• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Is this old?

Economy Designer

It’s the economy, stupid! Drive players to invest in our game economy by analyzing the subtleties of behavioral economics and pondering the pitfalls of specialization and free trade. Theorize why people make irrational economic choices and use the tricks you’ve learned to ensure players only make the irrational choices you want them to. Create an economic system that will fulfill a player’s needs just as much as shooting an alien in the face.

The Economy Designer at Bungie will develop a robust and rewarding game economy that drives player behavior toward intended goals and validate those systems through intense simulation, testing and iteration. You’ll design the systems and mechanics which drive in-game trade, satisfy the players’ need for possessions and wealth whilst ensuring rewards retain their intended value despite attempts to exploit or grief the system. You will determine what data is necessary to mine, ensure we have all of the hooks necessary to gather that data, and come up with all of the interesting metrics and questions we should ask of that data. You will run simulations of these mechanics based on expected player behavior and test these simulated results against actual player behavior; tuning the live system accordingly.

An economy that is just as important as shooting? Oh my!

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Kudos. I never had the chance to play Panzer Dragoon Saga. Wasn't it for the Sega Saturn? I stuck with Nintendo products until the Xbox.
Yup. Came at the end of its US lifecycle, so not many copies were made. Right beneath Halo games lies the Panzer Dragoon series in my lists of all time favorites. Do this old timer a favor and watch Saga's opening montage for a taste of the sound and art design. I still think it's the most interesting game universe I've ever experienced. (The now-crude visuals of the first game's opening CG still is a masterpiece of nearly wordless world building and plot setting.)

Panzer Dragon and Halo both create incredibly rich universes with unique art and sound designs. I'd give so much for another Panzer Dragoon. Saga ended the way Halo 2 did. :(

Dani said:
Is this old?

Economy Designer

An economy that is just as important as shooting? Oh my!
I swear I'd read something like that before, but that does read as new to me. Not surprising, but it's certainly another indicator of where they're heading. I wonder how strong and deep the loot system will be.

That kind of stuff will have me by the balls.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. Came at the end of its US lifecycle, so not many copies were made. Right beneath Halo games lies the Panzer Dragoon series in my lists of all time favorites. Do this old timer a favor and watch Saga's opening montage for a taste of the sound and art design. I still think it's the most interesting game universe I've ever experienced. (The now-crude visuals of the first game's opening CG still is a masterpiece of nearly wordless world building and plot setting.)

Panzer Dragon and Halo both create incredibly rich universes with unique art and sound designs. I'd give so much for another Panzer Dragoon. Saga ended the way Halo 2 did. :(

I swear I'd read something like that before, but that does read as new to me. Not surprising, but it's certainly another indicator of where they're heading. I wonder how strong and deep the loot system will be.

That kind of stuff will have me by the balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4oTU0srt2I

<3 panzer dragoon, halo and metroid prime are the reason why I love videogames

ncsuDuncan said:
Of course, the existence of Bungie Aerospace means any hiring ads could be unrelated to the next game, but I doubt that.

Still, economic systems, Crimson, nautical-themed background...

I think we have a winner.
Dude, "The Meaning of Life" was the first Monty Python movie I watched, and it disturbed the Hell out of me. (I watched it when I was 11.)

Edit: Found this in the page element. And there's a lot more to the map than the gold area. There's blue areas of land off to the sides.

Perhaps the different colors specify which faction controls it.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Nautical? "See you starside" "per audacia ad astra" Nebulas in the backgrounds, etc
I can see what he means, though. A quick google for "nautical compass" yields this:

Nauticalcompass.jpg

On the front page of b.net:

destinycompass.png

I get a distincly old-timey vibe from the b.net compass.

MrBig

It's naval, but not necessarily nautical. See: no magnetic directioning. I think Hitmonchan is pretty close. Man's first ventures and empire in space, with 50s/60s sci-fi stylings

MrBig said:
Nautical? "See you starside" "per audacia ad astra" Nebulas in the backgrounds, etc
"Nautical" is commonly used to refer to seafaring ships and sailing, but the root of the word really just means "navigation."

