• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Homeboyd said:
What the hell is that? (from the vidoc)

http://i.imgur.com/UvWp5.jpg

Nothing but space dust:

milky.png

Still working on my writeup, hoping to have it done within the next hour.

Ken

Zeouterlimits said:
Actually they do take out that cruiser at the end of O.N.I., don't they?

Oh, Sword Base.

They seem to only refer to the MAC round originator as "orbital defense" so it could it either be a platform or a ship's MAC cannon.

darthbob

Zeouterlimits said:
More likely "stuff is canon in so much as it suits us".

Leaves a fucking horrible taste in my mouth.

I like to look at Halo canon the same way Star Wars is with its canon.

Movies > Everything

Movies in this context is the same as with the Halo games.

ElRenoRaven

Zeouterlimits said:
I know, bk scrub or whatever, but I'm really not a fan of Zealout. Perhaps enjoyable without AAs (& nuke grenades).

Marry me.

Still annoyed how she just got up and seemingly brushed off the torture that she was going through. *sigh Halo 3 narrative sigh*

"Oh... uh... they were off-screen." *cough*
Actually they do take out that cruiser at the end of O.N.I., don't they?

I doubt that thread is done with. I have a feeling that will come back into play in future games. How can 343 not explore what damage the Gravemind actually did to her?

Also Bungie always said point blank that when it came to cannon the games take priority. Honestly I feel the changes made with Reach weren't that bad. Maybe It's just how I am. I never have had that big a problem with the changes Lucas made to Star Wars. I've always looked at these universes as theirs to change and retcon etc. At the same time if I don't like said retcons I can choose to not buy their work.

That's always been my opinion on retcons anyway.

blamite

Odds that terminals on The Pillar of Autumn and The Maw will explain some inconsistencies from Reach?

Probably zero lol

komickid

Neo Member
Letters said:
Holy shit! Thank you for also feeling this way, I also really enjoyed "Cortana", and it would be one of my favorite Halo levels ever if it just had the basic flood enemies from Halo CE, those huge mutating flood who morph into sniper turrets killed it for me, not the ugly and cramped scenario. I loved the fact that Master Chief didn't even blink at the thought of having to go into one of most crazy dangerous and disgusting scenarios imaginable just to get Cortana back, and I loved being in control when he did it. Getting to the peaceful room where she was and seeing her beautiful hue of blue and listening her beautiful live voice after enduring purple & diarrhea brown and chaos for so long, felt really special to me. This was lost on most people playing it.

I am definitely in the group that thinks Cortana is the worst Halo level ever, however, the cutscene and especially the music in the cutscene when Chief saves Cortana is one of my favorites and gives me chills whenever I watch/listen to it.

darthbob said:

Movies > Everything

I don't. For me the non-game content can only enrich the universe if the universe obeys it.

Letters said:
The flood combat was great in the Library. Waves and waves of (fun to fight) flood coming for you and your (fun to shoot) shotgun. Most people hated that the environment was too repetitive, but the same people's top of the lungs cries are responsible for making most levels in the sequels feel like they lasted 13minutes and you killed 10 or 15 enemies total sprinkled in breaks from admiring the seriously nonrepetitive environments. I hope they only make it look less repetitive while not changing the general geometry itself, I know I'm not the only Library fan.
I'm a fan of the Library. Definitely. I liked that the Flood were terrifying and overwhelming. My focus wasn't on whether or not the level seemed repetitive, but on what was gonna pop out of all the holes in the walls and what was lurking around every corner. I was relieved to make it to each new elevator/lift platform. It was a classic survival/horror mode level and it worked because the Flood were scary as crap and the atmosphere was so dark. It was a very cool change of pace in my opinion. You could either try and rambo charge your way through each floor and run for your life, or, instead, stop at every section and kill kill kill until the waves of flood stopped. Rinse and repeat.

Good games on Reach guys it was fun. Shame I couldnt really talk. It was probably best. :p Fyre im still up for a couple of games of Halo 3 if your on but im going to have to sleep soon, stupid timezones.

ElRenoRaven

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm a fan of the Library. Definitely. I liked that the Flood were terrifying and overwhelming. My focus wasn't on whether or not the level seemed repetitive, but on what was gonna pop out of all the holes in the walls and what was lurking around every corner. I was relieved to make it to each new elevator/lift platform. It was a classic survival/horror mode level and it worked because the Flood were scary as crap and the atmosphere was so dark. It was a very cool change of pace in my opinion. You could either try and rambo charge your way through each floor and run for your life, or, instead, stop at every section and kill kill kill until the waves of flood stopped. Rinse and repeat.

That is perfectly said. Just perfect. You actually managed to capture the essence of what makes the level so fun in a few words.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrel Cannon said:
Quick question, if I'm trying to talk about other Halo games this would be the wrong thread right.
Generally all Halo talk goes here, but if you want to start an LTTP or something on the Gaming side, go for it.

