management too?
Brainslug.jpg

Halo: Reach has no problems

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
The kid sucks so bad
You just mad cause I had 7 kills on you and you just had a measly 5 kills on me. Get smoked!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Account Attempt #4 said:
I'm quite late with this but thanks Wu for the shout on HBO today!!! <3 <3

I think for the 1v1 we should get both perspectives rendered. Winner and loser.

I wanna be in there when the match is going on as a separate colored Spartan. I wanna stream it and give commentary lol. It will be EPIC

Kibbles

Havok said:
What in the hell? This exists?
KuGsj.gif

Havok

Kibbles said:
What in the hell? This exists?
KuGsj.gif
Yep. (Ignore the terrible K/D, I was going for assists and assassinations for the challenges, which only added to what a shitshow it was.)

By the way, the bnet playlist page does not actually acknowledge that this gametype and map exist in Invasion, for good reason.

Its really just a very progressive gametype, the majority of players probably wont be ready for it for at least another 5 years.

You'd literally have to be Kim Peek to understand some of NoF's decisions, thats how advanced his playlist management skills are.

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I wanna be in there when the match is going on as a separate colored Spartan. I wanna stream it and give commentary lol. It will be EPIC
do it in forge as a monitor (and spawn random rocket launchers around the map)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
At this point it's gotta be our responsibility to call a hospital and tell them someone at Bungie needs some mental help right?

Who's idea was it to auto-mute people who get muted a bunch? Because now I'm auto muted after playing MLG for a few days. Good job guys, I wasn't loud or annoying or anything, but I'm muted because the other team isn't stupid and just mutes me so I don't hear them communicating.

Is there really no way to turn that off for MLG? Is there really no way to be un-permamuted?

A27_StarWolf said:
You guys can play halo really well. But you sure as hell forgot how to read.

I have things in this thing called IRL called. F-I-N-A-L-S.

geez :p.

That's cute, I remember my first final. Nah jokes I feel your pain, I wrote over 30 pages of content for papers this past week.

Tashi0106 said:
The kid sucks so bad

Excuses bro.

Confirmed: Tashi is actually a scrub!

Havok said:
Yep. (Ignore the terrible K/D, I was going for assists and assassinations for the challenges, which only added to what a shitshow it was.)

By the way, the bnet playlist page does not actually acknowledge that this gametype and map exist in Invasion, for good reason.

For whatever reason, Invasion Skirmish and its maps don't show up on the online playlist page.

I like Invasion Skirmish, but I could really go without the Shotgun/Sword loadouts in the 3rd phase (They already spawn as a 'weapon reinforcement' starting in the 2nd phase).

vhfive

Attention Starwolf and Lake
if you want to win you just need to borrow your brothers CRT. Reach is really easy on CRT, its like playing Halo 2, all you do is run circles around noobs.

winner gets recon

Deputy Moonman said:
Here is a film clip I just took from a social slayer game on The Pit. I had been on horrible teams for over a while and then I started off this game with 12 kills and no deaths. Fun while it lasted. Then I died... I think maybe I had host because I had been sucking it up until this game:-/ Where are you Bobs???
Good start

Your playing on the Pit without me!?? For shame. I actually haven't seen you online at all, I guess timezones are a bitch. :(

By the way this thread has been delivering recently. yaaay.

Striker

Havok said:

I got the unfortunate chance of playing Invasion Skirmish on Anchor 9 and Countdown myself. For the life of me, I can't understand why such a gametype is scheduled on a small map. Why isn't this on Spire, Boneyard, Hemorrhage, Breakpoint, etc., where the territorial objectives make sense? I like Invasion Skirmish above Invasion Slayer for the fact you have your weapons/vehicles spawn immediately rather than wait. They are also random so if you're the Elite squad you aren't limited to such things like the blueberry gun or a Ghost, but instead can gain a Sniper Rifle or Rocket Launcher.

