• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

OuterWorldVoice said:
Certainly not, and yes, we will have different stuff in different playlists.

I will say this once for the record and once only. The TU is not designed to 'fix' or improve the game. The game as it stands is one of the best FPS games ever made. We are not arrogant or stupid enough to think it needs 'fixing.' The TU will add interesting and fun functionality that folks like you have requested. We will not harm or remove any of the core existing functionality of Reach because it is pretty damned amazing. We will however make it possible to play it differently in certain playlists. In ways big and small. And there will be sprinkles.

Not sure if I feel good or bad about this. I certainly think there is a number of small tweaks that would improve Reach significantly. I did not expect huge sweeping changes to the default gameplay, that would be ridiculous, but some changes to the default gameplay could help the game a lot.

In other news, I just started a new game of Red Dead, so I don't see myself on Halo anytime soon HaloGAF lol.

Booshka

Letters said:
What's a Boosh? I need to study this person or thing.
I'm a Boosh, and I bitch about Halo. Especially in the CEmake thread, I have said my peace
wrong word, I know
, and I await the changes that Frankie and Company employ to appease Halo CE MP fanatics like myself.

feel

sorry about not quoting, it's really awkward to multiquote or edit quotes in on the webapp:

@steelyuhas But people like Neoism and Louis Wu might love those little things, they're part of Reach and they want to play Reach as it is. More options to tweak how the game is played down to core gameplay stuff is the best way to go for them here. And a couple of trully classic playlists using this new functionality of course, I don't want to go around begging people to join customs. Things that were not by design (bugs, etc) are almost certainly being taken care of if they have the time, if that's what you meant.

@booshka I tought it could be referring to you! Now tell me, how much do you hate bloom and the heavy feel of the spartans, AAs and how much did you let 343 know about it in the CEmake thread?

You know, despite the fact that we've been made aware that changes are coming, and that we can have a small amount of dialogue with the developers behind the game (and now the TU) - my frustration with PR/marketing/community-managers and developers/publishers in general - is hitting an all time high. How hard is it to get a straight answer?

This is not directed at Bungie or 343 - rather the industry in general. I wouldn't expect a hard working development team read every post and reply accordingly - but replying in a thread with some ambiguous chatter on fixes, with no specific date or details thus far, and replying to a direct question (sword blocking) with "sprinkles", is just one of many situations that make me feel like the people behind these communications/answers (or lack thereof) are obnoxious. Another recent example is the Brink fiasco, with no one being able/allowed to give a specific, or even straight, answer. Thousand of gamers are left wondering "what?", because the only answers allowed through the veil of ambiguity are even foggier statements like "we're working on it", "we're listening" or "it's coming".

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like a brat. This forum and thread have been amazing - and interacting with the people behind my favourite game series is always appreciated and never taken for granted - especially given the marketing machine that is the industry right now. However the 'answers' don't answer anything. Saying that 343 are implementing requests yet contrasting with a statement saying you would never substantially change an amazing game - does nothing. All my friends and I know, is that there is a TU coming, and that the changes won't necessarily be across every playlist. Awesome. Surely there is nothing to lose by saying 'the TU has XXXX feature/change currently'. Anything at all has to better than 'I just played something in the TU that was most fun'. It's pointless teasing and draws attention to the fact that Reach is not everything I want it to be right now, and I have no idea when or how it will change.

/rant.

Again, not trying to be a brat - I'll take any communication from the key figures behind the game, over nothing at all. I just don't see 'why' we have to deal with the ambiguity behind each and every statement.

xxjuicesxx said:
Were just taking out the casuals kid. You're next.
That's another thing about Reach which is somewhat annoying to me. If you get stuck with some not-so-good players and end up facing a really good team of partied up friends, it's not even possible to halfway salvage the game and do well on an individual basis. Kills, without some form of a power weapon, take too long, completely ruling out the opportunity to get even a small amount of recompense from a match. I hate that. I also hate that when I was still playing Reach, I was almost always playing solo and joining randoms. Then you guys keep posting your gazillion game win streaks. It's no wonder that I wanted to set off a nuclear explosion after each Reach session. If anything needs to be improved upon in Halo4, it needs to give a little more power back to the individual player. My personal opinion anyway. I was always able to enjoy Halo2, and Halo3 to a lesser extent, even if teammates were bad, because I could look at my own performance and be happy. Not so in Reach. And power weapons don't count.

