• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Blinding

Plywood said:
Toonavi

Get at me.

That reminds me of Toonami.

For anyone wondering, Walshy's team Turning Point made it out of open bracket undefeated, and will be on the main stream tomorrow at 5:15 PM EST playing against Victorious Secret.

Kibbles

wwm0nkey said:
Onsk is dead :mad:
No man, Oonsk lives on forever.
4WG7c.jpg

Tunavi

Banned
Good games. Got my daily Nutter betrayal in.

Is it cool if I use this avatar? I'm just wondering if anyone plans to buy the shirt, I don't want it to become "the Tunavi shirt," thats why Im asking

Trasher

Tunavi said:
Good games. Got my daily Nutter betrayal in.

Is it cool if I use this avatar? I'm just wondering if anyone plans to buy the shirt, I don't want it to become "the Tunavi shirt," thats why Im asking
I like the avatar. :) I may have to sport the other one!

Speaking of Oonsk, I'm surprised no one made a t-shirt with that lol.

Hey Ram, would you buy a TJ Trasher 0-15 shirt? I'm thinking about making one. I would obviously send Thermight and Dani a free one since they helped create that wonderful moment in my Halo career.

Sibylus

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
I don't see how linearly cross comparing missions from different games tells you anything. The different Halo games have their strong and weak points at different spots in the game, it doesn't help to directly compare "mission 6" of one game to "mission 6" of another.
He's evaluating one unbroken chain of missions against another, which game can keep the proverbial hackey-sack aloft for the longest. It isn't the only means of comparison, certainly, but it can help determine which has more consistency.

Botolf said:
He's evaluating one unbroken chain of missions against another, which game can keep the proverbial hackey-sack aloft for the longest. It isn't the only means of comparison, certainly, but it can help determine which has more consistency.
Yup!

So I'm crashing a Black Ops LAN tonight with 3 copies of Halo Reach, 2 copies of Halo CE/3.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: I only have one copy of H2 and I'm bringing it, it's just hard to LAN with one game.

Striker said:
Napsta, you're missing something:
about halo2, is there a way to get all the map packs and the latest title update other than the multiplayer map pack disc on the 360? I forgot to download everything before the old xbox Live shutdown :(

i nerini del buio said:
about halo2, is there a way to get all the map packs and the latest title update other than the multiplayer map pack disc on the 360? I forgot to download everything before the old xbox Live was shut down :(

You can manually put the maps on your 360 harddrive using PC and a transfer cable. You'd need to be system linked to a Xbox or 360 that has the maps legit though.

I bought the map packs finally, for 400 each I can swallow that for new maps.

After months of not playing I still seem to have a love/hate relationship with online, I really hate DMR's dominating in most games but when you get a regular team slayer with AR and Pistol start the game is amazing, the pistol has always been great fun to use in reach and still a fave of mine :D

I just dislike the DMR so much, it's like the go-to weapon in most cases and most people use it up close too.

Roll on halo anniversery classic mode or whatnot.

The Real Napsta said:
You can manually put the maps on your 360 harddrive using PC and a transfer cable. You'd need to be system linked to a Xbox or 360 that has the maps legit though.
Do I need any software? What about the title update?

Tawpgun

Diablohead said:

After months of not playing I still seem to have a love/hate relationship with online, I really hate DMR's dominating in most games but when you get a regular team slayer with AR and Pistol start the game is amazing, the pistol has always been great fun to use in reach and still a fave of mine :D

I just dislike the DMR so much, it's like the go-to weapon in most cases and most people use it up close too.

Embrace the DMR... EMBRACE IT.

It's always been the go-to weapon for Halo. You need a precision weapon in BTB for instance. But it's always been the main weapon.

CE Pistol -> BR -> BR -> DMR

You can have a preference of liking AR starts on the smaller game modes. But the DMR and weapons like it will ALWAYS be the main all-around go to weapon for Halo games to come.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Embrace the DMR... EMBRACE IT.

It's always been the go-to weapon for Halo. You need a precision weapon in BTB for instance. But it's always been the main weapon.

CE Pistol -> BR -> BR -> DMR

You can have a preference of liking AR starts on the smaller game modes. But the DMR and weapons like it will ALWAYS be the main all-around go to weapon for Halo games to come.
yeah I know :( I just love halo with all the other weapons being used, the pistol is good at range just slower then using the DMR, which I prefer.

Plasma repeater still feels like the most pointless gun in the game.

Might just be reach and how it feels and spreads, I never bitched about the halo 1 pistol back in the day in 16 player lans.

Risen

Diablohead said:

I broke out in a rash after reading this... thanks.

CyReN

Anybody at MLG Anaheim by chance? I'll be working next to station A at the Halo Reach stations if anybody wants to meet.

