• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Havok said:
Because most of Keyes is pretty bright, and the coolant section is maybe 10 minutes long. You're in a collapsing Covenant cruiser, not a space asshole. You aren't fighting the awful Pure Forms - Halo 1's Flood are fun to fight because they're easy to kill, and wall-stickers should never be allowed in any game ever again (Red Faction: Armageddon is basically Cortana: The Level: The Game). If Cortana had consisted of the mostly fine Combat Forms that were seen in Floodgate, a lot of the problem would be gone. You get to fight high-level Covenant squads for a really large chunk of the level, including some great three-way fights. There aren't Flood pimples that spit out enemies with a stray bullet. You aren't constantly being stopped by pointless Gravemind acid trip sequences. The level's story conclusion isn't completely pointless (rampant rampant rampant no wait im good lol - and no, Traviss's Evolutions story doesn't make this a nonissue). I know you don't agree, but there are a bunch of design, story, and aesthetic elements that make Cortana nearly universally reviled that don't apply to Keyes.
Good points all around. I understand. But the two levels do share some of the worst qualities we've seen in a Halo game.
In Halo 1, you meleed one spore, and the rest popped. In Halo 3, you meleed one spore, and maybe three popped as the others got to you. It was maybe the most effective way to take out infection forms in the first game, and something that was totally lost in 2 and 3.
Hm. I guess I've never gone around using it properly then.
Striker said:
Ah, this post reminds me of that time months ago where you were posting levels of Crows Nest>Tsavo Highway>The Storm>Floodgate>The Ark>Covenant were superior to Halo>Truth & Reconciliation>Silent Cartographer>Assault on the Control Room>343 Guilty Spark.
As far as I remember, I was comparing Reach's campaign, level to level, to Halo: CE's. I wasn't comparing it Halo 3's. But, yes, gameplay wise, when it comes to pushing the sandbox and the encounter design, Halo 3's is a step above Halo: CE's. Level by level, however:
1. Halo and Crow's Nest – Halo
2. Truth and Reconciliation and Tsavo Highway – Tsavo Highway
3. The Silent Cartographer and The Storm – The Silent Cartographer
4. Assault on the Control Room and Floodgate – AotCR
5. 343 Guilty Spark and The Ark – The Ark
6. The Library and The Covenant – The Covenant

3v3 Level to level, they're equal.
That's not including Two Betrayals which is one of the top levels in any campaign from the series.
It's a good level. But it's out of order.
Baffling to see you write such a thing, but then again you've always been one to write outlandish things to get attention.
Oh, darn-it! You got me. I'm not just expressing my opinion, I want attention. Yup. You totally have me figured out.
I would go through the Wayback Machine and find more hilarious things from the Halo 3 thread you've written, but I got stuff to do.
Thanks for not being a jerk on purpose. You want a cookie or something?

kylej

Banned
Julie with the revealing black dress and blinged out necklace. Kinda feel bad that she has to dress like that but I guess if you've got it, flaunt it.

edit.
Dani said:

Yeah, of course. But even if you could afford it, the ROI on playing 10 seconds of some shit like Shinedown or 3 Doors Down or whatever vs something off a $5 101 Rock Songs CD is nil.

feel

A27 Tawpgun said:
I need some help.

Anyone that can recite an "awe" (best word I can describe it as) inspiring monologue, record their voice, and send it to me... PM me. It's for the 343 Machinima Contest.

If you're interested and can do it I'll PM you the lines and then I'll need it done at LATEST by Sunday.
whoever does it, use this for inspiration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLci5DoZqHU

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
kylej said:
Yeah, of course. But even if you could afford it, the ROI on playing 10 seconds of some shit like Shinedown or 3 Doors Down or whatever vs something off a $5 101 Rock Songs CD is nil.

Yup, not worth paying the money. Plus with Streaming rights and venue playing rights, I'm sure the costs would be inflated.

Need to save the cash to pay the pro's.

Actually, how much do these MLG folks get? Is there a large financial incentive?

Hitmonchan107 said:
What's with the garbage buttrock used for the MLG Pro Circuit opening titles?

It's always been buttrock. Embrace it. Personally I preferred the Halo 3 buttrock track they used to introduce the gametypes.

National Guard behind Puckett? Really?

Kinda weird that the Starcraft commentators get far louder roars than Puckett and co. I know Starcrafts popular but it's already making Halo feel like the number 2 game for MLG.

Dani said:
Actually, how much do these MLG folks get? Is there a large financial incentive?

$100000 for the National Championship, split between the four players (and sometimes the coach). I think it's $20000 or $25000 for the standard events. Of course a bunch of players have various sponsorships to buff their earnings.

Striker said:
Excellent cherry picking. You should start a business.
It's not cherry picking, buddy. My view is that there is no better concentrated amount of fun and awesomeness, that is, level by level, back to back, than Crow's Nest through The Covenant. That's six levels. I gave you six levels (Halo through The Library).

Edit:
Dani said:
Coolio. I'll be read it later tonight.

MrBig

Dax fun is not a definable happening. The personal things that you enjoy do not apply to everyone.