Ran into one of those lovely halo douchebags who called me the c-word and told me to make him a sandwich not 5 minutes after I was telling juices about guys telling me to make them sandwiches.

Booshka

Letters said:
@booshka I tought it could be referring to you! Now tell me, how much do you hate bloom and the heavy feel of the spartans, AAs and how much did you let 343 know about it in the CEmake thread?
I spent some time arguing about why I feel Halo CE has the best MP, and every Halo afterward has been a disappointment. I also spent a lot of time praising John Howard, saying how he is the reason Halo CE is so much better than the sequels. How I felt the Remake was a waste of time for someone like me. Stuff like that, I posted some walls of text in the thread, but I gave it up when I realized my point got across and I saw how much people were piling on the hate. People took it way too personal, so I stopped posting.

BTW Letters, I want you to know that I feel Reach is a better game than Halo 3, I didn't like 3 at all, it felt like a sloppy mess to me. I understand that the game has better maps, and a more classic Halo style, but the mechanics and netcode were pretty sloppy in my opinion.

My Halo Rankings would probably be Halo CE>Halo 2>Reach>Halo 3

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
Ran into one of those lovely halo douchebags who called me the c-word and told me to make him a sandwich not 5 minutes after I was telling juices about guys telling me to make them sandwiches.

You should start posting their GTs on GAF so we can spam them with "Make me a sammich" messages.

Devolution said:

That internets can always be counted on for grade A class.

Booshka said:
I spent some time arguing about why I feel Halo CE has the best MP, and every Halo afterward has been a disappointment. I also spent a lot of time praising John Howard, saying how he is the reason Halo CE is so much better than the sequels. How I felt the Remake was a waste of time for someone like me. Stuff like that, I posted some walls of text in the thread, but I gave it up when I realized my point got across and I saw how much people were piling on the hate. People took it way too personal, so I stopped posting.

BTW Letters, I want you to know that I feel Reach is a better game than Halo 3, I didn't like 3 at all, it felt like a sloppy mess to me. I understand that the game has better maps, and a more classic Halo style, but the mechanics and netcode were pretty sloppy in my opinion.

Agreed with your rankings.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:
If they live at home with doting mothers who bring them sandwiches each day, it's common that they'd have a skewed perspective on the world.

Must be a spoilt life to live at home when you're 20+ having sandwiches delivered to you day and night. Just imagine the bread bill. Those poor mothers.

vhfive

OuterWorldVoice said:

I will say this once for the record and once only. The TU is not designed to 'fix' or improve the game. The game as it stands is one of the best FPS games ever made. We are not arrogant or stupid enough to think it needs 'fixing.' The TU will add interesting and fun functionality that folks like you have requested. We will not harm or remove any of the core existing functionality of Reach because it is pretty damned amazing. We will however make it possible to play it differently in certain playlists. In ways big and small. And there will be sprinkles.
This is honestly sounds better than what I expected was going to happen.
<3

feel

^ yep :)

Changes that touched everything would make Reach fans rage, while still not pleasing old fans that much probably because these changes would be quite limited and constrained. This way they can go crazy if they so desire since it's just optional/side settings and playlists. I'm excited.