Striker

Diablohead said:

What bugs me about most of the playlists. They're all precision rifle oriented. Granted I support it in Arena, MLG, Classic, BTB, and in large scoped maps, but it's not necessary for all places, and not for every map in Team Objective. It's one thing I loved about Team Skirmish in Halo 2, it was all about variety in weapon starts per map, objective timers were suited to the map size, etc. They have ignored this completely in Halo 3 and Reach.

I love the Pistol, as well. Just needed to be in more playlists, but oh well.

Tawpgun

Striker said:
What bugs me about most of the playlists. They're all precision rifle oriented. Granted I support it in Arena, MLG, Classic, BTB, and in large scoped maps, but it's not necessary for all places, and not for every map in Team Objective. It's one thing I loved about Team Skirmish in Halo 2, it was all about variety in weapon starts per map, objective timers were suited to the map size, etc. They have ignored this completely in Halo 3 and Reach.

I love the Pistol, as well. Just needed to be in more playlists, but oh well.
Different groups have different opinions.

I wouldn't touch Objective since it was AR starts. Because once a team pulls the flag from your base, and they get it near mid, that flag is as good as capped with any competent team.

Honestly if they just gave the pistol 15 or 12 shots per mag I could tolerate AR starts. But right now you're only good for killing ONE person. With DMR's you can engage multiple users, have set ups, and lock bases down. You can also break set ups with DMR's, and slay your way out of a locked base.

I just think its faster, more team oriented gameplay. The only weapons that it shuts down are the more useless ones such as the plasma rifle/repeater. I'll still pick up plasma pistols, concussions, and all the power weapons.

Team Slayer has a heavy weighting for AR starts. Squad has an even weighting, or at least it seems that way.

The more this AR vs BR debate goes on the more I feel they should add a multiplayer prefences option in Halo 4. You select if you want AR starts/BR starts and you select your favorite maps. Matchmaking will then pair you with other people with these settings. This way 343 can actually see which maps are popular and which aren't. Voting data is skewed because people end up hoping for a better option and veto, or they vote for the gametype... or vote the lesser of the evils... or vote an unwanted map in order to defeat an even worse map.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
Different groups have different opinions.

I wouldn't touch Objective since it was AR starts. Because once a team pulls the flag from your base, and they get it near mid, that flag is as good as capped with any competent team.

Honestly if they just gave the pistol 15 or 12 shots per mag I could tolerate AR starts. But right now you're only good for killing ONE person. With DMR's you can engage multiple users, have set ups, and lock bases down. You can also break set ups with DMR's, and slay your way out of a locked base.
It would depend on the map. And they should have multiple selections of CTF spread out, which they did prior to the universal change. For instance, regular Mult-Flag, Multi-Flag DMRs, Pro removed (since they don't feel like changing the grenades). But it really boils down to map size as well. If the DMR were 2x scope I would like it more in many more playlists. It would play more like a Halo 2 BR rather than a mini-sniper.

And this isn't an AR/BR convo. I specified the uses of the Pistol clearly in the post which is why I replied. It was a dominant weapon of usage for me in TO and had largely no problems killing flag users escaping the base, or killing them from base to mid (using Asylum as an example). I wish the AR from Halo 3/Reach would die a painful death, and if they wanted to return the AR, make it like the Reach beta gun or make it more beefy like the Halo 1 rifle. Otherwise it can GTFO.

Merguson

Banned
Plywood said:
It would've been some Chopper prototype model(because of canon) with a huge gravity array and a small front double wheel.

On the plus side it would've been faster than a mongoose. :O

Screw canon, they had choppers on Harvest.

Now imagine..

You are crossing a city parking lot. All of a sudden, an army of choppers come out of nowhere and Noble Six has to fight them off.

During the battle, a group of marines will arrive at the scene to assist you. However, a sole chopper runs them all over and leaves the battlefield. You manage to catch a glimpse of the driver of that chopper, it appears to be a pink elite however you have no time to ponder this as you have to focus on the chopper battle.

A hornet comes from above to rescue you, it attempts to land in between a broken highway when a chopper launches from one side of the highway, destroys the hornet and lands on the other side, never to be seen again. Once again, the driver seems to be a pink elite.

Gui_PT

Gabotron ES said:
7 last entries and I will be done collecting screenshots, the collage is looking awesome so far.
Can't wait to share it with you guys!

Sweet, I'll try to convince some bromangos to take a screenshot.

Merguson said:

Now imagine..

You are crossing a city parking lot. All of a sudden, an army of choppers come out of nowhere and Noble Six has to fight them off.

During the battle, a group of marines will arrive at the scene to assist you. However, a sole chopper runs them all over and leaves the battlefield. You manage to catch a glimpse of the driver of that chopper, it appears to be a pink elite however you have no time to ponder this as you have to focus on the chopper battle.

A hornet comes from above to rescue you, it attempts to land in between a broken highway when a chopper launches from one side of the highway, destroys the hornet and lands on the other side, never to be seen again. Once again, the driver seems to be a pink elite.

I don't think an Elite would even consider touching a Chopper.

