• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB said:
That shot is from one of my favorite areas in the game. Seeing the ship go down and then working through the wreakage was so awesome; stuff like that is why I love the campaign.

Arbiter part of the game is so good. I don't know why many people complained o_o
btw that invisibility is actually an armor ability, it works exactly in the same way other than the fact that once activated you must wait for the gauge to deplete.

ncsuDuncan said:
My favorite theory right now is that Destiny is the name of a single planet that various factions will fight over towards colonization and control.
I agree that this is probably what we're going to do in "Destiny," but I was trying to provide speculation on the meaning behind the name of the game and why the factions are fighting for the planet in the first place.

PooBone

GhaleonEB said:
Yup, that's what the signs point to. I'm most curious about the game structure. It would be great if there was a global system for tracking the factions and how they are faring against one another in the competetive component.

Kinda sounds like MAG.

GhaleonEB

i nerini del buio said:
Arbiter part of the game is so good. I don't know why many people complained o_o
btw that invisibility is actually an armor ability, it works exactly in the same way other than the fact that once activated you must wait for the gauge to deplete.
I liked that it was self-cancelling. Shoot or be shot and it turned off.
Hitmonchan107 said:
I agree that this is probably what we're going to do in "Destiny," but I was trying to provide speculation on the meaning behind the name of the game and why the factions are fighting for the planet in the first place.
Inhabitable planet, rich with resources. Toss some religious zealots into the mix, maybe a dying homeworld.

Kuroyume

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm rereading "To Kill a Mockingbird," and I noticed something interesting.

During the Halloween chapter, Maycomb County holds a pageant called, "Maycomb County: Ad Astra Per Aspera," which means "from the mud to the stars."

I know Bungie has been using "Per Audacia Ad Astra," which means "to boldly reach the stars." I think a little wordplay/referencing is in effect here, especially if the name of the game is "Destiny."

Speculation: What if "Destiny" is about man's first foray into space exploration -- to raise oneself from the mud, and to boldly travel to the stars? "Destiny awaits" reminds me of manifest destiny, when Americans believed that they were destined to travel west across the continent.

What if each of the factions represents a reason for traveling into space?

Future War Cult: to conquer and reign
Osiris: Religious drive to space
Dead Orbit: Purely to explore
Seven Seraphs: Perhaps a rival religion

Wow

That's like Dax-level speculation. Like seeing a random texture in some obscure part of Halo 3 and then interpreting it as a cryptic message having to do with Halo fiction that was placed there by Bungie.

The next Bungie game will have writing on the level of GI JOE the movie. If you play the game and feel anything for it then it will be because of Marty and some fancy cutscenes but not because of the story or script which will likely stink.

i nerini del buio said:
Armor abilities and invis.sniping/swording/meleeing/camping already in halo2

proof:

230fb9.jpg

everybody stop complaining. adapt. deal with it.

jk. going through halo2 again. awesome game <3

I really loved the art direction in Halo 2. Apply that direction to the improvements brought to the table by Reach and you would have a great looking game.

When Jun says to Noble 6 "Welcome to Reach"... does anyone else find that odd that he had never been to Reach before?

The experimental Sabre program had to have had multiple launch facilities across different planets in order for Jun to say "welcome to Reach" as there was a launch facility of a TOP SECRET project already on Reach. It bugs me every time because of the plausibility that Noble 6 had been on Reach before - either for equipping his armor, training, Sabre stuff, or military affairs in general... has there been any commentary on this?

Kuroyume said:
Wow

That's like Dax-level speculation. Like seeing a random texture in some obscure part of Halo 3 and then interpreting it as a cryptic message having to do with Halo fiction that was placed there by Bungie.

The next Bungie game will have writing on the level of GI JOE the movie. If you play the game and feel anything for it then it will be because of Marty and some fancy cutscenes but not because of the story or script which will likely stink.
:lol :^)

MrBig said:
Hmm, I assumed it was because the Steak tags had all their armor unlocked, and some other videos have shown that other people have had the same.

This must be a really awkward moment for Achronos...

CUT TO:
INT. BUNGIE OFFICES -- DAY

Numerous BungieBros are chillaxin around the water cooler and eating free candy bars. Achronos enters.

ACHRONOS (suspicious that others got all armor unlocked and not him): Hey dudes. I just bought the Gold Visor for my Spartan. You dudes buy anything sweet out of the Armory lately?

NINJAonFIRE: Uh...Achronos...we uh...we need to talk.

CUT TO: Closeup on a single tear trailing down Achronos' cheek.

FIN

GhaleonEB said:
I liked that it was self-cancelling. Shoot or be shot and it turned off.

doesn't the reach's one work in the same way? move, shoot or be shot and you're (almost) visible again.

yesterday there was this guy on hemorrage camping invisible on the cliff near the dam (red base)... dear god it was so sad and infuriating é_é
and the sniper should be 3sk on the body, not 2. 2 is stupid.

