• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Detox

Letters said:
Mariana Cordoba

happy google image searching guys

(NSFW)
If he fell for that than he will be back before comic-con unless chief isn't the only person upgraded to dual wield in Halo 4.

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
I will be back after HaloFest.
lol'd a little too hard. Good thing my mic is charging otherwise everyone in my party would have heard it XD

OuterWorldVoice said:
Actually on the flag holding shenanigans, the fact of the matter is that it is definitely poor sportsmanship. Those doing it should at least admit that to themselves. The experience for the other team will ultimately reduce the population and variety of players available to everyone else. And objective games in theory, should be the MOST sportsmanlike.

I don't think any one of us is going to call what we did good sportsmanship. I mean hell, I enjoy quick victories more than that tedious spawn killing. There's nothing like embarrassing a team by winning the game in 2 minutes.

But even spawn killing is fun from time to time. Like juices said, we rarely do it. That was the first time I ever did anything like it. Yeah it was fun but we're not like one of those guys who do it all the time to pad stats.

IN SUMMARY FOR ALL THIS BULLSHIT

We did it for fun that game because it worked the last time they did it.

I posted it to show how ridiculous it is. That being said, now that you noticed acknowledged it does 343 acknowledge it as a problem? Tempest, Trueskill, and Party matching mainly. Credits too I guess.

Nutter

OuterWorldVoice said:
Actually on the flag holding shenanigans, the fact of the matter is that it is definitely poor sportsmanship. Those doing it should at least admit that to themselves. The experience for the other team will ultimately reduce the population and variety of players available to everyone else. And objective games in theory, should be the MOST sportsmanlike.
I totally agree.

Most of my objective games end around 6 minutes.

But time to time there is that spawn trap, with the chance of getting 40 kills without dying mini game :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nutter said:
I totally agree.

Most of my objective games end around 6 minutes.

But time to time there is that spawn trap, with the chance of getting 40 kills without dying mini game :p

There's a difference between taking advantage of an emergent situation or imbalance and actively seeking that out. It's like pretending to have a handicap so you can win the special Olympics. If I encounter an AFK player, I will ALWAYS kill him or her. What I would not do, is seek out a hopper full of AFK players.

It reminds me of people who use cheat mods in PC games with insta kill, aimbots etc. What exactly did they win? They may as well write fanfic about how great they are.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
We get credits, the credits force us to do things and oh my god I'm a behaviourist science experiment.

Reposting in new page:

If I did it, 343 will be able to do it. Pure logic...
What do you guys think? this could solve most problems with the sandbox on a future halo game, we could have infinite possibilities.
If MLG wants their br back they can have it.

Configurararmas.jpg

In my opinion this is a must for the next Halo.
I did this assuming there won't be bloom in Halo 4 and all weapons will have a fixed rate of fire.

DO IT FRANKIE! <3

senador

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
http://i.imgur.com/gFnFM.gif

You got it big guy. I can only speak for myself, but that is exactly how I feel about it. I'm not going to try to justify anything. But are we bad people? No, we were just messing around on the rare occasion. Hate us if you like, I'm sure it will make little difference to most of us.

Where's that HaloGAF civil war gif when you need it?

Heh, I don't hate any of you. I just didn't like that how it was trying to be passed off, that's all. Well, I don't like the act itself either, but would rather have the truth. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same, but after this discussion I would hope I don't.

@Nutter, you're still the vets, and HaloGAF is fine. I've only know about NeoGAF for 1.5 years, and been waiting to get in for 1. I joined for HaloGAF. I held you all to a high standard. A lot of good discussion goes on here. Lately there's been a lot of negativity here, and not just about the game, but the way HaloGAF treats each other, and the way discussions are laid out. I think you guys are getting so much guff because you are the veterans. People look up to you. ;)

Gabo´s Palace said:
What do you guys think? this could solve most problems with the sandbox on a future halo game, we could have infinite possibilities.