EDIT: I should have known about that pink elite. I was thinking you were talking about the Field Marshell :p

Gui_PT

Merguson said:
You manage to catch a glimpse of the driver of that chopper, it appears to be a pink elite however you have no time to ponder this as you have to focus on the chopper battle.

EazyB?

Merguson said:

Now imagine..

EazyB?

Edit: dat hivemind

Was bored tonight so decided to play some Rumble Pit. I knew what to expect for the most part - so most of the not-so-subtle-party-teamwork and douchebags went over smoothly.

However in this match we get Oddball on Reflection - where I end up winning with 113 or something. However the Capt Falcon 77X guy grabs a shotty/sniper and camps the ball (accidentally picked it up once and promptly dropped it) with zero intention of completing the objective - and farms easy kills over and over. If I recall correctly, it was the second match in a row he did it in (the one before was Headhunter on Powerhouse).

I sent him a message basically telling him he was a try-hard and shouldn't feel skilled by camping the objective. He responded with something like 'nice kd bro'. I tell him no one gives a fuck about a K/D let alone one artificially boosted in objective games. He responds with some shit about being 14th on the Halo Reach Charts and 2nd in the ACL (Australian Cyber League). I respond with 'If you want to be a try-hard, at least go to MLG playlist or something, and keep out of objective gametypes'... he then calls me a MLG fag (despite me having never played MLG gametypes). I'm sure there are more messages waiting for me, because among these messages there were plenty of references to my mother's promiscuity... It's just pathetic to watch someone care so much about K/D or charts. I can understand checking it, or even being happy/disappointed with said numbers - but to actively boost it is something I (mistakenly) thought was a trademark of the COD playerbase.

tl;dr - Don't play anything in Reach, without friends/party - ever...

Ramirez said:
Get Walshy's autograph for me.

Guys, the whole point of my comments were that in the past games, I didn't have to go into MLG to get a competitive match. I even got competitive matches in Social Slayer most of the time. It was more of a 5 AM rant of what happened to the semi-decent Halo population, I can't find them in Reach. I assume it's mostly people who cannot master the mechanics, or just flat out didn't like the game and moved on. *shrug*
I actually did get Walshy's signature, but it's already reserved for another friend. If I get another you can have it.

Gabotron ES said:
7 last entries and I will be done collecting screenshots, the collage is looking awesome so far.
Can't wait to share it with you guys!
Just realized I haven't done this. Could you post the thread with the details, please?

ElRenoRaven

Merguson said:

Now imagine..

I would so be laughing my ass off if this was an easter egg in a future halo game.

Stripper13 said:
Was bored tonight so decided to play some Rumble Pit. I knew what to expect for the most part - so most of the not-so-subtle-party-teamwork and douchebags went over smoothly.

However in this match we get Oddball on Reflection - where I end up winning with 113 or something. However the Capt Falcon 77X guy grabs a shotty/sniper and camps the ball (accidentally picked it up once and promptly dropped it) with zero intention of completing the objective - and farms easy kills over and over. If I recall correctly, it was the second match in a row he did it in (the one before was Headhunter on Powerhouse).

I sent him a message basically telling him he was a try-hard and shouldn't feel skilled by camping the objective. He responded with something like 'nice kd bro'. I tell him no one gives a fuck about a K/D let alone one artificially boosted in objective games. He responds with some shit about being 14th on the Halo Reach Charts and 2nd in the ACL (Australian Cyber League). I respond with 'If you want to be a try-hard, at least go to MLG playlist or something, and keep out of objective gametypes'... he then calls me a MLG fag (despite me having never played MLG gametypes). I'm sure there are more messages waiting for me, because among these messages there were plenty of references to my mother's promiscuity... It's just pathetic to watch someone care so much about K/D or charts. I can understand checking it, or even being happy/disappointed with said numbers - but to actively boost it is something I (mistakenly) thought was a trademark of the COD playerbase.

tl;dr - Don't play anything in Reach, without friends/party - ever...

I don't really see a problem with this. Ultimately, the dude came last with 1 second ball time. You came first. You won. There is a distinction between team objective holding (not that I have a problem with that really) and playing slayer when you don't want to play laughable objective modes in multi-team/rumble pit. You're having a laugh if you think i'm going to stand in the hill in multi-team for example; the nades alone will ensure you play the majority of the game on respawn screen. It's pretty baseless trying to be the fun police when they aren't even winning.

As for people caring too much about their k/d I agree it's pathetic.

Also, who does the mm overlord think I am Mother fucking Theresa for guests?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=730283511&player=The Henery

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=730326524&player=The Henery

J10

Banned
Are there too many Forge World variants in matchmaking?

While I think it's fantastic that the devs have allowed user created content to have a life in matchmaking, I'm growing a little weary of it. I think it has more to do with the visual sameyness of the maps than the actual gameplay, but I'm also finding it difficult to learn and remember the nuances of so many maps. Maybe if they just came up a little less frequently in the voting options I'd be fine with it. That's just me though.

Top Bottom