As in, Aeronautics is the "navigation of the air." Ghaleon's compass post is what I was thinking of anyways. I don't think Destiny is ocean-themed, the map is obviously in space.

Besides, it was just to make a tenuous connection for a bad joke. :p

Hitmonchan107 said:
Dude, "The Meaning of Life" was the first Monty Python movie I watched, and it disturbed the Hell out of me. (I watched it when I was 11.)
Terry Gilliam directs my nightmares.

See also: Time Bandits, Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Twelve Monkeys.
Do NOT see: Jabberwocky. That one is just awful.

Oh, and be sure you save those pictures in case they disappear. I'm at work and haven't had a chance to search through the redesign yet.

Homeboyd

FyreWulff said:
Oni anywhere on their website now? (Besides as a banner for groups)
Not under the games section (yet anyways).

Oh and the Reach forum is still up: Link (It's under "Halo Forums" now)

Edit: B.net back online.

ElRenoRaven

ZayneH said:
Nice. Games page has a nice image carousel. Plus there's a few new images for the pre-Marathon games. Now I know why Evil Otto asked the Marathon Story forum about Minotaur:

http://www.bungie.net/images/dark/Projects/games/games_minotaur.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yea. I'm torn. Some of the games that had more images and other stuff have been cut down while a couple got some new images and recognition by just being put on the page where they belong. Either way it's just weird to not see Halo all over it now. Nice but weird.

Dax01 said:
Really? :/
Poor Merrill has become a whipping boy, like Shishka before him.

Not saying criticism isn't warranted, but there's a different between criticism and being shat on.
Pun not intended. >_>

ElRenoRaven

Zeouterlimits said:
Poor Merrill has become a whipping boy, like Shishka before him.

Not saying criticism isn't warranted, but there's a different between criticism and being shat on.
Pun not intended. >_>

He really has. I mean it took more then just him to make all these changes that a lot of us hate. He wasn't alone in it at all. Sadly he seems to get all the hate for it though which I feel is kind of unfair.

PsychoRaven said:
He really has. I mean it took more then just him to make all these changes that a lot of us hate. He wasn't alone in it at all. Sadly he seems to get all the hate for it though which I feel is kind of unfair.
Don't tell Sage, he'll nerf it

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
PsychoRaven said:
Wasn't he incredibly adamant about not increasing the magnum clip size?

Plywood said:
Wasn't he incredibly adamant about not increasing the magnum clip size?

I believe that was Josh Hamrick.

The changes to the Pistol were always baffling to me. It should have gotten at least two more rounds in the clip, instead the clip size not only stayed the same, but the weapon was actually nerfed, AND the AR got a buff making AR starts in this game a horrifying sight to behold to put it lightly.

Steelyuhas said:
I believe that was Josh Hamrick.

The changes to the Pistol were always baffling to me. It should have gotten at least two more rounds in the clip, instead the clip size not only stayed the same, but the weapon was actually nerfed, AND the AR got a buff making AR starts in this game a horrifying sight to behold to put it lightly.
I'm not going to lie, I really liked the recoil over the bloom

Karl2177

Dax01 said:
HaloGAF is above personal attacks, thank you very much.
:lol what?

Maybe I'm just noticing this trend, but someone makes an "attack" and suddenly someone says HaloGAF is better than that. It's always someone different everytime.

feel

Dax01 said:
HaloGAF is above personal attacks, thank you very much.
if only

v The people who let him just walk into the office and ruin Halo with his ideas are the ones to blame. He didn't do anything wrong, I too would destroy Halo for all of you if I had the chance to turn it into whatever I wanted.

Booshka

I guarantee Reach would have been worse without Sage, Bungie would have tried to do all that Armor Ability and bloom shit and probably would have made it even worse off than Reach is now. The equipment in Halo 3 borrowed some concepts from Shadowrun, and so it makes sense they would mix things up with Reach even more. I know everyone wants to hate Sage, but without him, Reach would have turned out worse in my opinion.

The main issue with Reach is the movement speed and momentum on player movement.

Top Bottom