Expecting the update to his May 3rd so we should definitely try BTB more often. The best games in BTB currently are when Multi-CTF shows up on Hemorrhage, and it's always voted for when it shows up, which isn't often when you get your heavy doses of Headhunter and Big Bro Slayer (lately BTB Snipers).

I know lots of people the slayer gametype, but there's just too fucking many in Reach's playlist design. The only true places for CTF and Assault are Objective and MLG, and that's if they're voted for.

kylej said:
If only all developers thought like Bungie. To still - in 2011 - not allow you to create a class, pick your own weapon, or even choose what gametypes you want to play.
Look how spawn selections work in Halo. Ever try the Bro Slayer gametypes? It's a spawn-camping paradise. May work in games like BF and CoD, but not in Halo.

Also what are you exactly implying for classes? Weapon choices? Well for games like Invasion in phases it makes sense. It makes no sense for a developer to make a Halo game based on classes where you can spawn as a Sniper or a Rocket Launcher wielder. What sense is that? It should be based off the size of the map, what type of gametype, and so on. Think Halo 2 Team Skirmish. You want to play 1 Flag Fast on Ivory Tower? You don't need a BR start. You want 1-bomb on Burial Mounds? You spawn with a BR because the map is semi-large and open. Class based games can stay on CoD, not necessary on Halo.

Striker said:
Look how spawn selections work in Halo. Ever try the Bro Slayer gametypes? It's a spawn-camping paradise. May work in games like BF and CoD, but not in Halo.

Also what are you exactly implying for classes? Weapon choices? Well for games like Invasion in phases it makes sense. It makes no sense for a developer to make a Halo game based on classes where you can spawn as a Sniper or a Rocket Launcher wielder. What sense is that? It should be based off the size of the map, what type of gametype, and so on. Think Halo 2 Team Skirmish. You want to play 1 Flag Fast on Ivory Tower? You don't need a BR start. You want 1-bomb on Burial Mounds? You spawn with a BR because the map is semi-large and open. Class based games can stay on CoD, not necessary on Halo.

You don't choose where you spawn in CoD...or else I'm doing pretty good for missing a key option like that. CoD spawn system works in a similar fashion to Halo's with hotzones and cold zones and spawn spots. Trending is a huge part of it, you dominate one side until you push them to spawn on the other side and trend to that side again. Its basic domination for a CoD game since at least 4 (first one I've played)

Furthermore in CoD you can spawn with any weapon (launchers, shotguns, AR's, Pistols, Snipers) because they actually truly are balanced. Depending on your skill I guess, I still can't run around with a sniper, and they've decided to remove that strategy as legit run and gun style in Blops. People do though.

Think of the shit Halo would devolve into if people could choose to spawn with Rocks and Sniper off the start. It would basically be everyones choice.

A key difference is in Halo we really understand that Rocks/Sniper are definitely power weapons and are better than all the other weapons. There is no balance there, whether they want to write 40 page powerpoints about balancing the sniper by changing the time it takes to shoot it or not.

If Halo were to start having class based spawns it would obviously be choosing between the staples only... AR/Pistol/DMR/maybe a shotty? most likely , like you said, depending on gametype/map size.

Either way it would have been a much greature venture to try class creation, than their shit Bro Slayer where you can spawn behind people. That just screams camp and push with one dude and cheese tactic.

----

It also would be quite crazy if Halo were to try CoD's method where you basically choose between Slayer/CTF/Oddball/KoTH gametypes and then just choose the map. Basically split objective off into distinct playlists and then create a few mashes.

CoD has a shitload of playlists, and some of them have quite a low population.

Could work for Halo but you'd have to minimize in some way because the player count just isn't what it used to be.

Probably be way too much of a change for Reach, but perhaps in the next game.

