• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
HaloGAF is above personal attacks, thank you very much.
Not so, alas.

Much of HaloGAF has been rolling with the personal attacks thing from day 1. That's the specialty of a lot of the old timers (Eazy was the master). I have a lot of folks on Ignore, and my criteria is when they go that route. If people can't talk Halo without sinking that low, I'm not especially interested in reading what they have to say. There's a difference between saying something sucks, and saying it sucks and the person who created it is an ass. (Post below noted. :) )

Letters said:
if only

v The people who let him just walk into the office and ruin Halo with his ideas are the ones to blame. He didn't do anything wrong, I too would destroy Halo for all of you if I had the chance to turn it into whatever I wanted.
At the same time, you need to let people own their work. If he's the lead sandbox designer, he needs to lead that area. I agree about not making Sage the sole foil for all the failings in the sandbox design, but at the end of the day, he did own it.

Tunavi

Banned
I'm good at these unintentional offensive jokes. I edited my posts, I know you can still see them in quotes, so I'm not trying to hide what I said, just trying to be polite.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
Much of HaloGAF has been rolling with the personal attacks thing from day 1. That's the specialty of a lot of the old timers (Eazy was the master). I have a lot of folks on Ignore, and my criteria is when they go that route. If people can't talk Halo without sinking that low, I'm not especially interested in reading what they have to say.
That poor scrolling wheel in your mouse when the poopingthencleaningit crew come in with their shenanigans...

Booshka said:
I guarantee Reach would have been worse without Sage, Bungie would have tried to do all that Armor Ability and bloom shit and probably would have made it even worse off than Reach is now. The equipment in Halo 3 borrowed some concepts from Shadowrun, and so it makes sense they would mix things up with Reach even more. I know everyone wants to hate Sage, but without him, Reach would have turned out worse in my opinion.

The main issue with Reach is the movement speed and momentum on player movement.
Movement speed is really fast in Shadowrun too so I don't know what happened. Overall the worst thing to come from Shadowrun were the grenades imo. Their arc in Reach is identical, and the power is pretty similar, the only difference is that in Shadowrun you can move around quickly, and also teleport through walls to avoid them.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
That poor scrolling wheel in your mouse when the poopingthencleaningit crew come in with their shenanigans...
I blame Bungie for the toilet humor:

mKEJ6.jpg

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
I've seen 10+posts in a row blocked before. :p

This is a digression, but I use the Ignore list less to ignore posts - I read most of them anyways - but rather as a way to tag posters I should know better than to let irk me. I've learned over the years that I need such reminders. Lately I've been taking everyone off of Ignore at the start of each new OT, and add people back slowly if they go there. The threads are more pleasant that way.

I wish life had an Ignore list.

Looks like Dani got some front-page lovin' from bs angel. Awesome!

Also, for those of you who need a PAX 3-day badge, @HaloWaypoint is holding a contest for one right now! Four random winners will be announced at 9 p.m. PST. (That's a little under six hours from now.)

Maybe it's because I'm using my laptop instead of the cruddy monitor at work, but are the front page images different? I feel like I can see the blue side geometry easier, and there seems to be some red fading going on in the gold middle image.

Booshka

thezerofire said:
Movement speed is really fast in Shadowrun too so I don't know what happened. Overall the worst thing to come from Shadowrun were the grenades imo. Their arc in Reach is identical, and the power is pretty similar, the only difference is that in Shadowrun you can move around quickly, and also teleport through walls to avoid them.
Shadowrun nades also beep loud as fuck, bright orange and more floaty in the air. There is player movement momentum in Shadowrun, but is necessary because of the way Teleport is based on player movement, along with some other abilities in the game.

In Reach I don't see the need, beside maybe Sprint, but Sprint is so clunky and annoying in Reach compared to something like Wired Reflexes in Shadowrun, so I don't see the need for the momentum, it really ruins strafing in Reach. Halo was one of the last few console shooters where strafing was really important, Reach diminished that skill way too much.

