• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Karl2177

Kuroyume said:
Don't know how anyone can talk fondly of Halo 3 BTB if they've ever played Halo 2 BTB.
Also want back.

As much as you guys revere the DMR being the iconic weapon for Reach, it's one of the major things that killed BTB. The damage it does to vehicles(as well as the sniper), its range, the new vehicle damage models, vehicle physics; all of that killed it.

Kuroyume said:
Don't know how anyone can talk fondly of Halo 3 BTB if they've ever played Halo 2 BTB.

God did I spend a lot of time in Halo 2 BTB. I just remember the first time playing BTB on Headlong(RIP) and thinking "Holy shit I am playing an 8v8 match and don't need 4 TVs, a hub and ethernet cables.

Kuroyume

Banned
That's all in response to the overpowered vehicles in H3 that made infantry combat in BTB an absolute joke. Constantly spawning out in the open in Standoff while the Warthog circled around to pick off a batch of recently spawned enemies. Die, spawn, die again because the Warthog came back as you were coming out of spawn. Toss a grenade if you can and at best it would make the hog jump for a second but that's it. It would take an endless stream of grenades to destroy one of those things and the laser was never the answer because the team that was abusing the warthog had it and the guy was usually sniping people from their side of the base with it.

Tying the player and vehicle health is the best way to go about it. I think the Warthog in Reach is close to perfect. It doesn't quite have the feel of the H2 version so people have trouble driving it, but the way they handled the health is just right. No one should be in a Warthog for most if not all of the match. It destroys the flow of the game.

Kuroyume said:

I played Halo 2 BTB at a couple LAN parties, they are both great.

I loved the the vehicle combat and the infantry combat in Halo 3.

blamite

Tha Robbertster said:
Mona Lisa part 9 is up

When this series is done, which story would you guys want to see made into a motion comic?

I'd love Dust since I've always loved ODST's and the plot is great IMO.
Definitely Blunt Instruments! Give it to the guys who did Headhunters, I loved their style and it's be awesome to see them visualize stuff like that huge Covenant Beacon.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
33vp30p.jpg
9sgvg5.jpg

1zve5xi.jpg
2rz9oom.jpg

2v9vuxt.jpg
23tflm1.jpg

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
Not like Halo 3 BTB wasn't fun. It's just the one I most recently remember. And the one that was most filmed.

H2 BTB is still the best in the series.

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:

Which one? Halo 2 was split into BTB Slayer and BTB Objective.

Guess which one had actual population

It sure wasn't BTB Objective

Guess which one was an utter quitfest.

Both of them

All I remember from Halo 3 BTB was if I went in alone it was guaranteed most of my team was guests and noobs, and the opposing team was a full group of generals.

FyreWulff

I stuck to Team Training for most of Halo 2's run. The modders didn't come in there.

Downside being that people quit out if they didn't get Slayer.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Not like Halo 3 BTB wasn't fun. It's just the one I most recently remember. And the one that was most filmed.

H2 BTB is still the best in the series.
I think Halo 2's BTB had the better asymmetric maps. Relic, Terminal and Headlong were all incredible maps; asymmetric game types on symmetric maps just don't quite cut it. I'd put Halo 3's on par with Halo 2, if not better. Valhalla over Coagulation, Avalanche over Containment. The only Halo 2 symmetric map I really miss is Waterworks.

But I'll take Halo 3's combat sandbox over the loss of those maps any day. The Chopper, & Mongoose, the better vehicle/infantry balance, it all clicked so good.

GhaleonEB said:
I think Halo 2's BTB had the better asymmetric maps. Relic, Terminal and Headlong were all incredible maps; asymmetric game types on symmetric maps just don't quite cut it. I'd put Halo 3's on par with Halo 2, if not better. Valhalla over Coagulation, Avalanche over Containment. The only Halo 2 symmetric map I really miss is Waterworks.

But I'll take Halo 3's combat sandbox over the loss of those maps any day. The Chopper, & Mongoose, the better vehicle/infantry balance, it all clicked so good.

I'm hoping for some forerunner version of the chopper :D

MrBig

Ramirez said:
I wish I lived in this mystical world where Halo 2 BTB wasn't constant yellow bars/standbying/cheating/etc.
Matchmaking has always been a joke. I was never really forced to use it until Reach, since none of the guys I used to play with like it.

Custom games on Headlong, Waterworks, Coag, Terminal, Containment, Relic. Always fun. The sandbox was improved in H3 but then the map design in took a slight nose dive and then Reach I don't even want to get into.