Striker

I've found nothing wrong with having a weapon determent to the size of the map, and varying on the gametype combo. Of course for large based games like Big Team, you always with with a BR/DMR, but that's a different argument. Weapons in Halo should be based off map control and pick up items, not spawning with a Shotgun, Pro Pipe, Sword, etc.. Always have, and always should be. Games like Halo and Halo 2 wouldn't have been so great without it.

GhaleonEB said:
That Elite Slayer game was my breaking point for the night. Of course, it was the second game. :\

May update can't come soon enough.

This seems to be a trend within Gaf for Reach - X (X=current month) + 1 can't come soon enough... and repeat each month.

Had some decent games last night but for the love of all that preserves sanity please return the dlc playlists to dmr starts.

On another note, Jeremiah, while not perfect, has been roughly 8 times the playlist manager Shishka ever was, it's obscene to claim he is as bad if you remember Halo 3 in the first year.

thee henery said:
This seems to be a trend within Gaf for Reach - X (X=current month) + 1 can't come soon enough... and repeat each month.

Had some decent games last night but for the love of all that preserves sanity please return the dlc playlists to dmr starts.

On another note, Jeremiah, while not perfect, has been roughly 8 times the playlist manager Shishka ever was, it's obscene to claim he is as bad if you remember Halo 3 in the first year.

We live in hope!

Tawpgun

I think when they were testing Invasion Slayer all the Bungie guys in charge of what gets in and whats out were on the Spartan team.

Whatever the state of the playlists, I've been wondering since the beginning why Bungie seemingly "forgot" all the progress they made with playlist management in Halo 3. For example, Team Snipers was removed from Team Slayer and given its own playlist in Halo 3, but when Reach came around, Team Snipers was in Team Slayer again...only to be removed and given its own playlist.

Totally agree with the playlist discussion. I don't get the love for the 1v1. Lake's gonna have an eazy victory, that's all I'll say.

Why are Bungie putting Shotty Snipers in Action Sack? That is just shocking really. So many terrible decisions are plaguing this game from being way better than it is.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Whatever the state of the playlists, I've been wondering since the beginning why Bungie seemingly "forgot" all the progress they made with playlist management in Halo 3. For example, Team Snipers was removed from Team Slayer and given its own playlist in Halo 3, but when Reach came around, Team Snipers was in Team Slayer again...only to be removed and given its own playlist.
Team Snipers was its own playlist in Halo 2, and a popular one at that, and they went in and had Team Snipers/Shotty Snipers in Halo 3's Ranked Team Slayer until a near year later once it got its own again.

It's a cycle...

Gui_PT said:
Perfect.

I've been itching to replay the campaign, lately. Might get on that once my Mass Effect 1/2 playthrough is finished. Maybe I can use it as relaxation during my upcoming exams. :lol

kylej

Banned
Dax01 said:
Whatever the state of the playlists, I've been wondering since the beginning why Bungie seemingly "forgot" all the progress they made with playlist management in Halo 3.
Dax01 said:
why Bungie seemingly "forgot" all the progress they made with playlist management in Halo 3.
Dax01 said:
all the progress they made with playlist management in Halo 3.
Dax01 said:
progress. playlist management. Halo 3.

lol

Must say it brings a tear to my eye to see everyone - excluding the OGs like Eazy, Juices, TJs - finally realize how shit the playlists are. They're embarrassing. No excuses. I can't reiterate enough how much I'm looking forward to Frankie's game.

I am looking forward to the next Ninja on Fire trolling joke though.

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
Perfect.

I've been itching to replay the campaign, lately. Might get on that once my Mass Effect 1/2 playthrough is finished. Maybe I can use it as relaxation during my upcoming exams. :lol
I'm up for playing through any of the co-op campaigns too. Getting my mind off exams would be a great help

kylej said:
lol

Must say it brings a tear to my eye to see everyone - excluding the OGs like Eazy, Juices, TJs - finally realize how shit the playlists are. They're embarrassing. No excuses. I can't reiterate enough how much I'm looking forward to Frankie's game.