GhaleonEB

i nerini del buio said:
doesn't the reach's one work in the same way? move, shoot or be shot and you're (almost) visible again.
I honestly don't know for sure. I've never used it in MP, and while I use the camo load out in Firefight Doubles Arcadefight almost exclusively, I don't use the camo often.

I want to say no - I've tagged people who were invisible and aside from shield flaring, they stay cloaked. At least, that's what it seems like.

feel

i nerini del buio said:
The gameplay and scenarios were not fun at all for me. Even the early chief vs elites/grunts stuff didn't feel that great coming from HaloCE, so put me in control of an alien who has to shoot waves of flood with covenant weapons in depressing looking cramped scenarios, with a narrow FOV and yeah... not fun. The vistas, epic background events and incredible soundtrack couldn't carry a game that was not fun at its core, for me. MP owned though.

edit- again, all of this is not fact, or necessarily correct, just how I feel

PooBone said:
That's pretty weak man. Preeeeeetty, pretty........ pretty weak.
Hey don't judge. The guy who got them is a huge halo fan who loves (and is not embarrassed of displaying) these kind of toys, so it was a win-win situation for me.

Zeouterlimits said:
Found the A Song of Ice & Fire game rumours quite funny. I look forward to whatever Destiny is, MMO, Persistent World, whatever.
All the hints or references have ticked my cockrells.

I would do terrible terrible things for an open world action RPG set in Westeros.

sly2thefox said:
Well it was non existent in H3 as any skilled player could out Br the melee noob.

Except for when there was...shutter...AR starts. AR CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!

Hitmonchan107 said:

During the Halloween chapter, Maycomb County holds a pageant called, "Maycomb County: Ad Astra Per Aspera," which means "from the mud to the stars."

I know Bungie has been using "Per Audacia Ad Astra," which means "to boldly reach the stars." I think a little wordplay/referencing is in effect here, especially if the name of the game is "Destiny."

Speculation: What if "Destiny" is about man's first foray into space exploration -- to raise oneself from the mud, and to boldly travel to the stars? "Destiny awaits" reminds me of manifest destiny, when Americans believed that they were destined to travel west across the continent.

HeadExplodeBig.gif

Hitmonchan107 said:
But the header that's used on the "See You Starside" article is the same one that's used for the "One of Seven" page (except for the addition of the text "One of Seven"), and both of these banners include the Latin phrase. I thought that we were under the agreement that the geography in the banner might be the planet.
That's why I said usually. :p

The Destiny logo on the Golden Tickets is the first sign that banner was connected to the new game. I was okay with just assuming it was a generic Aerospace graphic and question it saying "Per Audacia".

For all we know it was Urk taking some Destiny art and slapping the Aerospace motto on it, just to reference both of them in the Starside/contest headers.

I'll post all of the pictures for comparison when I get that contest stuff written up tonight. I've been pretty busy these past few days (out of town, then parents visiting) or I would have done it already.

Striker

i nerini del buio said:
What? Didn't like the new sidekick Arbiter who got to rarely talk and became a fading character?

neoism

Tunavi said:
If you're having fun playing alone, that's great. I'm not mad at people who play alone. It's just that when people go into MM by themselves and complain about their teammates, they have to realize thats the risk they take by playing alone.

edit:
fuck you plywood. I'm leaving and i'm taking your brother with me
totally understandable.. most of the time I just ingnore my teammates... For Reach its about personal performance for me.. I try my best to help the team in anyway, but my own game is more important.. I rarely care for winning, I just do my best no matter what. For objective I usually ignore it. I slay that's how I contribute to my team. Still funner playing with a team though.

GhaleonEB said:
Inhabitable planet, rich with resources. Toss some religious zealots into the mix, maybe a dying homeworld.
If we're fighting over the planet, are we assuming there isn't sentient life already inhabiting the world?

What if the game was a play on our popular culture beliefs about extraterrestrial life -- that humans are the only advanced species in the known galaxy? We discover Destiny and try to claim it for ourselves, but we're faced with a species equal or greater than our own. This theme is actually the main point of the pageant in "To Kill a Mockingbird." An old Confederate colonel tried to overtake Indian land ("for democracy"), but he and his men were overcome by the enemy forces.

Sorry. I just love speculation. Heh.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
If we're fighting over the planet, are we assuming there isn't sentient life already inhabiting the world?
No?