Karl2177

wwm0nkey said:
Sir are you calling Relic, Containment and Waterworks bad?
Yeah. I hated that map until the last day of online Halo 2, and then I slightly enjoyed it afterward. IMO, not the best map from Halo 2. It's better than the stuff we have now, but I'd lump it in with lower tier Halo 3 maps like Last Resort and Standoff.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
I wish I lived in this mystical world where Halo 2 BTB wasn't constant yellow bars/standbying/cheating/etc.
Lol yup. It made me wish I knew more people to LAN with. That shit was a mess.

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:
Is this good or bad? :lol :^)
I find TF2 odd. I don't play it much anymore, but every few months I come back to it and it's like I'm playing a whole new game. There's so much new stuff. Some good, like lots of new community stuff, but then theres everything else. At this point all I care about it anymore is that I get my Payload fill. Preferably on awesome new maps. I don't care if someone's trying to hit me with a fish.

Tunavi

Banned
Trasher said:
Lol yup. It made me wish I knew more people to LAN with. That shit was a mess.
I'm moving in to an apartment with 3 buddies, we will have 2 xboxes/tv's and we're gonna play halo 2 on lan, you jelly?
I'm so fucking excited
Hitmonchan107 said:
That sounds awesome!
dude I know, I love college

Kuroyume

Banned
It didn't matter. I'd take a laggy/standby game every few games of Halo 2 over the best game of Halo 3 always. Halo 3 and its awful BTB maps... Just slightly better than the turds in Halo Reach.

Halo 3's "sandbox" was awful.

Oh, let's handicap the player with slow base speed to justify the existence of this mongoose vehicle. Good idea. Piece of garbage that's mostly used by fools to troll people as they drive around the entire game not killing anyone but just honking their horn and driving. Introduced us to the horrible Assualt arming mechanic. Added the Fuel Rod Cannon onto the Banshee for multiplayer. Good stuff.

FyreWulff

Speaking of handicaps, did anyone else use turning your handicap all the way up in 2 to launch teammates across the map?

Like say, launch a bomb carrier from the beach on Zanzibar directly into the base?

Someone I know did that a few times.

It was me. It was hilarious because the other team never saw it coming.

You could do it with the sniper ammo rocks on Coagulation too. Launch someone from red base to blue base while they were holding an objective.

Probably part of the reason why the handicap feature was scrapped from future Halo titles :p

feel

H2 btb had the great maps, but H3 btb vehicle sandbox just felt way better to me. Both left me with so many great memories I don't even know which one I prefer in this category. I really hate Reach, Sage and the important people at Bungie who put him in charge, or the talented ones who didn't speak up after playtests and try to do something about the trainwreck that would stain their multiplayer legacy and instead just facepalmed in their minds and returned quietly to their workstations to resume work on the exciting new venture. Sigh.

Captain Blood said:
God did I spend a lot of time in Halo 2 BTB. I just remember the first time playing BTB on Headlong(RIP) and thinking "Holy shit I am playing an 8v8 match and don't need 4 TVs, a hub and ethernet cables.
Hearing people talk and seeing the mic icons light up in the pregame lobbies was so amazing

Striker

Kuroyume said:
It didn't matter. I'd take a laggy/standby game every few games of Halo 2 over the best game of Halo 3 always. Halo 3 and its awful BTB maps... Just slightly better than the turds in Halo Reach.
Two of the Halo 3 BTB maps were decent, just never over-exciting to play because of: a) Spartan Laser, b) terrible, TERRIBLE gametypes, and c) equipment.

Halo 2's quality of large maps, along with Assault being its own glorious world of sticky-arming and planting, CTF working on every single map to a tee, Territories/3 Plots actually deeming itself fun (Contianment, Terminal), and the vehicle/infantry combat is unmatched. No hidden bubble shields or power drains in the butts of the enemies, only their grenades and weapons. And Gulch Wars > Heavies any day of the week.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A27_StarWolf said:
I'm hoping for some forerunner version of the chopper :D
I would freaking kiss the feet of everyone at 343 if they made that happen.

I'm on right now, let's destroy. GT = popular revolt.

Halo 2 BTB was full of terrible kids. Terrible vehicle kids and terrible kids who didn't know how to BR. It had the best BTB maps though.

Halo 3 BTB was absolute shit.

Reach BTB is absolute shit. Invasion confused the fuck outta BTB maps. The gameplay is fucked, the settings are half-assed.

