• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

stephen08

FyreWulff said:
Halo 3: 1152x640p

Reach: 1152x720p

We also lost some of the HDR range from 3 -> Reach from the bigger framebuffer that double buffered 720p requires.

So Reach renders at a different aspect ratio? Was Halo 3 stretched or something?

feel

Sigh... but hey, if one dude somewhere basks in the joy of winning a resolution battle in some console wars forum and another one somewhere else is touching himself looking at the extremely detailed 3d skyboxes/backgrounds, the frame-rate drops are well worth it.

And just noticed Ghaleon's dual wielding post.... :lol :lol (actually laughed in real-life, bravo good sir)

Booshka

Letters said:
Sigh... but hey, if one dude somewhere basks in the joy of winning a resolution battle in some console wars forum and another one somewhere else is touching himself looking at the extremely detailed 3d skyboxes/backgrounds, the frame-rate drops are well worth it.
Don't have to worry about framerate drops for screenshots to put into magazines and on websites.

Letters said:

If I played h2 I'd just cry at how much the remade maps suck in the sequels.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Certainly not, and yes, we will have different stuff in different playlists.

I will say this once for the record and once only. The TU is not designed to 'fix' or improve the game. The game as it stands is one of the best FPS games ever made. We are not arrogant or stupid enough to think it needs 'fixing.' The TU will add interesting and fun functionality that folks like you have requested. We will not harm or remove any of the core existing functionality of Reach because it is pretty damned amazing. We will however make it possible to play it differently in certain playlists. In ways big and small. And there will be sprinkles.
I have only one response to this...

vhfive said:
asylum :(
Even with all it's flaws it's still one of the best Reach maps.

I was talking with someone about how you know a game has some fucked up maps when you refer to the better ones as "less shitty" instead of "good."

Sai-kun

Banned
Devolution said:
I was talking with someone about how you know a game has some fucked up maps when you refer to the better ones as "less shitty" instead of "good."

Did we talk about that yesterday? It's so true.

Sai-kun said:
Did we talk about that yesterday? It's so true.

I think so. We should rank maps based on types of shit.

types-of-shit.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
stephen08 said:
You're right, I should be more accepting when people extend a completely one-sided match up for their amusement at the expense of the other team and then brag about it to their internet friends.

If you don't want me to comment on this then you (as a group) probably shouldn't draw attention to it.

Yeah clearly you guys are so good at the game that you can beat down on a team of randoms or lesser skilled players until the time limit expires.

At least I am quickly figuring out who the tools are here. No surprise to see EazyB in company. What happened to Ramirez? Not on?
We're having fun with the game and we're not cheating it is as simple as that. It is the enemy players decision to stay and try their best to no avail.

What do they gain from staying? Nothing but some credits. What do we gain from them staying? Playing and actually enjoying the game for an extended period, otherwise the majority of our matches would be done within the first couple of minutes. It is not our fault that there is no forfeit option in the game to let lesser players take a loss without quitting.

Here's the fact: Trueskill is a sham and does not match people up properly. So if we choose to have fun with lesser skilled players we will by all means have our fun. You know, the reason why people play videogames. Why do this? Winning gets boring after a while and the fact is the funnest part of first person shooters is shooting. If you're playing FPS to not shoot things you're playing the wrong genre.

As for calling us "tools", both a dramatic and ridiculous claim. Kindly get over yourself because you're judging people over what they do in a videogame.

A videogame which is in truth broken in many ways because of how well it can be abused. The truth is the number of things they added to allow casual players a better chance at a kill has actually proven to be most detrimental to the casuals themselves. You take any of those AA's and a skilled player will absolutely and utterly dominate a lesser skilled player because of them.

Do you know what AA's are? They're powerups that are given to you on spawn. Better players will take those AA's and run through lesser players with them. Hell, at times it doesn't even take a better player as much as it can take a cheap tactic with an AA to ensure a win.