2mzy3k2.jpg
(wait, wtf why is 343 not in the end so it doesn't seem like I mean to focus on LIE... brb... edit- there we go)

Booshka said:

Hehe that's cool, I adore Halo 3 like few, and playing a 100% green bars, balanced skill range Team BRs game on the pit, heretic or guardian is pure bliss for me but I still think Halo1 and 2 are better (not counting the obvious improvements on 3 that came as a result of the better tech, developers having more experience and new ideas with the passing of time, trends, etc). You have them above Reach, having Reach as your favorite now that would make me sad. :lol

Very glad a Halo CE mp fan will might be pleased by what Frankie played earlier.

VVV

yeah xD
edited my wording​

Booshka

Devolution said:
http://fatuglyorslutty.com/ This website is a good way to give assholes on Xbox Live some accountability and then ridicule them.

Kuroyume

Banned
I actually find that post disappointing. Not fix or improve the game? We haven't complained about them as much as gameplay stuff but the frame rate issues and black screens should be addressed.

Kuroyume said:
I actually find that post disappointing. Not fix or improve the game? We haven't complained about them as much as gameplay stuff but the frame rate issues and black screens should be addressed.

Overall complaint here, would be nice if either Live or Halo 4 had a system in which blocking people actually worked. You know so I don't have to keep running into such wonderful people twice over.

Booshka

Kuroyume said:
Can't fix hardware with a TU. I also bet that is why Co-op Firefight is laggy, but Bungie can't really do anything because the 360 hardware is what it is, and they have to make pretty games regardless if the performance is bad. Also don't want to tell people that is why there are issues, wouldn't exactly be the best statement to read that Halo:Reach is held back by hardware.

Ken

Devolution said:
Overall complaint here, would be nice if either Live or Halo 4 had a system in which blocking people actually worked. You know so I don't have to keep running into such wonderful people twice over.

I wish Live would match me against people in the same 'Recreation' zone as me rather than with 'Underground' or 'Pro' players.

):

Karl2177

Booshka said:
Can't fix hardware with a TU. I also bet that is why Co-op Firefight is laggy, but Bungie can't really do anything because the 360 hardware is what it is, and they have to make pretty games regardless if the performance is bad. Also don't want to tell people that is why there are issues, wouldn't exactly be the best statement to read that Halo:Reach is held back by hardware.
But it's true... Microsoft didn't exactly design the console for more than 2 years. I mean 512 mb RAM? My computer has 2 gb and it struggles at times. Here's to hoping MS/Sony have 8+ gb in the future.

stephen08

Barrow Roll said:
Oh Jesus, lighten the fuck up.

You're right, I should be more accepting when people extend a completely one-sided match up for their amusement at the expense of the other team and then brag about it to their internet friends.

If you don't want me to comment on this then you (as a group) probably shouldn't draw attention to it.

Plywood said:
We didn't hold the flag. We just held the enemies in perpetual death.

Yeah clearly you guys are so good at the game that you can beat down on a team of randoms or lesser skilled players until the time limit expires.

At least I am quickly figuring out who the tools are here. No surprise to see EazyB in company. What happened to Ramirez? Not on?

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:

Frame rate issues: hardware is 5-6 years old.

Black screens: 343 and Bungie cannot violate the laws of physics. Do you want to change it to a blue screen when the host leaves or something? Because otherwise you're saying "somehow magically not stop the game when the server box leaves suddenly".

Booshka said:
I also bet that is why Co-op Firefight is laggy

The reason Firefight Co-Op is laggy is because it's using a completely different networking model than normal multiplayer. In Firefight and Campaign (and ODST Firefight and Campaign and Halo 3 campaign) the lockstep networking waits for everyone's inputs before advancing to the next update frame. It is much more sensitive to high ping than the asynchronous networking model of Multiplayer.

As a side note, Halo 1 used lockstep networking for LAN mode, hence why bringing it to a Live enviroment would require changes to the game to getting it working in asynch, unless you want to limit Halo 1 CEA multiplayer games to 4 player max and have Firefight Versus-style input lag.

I think Max Dychoff, the AI engineer on Reach, said in the best conditions the fastest reaction to input is going to be 3 frames versus 1 frame for multiplayer.

