• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
Star Craft is a very competitive game.

But fuck is it boring to watch...
At first, it looked like foreign babble to me, but once you start playing it yourself, it's just as great as watching some good old Halo 2/3 mlg games.

Booshka

ManBearPanda said:
At first, it looked like foreign babble to me, but once you start playing it yourself, it's just as great as watching some good old Halo 2/3 mlg games.
I've never even played SC2, but I just spent some time watching it, and learned a lot about the game. So now, with the help of good commentators, it is very exciting and fun to watch, a lot more fun than MLG Halo 3 or Reach imo.

Tawpgun

I know the Starcraft Basics and I still find it boring. It's like nothing for 70% of the time. And then these bursts of action.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
I know the Starcraft Basics and I still find it boring. It's like nothing for 70% of the time. And then these bursts of action.
I agree. The SP was fun though.

e: that's a huge box Hyper. I hope you and ghal have fun eating your spoils
I wish I could have participated

I had a thought today. What if the enemies in Halo 4 were like, anti hero forerunners that devolved a bit and survived?

I'm getting on Halo for the first time all week, you know you want to join me :p

wwm0nkey said:
You know what Halo 4 needs? A BOSS FIGHT!

Something Halo has missed since Halo 1 and Halo 2.

LOVED the 343 fight in Halo 1.
Actually one of the things I found really interesting about CE at the time was that there were no bossfights. By the time I saw that end cutscene I was shocked I didn't have to circlestrafe a bulletsponge like was the norm in all FPS games before it.

Then Halo 2 came out lol.

wwm0nkey

Rickenslacker said:
Actually one of the things I found really interesting about CE at the time was that there were no bossfights. By the time I saw that end cutscene I was shocked I didn't have to circlestrafe a bulletsponge like was the norm in all FPS games before it.

Then Halo 2 came out lol.
wait what? Halo CE did have a Boss fight against 343 Guilty Spark.

EDIT: I can see how some people dont think of that as a Boss fight though and I am referring to The Maw.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that 343 GS fight was in Halo 3, not Halo 1...

And I don't want boss fights in Halo. Even Scarabs are kind of crappy. A Scarab-size enemy, but with more range of movement and interesting dynamics would be okay, I guess.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
wwm0nkey said:
That was Halo 3.

There should've been a Gravemind bossfight, complete with God of War-esque QTE's.

wwm0nkey

Speaking of The Maw, I can not wait to see that ammo room that was just stacked with an un godly amount of supplies.

(also what ever happened to the ammo crates of Halo 1 and Halo 2? I miss those as well in MP)

wwm0nkey said:

EDIT: I can see how some people dont think of that as a Boss fight though and I am referring to The Maw.
You weren't fighting him though, he was just there to babble as you blew up vents.

Ramirez

That was another thing that made CE amazing, there were no bosses, just the same foes you'd been fighting all game. I hated the Tartarus fight in Halo 2, felt so forced and out of place coming from CE.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm surprised they didn't try any new boss fights with Reach after Halo 3's Scarab battles. Taking down the Scarabs is the only FPS boss fights that I have ever enjoyed. You would think they would have created some new giant machines or something like that to destroy in Reach. That one fight against the giant monster wasn't that good since you couldn't climb it.

Ramirez said:
That was another thing that made CE amazing, there were no bosses, just the same foes you'd been fighting all game. I hated the Tartarus fight in Halo 2, felt so forced and out of place coming from CE.
Agreed. It felt like you were actually in a part of a war. The only thing close to a boss fight was a gold Elite, you weren't in any typical FPS situation where you were just stuck in a room circle strafing a dude or going through some scripted BS. Warthog run at the end was one of the best ending segments to any FPS I've played. Fuck it, it was THE best. I can't bring anything to mind that beats it or even compares.

PsychoRaven said:
Ah. I just love playing Halo 3. There is just something about the Brute Chopper that i just love. It's one of the few additions to the sandbox over the years that just felt right.

gqGGf.jpg

I miss it so much. It would be great to have in Reach's MP. The Rev isnt bad..its just not special. It would be super awesome if we could get a Brute chopper on some of the new maps, even if it wouldn't make sense.

621px-Brute_Chopper.sized.jpg

=(

And yes, I know that is Halo Wars art.

The thing is, "traditional" bosses, such as Regret, 343, and *shudder* Tartarus don't really work in the Halo context because it breaks the rules of the universe.The Halo boss fights, particularly Regret and Tartarus have already been picked apart to death, so I'm not going to talk about them at length here.

The kind of boss fights that work well in Halo games are of the "bigass swarm of hard enemies," "dug in position," nontraditional encounters (more on that in a minute), or the Scarabs.

Let's talk about the Scarabs, shall we?

The Halo 2 scarab isn't really a boss fight, more like a boss encounter, but I like it. It doesn't feel like a traditional boss fight like Regret, but like you are actually chasing and being chased after an almost-unstoppable death machine. The only thing that ruined it is the total anticlimax of the thing trapping itself in a canal where it can't turn around (laaammmeee...) and skipping to cutscene after killing the pilots.