The majority of AA's are broken and a result the game as a whole is inconsistent, broken and a frustrating mishmash at one point or another. I'll play the game how I want as long as what I do isn't considered cheating and will not get me banned.

I teabag someone? They deserved it.

I blain a kid? His fault for getting in my line of sight.

I ninja someone? L-O-L

I spawn camp kids and they choose to stay to my benefit? Feelsgoodman.jpg

Fact is you act as if our actions affect the community as a whole. Fact is, they don't.

You know what affected the way I play? The game.

Next, Flag Slayer as a Team Objective gametype is a joke. I will gladly take advantage of its presence in the playlist.

I can't believe how some of you can even defend these things, but I'm sure someone will figure out some kind of mentally backwards rebuttal.

To hear that 343i is only adding "sprinkles" is disappointing, that said I'll hold out for the actual info and the subsequent TU before I decide how good there sprinkles may or may not taste on my cupcake.

wwm0nkey

I just want to know if we can turn on these sprinkles by ourselves or if we have to wait for them to be included into MM.

Plywood said:
We're having fun with the game and we're not cheating it is as simple as that. It is the enemy players decision to stay and try their best to no avail.

What do they gain from staying? Nothing but some credits. What do we gain from them staying? Playing and actually enjoying the game for an extended period, otherwise the majority of our matches would be done within the first couple of minutes. It is not our fault that there is no forfeit option in the game to let lesser players take a loss without quitting.

Here's the fact: Trueskill is a sham and does not match people up properly. So if we choose to have fun with lesser skilled players we will by all means have our fun. You know, the reason why people play videogames. Why do this? Winning gets boring after a while and the fact is the funnest part of first person shooters is shooting. If you're playing FPS to not shoot things you're playing the wrong genre.

As for calling us "tools", both a dramatic and ridiculous claim. Kindly get over yourself because you're judging people over what they do in a videogame.

A videogame which is in truth broken in many ways because of how well it can be abused. The truth is the number of things they added to allow casual players a better chance at a kill has actually proven to be most detrimental to the casuals themselves. You take any of those AA's and a skilled player will absolutely and utterly dominate a lesser skilled player because of them.

Do you know what AA's are? They're powerups that are given to you on spawn. Better players will take those AA's and run through lesser players with them. Hell, at times it doesn't even take a better player as much as it can take a cheap tactic with an AA to ensure a win.

The majority of AA's are broken and a result the game as a whole is inconsistent, broken and a frustrating mishmash at one point or another. I'll play the game how I want as long as what I do isn't considered cheating and will not get me banned.

I ninja someone? L-O-L

Fact is you act as if our actions affect the community as a whole. Fact is, they don't.

Next, Flag Slayer as a Team Objective gametype is a joke. I will gladly take advantage of its presence in the playlist.

I can't believe how some of you can even defend these things, but I'm sure someone will figure out some kind of mentally backwards rebuttal.

To hear that 343i is only adding "sprinkles" is disappointing, that said I'll hold out for the actual info and the subsequent TU before I decide how good there sprinkles may or may not taste on my cupcake.
XyqQY.gif

FyreWulff

Oh hey, I found my Halo PC CD! Time to reinstall.

rLsZN.jpg

Time to patch to 1.09!

Alright, let's see what we got for servers. Here's a 15/16 server playing Infection on Ice Fields, let's check this out.

*Joins server*

*Zombies have ammo-less shotguns and can only melee, humans have FRGs*

*Alt-F4*

OuterWorldVoice said:

I will say this once for the record and once only. The TU is not designed to 'fix' or improve the game. The game as it stands is one of the best FPS games ever made. We are not arrogant or stupid enough to think it needs 'fixing.' The TU will add interesting and fun functionality that folks like you have requested. We will not harm or remove any of the core existing functionality of Reach because it is pretty damned amazing. We will however make it possible to play it differently in certain playlists. In ways big and small. And there will be sprinkles.
Do you consider overpowered grenades as part of Reach's core awesomness?