If Firefight were to use asynch, the AI could not be as interesting and the amount of AI that could be on the field at once would be massively reduced.

Tunavi

Banned
stephen08 said:
You're right, I should be more accepting when people extend a completely one-sided match up for their amusement at the expense of the other team and then brag about it to their internet friends.

If you don't want me to comment on this then you (as a group) probably shouldn't draw attention to it.

Yeah clearly you guys are so good at the game that you can beat down on a team of randoms or lesser skilled players until the time limit expires.

At least I am quickly figuring out who the tools are here. No surprise to see EazyB in company. What happened to Ramirez? Not on?
The game rewards you more for spawn killing rather than actually wrapping up the game with that final flag capture...

stephen08

Tunavi said:
The game rewards you more for spawn killing rather than actually wrapping up the game with that final flag capture...

Untrue. The game rewards you for your time playing, yes, but factoring in the slot machine comes up once at the end of the 15 minute game or multiple times based on that same span of time and it should work out to pay better if you finish faster.

Regardless though, credits as an excuse for griefing is pretty weak. You guys do it to have fun. Because winning and doing well at the game is fun itself. Ideally the game would prevent such actions but at the end of the day you guys are the ones making the choice to make the game miserable for the other participants.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
Frame rate issues: hardware is 5-6 years old.

Black screens: 343 and Bungie cannot violate the laws of physics. Do you want to change it to a blue screen when the host leaves or something? Because otherwise you're saying "somehow magically not stop the game when the server box leaves suddenly".

The reason Firefight Co-Op is laggy is because it's using a completely different networking model than normal multiplayer. In Firefight and Campaign (and ODST Firefight and Campaign and Halo 3 campaign) the lockstep networking waits for everyone's inputs before advancing to the next update frame. It is much more sensitive to high ping than the asynchronous networking model of Multiplayer.

As a side note, Halo 1 used lockstep networking for LAN mode, hence why bringing it to a Live enviroment would require changes to the game to getting it working in asynch, unless you want to limit Halo 1 CEA multiplayer games to 4 player max and have Firefight Versus-style input lag.

I think Max Dychoff, the AI engineer on Reach, said in the best conditions the fastest reaction to input is going to be 3 frames versus 1 frame for multiplayer.

If Firefight were to use asynch, the AI could not be as interesting and the amount of AI that could be on the field at once would be massively reduced.

You coming across a bit authoritarian dude, just so you know. More Palpatine, less Gaia from Captain Planet.

Your explanations for frame-rate issues and hosting issues are quite lame though.

The age of the hardware doesn't matter when it comes to frame rate. Decisions were made to make the game run the way it does but it doesn't excuse shoddy framerates, especially from a first party title. Halo 3 runs better than Reach.

Reach has the most inconsistent and disappointing frame-rate issues of any Halo title.

You also ignore the fact that more people quit out of Reach games than in any other past Halo title. That leads to an increased number of hosting issues but it does not explain the heavily increased amount of host changing that can occur multiple times in a single game with no one quitting.

Kuroyume

Banned
I know the fucking console is 5 years old. Doesn't mean the game should be dropping in the fucking teens in 8 player games on shitty looking Forge maps. Console games have gotten patches to improve frame rate before. Just saying...

Dude, I don't know the inner workings of the black screen okay. Excuse me for not knowing that. It's not common knowledge. You don't have to be so goddamn snarky about it. And if nothing can be done to fix the technical crap then... You know what I'll take a blue screen. I'll take even a pink screen. Anything over damn black screen which we've seen so much over the years.