MLG wants their CE pistol back, but yeah this would be a great idea. That level of customization would be incredible.

Recarpo

Gabo´s Palace said:

Reposting in new page:

Would love that. I was hoping for something similar to that included in reach and am hoping there's more specific weapon customization in halo 4.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OuterWorldVoice said:
Okay, but how do you feel about just shooting for kills in Flag Slayer?

Also does this mean Tempest will be fixed and that the Forfeit option is coming in the TU?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
senador said:
Heh, I don't hate any of you. I just didn't like that how it was trying to be passed off, that's all. Well, I don't like the act itself either, but would rather have the truth. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same, but after this discussion I would hope I don't.

@Nutter, you're still the vets, and HaloGAF is fine. I've only know about NeoGAF for 1.5 years, and been waiting to get in for 1. I joined for HaloGAF. I held you all to a high standard. A lot of good discussion goes on here. Lately there's been a lot of negativity here, and not just about the game, but the way HaloGAF treats each other, and the way discussions are laid out. I think you guys are getting so much guff because you are the veterans. People look up to you. ;)
I don't mean to jump down your throat after being nice or anything, but this is honestly the kind of garbage that makes some GAF communities so sour. Pampering and elitism is fostered pretty heavily, and it's easier on GAF because of it's exclusivity. Don't treat HaloGAF members (or any other groups) like heroes, don't idolize them. Stand your ground and don't let the Junior tag prevent you from speaking up. If people dismiss you for being a Junior or just rag on your for no reason, that's their own deficiency in critical thinking.

Treating a veteran on a message board better is as useless and damaging to the institution as tenure at a university or seniority.

neoism

OuterWorldVoice said:
Certainly not, and yes, we will have different stuff in different playlists.

I will say this once for the record and once only. The TU is not designed to 'fix' or improve the game. The game as it stands is one of the best FPS games ever made. We are not arrogant or stupid enough to think it needs 'fixing.' The TU will add interesting and fun functionality that folks like you have requested. We will not harm or remove any of the core existing functionality of Reach because it is pretty damned amazing. We will however make it possible to play it differently in certain playlists. In ways big and small. And there will be sprinkles.
blackguyclapping.gif

Nutter

What might come as a surprise to many, even getting tons of kills in objective gets boring. And when that happens we switch up the playlist. Because we do not play objective to get kills. However if we do happen to get many kills in order to win, then you can not blame us. Also I only brought the whole veteran thing up, because someone else brought it up which would somehow show that their opinion mattered because they are a community veteran. Everyone's opinion matters, even the casuals and juniors.

Though I have stated what "I" would like to see in matchmaking that is all.

senador

Banned
^^^ Good man. To be fair on the veteran thing, one member was trying to defend another by stating that. He didn't say himself and would probably like others to stop holding it against him. heh.

Lyphen said:
I don't mean to jump down your throat after being nice or anything, but this is honestly the kind of garbage that makes some GAF communities so sour. Pampering and elitism is fostered pretty heavily, and it's easier on GAF because of it's exclusivity. Don't treat HaloGAF members (or any other groups) like heroes, don't idolize them. Stand your ground and don't let the Junior tag prevent you from speaking up. If people dismiss you for being a Junior or just rag on your for no reason, that's their own deficiency in critical thinking.

Treating a veteran on a message board better is as useless and damaging to the institution as tenure at a university or seniority.

If you read back through this thread and the end of the last OT, I haven't let anything hold me back from speaking my mind, I've been doing that plenty. I haven't had anyone be disrespectful directly to me.

I don't mean we should treat members like heroes. What I mean is I think the people who have been around the longest with the Halo community should be careful how they act. I think highly of the Halo community, its something special. All facets of it. I'd like to see the community as a whole become more respectful and welcoming. It doesn't matter what part of the game you like, its all Halo. Its a fun thing to be a part of, so let's not push others away.