ElRenoRaven

Speaking of 343. I would kill for a feed for the new home of Halo. That's the biggest thing I love about Bungie.net I can check the feed and see if there is anything new easily. Can't do that with Halo Waypont's site. Something so simple and yet totally forgotten.

Oh and if any of the Bungie guys are still lurking I've noticed today's changes broke your rss feed too.

PsychoRaven said:
He really has. I mean it took more then just him to make all these changes that a lot of us hate. He wasn't alone in it at all. Sadly he seems to get all the hate for it though which I feel is kind of unfair.
It happens when you're the project lead. You're either the hero who has to dole out accolades to the rest of your team or you take the brunt of the shitstorm when your audience isn't liking what you're cooking. Not saying it's right, but it seems to be the way things are and have been for quite some time. I can appreciate how Sage and co. tried to bring in something fresh to the series, but I certainly don't have to like everything he's done. And I don't.

GhaleonEB said:
I wish life had an Ignore list.
It does; it's called being anti-social. Works wonders. :)

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
Speaking of 343. I would kill for a feed for the new home of Halo. That's the biggest thing I love about Bungie.net I can check the feed and see if there is anything new easily. Can't do that with Halo Waypont's site. Something so simple and yet totally forgotten.
The waypoint frontpage is pretty much the same as the old Bnet...
http://www.halo.xbox.com/en-us

e: maybe you mean an RSS feed? Never cared for those.

GhaleonEB said:
Not so, alas.

Much of HaloGAF has been rolling with the personal attacks thing from day 1. That's the specialty of a lot of the old timers (Eazy was the master). I have a lot of folks on Ignore, and my criteria is when they go that route. If people can't talk Halo without sinking that low, I'm not especially interested in reading what they have to say. There's a difference between saying something sucks, and saying it sucks and the person who created it is an ass. (Post below noted. :) )

At the same time, you need to let people own their work. If he's the lead sandbox designer, he needs to lead that area. I agree about not making Sage the sole foil for all the failings in the sandbox design, but at the end of the day, he did own it.
You're a wise man, Ghal.

Anyone have an idea as to what "Upper Neb" means? It's the filename of the Bnet's background image. It's probably something silly I can't figure out. :lol

sGzGUl.png

EDIT: How could I forget "Lower Neb"? Cartographers assemble!

lY4zWl.png

thezerofire said:
I'm not going to lie, I really liked the recoil over the bloom
Of course you did, who wouldn't? It was much better than the horrifying bloom that it has now.

thezerofire said:

According to Hamrick, the grenades came from liking Halo CE grenades. What they forgot is that Halo CE has very fast player movement, players can change directions fast, weapons kill quickly, and the grenades in CE didn't inta-explode when they got near players.

Unrelated fun from Objective last night. Who needs a DMR? :)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:

Also, for those of you who need a PAX 3-day badge, @HaloWaypoint is holding a contest for one right now! Four random winners will be announced at 9 p.m. PST. (That's a little under six hours from now.)

Maybe it's because I'm using my laptop instead of the cruddy monitor at work, but are the front page images different? I feel like I can see the blue side geometry easier, and there seems to be some red fading going on in the gold middle image.

<3

senador

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
You're a wise man, Ghal.

Anyone have an idea as to what "Upper Neb" means? It's the filename of the Bnet's background image. It's probably something silly I can't figure out. :lol

http://i.imgur.com/sGzGU.png

Upper Nebula. Upper meaning top most on the page. I don't think its anything worth reading into.

Steelyuhas said:

You tore it up that round. I didn't have to do jack but walk around with the ball. Damn you got some good thumper kills!

Fun games, I'll have to play with you guys again. Dem spawns were killer though.

senador said:
Upper Nebula. Upper meaning top most on the page. I don't think its anything worth reading into.
I figured it'd be something like that, good call.