And people wonder why population is so low. All people want to play is dodgeball on Sandbox. I mean really, Halo 3 got shit and let it sit and get stale, with a game of Heavies to mix everything up once in short while. Halo 2 got plenty of good stuff to balance out what the casuals wanted to play. Reach is only what the casuals want to play and the good stuff is left to get mulled over by people that want to just play their once favorite game. Is this not the same person who managed playlists in H2?

Havok

Striker said:
Team Snipers was its own playlist in Halo 2, and a popular one at that, and they went in and had Team Snipers/Shotty Snipers in Halo 3's Ranked Team Slayer until a near year later once it got its own again.

It's a cycle...
So what you're saying is that in a year Team Objective will be removed from the game.

Halo 3: progress.

About the DMR/AR as primary weapon: Why don't they make it like GoW3 does? You can chose between the Hammerburst, Lancer and Retro Lancer. (DMR/BR, AR and SMG for Halo). Make it so that you can switch which weapon you want after each respawn, much like the AA's work right now.

Spawning with a sniper or rocketlauncher doens't work in Halo because of the killtimes. In CoD and BF, killing somebody with a sniper takes about the same time as any other weapon. In Halo, the sniper and rocketlaucher have much faster kill times then any other weapons.
That's why I think the shotgun and sword must be removed from loadouts in Invasion. That and the way the last round of Invasion works. It's just to eazy to camp in the Core room with 4 guys that all have a shotgun.

MrBig

Tha Robbertster said:
About the DMR/AR as primary weapon: Why don't they make it like GoW3 does? You can chose between the Hammerburst, Lancer and Retro Lancer. (DMR/BR, AR and SMG for Halo). Make it so that you can switch which weapon you want after each respawn, much like the AA's work right now.

Spawning with a sniper or rocketlauncher doens't work in Halo because of the killtimes. In CoD and BF, killing somebody with a sniper takes about the same time as any other weapon. In Halo, the sniper and rocketlaucher have much faster kill times then any other weapons.
That's why I think the shotgun and sword must be removed from loadouts in Invasion. That and the way the last round of Invasion works. It's just to eazy to camp in the Core room with 4 guys that all have a shotgun.
Because Halo is about starting everyone at an even playing field. Loadouts with AAs already ruined that, and invasion is in its own little world.

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
Because Halo is about starting everyone at an even playing field. Loadouts with AAs already ruined that, and invasion is in its own little world.
Shh... this is about convincing the AR users they can spawn with an AR while we get to dominate them with the precision weapon.

MrBig said:

But they already changed this with Reach's AA's. Why wouldn't they let us do it with our starting weapons?

Tawpgun

MrBig said:

Not sure if this is meant to be a HURRAH response, due to the badass nature of my avvy (Thanks btw)

Or if its meant to show hypocrisy since I have a shotgun in my avvy. If this is the case, its just because he was holding a shotgun originally. Although it would be cool to get one of those rotating image avatars that changes every refresh, so I could have other weapons cycle through. Do those still work?

I really over analyzed this :p

kylej said:
lol

Were the playlists at the end of Halo 3's life not better than those at launch?

If yes, that's progress...however small you might perceive it.

Ken

Oh wow. Playing against an Inheritor with the Haunted skull.

And of course, a random on my team quits as soon as it starts.

kylej

Banned
Dax01 said:
Were the playlists at the end of Halo 3's life not better than those at launch?

I dunno. I honestly don't know. Were any of the core playlists dramatically changed? I remember 1v1, Squad Battle, and Ranked BTB all died nearly as soon as they were added. Social Slayer was improved by switching to 4v4 then went back to 5v5 later. We got pretty much the same Double EXP weekends for 3 years. There were some absurd map tweaks - like fixing attic spawns on Pit then leaving the 'broken' version in matchmaking - or removing the fusion coil from Valhalla. I feel like Bungie's games have atrophied beneath incompetent playlist managers (or whoever is above them) for 4 years now.

Top Bottom