If that makes sense.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
There's a difference between taking advantage of an emergent situation or imbalance and actively seeking that out. It's like pretending to have a handicap so you can win the special Olympics. If I encounter an AFK player, I will ALWAYS kill him or her. What I would not do, is seek out a hopper full of AFK players.

It reminds me of people who use cheat mods in PC games with insta kill, aimbots etc. What exactly did they win? They may as well write fanfic about how great they are.
This is tangentally related as it doesn't fit the game being discussed, but one contributing factor to this kind of thing in objective games is the way the Game Complete bonus and Commendations reward longer games. For those motivated by cR payouts and rank - and I think that describes a pretty big swath of the population - that motivates prolonging games rather than finishing them off.

Ideally, the game should reward the quick finish in objectives over the prolonged spawn trap. One suggestion I've seen floated often is to reverse the way the Game Complete bonus accrues. Rather than increase over the course of the game, it drops, down to a floor. Finishing a game rapidly earns a larger payout than a long game full of credit farming, but the long game should still be a good reward so as to not punish close games.

I'm not sure if that's even possible, and if so it could probably only be applied to objective-only playlists as cR payouts as it's set at the playlist level. But it would mitigate the frequency with which players find themselves being credit farmed.

I generally like the cR system, but this is one way in which it can influence player behavior for the worse.

Kujo

Yo it's simple, don't count kills at all in Objective. Just let only Slayer games count towards your overall K/D ratio

Don't count Grifball for kills either, going into that with a high latency will eat into your K/D like crazy

Striker

MrBig said:
As little as I do care about credits, they are exposing a problem. The more exposure it gets, and the more it gets exploited means that there will only be a greater chance of it being fixed.
Exposure to what?

It's been known since September that Objective gets the short end of the stick, both in commendations/credits and for competitive enjoyment. I've just learned to accept the credit system was never changing, and that this playlist would never suit my pure preferences.

Spawn killing a bunch of average players and "exposing" Trueskill and Tempest spawns is another. Again, Trueskill has been brought up multiple times for TO having awful matching - notably a team full of Heroes and Field Marshalls getting matched up with Warrant Officers all the time; and broken spawns have been in this series from the beginning. This is not new.

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:
This is tangentally related as it doesn't fit the game being discussed, but one contributing factor to this kind of thing in objective games is the way the Game Complete bonus and Commendations reward longer games. For those motivated by cR payouts and rank - and I think that describes a pretty big swath of the population - that motivates prolonging games rather than finishing them off.

Ideally, the game should reward the quick finish in objectives over the prolonged spawn trap. One suggestion I've seen floated often is to reverse the way the Game Complete bonus accrues. Rather than increase over the course of the game, it drops, down to a floor. Finishing a game rapidly earns a larger payout than a long game full of credit farming, but the long game should still be a good reward so as to not punish close games.

I'm not sure if that's even possible, and if so it could probably only be applied to objective-only playlists as cR payouts as it's set at the playlist level. But it would mitigate the frequency with which players find themselves being credit farmed.

I generally like the cR system, but this is one way in which it can influence player behavior for the worse.
That is exactly what I have said in the past about this.

However only issue I see is that people will boost heavily with this system. But then again what is the ban hammer for?

neoism said:

I understand that you don't want huge sweeping changes to Reach, I don't think I do either, or at least I know enough to not expect huge sweeping changes, but do you don't think that there are some things that could be done to improve the game?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It WOULD have been one of the best FPS made if Armor lock had been left on the cutting room floor.

Also, people do douchy shit all the time, especially in online games. Holding onto objectives/spawn trapping is going to happen in every game especially games with progressions systems.

If it pisses you off you may as well quit.

That said, to brag about doing it to a bunch of randoms is fucking retarded.

