• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Also are OXM idiots and did they say that CE was dated compared to Reach because "squeezing the Left trigger won't zoom weapons, nor can you sprint by clicking in a thumbstick".

Gcgo5.jpg

feel

Rickenslacker said:
Also are OXM idiots and did they say that CE was dated compared to Reach because "squeezing the Left trigger won't zoom weapons, nor can you sprint by clicking in a thumbstick".
I raged too. Ability to board vehicles is the only thing that springs to mind as something important that the gameplay of CE lacks compared to the sequels.

Frankie save us.

Kibbles

Good god, it looks fantastic. And Chief's helmet is looking good.

Rickenslacker said:

http://i.imgur.com/Gcgo5.jpg[/.img][/QUOTE]
I can't believe they actually wrote that. SMH so hard.

Striker

Rickenslacker said:
:lol smh

Halo 4 better not have sprint. Give us a fast base speed again, Frank.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
I raged too. Inability to board vehicles is the only thing that springs to mind as something important that the gameplay of CE lacks compared to the sequels.

Frankie save us.

I agree. That is honestly the only thing I would ever want added to Halo: Combat Evolved. Well maybe a very small number of retconned covies but even that I could live without.

Letters said:
I raged too. Ability to board vehicles is the only thing that springs to mind as something important that the gameplay of CE lacks compared to the sequels.
True. That's one gameplay change that I think I have no qualms with, unlike equipment, AAs and dual-wielding. Vehicle boarding was great all around, but I think it would be made even better with CE's more dangerous vehicles. 8D

Kibbles

"As with everything else in the game, 343 isn't making changes on the grounds of taste, so your sidearm will be just as potent as it always was. It wouldn't be Blood Gulch without crack shots and people loudly complaining about them." Ummm

MrBig

Kibbles said:
"As with everything else in the game, 343 isn't making changes on the grounds of taste, so your sidearm will be just as potent as it always was. It wouldn't be Blood Gulch without crack shots and people loudly complaining about them." Ummm
please tell me this is just OXM being stupid

If they are giving us another blood gulch I'm going to be sorely upset about a wasted map slot that that could go to a BTB map that was actually good

It may be a Halo staple, but it's design is so terrible and outdated, Hemo is all you need to show that it doesn't work in the current sandbox. All they have to do is include Forge World in the disc anyway. Gives people that only have CEA a good forge pallet and gives them BG to shut up the people who actually enjoy playing on BG with the Reach sandbox for some reason.

senador

Banned
Hemorrhage 2 confirmed.

Why are Halo articles always off about something?

I'm going to assume its OXM being dumb. I can't see another Blood Gulch remake. I do assume that for those playing the Classic++
why is it ++?
with the Reach disc Hemo could come up. Maybe?

Striker said:
:lol smh

Halo 4 better not have sprint. Give us a fast base speed again, Frank.
I like sprint, but it doesn't mix quite well with the existing halo sandbox (sword, hammer, double-melee, shotgun and so on). You really need to take out of the game all the cqc weapons and make melee 3 hits to kill (with no lunge) to render sprint balanced... not a good tradeoff imho.
In the end, I think we'll have both fast base speed and sprint in halo4. Or at least this is what I get by observing 343's behaviour up until now (annversary's maps having forge obj. to accomodate both classic and retail settings in particular).
One thing I've always loved about halo was its consistency throughout the game, but I guess differentiating even between playlists is the way to go to make everyone happy :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kibbles said:
SMH.

Oh, and Senador, for some reason my Bungie iOS app was saying that the weekly challenge ended last night, but now it corrected itself and is showing tonight. Yayerz. Extra credits for me, even if meager.

Striker

i nerini del buio said:
I like sprint, but it doesn't mix quite well with the existing halo sandbox (sword, hammer, double-melee, shotgun and so on). You really need to take out of the game all the cqc weapons and make melee 3 hits to kill (with no lunge) to render sprint balanced... not a good tradeoff imho.
In the end, I think we'll have both fast base speed and sprint in halo4. Or at least this is what I get by observing 343's behaviour up until now (annversary's maps having forge obj. to accomodate both classic and retail settings in particular).
One thing I've always loved about halo was its consistency throughout the game, but I guess differentiating even between playlist is the way to go to make everyone happy :)
You don't need a sprint ability if your base speed is fast and agile. That's what made Halo 1/2 so great. I would love for them to go back to Halo 2's style of dictating melee. It was based of momentum, if you were jumping, falling, etc. That alone would make the melee system heads above anything else we've had recently in Halo games.

Havok

MrBig said:
Of course it is. I could probably count on one hand the number of articles the games journalists have written on Halo without some ridiculous error. Halo 3 previews were rife with moronic map comparisons.

