• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

The Antitype said:
I don't see the armor abilities breaking map control as a particularly damaging thing. It just forces players and teams to take new attack strategies into account and react on the fly.

Whereas locking down a specific section of a map may have worked in previous Halo's now, players have the ability to circumvent choke-points with the jetpack, try to sneak past and attack from behind with the cloak, flank to the power weapons with a sprint, or charge in, disrupt the team, and then use armor lock to wait for back-up.

Circumventing choke holds is one thing, basically jetpacking up to a spot in which you can't be shot at or having a vantage point the map wasn't built around is bullshit. Not to mention the y-axis is slow. In semi-open maps with predictable spawns the jetpacker is constantly at a ridiculous advantage and on maps like Countdown there are various spots that the jetpack gives access to. And people camp up there.

At the end of the day, the winner of the battle still comes down to who lands more shots first. The AAs just give players to ways to enter, exit, and change the momentum of the exchanges. I don't have a problem with that.

Not when people have dash/evade, melee or close range weapons at their disposal. Not when melee is so powerful. And not when shots are circumvented by mechanics that minimize your ability to shoot someone down.

However, I DO wish Bungie had made it more obvious which AAs players were using, so it was less of a surprise. Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with it, cause the people I play with call out AAs the same way they do locations and weapons, so I usually have an idea of what's coming.

I agree but I wish they had made maps based around various AAs. Instead of just randomly throwing AAs at whatever map. And most of all thought about how stuff like jetpack would be abused well before they designed anything.

Devin Olsen said:
Good to have you back Tashi.

Can we all start making proper plans for a GAF/PAX get together? I was thinking a breakfast again, and maybe meet up after pax one of the nights and go out for dinner/drinks?

Ideas?
I would like to know that too. I guess there will be no drinks for me. Your American Laws forbid me to drink alcohol. lol.

Damn. I have to get back to my normal sleep patterns. GamesCom next week. So Tha Robbsters you will be there on Friday? I don't know if I come on that day.

Sean P.

Hypertrooper said:
I would like to know that too. I guess there will be no drinks for me. Your American Laws forbid me to drink alcohol. lol.

Damn. I have to get back to my normal sleep patterns. GamesCom next week. So Tha Robbsters you will be there on Friday? I don't know if I come on that day.

I'm too young as well :( I'm definitely down for breakfast again, maybe we could do a dinner on the 25th depending on who is in town?

Tashi0106 said:
Oh Duncan btw, I love your Destiny write ups. They're getting me excited.
Thanks. I enjoy writing them, I'm pretty excited too.

When I launched the site I had no idea if it would get any attention. The two month anniversary is this Thursday and I'll hit 20,000 page views either tonight or tomorrow. That blows me away, and I owe a large part of it to the fine folks at HBO (and to this one kid on Bungie.net that has apparently been spamming links to my site in every Destiny-related thread).

The really cool part is now I'm getting emails from people with small tidbits they have found or figured out. Just today I got an email with a shiny new angle on the Destiny Map, I'll upload it when I have a chance to write up a decent post but for now the phrase of the day is "fresh water". Also, "Puerto" something.

-----
PAX Friday Pass
PAX Sunday Pass

Back up for sale at face value ($35 each). Previous buyer managed to find a 3-day pass, the lucky dog. PM me if interested.

Tawpgun

Thagomizer said:
I just noticed that, when sheathed, the blade of Emile's khukri is exposed.

Doesn't...doesn't that defeat one of the main purposes of a sheath?
fuckingmagnets.jpg

In the future, we don't need any primitive sheaths.

Sean P. said:
I'm too young as well :( I'm definitely down for breakfast again, maybe we could do a dinner on the 25th depending on who is in town?
Yeah breakfast was a lot of fun last year... Albeit a little rushed, this year I think we will have all the kinks worked out. Hopefully coco and vociferous can stay for the entire thing this time.

I will be in town on the Thursday and would be down for a dinner probably. But Saturday night might be for the best since everyone will be there for that...

Sean P.

Devin Olsen said:
Yeah breakfast was a lot of fun last year... Albeit a little rushed, this year I think we will have all the kinks worked out. Hopefully coco and vociferous can stay for the entire thing this time.

I will be in town on the Thursday and would be down for a dinner probably. But Saturday night might be for the best since everyone will be there for that...

Or both, never get enough of HaloGAF :p

As well as if we do breakfast saturday morning we wont be rushed to get to a panel

Devin Olsen said:

Otherwise, isn't it better to do the Breakfast on Saturday? Because there is no Halo-themed panel on Saturday and we know that the Halo panel are going to be full very fast this year, because of the HaloFest. It is just my opinion.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hypertrooper said:
Otherwise, isn't it better to do the Breakfast on Saturday? Because there is no Halo-themed panel on Saturday and we know that the Halo panel are going to be full very fast this year, because of the HaloFest. It is just my opinion.
Only a fraction of the Halo Fest panels have been announced. :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
lybertyboy said:

Could you talk a bit about the layout and location of Halo Fest itself? I read the back of my badge and it says that Halo Fest is located at the Annex Convention Center at 7th and Pike. Is that part of the Washigton Cnvention Center or in a whole other building?

PooBone

What does it cost to go to PAX? Thinking about savin up for next year, it'd be a hell of a flight and a room by myself unless I could find some GAFers to shack up w/.

A27 Tawpgun said:
fuckingmagnets.jpg

In the future, we don't need any primitive sheaths.

The problem isn't holding it in with magnets or whatever, but that the blade is exposed to the elements. Even if he cleans and sharpens it religiously, that's going to seriously reduce the life of the blade.