The Halo 3 Scarabs, however, are bosses, but unlike Regret or Tartarus, don't have that "boss" feel because they still fit within the logic of the game. They aren't immune to any weapon besides "punch them in the face" for no reason besides that's what the mission designer wanted, they don't have any flaming super-saiyan shields of doom that show up NOWHERE ELSE WHATSOEVER in the fiction that you have to wait for an ally to take down- and, oh, BTW, Tartarus doesn't follow any of the other damage models used in the games, so you can't headshot him and get it over with. They are big, mean, and can absorb damage like a sponge because they are a hundred feet tall and have armor that's as thick as you are tall. It makes sense for them to be like that. Even better, their core doesn't have to be killed a specific way and is inexplicably immune to every other weapon- put some fire on it, and you'll kill it.

Now, on Gravemind.

I think that Gravemind could have been a good boss, but not in a Metroid sense. I think that Gravemind's appearance at the end of the Covenant would have been an excellent "flee" type boss. As in, you have to RUN THE FUCK AWAY from the Gravemind tentacles before he squashes you. However, you can't just run for the exit- you have to be watching him, because he'll throw down arms in front of you, block your path, sweep at your knees, and cut you off. You have to constantly dodge to get away- and, for even more fun, you'll have to fight off the Flood as you go- not a whole swarm, mind, but just enough that they are a threat and you can't watch what Gravemind's doing with your complete attention. Meanwhile, he's taunting you the entire time in trochaic heptameter.

Instead, he rises up, gives one of the most badass boasts in video games, and... just leaves? Huh? What, did he suddenly remember he left the lasagna in the oven or something and had to run home right that instant?

Tunavi

Banned
Ramirez said:
You don't need to create a new account to play horrible players in Reach...
lol, no I bought a code/chatpad on sale, had it shipped to my school accidentally, school will only forward the package for 10 bucks, i'll be back in Austin in 3 weeks anyway, decided to create an account and use the free 1 month trial instead of shipping

wwm0nkey

Demoncarnotaur said:
I miss it so much. It would be great to have in Reach's MP. The Rev isnt bad..its just not special. It would be super awesome if we could get a Brute chopper on some of the new maps, even if it wouldn't make sense.
I don't care if it wouldn't make sense lol

Agian would not mind if some things where in the MP sandbox but not in the SP sandbox.

wwm0nkey said:
I don't care if it wouldn't make sense lol

Agian would not mind if some things where in the MP sandbox but not in the SP sandbox.

Considering we have a good portion of the multiplayer maps set on Halos, it doesn't really matter.

And come to think of it, why wouldn't the Chopper make sense in Reach? We did fight Brutes, after all, and in their Halo 3 incarnations to boot.

wwm0nkey

Thagomizer said:
Considering we have a good portion of the multiplayer maps set on Halos, it doesn't really matter.

And come to think of it, why wouldn't the Chopper make sense in Reach? We did fight Brutes, after all, and in their Halo 3 incarnations to boot.
I think he means it wouldn't make sense because it wasn't in the game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thagomizer said:

It would've been some Chopper prototype model(because of canon) with a huge gravity array and a small front double wheel.

On the plus side it would've been faster than a mongoose. :O

Rickenslacker said:
Just roll with whatever they automatically give you. The autogenerated names end up pretty charming in their own way.
That's how I got my gamertag. It was actually NewbornYeti, then I switched it to OMG it's a Yeti (lol). I wanted to switch it back, but it was "taken", so I came up with RebornYeti.

MrBig

Plywood said:
It would've been some Chopper prototype model(because of canon) with a huge gravity array and a small front double wheel.

On the plus side it would've been faster than a mongoose. :O
Isn't Reach only a few months before Halo 3? And the chopper was introduced way back at the invasion of Harvest?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MrBig said:
Isn't Reach only a few months before Halo 3? And the chopper was introduced way back at the invasion of Harvest?
lalalala

i cant hear you

Okay so there are little to no excuses.

wwm0nkey said:
I think he means it wouldn't make sense because it wasn't in the game.

Yeah thats what I mean. Also, as we have never seen new introductions like vehicles via DLC. Well, unless you count snow skinned hog and less crazy hornet. Also, it wouldn't make sense with CEA's maps...but still. Even if it were there for custom games..

Now say get a "forgeworld 2.0".. Then it would be a must o get the chopper. Still, unless Bungie had some work done for it I really assume it would be too much work.

Dax01 said:
Level by level, however:
1. Halo and Crow's Nest – Halo
2. Truth and Reconciliation and Tsavo Highway – Tsavo Highway
3. The Silent Cartographer and The Storm – The Silent Cartographer
4. Assault on the Control Room and Floodgate – AotCR
5. 343 Guilty Spark and The Ark – The Ark
6. The Library and The Covenant – The Covenant
I don't see how linearly cross comparing missions from different games tells you anything. The different Halo games have their strong and weak points at different spots in the game, it doesn't help to directly compare "mission 6" of one game to "mission 6" of another.

Ramirez said:
Have any pros went on record as stout bloom defenders?
They all do because they are trying to win money for playing that game and it doesn't help MLG, and therefore players wallet's if they go off raging about bloom.

Tunavi said:
Created a new account for a 1 month trial. What should my gamertag be?

Imascrub

Top Bottom