For every thing that you love there is someone that hates it.

MrBig said:
Dax fun is not a definable happening. The personal things that you enjoy do not apply to everyone.
Well, yeah. I was never claiming otherwise.

Edit: When did I give the impression that I was talking about it as a fact?

Edit 2: Why are you saying this to me? He brought it up. He was the one who thought I was trying to grab attention because I have a different opinion.

kylej

Banned
Dani said:
Yup, not worth paying the money. Plus with Streaming rights and venue playing rights, I'm sure the costs would be inflated.

Need to save the cash to pay the pro's.

The only way (imo) MLG is financially viable is if you're under the age of 22. If you're a high school kid, or you're a college student and you've got a chance to make an extra $5,000-$15,000 a year playing video games it's a pretty cool deal. If you're an adult (or worse, if you're like T2 and leave high school to go pro) I don't know how the hell you survive.

Back in the early 00s, when everyone and their sister could get could get money through brain-dead VCs, some of these dudes got fat contracts to try to keep them from competing leagues. Now MLG is pretty much the only major player in the console world, so they don't have to offer jack to keep these kids playing.

All the top ranked teams are so good that sometimes it just comes down to who's feeling it. Sometimes you have good Halo days, sometimes you don't. Outside of, like, Top 2 placement you're making jack shit as a return for all the countless hours these dudes put in. I know some have sponsors but really, Red Bull isn't paying a 16 year old from Ohio $100k a year; that kid will wear a Red Bull shirt for a pack of cigs and free drinks.

It's fun as hell to watch though.

FyreWulff

kylej said:
Because they don't want to pay to license music?

They've lost money for the last two years straight.

They probably should call up Jimmy Hart and have him do cover-but-not-versions of their favorite songs.

Jimmy Hart version of Avenged Sevenfold awww yeah

kylej

Banned
FyreWulff said:
They've lost money for the last two years straight.

They probably should call up Jimmy Hart and have him do cover-but-not-versions of their favorite songs.

Jimmy Hart version of Avenged Sevenfold awww yeah

No shit. Companies have to start returning their payroll and size back to earth after enjoying themselves when times were good. Be interesting to see how long they can live off private equity. They have a decent enough demographic that they'll be around for a while.

Serious-posting in this thread feels weird.

Striker

Dax01 said:
It's not cherry picking, buddy. My view is that there is no better concentrated amount of fun and awesomeness, that is, level by level, back to back, than Crow's Nest through The Covenant. That's six levels. I gave you six levels (Halo through The Library).
You later compared the best level from Halo 3 to the absolute worst in Halo 1. But in fact the rest of the unlisted levels in Halo 3 were putrid (Sierra 117, Cortana, Halo). It's all subjective anyway, but you're in the high minority of thinking Halo 3 is anywhere near Halo 1's masterpiece. People in six years won't be clamoring for a Halo 3 campaign remake, because it's a forgettable experience.

FyreWulff

kylej said:
No shit. Companies have to start returning their payroll and size back to earth after enjoying themselves when times were good. Be interesting to see how long they can live off private equity. They have a decent enough demographic that they'll be around for a while.

Serious-posting in this thread feels weird.

They need to do more small events in-person, and not depend on so few teams to carry the product. They need to pressure teams to get more of their paycheck so to speak from outside sponsors and owners just like actual pro teams, and be just the administrators, not the administrator AND the employer.

Also get a partnership with someone other than Dr Pepper. Call up Dew and get them to sell MLG Gamer Fuel.

They also need more stability to their ruleset and map selection. They need to start a season, stick with the settings for better or worse, then apply changes the next season. Otherwise any of their playlists in any game are always going to be out of sync, and people trying to get into the product have to play catch up all the time. You don't see the NFL or NBA changing rules 4+ times in the middle of the season. Somebody can buy a ticket for Columbus and expect certain settings under say v3 and then by the time Columbus ends v4 is already coming out.

They also need to stop acquiring every other hardcore community other there like Smashboards and so on. I like competition between leagues, and they're clearly taking on way too many people and games than they can handle. Focus on their core product first. They think they're Dana White or Vince McMahon and they're not. Trying to go up against the Korean leagues with Starcraft 2 is like the Missouri Valley Conference trying to take on the NFL. A waste of money.

Striker said:
You later compared the best level from Halo 3 to the absolute worst in Halo 1.
What, you mean The Covenant and The Library? I also compared Floodgate to AotCR. What part of back-to-back, an uninterrupted sequence, do you not understand? You're trying to pick a disagreement out of nowhere for whatever reason.
But in fact the rest of the unlisted levels in Halo 3 were putrid (Sierra 117, Cortana, Halo).
Sierra 117 isn't putrid. That's some gross exaggeration.
but you're in the high minority of thinking Halo 3 is anywhere near Halo 1's masterpiece.
That's okay.
People in six years won't be clamoring for a Halo 3 campaign remake, because it's a forgettable experience.
Maybe, maybe not. That doesn't matter when it comes to what I think.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Homeboyd said:
Did it show up in your post-game credits screen? Seems like it's random for me... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

This time it only popped up in the bottom corner of my screen in-game.
Yeah, it showed up in the post-game report. I've heard other folks complain about it not showing up, though, so I dunno what the deal is.