What if the game was a play on our popular culture beliefs about extraterrestrial life -- that humans are the only advanced species in the known galaxy? We discover Destiny and try to claim it for ourselves, but we're faced with a species equal or greater than our own. This theme is actually the main point of the pageant in "To Kill a Mockingbird." An old Confederate colonel tried to overtake Indian land, but he and his men were overcome by the enemy forces.
I'm much more interestd in who and what and how I'm shooting than why, personally. I think the TKaM speculation is interesting but it doens't get my juices flowing much. Epic territory to explore and fight over? *drools*

Edit: that background has been up for that piece since it went up. Might be a bit more of it visible though.

Hitmonchan107 said:

What if the game was a play on our popular culture beliefs about extraterrestrial life -- that humans are the only advanced species in the known galaxy? We discover Destiny and try to claim it for ourselves, but we're faced with a species equal or greater than our own. This theme is actually the main point of the pageant in "To Kill a Mockingbird." An old Confederate colonel tried to overtake Indian land, but he and his men were overcome by the enemy forces.
btw, if anyone needs a refresher on How To Kill a Mockingbird this animation does a really fantastic job of summarizing it quickly.

In fact, it could very well reveal the plot of Destiny.

Site loaded the first time for me, and now it won't load.

Blame Urk!
uLfnU0.jpg

YES! I can't wait to overuse that.

Going to get lunch. NOMNOMNOM

GhaleonEB said:
I'm much more interestd in who and what and how I'm shooting than why, personally. I think the TKaM speculation is interesting but it doens't get my juices flowing much. Epic territory to explore and fight over? *drools*

Edit: that background has been up for that piece since it went up. Might be a bit more of it visible though.
I'm a major fan of storytelling in video games. It's why I'm a huge fan of BioWare's games -- the gameplay might not be up to snuff in every game, but the stories are.

Except for the ending to "Mass Effect 2." What the Hell was that?

GhaleonEB said:

More of the continent is visible, and the moon looks like it's been shot by a fully armed and operational battle station.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm a major fan of storytelling in video games. It's why I'm a huge fan of BioWare's games -- the gameplay might not be up to snuff in every game, but the stories are.

Except for the ending to "Mass Effect 2." What the Hell was that?
hsxrX.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to see the new B.net! I'm on my iPod, and won't have access to a proper computer till tomorrow night. And by then, yall will have already found all clues and easter eggs, haha. Post pretty pics for me!

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
I am, to a large excent, but I'm also very interested how a story gets told in gaming, and the ways games let us craft our own stories. (This is why I thought Lone Wolf was so brilliant.) So potential of a larger scale Bungie title with an emphasis on exploration and persistance makes me tingle all over.

Halo 2 still has one of my favorite stories in all of gaming, alongside Panzer Dragoon Saga.

GhaleonEB said:
I am, to a large excent, but I'm also very interested how a story gets told in gaming, and the ways games let us craft our own stories. (This is why I thought Lone Wolf was so brilliant.) So potential of a larger scale Bungie title with an emphasis on exploration and persistance makes me tingle all over.

Halo 2 still has one of my favorite stories in all of gaming, alongside Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Kudos. I never had the chance to play Panzer Dragoon Saga. Wasn't it for the Sega Saturn? I stuck with Nintendo products until the Xbox.

Hitmonchan107 said:

What if the game was a play on our popular culture beliefs about extraterrestrial life -- that humans are the only advanced species in the known galaxy? We discover Destiny and try to claim it for ourselves, but we're faced with a species equal or greater than our own. This theme is actually the main point of the pageant in "To Kill a Mockingbird." An old Confederate colonel tried to overtake Indian land ("for democracy"), but he and his men were overcome by the enemy forces.

Sorry. I just love speculation. Heh.
If that is indeed the case, it could just turn into an Avatar scenario with the main character (us) switching sides and fighting for the indigenous species of the planet. But not like Avatar, because I don't like that movie.

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:

Want to take it further?

The game games place in the 70's or 80's. It's an alternate history kind of like Bioshock. Maybe Humanity finds some ancient artifact on the moon. Or if thats too cliche by now, the '69 landing on the moon created some sort of conflict back on Earth. Space Travel has opened up and everyone wants a piece. Technology progresses.... FTL drives are invented. Humanity stumbles upon a new planet... Destiny.

But by this point the political unrest has reached a fever pitch as everyone is in disagreement on how to proceed with this planet. All out war breaks out between the factions.

Online Infrastructure like Chromehounds.

Campaign is either separate campaigns for each faction.

Or it's told from a merc or something that works for every faction. Almost like GTA.

So many possibilities....

Homeboyd

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm sure this is super old, but this is the first time I've ever seen it. Probably because I've never signed out of my B.net account before.
I've never seen it either.

I can also pull up the Golden Ticket news story posted by Running Turtle but that's about it.

Hey You

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm sure this is super old, but this is the first time I've ever seen it. Probably because I've never signed out of my B.net account before.
That is new, it used to have Halo related stuff on it.

Top Bottom