OuterWorldVoice said:

And that's really all that's needed, too.

Kujo

Plywood said:
I don't get the teabagging etiquette, what would be an example of when they deserve it? Myself, I never initiate the teabag, but I might be inclined to do a revenge teabag if they had done such an act first

Plywood said:

I ninja someone? L-O-L

Im not gonna lie, originally I was going to post:

"beating on bad players doesnt expose broken shit", but after reading your post I agree with you.

Hell, at times it doesn't even take a better player as much as it can take a cheap tactic with an AA to ensure a win.

Sadly this is something I spotted pretty early on. The 'better' players in Reach are typically the guys who just spam cheap shit. Either way seems like having fun in Reach involves going out of your way to make a meta game out of it. The thing is, GAF is going to chastise you guys for just doing it for your stats, but im guessing that with Reach you guys couldnt care less how your stats looked? I know thats how I feel, I have gone out of my way to play games where me and my doubles partner let the enemy get like 20 kills on us before we start trying, we lose shitloads of games in a row, but its more fun than going through the typical motions lol.

That said Frankie's post is still spot on, I dont expect Reach to dramatically change, but if we can get a playlists that solves our problems then that makes us happy and makes the mass market happy.

Im finding myself less interested in all this stuff as time goes on really. Right now I just dont see how they can balance all the stuff from Reach and impliment it in Halo 4 whilst providing the classic experience, hopefully Halo 4 comes with a classic++ playlist, but right now im skeptical, and for the first time in a long time im really not that interested in Halo anymore.

Yea guys where is your Halo Honor!? Spawn killing and objective holding, FOR SHAME!

Also good job winning that game without me and keeping my 50 something game win streak alive. Sorry my internet cut out for HOURS, so annoying because I wanted to keep going!

Also Slayer Flag is amazing. Thats probably the gametype I'm going to get my Unfriggenbelievable in. 3 deaths and 3 kills short of it!

BTW, how is it our fault that MM can't give us a solid match? Even teams of 5-6 we trounce through with very little opposition, I think the closest game last night was 75-~55ish and they were all damn high rank. Its not like there's an actually competitive playlist past 4 players (MLG and Arena are the only two in Reach) and we often have more than 4 players so we can't go in those...

Anyone is up for custom today? I really want to play some funny custom matches, but I never can gather a lot of people. Oh yeah funny custom matches aren't doable, because Reach has bloom, armor lock etc. Unfortunately I had a lot of fun with some HBO dudes yesterday. Believe it is possible to have fun with Reach.

Hypertrooper said:
Anyone is up for custom today? I really want to play some funny custom matches, but I never can gather a lot of people. Oh yeah funny custom matches aren't doable, because Reach has bloom, armor lock etc. Unfortunately I had a lot of fun with some HBO dudes yesterday. Believe it is possible to have fun with Reach.

I really wanna try out flag slayer, I havent played it before. Out of interest what gametypes did you play with the HBO lot? From what I saw before they stick to party games? Those kind of gametypes are fun once in a blue moon but I prefer to try and get 'proper' gametype games in once in a while aswell. What kind of stuff you planning to play?

bobs99 ... said:
I really wanna try out flag slayer, I havent played it before. Out of interest what gametypes did you play with the HBO lot? From what I saw before they stick to party games? Those kind of gametypes are fun once in a blue moon but I prefer to try and get 'proper' gametype games in once in a while aswell. What kind of stuff you planning to play?
I only played 3 games with them. We played Fiesta Slayer on a Cold Storage remake and 2 TO-gametypes(2-flags and Neutral Assault) on a Rat's Nest gametype(I guess the map was called Atrium).

Hypertrooper said:
I only played 3 games with them. We played Fiesta Slayer on a Cold Storage remake and 2 TO-gametypes(2-flags and Neutral Assault) on a Rat's Nest gametype(I guess the map was called Atrium).