EDIT: Lol, I mentioned renewing my Xbox Live Gold subscription on Twitter, and almost immediately got mentioned in a Tweet by Xbox Live Support. "Awesome, glad to hear it!"

Steelyuhas said:
Of course you did, who wouldn't? It was much better than the horrifying bloom that it has now.

According to Hamrick, the grenades came from liking Halo CE grenades. What they forgot is that Halo CE has very fast player movement, players can change directions fast, weapons kill quickly, and the grenades in CE didn't inta-explode when they got near players.

Unrelated fun from Objective last night. Who needs a DMR? :)
The arc is straight out of Shadowrun though, so I don't know. The bounce seems pretty similar too. But yeah, faster movement is necessary.

Also, what I wouldn't give for Halo 3's nades back.

Hitmonchan107 said:

Dilemma: want to keep my female Twitter followers. This contest and that desire seem to be at odds with one another.

Tunavi

Banned
Oddball on Sword Base. Red team gets high ground, shotgun, grenade launcher, AND the oddball. I swear bungie was trying to make a racist metaphor by giving the red team so many advantages.

senador said:
You tore it up that round. I didn't have to do jack but walk around with the ball. Damn you got some good thumper kills!

Fun games, I'll have to play with you guys again. Dem spawns were killer though.

Yeah they were fun, we'll have to play again. Spawns on Asylum and Zealot for the lulz!

thezerofire said:
The arc is straight out of Shadowrun though, so I don't know. The bounce seems pretty similar too. But yeah, faster movement is necessary.

Also, what I wouldn't give for Halo 3's nades back.

I guess its some of both then. The only thing that alarmingly wrong is the fuse timer is just ridiculous, along with the alarming magnetism, and frags sticking to you. I guess that's three things haha.

Hitmonchan107 said:
You done did skipped the ham and went bacon!

LOL

I conveniently cut off the video before I whiffed a ball melee hard and got myself killed.

Tunavi said:
Oddball on Sword Base. Red team gets high ground, shotgun, grenade launcher, AND the oddball. I swear bungie was trying to make a racist metaphor by giving the red team so many advantages.

Plus, they had me on the team. Advantage red team!

Syracuse022 said:
Dilemma: want to keep my female Twitter followers. This contest and that desire seem to be at odds with one another.
Solution: Take the photo with the sign in the nude. Women will swoon. Followers will flock. Badges will be won.

FyreWulff

I remember sticking someone with a frag in Halo 3 (I still have the film, but it's not on my share.)

Was pretty funny to watch them run around for a moment with smoke coming of their body and the ensuing blast.

Also bonk kills in BOOM! Ball are the reason why BOOM! Ball is so great. It's even hilarious when people do it to you. BONK

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
I remember sticking someone with a frag in Halo 3
That was fun. Happens more often in Reach though. In campaign, i've lost count how many times that has happened and in multiplayer i've gotten a few of those. And people have stuck me with a frag also...

Booshka

i nerini del buio said:
I love how in halo:ce stickies have a fuse time of like 3 seconds. Don't know why they changed them
They used to be great roadblocks in Halo CE, throw one behind you and stop someone from chasing you. Wouldn't really work in Reach because they could just sprint past it way before it blew up.

senador

Banned
Woorloog said:
That was fun. Happens more often in Reach though. In campaign, i've lost count how many times that has happened and in multiplayer i've gotten a few of those. And people have stuck me with a frag also...

I swear it happens all the time. Far too often I hear grenade whizzing and I run but it doesn't get quieter, then I die. I swear I get stuck by frags frequently.

I've played it a few times in matchmaking, but I still don't understand the rules of Power Slayer. You get a ten second power-up after every kill? Do the powers stack?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Power Slayer?? Is that in Action Sack or something? I've never even heard of it.

Tawpgun

The problem with grenades...

Radius is huge. There is damage fall off, but shields take AGES to recharge in Reach. I remember many times where I was hurt but the tiniest nade shockwaves kept me down forever... Not to mention if a grenade lands near you you will get knocked into the air. Meaning you can't maneuver.