MrBig said:

If they are giving us another blood gulch I'm going to be sorely upset about a wasted map slot that that could go to a BTB map that was actually good
It is just OXM being stupid.

343 has stated many, many times that Blood Gulch is not being remade because we already have Hemorrhage in Reach.

I'm sure OXM heard 343 talking about the pistol being just as potent as it was in the campaign and misquoted it with a multiplayer map name.

Striker

Havok said:
Of course it is. I could probably count on one hand the number of articles the games journalists have written on Halo without some ridiculous error. Halo 3 previews were rife with moronic map comparisons.
I think I told you about my Gamepro magazine, where they were describing the resemblence of Epitaph to Colossus. :lol

:(

feel

i nerini del buio said:
They won't be pleasing 2 groups of fans separately in Halo 4. They're doing that in Reach because they can't just take the game a year into its lifecycle and bring it back to the classic style while just screwing over the people who have been loving it the way it is for the past year.

Striker said:
You don't need a sprint ability if your base speed is fast and agile. That's what made Halo 1/2 so great. I would love for them to go back to Halo 2's style of dictating melee. It was based of momentum, if you were jumping, falling, etc. That alone would make the melee system heads above anything else we've had recently in Halo games.
Do not agree :p Fast base speed/classic halo is a much more elegant experience and I prefer it overall, but I also think that sprint is just fun. I'm going through halo:ce, halo2, halo3 and odst again lately and I really miss sprint. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose classic halo without even thinking about it, mind you, but I like sprint too. As I said, giving us both is probably the best thing 343 can do. Just give us the tools (per single weapon damage modifiers! with 10% steps! 100%, 110%, 125% and 150% is dumb.) and we'll make awesome gametypes and matchmaking an overall better experience.
I also think that many of you guys don't like sprint not because of it works but because of a mixture of poor game design decisions like melee no bleed through, huge lunge, longer killtimes, etc. Sprint by itself is a good thing.

Letters said:
They won't be pleasing 2 groups of fans separately in Halo 4. They're doing that in Reach because they can't just take the game a year into its lifecycle and bring it back to the classic style while just screwing over the people who have been loving it the way it is for the past year.
I guess we just have to wait and see...
343's motto (is it an english word too? do you know its meaning?) is, "we care about our community and we listen", thus I deeply believe they'll try to please everyone

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
I agree. That is honestly the only thing I would ever want added to Halo: Combat Evolved. Well maybe a very small number of retconned covies but even that I could live without.
Aye, vehicle boarding would be lovely. Particularly the ability to use the Wraith.

The other biggie for me is the EMP effect added to the Plasma Pistol overcharge. I love downing enemy vehicles that way.

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
Edit: lol^^^

Oh hey.. what did you guys think of the Turf remake yesterday?
Framerate wasn't good. Could have been built with the top area on grass to make it into a sort of a park, because there is way too much gray.

senador said:
I'm trying man. :( Hopefully others feel like you. I assume no one cares too bad. When I said I needed to go to bed Barrow just let out several long "Noooooooos". Still, it makes me feel lame. I'll just keep doing my best and improve. Last night was fun. Some pretty....interesting talk going on. Lawlz
Hehe, don't feel lame. Trying to improve is well and good, but for me, having fun is the top-most priority. I had so much fun when we played that I changed my emblem to match yours! Hot coffee FTW.

lybertyboy said:
Hypothetically speaking, all the Halo Fest panels are being filmed. :)
Are the panels being streamed, too?

Striker

Sprint with bleed through would make things way worse. The melee lunge in Reach is the smallest its been through the series. Garbage evade makes it less prevalent. But the lunge in Reach is more consistent than the previous two games. I'm hoping for a different take in melee damage and how it's deal per hit/style.

ElRenoRaven

Hitmonchan107 said:
Hehe, don't feel lame. Trying to improve is well and good, but for me, having fun is the top-most priority. I had so much fun when we played that I changed my emblem to match yours! Hot coffee FTW.

Are the panels being streamed, too?

Good question. There is a huge difference between recorded and streamed. One you can see right away. The other you have an ungodly wait to see. I'd hope IGN could stream them at least since they're the "offical media partner".

Striker said:
Sprint with bleed through would make things way worse. The melee lunge in Reach is the smallest its been through the series. Garbage evade makes it less prevalent. But the lunge in Reach is more consistent than the previous two games. I'm hoping for a different take in melee damage and how it's deal per hit/style.

Melee damage should either go back to H1 or be a stun only function. I've never liked the upping of the damage of melee, lunge nor bxr/bxb. If I wanted to play a game in which whomever spams a button combo first to melee their opponent wins, I'd load up a god damn fighter.

