• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

wwm0nkey

Just looked at the scans....dem graphics!

seriously I know new games are supposed to look better than the last one but that looks miles better than Reach does!

Also that picture of the crashed POA....my god.

I know it's completely outdated now, but some of my best memories came from Halo PC (which was my first Halo game; I didn't have an Xbox at the time). Man, little to no lag and the (fun, not gamebreaking) mods, not to mention the constant parties people had just to get out of maps and silly things like that were always really fun. Halo 2 was a natural second step, but then Halo 3 only felt about equal in comparison. Reach is no different.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Zee-V70 said:
I know it's completely outdated now, but some of my best memories came from Halo PC (which was my first Halo game; I didn't have an Xbox at the time). Man, little to no lag and the (fun, not gamebreaking) mods, not to mention the constant parties people had just to get out of maps and silly things like that were always really fun. Halo 2 was a natural second step, but then Halo 3 only felt about equal in comparison. Reach is no different.

I remember spending hours in a huge party shooting at a door on Headlong for a non-existent golden warthog to appear.

Zee-V70 said:

Halo 3 and Reach both suffer from the set back that is weak maps. I miss LANing on h1 and h2. Fun times.

Letters said:
you get a big challenge but you destroy the pacing and roleplaying, unless he doesn't care about enjoying the campaign, I would not recomend doing legendary in the first playthrough at all
Heroic is only easy if the player knows the environments/encounters like the back of his hand
Yup, heroic is good for a first playthrough.
Also I see a lot of guys complaining about The Library, what's wrong with the level?
Is it worst than Cortana?

Homeboyd

Gabotron ES said:
Also I see a lot of guys complaining about The Library, what's wrong with the level?
It's...

repetitive...

Gui_PT

Gabotron ES said:

It's not a bad level. It's just repetitive.

Gabotron ES said:
No, Cortana is probably the worst Halo level of all time. Library is just boring.

Okay, imagine this. You're going through circular gray corridors fighting off Flood.

Then do it again. Then again. Then again. One more time. Actually, let's repeat it a few more times.

That's The Library. The same thing dull thing repeated over and over, it's the worst case of copy paste Halo level design.

Gabotron ES said:

Nothing on this Earth is worse than Cortana. It's just a very very repetitive level. I never really had an issue with it personally because the Flood (spoilers lol!) are fun to fight in Halo CE.

feel

Gabotron ES said:
The flood combat was great in the Library. Waves and waves of (fun to fight) flood coming for you and your (fun to shoot) shotgun. Most people hated that the environment was too repetitive, but the same people's top of the lungs cries are responsible for making most levels in the sequels feel like they lasted 13minutes and you killed 10 or 15 enemies total sprinkled in breaks from admiring the seriously nonrepetitive environments. I hope they only make it look less repetitive while not changing the general geometry itself, I know I'm not the only Library fan.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
The flood combat was great in the Library. Waves and waves of (fun to fight) flood coming for you and your (fun to shoot) shotgun. Most people hated that the environment was too repetitive, but the same people's top of the lungs cries are responsible for making most levels in the sequels feel like they lasted 13minutes and you killed 10 or 15 enemies total sprinkled in breaks from admiring the seriously nonrepetitive environments. I hope they only make it look less repetitive while not changing the general geometry itself, I know I'm not the only Library fan.

Nope. I love it. Hell I even love the Cortana level except the ranged flood form encounter that happens when you don't have any long range weapons worth a damn. The library was a very nice change of pace from the rest of the game. First off it was disorientating and foreign. That was the point of it. It was a WTF am I doing moment. Then you had all these monsters coming at you nonstop and in such huge numbers. It was a nice change of pace. The end too was just awesome. That last rush to get the icon was just nuts. I really can't wait to see the level redone with the new graphics.

Also don't worry. They said it's the same library we loved. They just made it a bit easier to keep orientated thanks to new lighting and of course graphics changes.

The one thing I hated about the flood in Halo CE were those dudes who had the rocket launcher. They would blow themselves up right in your face. I always felt cheated when they killed me.

ElRenoRaven

Tha Robbertster said:
The one thing I hated about the flood in Halo CE were those dudes who had the rocket launcher. They would blow themselves up right in your face. I always felt cheated when they killed me.

HAHAHA. God I don't know how many times they'd hop down and nail me. They had some damn good aim. Course it's not hard when they jump down right in your face. lol

FyreWulff

Anyone need 7 on the 7th for Halo 3?

Yeah, I know you can unlock it at any time during the month now, but it's still a good excuse to throw in Halo 3.

Tha Robbertster said:
:lol oh god, I remember my first time running through Two Betrayals on Legendary where you had to go through the Rolling Thunder portion backwards in a Banshee. I must have died like 20 times to a rocket combat form.

senador

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
I howl when people leave because everyone's lame and no one plays at 3am with me. Something about sleep or lame-ass east coast excuses. But you worry too much. You're cool, I think that's all most of us really care about.