Barrel Cannon said:
Quick question, if I'm trying to talk about other Halo games this would be the wrong thread right.
Go for it. Especially as they compare to Reach. Really, any Halo OT just devolves into a catch-all thread of all things Halo.

darthbob

Zeouterlimits said:
I don't. For me the non-game content can only enrich the universe if the universe obeys it.

I suppose the main complaint is how Reach, the game, doesn't exactly obey the story that was set forth from TFoR. However, if TFoR was released after Reach, the game, would people still bitch about Reach's story and lambast TFoR instead?

darthbob said:

Movies > Everything

Do you count Episode 1-3 as movies too? Because the technology is more modern than in Episode IV-VI :p

darthbob said:
I suppose the main complaint is how Reach, the game, doesn't exactly obey the story that was set forth from TFoR. However, if TFoR was released after Reach, the game, would people still bitch about Reach's story and lambast TFoR instead?

I think TFoR did the Covenant Invasion in a much more interesting way. With Reach the covies had sort of come out of nowhere and totally bypassed all planetside defences. Somehow they had set up entire army camps on the planet.

Lets not forget the weak "Its the damn covenant" line. All in all as much as Reach got a lot of things right the initial part of the invasion was just flat. After how well ODST started off with the drop I was really expecting something a little more atmospheric for seeing the covies for the first time on Reach.

I also think the notion of more Spartan teams fighting for Reach was more interesting. Its a shame we didnt get much of a glimpse at what the other Spartans where doing on Reach. The radio logs where cool, but it was a massive battle, a mission where we worked with Blue team could have been sweet.

By the way good games guys. Sorry for being so half dead Fyre, I was slurring my words like crazy. Im going to call it a night lol!

Who wants to play with a high devo? (Had to take my sumatriptan since my migraine signal popped up, it's a pretty powerful sedative.)

Ramirez

TrounceX said:
Wtf is this. I want to play them now so bad.

Just watched a video off the file share. Average at best. Stood on the pistol on Sanctuary and didn't even get shot while sniping kids walking in straight lines.

I'd be embarrassed if I lost to these kids. Unless they are foreign with godly connections or something.

Well, I don't think they're foreign, but I really didn't have much of a chance in DMR battles. I can't really feel embarrassed getting beat by people with such high K/Ds, obviously they're doing something right.

senador

Banned
Hypertrooper said:

That's why I couldn't find it in stores. Blurg!

Devolution said:
Who wants to play with a high devo? (Had to take my sumatriptan since my migraine signal popped up, it's a pretty powerful sedative.)

I'll be on later around usual time, but I need to go to bed earlier tonight. Too much late Halo.

Get the aura? I get migraines fierce. Feels bad man. Does that stuff work? I may ask doc about it.

senador said:
I'll be on later around usual time, but I need to go to bed earlier tonight. Too much late Halo.

Get the aura? I get migraines fierce. Feels bad man. Does that stuff work? I may ask doc about it.

Yeah mine is like this weird kaleidoscope like sunspot in the corner of my eye. The drugs kind of just numb it.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
Yeah mine is like this weird kaleidoscope like sunspot in the corner of my eye. The drugs kind of just numb it.

Ugh, yup. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick. I don't think I could play Halo after seeing those.

senador said:
Ugh, yup. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick. I don't think I could play Halo after seeing those.

If I don't do anything kind of exciting I'll just get really drowsy and want to sleep.

Edit: lol think I'm gonna crash anyway.

Devolution said:
Heh, I get that too. A blind spot that grows, making it hard to read/play games. It disappears and then I get a nice migraine. It's one of the reasons I never joined the military to pursue being a combat pilot.

---
O Brave New ViDoc!

A lot of the info has already been discussed on Bungie.net, but I think I collected most of it and still managed to find some new things. As always, I'd love to hear what HaloGAF thinks.
Dug said:
For a minute I though you were linking to the ViDoc and became very confused. Will read though!
Is that better? :p

Dug

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
Heh, I get that too. A blind spot that grows, making it hard to read/play games. It disappears and then I get a nice migraine. It's one of the reasons I never joined the military to pursue being a combat pilot.

---
O Brave New ViDoc!

A lot of the info has already been discussed on Bungie.net, but I think I collected most of it and still managed to find some new things. As always, I'd love to hear what HaloGAF thinks.
For a minute I though you were linking to the ViDoc and became very confused. Will read though!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
thezerofire said:
are we still myspacing it up?

6wmyD.jpg
Suuuuuuper cute. And I mean that totally platonically, haha. We have a pretty similar style.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
If I don't do anything kind of exciting I'll just get really drowsy and want to sleep.

Edit: lol think I'm gonna crash anyway.
Good call. That's all I can do when I get them, especially when the numbness and nausea set in. Sucks bad. Evade and grenades are enough to set off a migraine, amiright? ;)

Top Bottom