Booshka

FyreWulff said:
Focus on their core product first. They think they're Dana White or Vince McMahon and they're not. Trying to go up against the Korean leagues with Starcraft 2 is like the Missouri Valley Conference trying to take on the NFL. A waste of money.
SC2 is now their core product, and they aren't going up against them, they partnered with them (GSL) in a League exchange program. SC2 is the reason that MLG is still viable and growing. No one cares about Blops, and Reach is too niche to drawn in a mainstream audience, not to mention competitors.

kylej

Banned
Booshka said:
SC2 is now their core product, and they aren't going up against them, they partnered with them (GSL) in a League exchange program. SC2 is the reason that MLG is still viable and growing. No one cares about Blops, and Reach is too niche to drawn in a mainstream audience, not to mention competitors.

Haha yeah I was going to say, if anything is going to keep MLG alive its expanding into Starcraft.

Fyrewulff, I don't know if you're self-employed, but trust me there are people hired full time at companies like MLG to explore all the ideas you listed in your post. If they could get Mountain Dew as a sponsor, they would. If smaller events were profitable, they would do them. Achieving profitability in a relatively niche market is hard when you're the size of a company like MLG.

feel

Booshka said:
that's one way of putting it

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
kylej said:
Final Boss vs Final Boss coming up. Ogre 2 I believe in u, bb.

I went into the MLG thread expecting folks to be talking about this upcoming match instead they're talking about Zerglings and shit like that.

Never realised SC2 was so popular.

Booshka

Dani said:
I went into the MLG thread expecting folks to be talking about this upcoming match instead they're talking about Zerglings and shit like that.

Never realised SC2 was so popular.
When did Gaming GAF ever give a shit about competitive Halo? Not surprised at all.

Tawpgun

Booshka said:

I wonder if Halo 4 could bring teh Haloz back to the main stage.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Or the TU? It'll be interesting to see which way MLG goes with the changes; i'm 90% confident they'll use bloomless Reach (if that indeed is what we are getting). Saying that, I remember a shitstorm thread on their forums (halo 2 era) because MLG weren't going to incorporate the changes (the TU that tightened the BR spread) before the then upcoming event. Pro's were moaning, highly personalised insults were being thrown and it even featured Puckett falling out with Ogre 1. Shit was wild yo.

Lunchbox doesn't have time for gym. Obviously doesn't tan. Just donging then.

Booshka

A27 Tawpgun said:
No, unless it is the greatest competitive title ever, even still it probably won't because it is a console shooter. Now that there is a viable competitive PC game for MLG to host on the circuit, the league will grow because competitive gaming on PC is much more popular and legitimate than consoles.

I doubt Frankie and Co. are designing Halo 4 MP with MLG Halo players in mind. They want to appeal to a wider audience. Whereas Blizzard designed SC2 MP with competitive Starcraft in mind, and let's the casual audience take it or leave it. I'm sure Halo 4 will have plenty of custom options for MLG to try and make it fun to play and competitive at the same time, but won't work as they haven't for years.

FyreWulff

thee henery said:
Or the TU? It'll be interesting to see which way MLG goes with the changes; i'm 90% confident they'll use bloomless Reach (if that indeed is what we are getting). Saying that, I remember a shitstorm thread on their forums (halo 2 era) because MLG weren't going to incorporate the changes (the TU that tightened the BR spread) before the then upcoming event. Pro's were moaning, highly personalised insults were being thrown and it even featured Puckett falling out with Ogre 1. Shit was wild yo.

Lunchbox doesn't have time for gym. Obviously doesn't tan. Just donging then.

I think the deal at the time is that it was bit more difficult to get OXboxes up to speed. People weren't really familiar with dealing with a Halo TU that actually modified a game to the extent 1.1 did at the time

Then it turned out that the Map Pack disc included the TU so they had to use the TU anyway if they wanted the maps.

kylej

Banned
It's hysterical seeing pros suffer the same frustrating bloom-filled DMR battles as the rest of us. To spam or not to spam, that is the question.

edit. get waped totz

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
It's hysterical seeing pros suffer the same frustrating bloom-filled DMR battles as the rest of us. To spam or not to spam, that is the question.

edit. get waped totz
This all of this even the edit.

Ramirez

kylej said:

edit. get waped totz

Yea, I watched a video on Waypoint, think it was SQ/Instinct and I couldn't help but notice that they seemed just as clueless with bloom as anyone else, lol.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
There is no need to let us hear the callouts, it only ends in babble as four people are giving callouts at the same time.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
Yea, I watched a video on Waypoint, think it was SQ/Instinct and I couldn't help but notice that they seemed just as clueless with bloom as anyone else, lol.

SageMerrill.jpg
- "Uh, learn to play Halo?"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just got my second Perfection today -- and this time it wasn't in SWAT! Yall should be watching me play, forget MLG.
Just kidding, I'm usually terrible, haha.

Top Bottom