I would be up for that kinda stuff, im actually suprised Fiesta doesnt exist in action sack.

Why would anyone remake cold storage!?? It wasnt great in Halo 1, it was aweful in Halo 3, I cant imagine it being better in Reach lol

FyreWulff said:
Judging by recent posts and past threads, it seems your goal is to flag hold in Objective gametypes and killgrind so even more people are driven away from wanting to play Objective.

Zing!

Hypertrooper said:

It was fun having you! I'm glad you talked a bit more this time, as you probably noticed that most of us talk and rip into each other a lot! Also two highlights from yesterday can be found here.

Well, I caught up with the thread, and all I have to say to objective holders is...douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag.

One of the best moments recently was running into Hollywood Hogan and his cohorts (highly-skilled squad of objective-holding douchebags) in Flagstravaganza or something, and having my whole team, including myself, instantly quit (I almost never quit). I mean, just think, if everyone who came across them did the same, they wouldn't be able to play the game anymore.

If you want to play Slayer, play Slayer. If you want to play objective, play the objective, and save the long-winded explanations on why you're a douchebag.

kylej

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
The game as it stands is one of the best FPS games ever made.

Joke post?

xxjuicesxx said:
Were just taking out the casuals kid. You're next.

I really think Nintendo should be sending me royalties. Between COD and Halo I have to wonder how many people I've sold Wiis too. Whether it's triple dogs in one game of COD or donging on Squad Slayer teams 75-8, that's a lot of copies of Mario Kart sold.

kylej said:
Joke post?

I really think Nintendo should be sending me royalties. Between COD and Halo I have to wonder how many people I've sold Wiis too. Whether it's triple dogs in one game of COD or donging on Squad Slayer teams 75-8, that's a lot of copies of Mario Kart sold.

Im only just getting back into Black Ops, you guys still need your token british kid?

Call of Duty Elite beta invites are being handed out today, watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdqvsZRbDuU&feature=youtu.be

It seems like they are only just doing the whole bungie.net thing now, they tried with World at War but it wasnt that user friendly. I really cant believe 3 years on that people are still struggling to do what Bungie got right pretty much first attempt.

kylej

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Im only just getting back into Black Ops, you guys still need your token british kid?

Iscariote is moving to California right now. When he gets back we'll start donging again..... but expect lots of screaming as he gets used to playing East Coast host on the West. People's ears are gonna fall off.

stephen08 said:
At least I am quickly figuring out who the tools are here. No surprise to see EazyB in company. What happened to Ramirez? Not on?

btw who are all these juniors crying about how people here play? Why did you sign up for GAF if all the regulars are assholes in your view? Ramirez, Eazy, Juices, Tawpgun, Tunavi, Plywood, all the TJs, etc are pretty much the best and most enjoyable people to play the game with. Just weird to me that all these new kids take such offense at shit thats been going on for years. Go back to HBO and cry on each other's shoulders if it's so offensive to you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Mojo said:
I don't get the teabagging etiquette, what would be an example of when they deserve it? Myself, I never initiate the teabag, but I might be inclined to do a revenge teabag if they had done such an act first

I ninja someone? L-O-L

This part? http://tinyurl.com/y86knbw
HiredN00bs said:
Well, I caught up with the thread, and all I have to say to objective holders is...douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag.

One of the best moments recently was running into Hollywood Hogan and his cohorts (highly-skilled squad of objective-holding douchebags) in Flagstravaganza or something, and having my whole team, including myself, instantly quit (I almost never quit). I mean, just think, if everyone who came across them did the same, they wouldn't be able to play the game anymore.

If you want to play Slayer, play Slayer. If you want to play objective, play the objective, and save the long-winded explanations on why you're a douchebag.
You know what's insulting? When I raise a number of valid points and you shit all over it. How classy of you to write off my post by addressing it but not having the courtesy to quote it... What's the word I'm looking for? Douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, douchebag.