Tawpgun

Mojo said:
Yo it's simple, don't count kills at all in Objective. Just let only Slayer games count towards your overall K/D ratio

Don't count Grifball for kills either, going into that with a high latency will eat into your K/D like crazy
It was never about the k/d. Just wanted to get that out there. However I like your suggestion because most of the people who REGULARLY do this shit do it for the K/D. I'm looking at you Halocharts.

Alienshogun said:
That said, to brag about doing it to a bunch of randoms is fucking retarded.
It was never to brag either. Just to get that out of the way too.
One more thing. I'm going to post a game. It's not objective so it shouldn't matter.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=705805647&player=Tawpgun

I mean really? Can anyone from bungle/343 really say party matching and trueskill is working as intended? I know trueskill isn't exact but I expected better from it. I seem to remember Halo 3 was a lot better at it. And if there's any algorithm for making guests match up with guests it needs to be implemented because I know guests mess with trueskill.

Regardless, you can check my game history and I have a goddamn 40+ win streak going. Isn't there suppose to be a point where trueskill gives you more evenly matched games?

Havok

Alienshogun said:
It WOULD have been one of the best FPS made if Armor lock had been left on the cutting room floor.
Armor Lock was never the biggest problem with the game. If it hadn't been in 4v4 Slayer, the number of complaints would have been significantly lower. It was never an issue in Objective, but its replacement Evade sure is.

(this is me actively avoiding discussion about Version 2.0 of the Halo 3 Thread Victory Lap Civil War)

Striker

In Social BTB, that stuff happened all the time, notably on Valhalla. You could spawn trap a bunch of Lt. Colonels and Sergeants that Trueskill matched up with you and get 40+ kills with ease in the Warthog.

This is not new for Reach or the Halo series.

senador

Banned
@Tawpgun Trueskill seems much much looser in Reach. It bothers me too. I go in alone quite a bit and many times I am on the opposite side in that match you posted. I hold my own and go positive, but it still sucks to lose based on bad teammates and abundance of guests. I'm not sure what the answer is. Are the numbers low enough to not be able to match in a reasonable time to more level players or something? I don't buy that because even when some playlists have huge numbers do to jackpots, it still happens. Maybe its just loose to create fast matches.

I wonder if its just flawed in how it works. I read once how it worked for Reach and that it takes your team's trueskill number, and matches it up with an equal number or as close as possible for the other team. Maybe it needs to go off individual level or something, and match teams up 1 for 1. I know for playlists like TO that's just not possible based on its numbers.

Surely guest parties could at least be matched against other guest parties?

I don't know what it is, but I wish it was better.

Alienshogun said:
It's always been MY biggest problem with the game. Nothing else really bothers me that much, not even bloom.

Hey it bugs me too. I just play Squad and Arena for the most part now. TS got bad because of overload of Forge maps anyhow.

I've been playing the Premium lists lately, AL doesn't seem to bad in there either.

neoism

Steelyuhas said:
I understand that you don't want huge sweeping changes to Reach, I don't think I do either, or at least I know enough to not expect huge sweeping changes, but do you don't think that there are some things that could be done to improve the game?
yes but I can live with the way it is, I like it because its different not jut like 2 or 3... I'm just really happy he said they would be play-list based.

Kuroyume

Banned
One of the best FPS ever is crazy opinion.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Eazy B parks hog in back. Gets on turret. We had 1 or 2 people near their turret at the front of their base. Everyone else was around and in their base. I was ON TOP of their flag. They would literally spawn in the same 2 spots. And got mowed down every time.

There you go. VEHICLES. Notice how vehicles are always a component of these spawn trap games. From Halo 3 on to Reach. And yet you have people complaining for better vehicles in the next game.

senador

Banned
neoism said:
yes but I can live with the way it is, I like it because its different not jut like 2 or 3... I'm just really happy he said they would be play-list based.