FyreWulff

That's because Reach knows when a host is shit faster and will change the host. They went over it in the Bungie Podcast around April 2010, where they were talking about how it was using 60% less bandwidth than Halo 3, and mentioned that Reach also knew when someone's hosting ability was not up to snuff faster, and was going to switch faster instead of making people suffer under redbar for a long time like Halo 3 and Halo 2.

re: why Firefight is the way it is, here's the words from the horse's mouth:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming...ous_rts_engines_and_a_tale_of_desyncs/c24ue3y

maxd said:
Disclaimer: I'm not a network engineer, I'm an AI engineer. I worked on Halo 3, ODST and Reach and took an interest in how the networking worked, but I definitely don't know the implementation details.

Two things to note. Halo uses two different networking models:

Asynchronous networking for multiplayer, where the game state is published from a server to the clients. Some client side prediction is performed, which means each player sees their own avatar move smoothly.
Synchronous networking for co-op campaign and firefight, where each client runs in lock step, waiting for player input from each client before continuing.

The AI in Halo is entirely not networkable; it's virtually impossible to make as expressive an AI as we had with an asynchronous model. In an average network environment, synchronous networking actually works really well but you will experience very slight input lag (I could do the maths but IIRC on async. networking it's 1 frame and on sync it's 3 frames, best case). For very competitive players, like Halo has so many of, this is unacceptable.

May I recommend watching this presentation which my colleague David Alridge presented at GDC this year. I've actually not watched it myself but I know it was one of the best presentations at GDC this year and should be an invaluable lesson.

tl;dr: Pretty much everyone uses Q3's model for async networking if that's what you want to do.

Having worked on networked games myself, it's pretty obvious why Bungie chose lockstep for Firefight. And most other developers have done the same for their campaign co-op modes.

Finally, Halo Reach does not have the worst framerate issues of Halo games. Drops are rare for me. Halo 1 still takes the cake for shit framerate, where you spent most of a Sidewinder match playing at 10 frames per second at best. Add on the fact that the game paused for up to 2-3 seconds whenever a lot of physics actions happened at once, and Halo 1 was pretty choppy game.

What do you want Bungie to do, drop the rendering resolution like CoD does to keep frames up? After the backlash over Halo 3 being 640p, why would they do that again?

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:

Ok now we will have the option to turn these on ourselves correct?

Booshka

FyreWulff said:

So if Halo:Reach was running on better hardware, could it use that better netcode to allow for Co-op Firefight without the input lag, because that is what I mean by Hardware issues. I saw that GDC seminar about Reach netcode and how they have different types of netcode for MP and Co-op Firefight/Campaign. So, I know what you are talking about, I just think that Reach co-op firefight could probably run lag free on a moderately powerful PC (~$600) that has more processing power, RAM, and a better video card.

I just find it unacceptable that a key component of Halo:Reach is practically unplayable, and it is somehow allowed.

stephen08 said:
Regardless though, credits as an excuse for griefing is pretty weak. You guys do it to have fun. Because winning and doing well at the game is fun itself. Ideally the game would prevent such actions but at the end of the day you guys are the ones making the choice to make the game miserable for the other participants.
Nobody is making that excuse, Tunavi wasn't even in the game. We were being dicks but whatever, it's vidya games. And the game should have a forfeit option that an entire team can agree upon because like it or not, people will abuse and exploit things such as this. You can't rely on the honor system at all times. I don't consistently grief teams in objective games but I won't lie, trying to get that kill streak really high on what is essentially a shooting gallery is pretty fun. So sue us.

FyreWulff

Booshka said:
So if Halo:Reach was running on better hardware, could it use that better netcode to allow for Co-op Firefight without the input lag, because that is what I mean by Hardware issues. I saw that GDC seminar about Reach netcode and how they have different types of netcode for MP and Co-op Firefight/Campaign. So, I know what you are talking about, I just think that Reach co-op firefight could probably run lag free on a moderately powerful PC (~$600) that has more processing power, RAM, and a better video card.

I just find it unacceptable that a key component of Halo:Reach is practically unplayable, and it is somehow allowed.