The rebel you are quitting out of games, if only people would follow your shining beacon of morality and Halo honor. Truly a fine moment in your time with Reach, so much so you had to tell us how it was one of your best. Yes it was so good that one time you didn't play, if only you'd do it more often.

As for Objective, we do play it you clown, we just play at a different pace and style than others.

The party I rolled with alternates anywhere from 4-8 and Team Slayer is a unplayable mess so we play Objective with maps that aren't made with blocks(barring Asylum) and have more bearable framerates and colors that aren't just gray. When we get 5 players we play Squad Slayer. Six? Premium battle. 7-8? Big team.

I don't know where the latest batch of members came from but the fact is a number of you have come to our community and you mock judge our posters then proceed to cry wolf. Posters you know nothing about and while I have no problem with none of you personally you sure know how make yourselves be on someones shit list.

Both HiredNoobs and Stephen play together and bully kids around too. They play A LOT, they are both Forerunner's (thats pretty high up there) In fact Stephen's K/D is higher than mine in Objective, which is odd. Because I'm the one going "just for slaying"...

So yea.

FyreWulff

Adventures in Halo 2 Custom Map Downloading brought to you by Mt Dew:

sandtrap_h2_001.jpg

Dear lord in heaven I have no idea why they bothered to try and pull this off

sandtrap_h2_002.jpg

I guess at least they rendered the elephant as part of the BSP so it'd be mostly properly lighted.

And check the box for "let's stick trees in this map because we can"

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
Adventures in Halo 2 Custom Map Downloading brought to you by Mt Dew:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/fyrewulff/sandtrap_h2_001.jpg[IMG]

Dear lord in heaven I have no idea why they bothered to try and pull this off[/QUOTE]
Someone made a really nice snow/night version of Sandtrap for HCE. Was actually pretty good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxjuicesxx said:
Both HiredNoobs and Stephen play together and bully kids around too. They play A LOT, they are both Forerunner's (thats pretty high up there) In fact Stephen's K/D is higher than mine in Objective, which is odd. Because I'm the one going "just for slaying"...

So yea.
Awesome.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
Someone made a really nice snow/night version of Sandtrap for HCE. Was actually pretty good.

Got a link to it? Halomaps seems to be acting slow for me.

edit: also forgot to mention that maps also has the obligatory "let's throw in the Half Life 2 crowbar because lol"

I want to say I've never been one for elongating the objective games, but you really do get a shitty payout winning fast and the jackpot on a short game tends to just equal enough to make the average game payout around 1.2K credits. It doesn't seem to give any jackpots, hell objective doesn't even give you a winning game bonus, which is RIDICULOUS.

I've always been one who goes for the "win" though. I'm at about a 90% in objective, I assume most of my losses were back when Reach gave me a headache because I actually went in alone. Those days are behind me now, because MM matches you with randoms all the time. There is no trueskill in social, this I'm absolutely positive, We still get matched with guests all the time in Squad, Doubles, and I've played 100-200 games in those lists. Theres absolutely no reason this would happen if I have a hidden number behind there.

So after the fact I realize I can win no matter what I try and make mini games, Right now I want to hit an Unfriggenbelievable (40kill spree) and I want to increase my competitive win percent, and K/D. One of these mini games just happens to be extending objective to get crazy sprees. Also I want to see how many kills our team can get, that Slayer Unlimited game on Tempest we managed ~250 which was good but I've seen better, and know I can do better.

What I would suggest if they wanted me to actually play objective is to give me 500 credits everytime I cap a flag, and give me 1000 credits every game I win! Then I would be inclined to play objective and win because I'd move up ranks faster, because really the ultimate goal is probably to hit Inheritor rank before Reach goes out of style.

FyreWulff said:
Frame rate issues: hardware is 5-6 years old.

Black screens: 343 and Bungie cannot violate the laws of physics. Do you want to change it to a blue screen when the host leaves or something? Because otherwise you're saying "somehow magically not stop the game when the server box leaves suddenly".

