• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
The problem with grenades...

Radius is huge. There is damage fall off, but shields take AGES to recharge in Reach. I remember many times where I was hurt but the tiniest nade shockwaves kept me down forever... Not to mention if a grenade lands near you you will get knocked into the air. Meaning you can't maneuver.

Radius is huge. Fuse time is short and nades can detonate after 1 bounce/any external damage to them. Shorter than Halo 1's. MUCH shorter than Halo 1's. If they wanted to mimic Halo 1 grenades then perhaps the game should have played more like Halo 1.
IIRC, Halo 1's grenades blew one second after they came to a rest, while Reach's grenades blow one second after they impact a surface. So if you heard one bouncing around, you had time to skedaddle before the thermonuclear explosion that was Halo 1 grenades went off. With Reach, the sound of a grenade clinking is the sound of your doom.
Letters said:
Holy crap that seems awesome!! Always heard about it but never saw it.

Would definitely join a session of gaf reach customs if it's all about playing that.
Yeah NASCAR is freaking great. I can't stop laughing when I play it. Like one of the guys says in the video, game types like that show how freaking awesome Halo is.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
IIRC, Halo 1's grenades blew one second after they came to a rest, while Reach's grenades blow one second after they impact a surface. So if you heard one bouncing around, you had time to skedaddle before the thermonuclear explosion that was Halo 1 grenades went off. With Reach, the sound of a grenade clinking is the sound of your doom.
Yup.

Just tested it.

GhaleonEB

I was listening to the ODST soundtrack while playing Firefight the other night. Such an amazing, rich score. It hits the heavy macho themes of the ODSTs, action pieces, ambiance and the dark, rainy streets of New Mombassa all beautifully. More Than His Share is still my favorite track, but I can listen to the entire score end to end and be constantly mesmerized by it. After ODST came out I had it in heavy rotation for months.

I bought the Reach soundtrack, but I have yet to put it in and listen to it. There's only a couple tracks from the game that stand out to me. I think it's the weakest in the series, which is too bad because for the first time the game narrative was trying to achieve the kind of emotional resonance and range that Marty's other soundtracks accomplished. Halo 3's score is often so beautiful, it gave the story a heft it otherwise didn't earn. I wish Reach's got to me the way the other scores did.

GhaleonEB said:
I was listening to the ODST score while playing Firefight the other night. Such an amazing, rich score. More Than His Share is still my favorite track, but I can listen to the entire score end to end and be constantly mesmerized by it. After ODST came out I had it in heavy rotation for months.

I bought the Reach soundtrack, but I have yet to put it in and listen to it. There's only a couple tracks from the game that stand out to me. I think it's the weakest in the series, which is too bad because for the first time the game narrative was trying to achieve the kind of emotional resonance and range that Marty's other soundtracks accomplished. Halo 3's score is often so beautiful, and it lent the story a heft it otherwise didn't earn. I wish Reach's got to me the way the other scores did.
Yeah. I love the opening cutscene of The Covenant for this reason alone.

Tunavi

Banned
DVbYm.png

Om nom nom

feel

Love love love the odst music. That part right after you play the ONI mission, and you resume as Rookie during the night looking at the burning ONI building in the distance while phantoms circle it, and Marty provides an incredible piece to really wrap it up as one of my favorite and most beautiful moments in any game, so good.

edit- ^ lol nice!

Ken

thezerofire said:
someone please play with me?

All your friends are dead.

I would but I'm on vacation. :(
Feel free to add me though and I'll play once my vacation ends. GT: Chocopolka

Tunavi

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Sad, I'm not going to get mine lol. I just moved to another place this past weekend, then I left town to stay at my parents for a little two week vacation.

And I carried you scrubs to that steak <3
hey i am not a scrub

lol someone is gonna find a 2 week old rotten steak on their front porch when they get home

ElRenoRaven

Oh good work Bungie. Just posted to facebook that Bungie.net upgrade is complete. Sure enough my feeds are back. Seems everything is working now too. They even added back the screenshots to their games section now.

Gettin kicked right when the game started was fun. That happened last night as well. Weird.

I'm queued to join again after the 6 hour Boardwalk game ends, but on the bright side I didn't have to play on Boardwalk.

The quit deterrent that Bungie programmed into this game doesn't seem to be doing much deterring.

I shouldn't be this anxious/excited for a Title Update. Save us Frankie.

MrBig

Blueblur1 said:
Not a fan of the new B.net and how it no longer has Halo 2 stats or an accessible link to Challenges.
Purged I guess. Halo isn't their game anymore.
Why keep Halo 2 stats?

Aren't the challenges viewable on Waypoint? That's halo's hub now, not Bnet

ElRenoRaven

Blueblur1 said:
Not a fan of the new B.net and how it no longer has Halo 2 stats or an accessible link to Challenges.

Yes it does. Go to Halo 3. There is a tab for Halo 2. There is your Halo 2 game history with a small bit of stats up at top. It has kills, Deaths, games played, and total assists. Challenges are still there where they have always been too.

Bregmann Roche said:
It's null and void: he had a kill with the AR.
Reminds me that I ran into a player with VOID as their callsign in one of my recent firefight matches. Thought it was cool to see NULL and VOID kicking some covenant ass ;P

GhaleonEB

@game_fabricator Marcus Lehto

not working is strange - it's not in my blood to sit for very long​

Link

So he's officially gone, then. :(

Hope to hear about his next endeavor soon.

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
I'll say this before Topgun gets in here.

ODST Score was so much better than Halo 2.
Without ever having played the games... I can see why ODST would be better.

But Halo 2 music invokes too many awesome memories.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Without ever having played the games... I can see why ODST would be better.

But Halo 2 music invokes too many awesome memories.

I played through the Halo 2 campaign at least 20 times. I did not have Xbox live for the Xbox...

GhaleonEB said:
@game_fabricator Marcus Lehto

not working is strange - it's not in my blood to sit for very long​

Link

So he's officially gone, then. :(

Hope to hear about his next endeavor soon.

For some reason it seems to me like there has been a lot of turn over of higher profile bungie employees but the only other that comes to mind is Jamie G. Who am I forgetting or am I just imagining things?

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
I played through the Halo 2 campaign at least 20 times. I did not have Xbox live for the Xbox...
It was good for its own standalone thing. But the Halo themes are just too good.

Tunavi said:
ODST is an amazing soundtrack, but this is better than anything from ODST

also, that neutral bomb game was awesome. Premium Battle and Team objective are the best playlists in Reach.

Yes. On all accounts.

"Soon the Great Journey shall begin. But when it does, the weight of your heresy will stay your feet. And you shall be left behind."

God whoever wrote Halo 2 deserves a damn medal. This medal:
Hero_Medal.PNG

darthbob

Steelyuhas said:
Yes. On all accounts.

"Soon the Great Journey shall begin. But when it does, the weight of your heresy will stay your feet. And you shall be left behind."

God whoever wrote Halo 2 deserves a damn medal. This medal:
Hero_Medal.PNG

I think you're thinking of Joseph Staten.

Top Bottom