BTB is a playlist you go into when feeling bad after a loss. Its full of people who don't know what the fuck they are doing and never care to better themselves.

Its downright disrespectful to the human spirit.

Hopefully 343 Focuses on 1 or 2 gametypes per BTB map, limits the # of BTB maps to 3 or 4 at release and 1 per DLC release. They limit the gametypes and balance the shit out of each game, so theres only around 8 game choices when entering the list. Refine that shit so hard. Refine it til its Starcraft 2 Balanced.

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
Hopefully 343 Focuses on 1 or 2 gametypes per BTB map, limits the # of BTB maps to 3 or 4 at release and 1 per DLC release. They limit the gametypes and balance the shit out of each game, so theres only around 8 game choices when entering the list. Refine that shit so hard. Refine it til its Starcraft 2 Balanced.
This cannot be restated enough times. It's what I've been saying for the last year.

xxjuicesxx said:
Halo 2 BTB was full of terrible kids. Terrible vehicle kids and terrible kids who didn't know how to BR. It had the best BTB maps though.

Reach BTB is absolute shit. Invasion confused the fuck outta BTB maps. The gameplay is fucked, the settings are half-assed.

BTB is a playlist you go into when feeling bad after a loss. Its full of people who don't know what the fuck they are doing and never care to better themselves.

Its downright disrespectful to the human spirit.
OoG0j.gif

MrBig said:
This cannot be restated enough times. It's what I've been saying for the last year.

Its absolutely crazy they just throw Hemmorhage into like 6 different gametypes and expect them all to be fun. No Wrong most of them are boring as shit.

2 Flag is probably the only one I enjoy.

Also a BTB map should be you know, Only in BTB. I fucking raged hard when I had to play Hemmorhage Territories in Team Objective, What The Fuck Was That Shit!?

PNut

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

What the world? How can you say that with a straight face? Sandtrap, Standoff, Avalanche, Valhalla and Rat's Nest were great BTB maps in my opinion. One flag or multi-flag on Rat's Nest was my favorite. Crazy carnage everywhere.

I do agree that Reach BTB is terrible. No debating that.

PNut said:
What the world? How can you say that with a straight face? Sandtrap, Standoff, Avalanche, Valhalla and Rat's Nest were great BTB maps in my opinion. One flag or multi-flag on Rat's Nest was my favorite. Crazy carnage everywhere.

I do agree that Reach BTB is terrible. No debating that.

Well you said Sandtrap was a good BTB map so your opinion basically invalidates itself. Black hole of suck there.

Shishka ruined every playlist but BTB suffered pretty hard, took the dude a whole month to remove a fusion coil.

You could nade the red box onto the Last Resort Flag cap spot.

Vehicle play sucked, because well, vehicles are shit. Always.

The netcode could barely handle non laggy 4v4 games in H3.

Avalanche was so big sometimes when I got a bad spawn I considered suicide just to get a better one, and once upon a time you spawned with an AR on that map. A Fucking AR, think about that.

Dare I remind you of BTB Heavies?

Booshka

xxjuicesxx said:
Dedicated Servers
60 FPS
and in-game advertisements of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Only PC Gaming could have that trifecta of awesome.

60 FPS is not required for console shooters, epic skyboxes with real geometry MILES AWAY is where it is at.
Here is a related Miles Davis album name.
220px-MilesDavis_MilesInTheSky.jpg

PNut

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Well you said Sandtrap was a good BTB map so your opinion basically invalidates itself. Black hole of suck there.

Loved it. Camp bubble shields with Sniper/Laser or Banshee the whole time. You must of searched solo most games.

Dare I remind you of BTB Heavies?

Oh lawd, forgot about BTB Heavies on Standoff. Amazing times.

Juices can't be hired if he thinks H3 BTB was bad. Just sayin'. :)

Edit- The AR sucks for any gametype.

Tunavi

Banned
holy shit im doing the pelican easter egg with hitmonchan and it erases all invisible walls on the map. Right now we are exploring the glassed city in the distance in pelicans. im flying towards the space elevator, gonna see if its an actual object

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
holy shit im doing the pelican easter egg with hitmonchan and it erases all invisible walls on the map. Right now we are exploring the glassed city in the distance in pelicans. im flying towards the space elevator, gonna see if its an actual object
The Banshee trick on The Package is also awesome - soft and hard kill volumes just disappear. My daughter and I flew to (and through) the mountains several miles away in the distance. So fun.

Miller's easter eggs are always awesome, but he outdid himself in Reach.

Top Bottom