He's talking about how the game black screens and swaps host 2 seconds into the game all the time. The host didn't leave.

FyreWulff

Okay, a lot more loving and tender care went into the Snowtrap conversion.

Seems the author was more aware of the target engine's weaknesses and modified the map accordingly

Striker

Is it sad that version of Sandtrap looks better than the original Halo 3 version?

xxjuicesxx said:

So yea.
Kills in objective means nothing really. Checking medals and viewing how many a person has can kind of pinpoint what a person does in the playlist.

Agree the payout for winning fast sucks, that's been known for a while. Zealot games especially seem to end in 2 minutes. That was a big problem Bungie handed us as they released Reach. That said, I still don't get the notion of people, some who were in that game, who go around clamoring "LOL credits!", but sit in the game for its full exposure spawn killing players just to pad their delusive k/d, which has meant nothing for ages. Unless the players on the other team were complete jackasses throughout, I never hold an objective nor would I just sit in their base and spawn camp wasting their time, and my own just because. Meanwhile to take it to an internet forum and brag about. But funny enough, it's often those same people getting spawn camped or destroyed in a map/game, and they come to those same internet forums and blame bloom, AA's being broken, blame the poor maps, settings, or "try-hards" on the other team.

Tawpgun

One thing I want to clear up about this Objective arguement. I can only speak for myself, but if I had to guess... no one ever made any decision, silently or aloud, and said. YO WE GOT 2 FLAGS LETS BOOST OUR K/D's!

We weren't padding stats.

We aren't bragging either. I posted that and all that Halo Justice/White Knight shit as a joke but I guess some of you saw it differently. My fault for being unclear I guess.

So I'll say this once. I posted that to show everyone how goddamn broken trueskill, matchmaking, and Tempest are.

We got matched against players that were far below us. Not only that, but our FULL party got matched with either lone players or segmented parties of 2 or 3. And then Tempest. I don't think you realize where we actually were.

We had 1 or 2 people JUST outside of the front of the base. Everyone else was literally in their back spawn. EazyB actually took a warthog and parked it in the back of their base and shot people with the turret as they spawned. RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. I was sitting basically on their flag. They were spawning about 10-20 feet away from me. In the other game we played we had one or two people near their back spawn to the side, and everyone else was on the rocks in front of their base. They were completely locked down.

I'm sorry if you saw it differently because I do usually think padding stats is retarded. I sometimes go into TO alone and I'll occasionally get a team that literally says out loud to not cap it and go for kills. I cap it all the time.

But when shit like this needs to be brought to light we are going to abuse the HELL out of it to prove a point. But was it fun? Of course it was. Do I want it fixed? Yesyesyesyesyes.

Tunavi was also right. We got an extra 1k+ credits for staying to the end. Slot machines rarely get that high. It's always in the triple digits unless you get lucky. The credit system as far as rewarding players is a terrible system. I like the fact that you can save up to buy stuff. That should be kept. But the credit system needs an overhaul (TU plz?) Right now there is literally NO incentive for winning. Not to mention we have NO idea how certain values are calculated. Game Complete seems to be on time. But then what about the performance bonus? If I go crazy big in a game of Rumble Pit and only get 200 for performance bonus... is that a joke? I also can't fathom why there isn't a victory bonus of ANY kind.

Not sure if its possible with a TU, but if 343 could add like a 2-3k victory bonus winning might actually be preferred to waiting a game out.

Anyway, in summary,

1. We weren't padding stats
2. We weren't bragging, just exposing
3. Jokes got taken the wrong way

And so you'll hate us. Because we can take it. Because we're not your heroes. We're silent guardians, watchful protectors... Dark Knights.

Or something like that.

Fix this shit.

kylej said:
I lol'd.

Tunavi

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
HiredN00bs said:

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea we joke a lot, you guys just gotta adapt to that. YOU DONT HAVE GOOD ADAPTION!

Top Bottom