I don't think he means anything drastic. Think grenade fuse increase, improved strafing, better spawns, melee system change. Surely there are minor things you'd like improved? I am with you in liking Reach, but I'd like to see small improvements. I think we'll see them, I don't think Frankie was saying everything will be left as is.

feel

Gabo´s Palace said:

Reposting in new page:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn170/gabotron18/Configurararmas.jpg[IMG]

In my opinion this is a must for the next Halo.
I did this assuming there won't be bloom in Halo 4 and all weapons will have a fixed rate of fire.

[/QUOTE]
I like it. The more options the better. It would have settings for all kinds of stuff like fire mode (burst, single shot, etc), recoil, bullet speed, reticule bloom, etc and sub-menus for each where one could tweak their behaviors and characteristics extensively. Same in other aspects of the sandbox like movement, where inertia, animation speed, etc would be configurable.

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
There you go. VEHICLES. Notice how vehicles are always a component of these spawn trap games. From Halo 3 on to Reach. And yet you have people complaining for better vehicles in the next game.

Wrong. They aren't necessary. The other game we played we didn't have any vehicles and locked them down.

They are an integral part of the bigger team aspects of Halo. Wouldn't be Halo without them.

senador

Banned
MrBig said:
H2 vehicle balance was great. Wasn't easy to dominate with them and they didn't last forever

I don't know if this was just because it was a custom game, but yesterday I went into Halo 2 and walked around a few maps. I threw a frag at the bottom of a Hog and it completely destroyed it. Flames and everything, it was completely dead. That seems weak. I don't remember a lot from 2 over Live though, seems long ago.

Plywood said:
Vehicles were easier to destroy when a person wasn't driving them, player health would get tied to vehicle health when driving.

Understood, thanks that make sense. I didn't play a ton of Halo 2, and it really does seem like forever ago. Walking around those maps though...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
senador said:
I don't know if this was just because it was a custom game, but yesterday I went into Halo 2 and walked around a few maps. I threw a frag at the bottom of a Hog and it completely destroyed it. Flames and everything, it was completely dead. That seems weak. I don't remember a lot from 2 over Live though, seems long ago.
Vehicles were easier to destroy when a person wasn't driving them, player health would get tied to vehicle health when driving.

What I loved about Halo CE's vehicles were that because they were invincible, there was always a tug of war going on with them. If you finally took down a Warthog team, you would get to use them yourself, instead of being left with scrap and waiting for respawns. I loved the dynamic that would bring to battles. Things have never been quite the same since that change.

ElRenoRaven

Rickenslacker said:
What I loved about Halo CE's vehicles were that because they were invincible, there was always a tug of war going on with them. If you finally took down a Warthog team, you would get to use them yourself, instead of being left with scrap and waiting for respawns. I loved the dynamic that would bring to battles. Things have never been quite the same since that change.

Oh a Halo fan after my own heart. That's the biggest change to vehicles that I hated. They added invincible vehicles back in Reach but after testing with a friend I found that the driver can't be hurt if you use that setting. Made me a sad Spartan.

neoism said:
senador said:
I don't think he means anything drastic. Think grenade fuse increase, improved strafing, better spawns, melee system change. Surely there are minor things you'd like improved? I am with you in liking Reach, but I'd like to see small improvements. I think we'll see them, I don't think Frankie was saying everything will be left as is.

Yeah this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Grenade tweaks, melee tweaks, maybe some weapon balance tweaks like brining the pistol back to form a bit, change the magnetism a bit (or whatever it is) so that players can't shoot right through bloom.

These are the kind of changes that I am talking about. They are not drastic, Reach will still be Reach, but I think they would certainly improve Reach.

MrBig said:
H2 vehicle balance was great. Wasn't easy to dominate with them and they didn't last forever
I think think that H2 vehicle balance was the best in the series.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Hell the H3 melee system changed. Why won't the reach one? Would fix sprint rushing.

Even if they made three melee's to kill the default (I know that doesn't require a TU), it would be a big improvement.

Top Bottom