Striker said:
Sprint with bleed through would make things way worse.
How? O.O as of now, you have to put FIVE bullets on someone sprinting towards you. Basically the best you can do in that situation is going for the double beatdown yourself.
With bleed-through, you'd have to put like three bullets and then go for the melee, rendering sprinting+double melee almost useles, imho.

Devolution said:
wouldn't button combos make cqc encounters more entertaining just like gears' active reloads make reloading much more interesting/rewarding?

Striker

i nerini del buio said:
How? O.O as of now, you have to put FIVE bullets on someone sprinting towards you. Basically the best you can do in that situation is going for the double beatdown yourself.
With bleed-through, you'd have to put like three bullets and then go for the melee, rendering sprinting+double melee almost useles, imho.
I've played enough of AR rush and melee, not to mention Bungie's love for simultaneous beatdowns in that same scenario. Fair, you know.

Homeboyd

Are you guys seeing pics from CEA from the new OXM mag issue? (Just trying to catch up... also not asking for scans)

Just saw everyone posting about it... assuming everyone picked one up.

GhaleonEB

Gabotron ES said:
*raises hand*
Halo 1 does some things much more compellingly than the rest of the series (notably mood and suspense), but I think many aspects of the gameplay are horribly dated (the physics in particular). But there's an elegance and power to the combat that remains incredibly compelling at its core. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

GhaleonEB said:
but I think many aspects of the gameplay are horribly dated (the physics in particular).
Aww man, I LOVE CE physics! Particularly vehicle physics.

CE was also before the days of ragdoll, so you'd have that weird melting effect with corpses that was pretty neat at the time, but also better than the ragdoll that came after it in sheer effect. One thing I LOVED about CE was its persistence. Bullet decals would stay, bodies would warp to where they land and stay there, blood decals would stay, explosion scarring would stay. Something about the warping bodies as opposed to ragdolls at least is that the ragdolls in Halo were always pretty stiff, so they never particularly held to the environment very well.

That's something weird about me I guess, but I appreciate it a lot. It's one way for replays to feel very different for me, the way I "paint" the environment with how the battles turn out. Something that a lot of games lack for the sake of performance or whatever else, but end up feeling sterile in the end. Max Payne 1/2 and Halo CE nailed this perfectly.

i nerini del buio said:
wouldn't button combos make cqc encounters more entertaining just like gears' active reloads make reloading much more interesting/rewarding?

This stuff only really works in lag free situations. Otherwise it's a joke.

GhaleonEB said:
Halo 1 does some things much more compellingly than the rest of the series (notably mood and suspense), but I think many aspects of the gameplay are horribly dated (the physics in particular). But there's an elegance and power to the combat that remains incredibly compelling at its core. I look forward to your thoughts on it.
I'm really exited to play the campaign, you guys just keep saying it is the best campaign.
I'll write my review after my first heroic walkthrough.

GhaleonEB

Rickenslacker said:
Aww man, I LOVE CE physics! Particularly vehicle physics.

I wasn't talking about the Warthog handling, which is fine. I don't like how binary vehicle interactions are, the way one splatters you instantly if it touches you moving 2 mph. And in particular, how physics are only applied to guns, enemies and vehicles; the rest of the game world is static. Nothing to blow up, no vehicle bits left on the battlefield, those purple space crates might as well be trees, etc. Physics are in very limited application. Many aspects of Halo haven't dated (the gunplay is as great as ever), but I find the limited, quirky physics to be a standout example of the game not aging well.

(The encounter triggers as well.)

GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't talking about the Warthog handling, which is fine. I don't like how binary vehicle interactions are, the way one splatters you instantly if it touches you moving 2 mph. And in particular, how physics are only applied to guns, enemies and vehicles; the rest of the game world is static. Nothing to blow up, no vehicle bits left on the battlefield, those purple space crates might as well be trees, etc. Physics are in very limited application. Many aspects of Halo haven't dated (the gunplay is as great as ever), but I find the limited, quirky physics to be a standout example of the game not aging well.
Yeah, I also meant the vehicle interactions and how they reacted to force. CE was great to me because everything fucked you up. Sure, the vehicles tapping you killed you, but a well tossed grenade would fuck them up as well. I never liked it when hitting someone would just propel them and hurt them slightly, or when a Warthog would brush off a grenade as though something just tapped it. I liked how definitive combat scenarios were in CE.

But you're right, there are more little things present in environments now. Grunts have exploding methane packs, gas canisters scattered around, Covenant weapon racks to be knocked down and all that. I guess it just doesn't register to me as strongly.

Top Bottom