Radius is huge. Fuse time is short and nades can detonate after 1 bounce/any external damage to them. Shorter than Halo 1's. MUCH shorter than Halo 1's. If they wanted to mimic Halo 1 grenades then perhaps the game should have played more like Halo 1. The grenades also detonate after bouncing and when another explosion/bullet detonates them. Halo 1 grenades never did this.

Radius is Huge. Fuse time is short and nades can detonate after 1 bounce/any external damage to them. Spartans move slower.
The big thing is the grenades are superpowerful and we don't have the agility and speed to dodge them. Sprint helps, and Armor Lock is a solution... but does that mean I have to use certain AA's in order to have grenades not be a total bitch?

Radius is Huge. Fuse time is short and nades can detonate after 1 bounce/any external damage to them. Spartans move slower. The Health System.No matter how messed up you got in Halo 2-3... if you were at full shields. Or even very close to full shields. A grenade would NEVER be able to kill you. Once at red health, a grenade will be able to one shot you.

Conclusion: Reach grenades are OP because of the various design and sandbox choices. We used to roll around with 4 grenades of each type for a total of 8 possible. Then it was 3 of each with a total of 6 possible (only 1 set of stickies on a map) And now we roll with 2 each for a total of 4 grenades possible... and yet this is the game where they become a big deal. Grenade spamming and those annoying death grenades have been in every game but they've never been so effective.

Rooster Teeth has just found NASCAR. They love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3Ul9NaZqM&feature=feedu

Summary Man said:
I've played it a few times in matchmaking, but I still don't understand the rules of Power Slayer. You get a ten second power-up after every kill? Do the powers stack?

I don't recall them stacking. Just a sprint like powerup and unlimited ammo while it's active?

A27 Tawpgun said:
Conclusion: Reach grenades are OP because of the various design and sandbox choices. We used to roll around with 4 grenades of each type for a total of 8 possible. Then it was 3 of each with a total of 6 possible (only 1 set of stickies on a map) And now we roll with 2 each for a total of 4 grenades possible... and yet this is the game where they become a big deal. Grenade spamming and those annoying death grenades have been in every game but they've never been so effective.

Rooster Teeth has just found NASCAR. They love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3Ul9NaZqM&feature=feedu

Yep, agreed on your grenade points. Frankie made a tweet about the video earlier today, I told him we always play it in customs. Lol, we never play customs anymore.

Devolution said:
I don't recall them stacking. Just a sprint like powerup and unlimited ammo while it's active?

Nah, they do stack, and you get different powers for different types of kills.

I don't know if these are right, but they are something similar to this.
-Headshot kill gets you 150% damage
-Assassination gets you active camo
-Melee kill gets you OS
-Something gets you unlimited ammo.

Thank you Hitmonchan, I am now listening to ODST score. Great stuff.

FyreWulff said:
If anyone wants to help me see the end of this weekly before tonight, my party is open.

Your FL is full...

I will also be trying to get some wins tonight...so far not so great.

Lack of sleep is an issue.

FyreWulff

Bregmann Roche said:
Your FL is full...

I will also be trying to get some wins tonight...so far not so great.

Lack of sleep is an issue.

It is? send me a text message so i can invite you then

I have to clean it out. Raise the limit already, MS!

Steelyuhas said:
Yep, agreed on your grenade points. Frankie made a tweet about the video earlier today, I told him we always play it in customs. Lol, we never play customs anymore.

Nah, they do stack, and you get different powers for different types of kills.

I don't know if these are right, but they are something similar to this.
-Headshot kill gets you 150% damage
-Assassination gets you active camo
-Melee kill gets you OS
-Something gets you unlimited ammo.

Thank you Hitmonchan, I am now listening to ODST score. Great stuff.

I kept getting unlimited ammo and some sprint like ability last time I played.

I hope some of you are on tonight when I am (sometime after 6/7pm pst).

Top Bottom