And what we talk about while playing Halo stays in Halo. >.>

Noted on all. ;)

Tunavi said:
WOOOOO! Road trip/GBA LAN party in a car. i'll be online in a few days, dont fight too much while im gone

Good riddance! Take the little you from your cup too!

<3

komickid

Neo Member
Hey HaloGaf I'd like to introduce myself!

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf? I got approved end of June but missed the email and just realized that I can post.

What country are you posting from and what's your current age. US and 17

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game. Probably like 12 or 13 at a friend's house playing Halo 2.

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF? Since Reach came out.

What's your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you're not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
Well I haven't played Halo 2's campaign or played its multiplayer on Live so I would say Halo 3's campaign and multiplayer.

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist. Hah ummm 30 in Team Slayer

AR or BR? BR

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each). From what I've played of CE and 2: Blood Gulch, Headlong For 3: The Pit.

Least hated Reach mp map. Countdown with MLG weapon placement. Powerhouse with default weapon placement.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era) pre-Reach: BTB Reach: I enjoy MLG when I'm not matched against a team of 4.

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight? Multiplayer

Games completed on solo Legendary. Halo 3, Reach

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain? Nope

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions. Silent Cartographer, The Storm, The Ark, and The Covenant.

Favorite Reach playlists. Arena, MLG, Action Sack

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes). 0

Opinion on reticule bloom. Am fine with it for Campaign and Firefight but I by far prefer the steady pace of the BR for Multiplayer.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking. Fun initially but then they just got tiring. Now I pretty much exclusively use sprint.

Why are you a Halo fan? I love the entire atmosphere of Halo from the music to the colors to the unique enemies and sense of exploration.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, some of us would enjoy reading it.

Well count me in as someone who hasn't played the CE campaign outside of the free PC demo. Among you guys I'm probably regarded as mediocre player but still have fun and that's what matters to me.

FyreWulff said:
Anyone need 7 on the 7th for Halo 3?

Yeah, I know you can unlock it at any time during the month now, but it's still a good excuse to throw in Halo 3.

Hey, im up for it, send me a inv if you see me on.

Gabotron ES said:

Its maybe just as bad, if not a little worse. It lasts forever and its really damn repetative. At least with cortana the scenery changes slightly so you know you have made progress. I really hope they do something about the visuals at the very least even if they are going to leave the god aweful gameplay intact.

GhaleonEB said:
Reach is generous today. Three games have paid out over 10,000 cR: one Firefight Doubles in which I got the two daily Challenges, another that hit a 3,000 cR jackpot, and just now a game of Invasion Breakpoint in Premium Battle that hit the 6,000 cR jackpot. I've seen the bar move today, it's weird.

A friend noticed that aswell. I also got a couple of 3k jackpots.

GhaleonEB

Reach is generous today. Three games have paid out over 10,000 cR: one Firefight Doubles in which I got the two daily Challenges, another that hit a 3,000 cR jackpot, and just now a game of Invasion Breakpoint in Premium Battle that hit the 6,000 cR jackpot. I've seen the bar move today, it's weird.

Oozer3993

Tunavi said:
WOOOOO! Road trip/GBA LAN party in a car. i'll be online in a few days, dont fight too much while im gone

Please tell me that Zelda Four Sword will be part of this LAN party. It's so damn fun.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm late but whatever:

Me:

ilPmTu.jpg

For reference, me a year ago:

ilT97I.jpg

And haters can hate on the shower curtains.

feel

PsychoRaven said:
Nope. I love it. Hell I even love the Cortana level except the ranged flood form encounter that happens when you don't have any long range weapons worth a damn. The library was a very nice change of pace from the rest of the game. First off it was disorientating and foreign. That was the point of it. It was a WTF am I doing moment. Then you had all these monsters coming at you nonstop and in such huge numbers. It was a nice change of pace. The end too was just awesome. That last rush to get the icon was just nuts. I really can't wait to see the level redone with the new graphics.

Also don't worry. They said it's the same library we loved. They just made it a bit easier to keep orientated thanks to new lighting and of course graphics changes.
Holy shit! Thank you for also feeling this way, I also really enjoyed "Cortana", and it would be one of my favorite Halo levels ever if it just had the basic flood enemies from Halo CE, those huge mutating flood who morph into sniper turrets killed it for me, not the ugly and cramped scenario. I loved the fact that Master Chief didn't even blink at the thought of having to go into one of most crazy dangerous and disgusting scenarios imaginable just to get Cortana back, and I loved being in control when he did it. Getting to the peaceful room where she was and seeing her beautiful hue of blue and listening her beautiful live voice after enduring purple & diarrhea brown and chaos for so long, felt really special to me. This was lost on most people playing it.

senador

Banned
I too enjoyed both the Library and Cortana levels. I've never understood the hate they get. Good times. Meh.