It's a networking and politics problem, not a hardware problem. For them to have full AI in asynch they would basically have to have the bandwidth cost of a human player in Multiplayer for each AI entity, which would essentially be playing 40-person multiplayer (4 humans vs 36 or so AI), and Microsoft has strict limits on how much bandwidth a 360 game can use (and it applies whether there's a dedi server or if the game is peer hosted).

Synch lets them cram a ton of AI and make them do a lot of neat things for less bandwidth, the tradeoff is being latency-sensitive and you can't have join-in-progress on sessions. To do JIP in Firefight would essentially require the game to stop, send the film up to that point to the joining player (Which could be up to 40-50MB alone of data, depending on how long the game has gone on for already), and then fast forward the film so their simulation catches up to everyone else, and then you can resume the game again.

This is also why they cut multiperson viewing in Reach. Because it had to send a binary blob in Halo 3 that was multiple megabytes large, and clients usually just lagged out when you tried to show a clip to your party. The only films you could successfully watch in a party 100% of the time were games that were still both in your temp histories. Full game films worked about 50% of the time, and clips worked about 2% of the time. State data is huge and a bitch to send over the internet, and it's basically impossible to do under MS regulations. Luke Smith said once that if they had to do it again, multiplayer Theater would have been cut from Halo 3 because it was such a poorly performing feature.

Booshka

Barrow Roll said:
Nobody is making that excuse, Tunavi wasn't even in the game. We were being dicks but whatever, it's vidya games. And the game should have a forfeit option that an entire team can agree upon because like it or not, people will abuse and exploit things such as this. You can't rely on the honor system at all times. I don't consistently grief teams in objective games but I won't lie, trying to get that kill streak really high on what is essentially a shooting gallery is pretty fun. So sue us.
What if they all sent you messages, telling you to cap the last flag and end the game. They don't want to quit, lose credits, probation, etc, but the game is a complete waste of time for them. It is a dick move to just pad your stats against noobs then brag about it on GAF.

Bungie developed Reach for the 360, they knew what the hardware was going into development. Frame rate issues are no ones fault but theirs.

As for how it pertains to a TU, I don't pretend to know the technical side of this, but it seems unlikely that frame rate in the game could be improved through a TU.

stephen08

Barrow Roll said:

Well I don't know what everyone's tag is on here yet so I just assumed it was someone from the game since they were justifying it to me.

I absolutely agree that a forfeit option should exist. In fact, I remember posting about it a few years ago circa Halo 3.

But if you think that since the game allows for you to grief people that you are completely unaccountable then I disagree.

I like going for high running sprees as much as the next guy but if you are playing people who aren't nearly as good as you it's totally pointless isn't it? Or are you super impressed with this guy?

Steelyuhas said:
Bungie developed Reach for the 360, they knew what the hardware was going into development. Frame rate issues are no ones fault but theirs.

This. Blaming the hardware is stupid. You develop for it, not against it or above its capabilities. Or hell test the frame rate issues of the maps over a network. But nah, lets just ship as is.

feel

FyreWulff said:
What do you want Bungie to do, drop the rendering resolution like CoD does to keep frames up? After the backlash over Halo 3 being 640p, why would they do that again?
Does Reach really run at a higher res? What's the point of that with so much blur and the visual filters?? What a waste, they should've ignored the pixel counting nerds and gone with a better framerate instead. Halo 2 and 3 look sharper to me and I played all three games today on the same TV and console.

Letters said:
Does Reach really run at a higher res? What's the point of that with so much blur and the visual filters?? What a waste, they should've ignored the pixel counting nerds and gone with a better framerate instead. Halo 2 and 3 look sharper to me and I played all three games today on the same TV and console.

Look bro I like my ultra high res lens flare. Hater.

FyreWulff

Letters said:

Halo 3: 1152x640p

Reach: 1152x720p

(for comparison)

Black Ops: 1040x600 (360)
Black Ops: 960x544 (PS3)

We also lost some of the HDR range from 3 -> Reach from the bigger framebuffer that double buffered 720p requires.

Top Bottom