Plywood, you kind of look like what I thought you might. Bam.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
senador said:
I too enjoyed both the Library and Cortana levels. I've never understood the hate they get. Good times. Meh.

Plywood, you kind of look like what I thought you might. Bam.
The Library is one of the funnest co-op experiences I've ever had.

As for what I looked like, is that a good thing? Btw, I forgot to add you, fun games last night.

Ken

Homeboyd said:
What the hell is that? (from the vidoc)

http://i.imgur.com/UvWp5.jpg[/i.mg][/QUOTE]

Without watching the video and knowing the context of the rest of the image, the shape reminds me of the Orbital Defense Platforms.

[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110316192928/halo/images/thumb/8/84/H2-Cairo_Station_1600.jpg/557px-H2-Cairo_Station_1600.jpg

senador

Banned
Plywood said:
The Library is one of the funnest co-op experiences I've ever had.

As for what I looked like, is that a good thing? Btw, I forgot to add you, fun games last night.

Oh oh, you look kinda similar to an avatar you had when I first started lurking. Some anime dude or something. How do I answer that without sound weird? Heh, its a good thing, you look normal. Dat hair.

Sent you an FR just now.

J10

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
I really hope Halo 4 can spoil us with good maps like Halo 2 did.

I think the key to good maps is more symmetry and deconvolution; less is more. Reach's biggest problem is that the map designers were really good at making the maps interesting but didn't bother to taylor them to competitive gameplay, so the flow of a lot of the maps is just plain old lopsided with a lot of wasted space.

blamite

Pillar of Autumn looks so pretty! :D

Definitely looks like the most updated level, along with the crazy looking new towers on Halo. Can. Not. Wait.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Holy shit! Thank you for also feeling this way, I also really enjoyed "Cortana", and it would be one of my favorite Halo levels ever if it just had the basic flood enemies from Halo CE, those huge mutating flood who morph into sniper turrets killed it for me, not the ugly and cramped scenario. I loved the fact that Master Chief didn't even blink at the thought of having to go into one of most crazy dangerous and disgusting scenarios imaginable just to get Cortana back, and I loved being in control when he did it. Getting to the peaceful room where she was and seeing her beautiful hue of blue and listening her beautiful live voice after enduring purple & diarrhea brown and chaos for so long, felt really special to me. This was lost on most people playing it.

Yea. The moment you enter the room it's odd because you're like ok what monstrosity is going to attack me now. Then you see that there she is. It really reinvigorated me. I was like hell yea. All is right in the universe again. I have Cortana and now I'm going to fuck the flood up. You go out of there and then you just start tearing into them like yea take that you sons of bitches. Then when you get to the end and she's like you two made nice. It's like yea yea we did. Halo 3 really was well done and I think gets a lot of hate when it don't deserve it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
senador said:
Oh oh, you look kinda similar to an avatar you had when I first started lurking. Some anime dude or something. How do I answer that without sound weird? Heh, its a good thing, you look normal. Dat hair.

Sent you an FR just now.
I chuckled. This guy:
hKJyq.jpg

Accepted it, I'll be on later tonight.
Devolution said:
You're handsome brah.

Deal with it.
The only time I'll ever post a pony:

tiExM.gif

Merguson

Banned
Ken said:
Without watching the video and knowing the context of the rest of the image, the shape reminds me of the Orbital Defense Platforms.

557px-H2-Cairo_Station_1600.jpg

I liked how the Orbital Defense Platforms were designed in Halo: Reach...

oh wait.. there were none..

J10 said:
I think the key to good maps is more symmetry and deconvolution; less is more. Reach's biggest problem is that the map designers were really good at making the maps interesting but didn't bother to taylor them to competitive gameplay, so the flow of a lot of the maps is just plain old lopsided with a lot of wasted space.

yep
basically condemned has the same problem. it's big, with many rooms and corridors but none of them is really interesting.
halo is an arena shooter (or at least it used to be...), it needs maps like midship, beaver creek... hell, even countdown and zealot (without the low-g part) are good. more small symmetrical maps, 343 :D

Zeouterlimits said:
I know, bk scrub or whatever, but I'm really not a fan of Zealout. Perhaps enjoyable without AAs (& nuke grenades).
my bad, I was mainly talking of mlg zealot (sniper top gold, thumper holo room)
retail zealot with sword in the holo room and the kill volume is dumb.
I like mlg zealot for it being very frantic and fast paced

I know, bk scrub or whatever, but I'm really not a fan of Zealout. Perhaps enjoyable without AAs (& nuke grenades).
Letters said:
Marry me.

Still annoyed how she just got up and seemingly brushed off the torture that she was going through. *sigh Halo 3 narrative sigh*

Merguson said:
I liked how the Orbital Defense Platforms were designed in Halo: Reach...

oh wait.. there were none..
"Oh... uh... they were off-screen." *cough*
Actually they do take out that cruiser at the end of O.N.I., don't they?

Top Bottom