PooBone said:
What does it cost to go to PAX? Thinking about savin up for next year, it'd be a hell of a flight and a room by myself unless I could find some GAFers to shack up w/.
Flight + hotel=~$2000
But I'm coming from Germany

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
Flight + hotel=~$2000
But I'm coming from Germany
Damn that is a lot, did a search to see how much it would cost me and it was only $300 for the flight+hotel (granted im sure that hotel is a piece of garbage lol)

GhaleonEB

PooBone said:
The three day pass was $55 this year. I'm staying in a pretty nice hotel with Hitmonchan for two nights, so it costs us each $110. Another GAFer is crashing with us, for which we're forcing him to take us to lunch one day.

Other than that, add travel costs. I'm just over 100 miles away, so my gas, hotel and ticket costs are less than $200. A freaking steal for what we get to experience.

Of course, adding air travel will add a lot of cost. Shacking up with GAFers is probably the best way to defray some of the total costs for the trip.

PooBone

GhaleonEB said:
The three day pass was $55 this year. I'm staying in a pretty nice hotel with Hitmonchan for two nights, so it costs us each $110. Another GAFer is crashing with us, for which we're forcing him to take us to lunch one day.

Other than that, add travel costs. I'm just over 100 miles away, so my gas, hotel and ticket costs are less than $200. A freaking steal for what we get to experience.

Of course, adding air travel will add a lot of cost. Shacking up with GAFers is probably the best way to defray some of the total costs for the trip.
Rad, I could swing that for 3 days next year. I'd be coming from Kentucky so it'd be a much longer trip. I'll have to keep my eye on what 343 is up to next year.

wwm0nkey said:
Damn that is a lot, did a search to see how much it would cost me and it was only $300 for the flight+hotel (granted im sure that hotel is a piece of garbage lol)
I have to say, that the hotel is for 6nights. It's my first real holiday since 2002. Otherwise I'm staying 13miles away from Seattle. *urgh*
Hotel is La Quinta Inn at Sea-Tac

lybertyboy said:
Sparkast LIVE! Podcast recording with special guest: Greg Bare*
*No relation to Greg Bear.
Manticore Theater
Friday 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Panelists: David Ellis [Content Producer, 343 Industries], Greg Bare [Convention Center Janitorial Staff]

Learn to Draw in 3 Eazy Steps
Wyvern Theater
Saturday 1:00pm-1:05pm
Panelist: Frank O'Connor [Franchise Development Director, 343 Industries]

Working at Microsoft: A Smorgasbord of Smells
Medusa Theater
Saturday 2:00pm-3:00pm
Panelist: Jessica Shea [Community Manager, 343 Industries]

I Had Dinner at Jason Jones' House and Lived to Tell About It
Main Theater
Sunday 4:00pm-6:00pm
Panelist: Alison Stroll [Producer, 343 Industries]

I have two 3 day passes that I am selling for 200 dollars a piece. I am only selling them for that to re-coop the cost. I bought three tickets off craigslist and one is for my friend.

I feel bad asking for so much :(

Tawpgun

Thagomizer said:
The problem isn't holding it in with magnets or whatever, but that the blade is exposed to the elements. Even if he cleans and sharpens it religiously, that's going to seriously reduce the life of the blade.
Future Blades.

I don't know. Emile doesn't give a fuck.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Domino Theory said:
Could you talk a bit about the layout and location of Halo Fest itself? I read the back of my badge and it says that Halo Fest is located at the Annex Convention Center at 7th and Pike. Is that part of the Washigton Cnvention Center or in a whole other building?
It's across the street from, but connected to the convention center.

Sai-kun

Banned
Devolution said:
I like HaloGAF a lot. If it weren't for you guys I'd be the fuck out of here honestly. This subcommunity is hilarious and fun. <3 you all, even the juniors I give too much of a hard time.

Also props to the people who put up with me ranting and raving about the game like every time I play looooooooooool.
:lol I love your bitching and complaining because it's like you're channeling me for me, so I don't have to complain as much! <3

senador

Banned
^^ I was going to quote that too. Devolution in game is hilarious. I agree with everything she says, but the way its said is so funny. I just laugh.

Captain Blood said:
All this back and forth about griefing reminded me of the Original Kings of Griefing....
Cocop and Voc!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9334813&postcount=33957

LOL, I am loving all this Halo 3 thread reliving.

That Cocop has no honor. He will not get far in Halo or life.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:

You must be in Northern Oregon for that kind of distance. Some friends and I driving right up to Seatte from Oregon, at just around 150M going up I-5 North.

Fun drive. -_-

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hypertrooper said:
I really have to say thanks to my parents. best parents on the world! If your kids or you say something different, they or you lie!
That's so awesome. What's your flight looking like? I've taken NYC to Frankfurt a few times and that was a nightmare. I'm a big guy so those seats are insanely uncomfortable for me. Connecting to Montenegro afterwards.

senador said:
^^ I was going to quote that too. Devolution in game is hilarious. I agree with everything she says, but the way its said is so funny. I just laugh.

Good to know. Halo really gets my sarcastic streak goin' sometimes I swear.

Ramirez

Never make the mistake of booking one of the hotels near the convention center, I think between the 4 of us in 08 we each had to give like 200-250 bucks.

Tashi0106 said:
That's so awesome. What's your flight looking like? I've taken NYC to Frankfurt a few times and that was a nightmare. I'm a big guy so those seats are insanely uncomfortable for me. Connecting to Montenegro afterwards.
I'll fly from Düsseldorf to Amsterdam, and then Amsterdam -> Seattle straight(10hours fly). Today I even received the messages, that the flight controllers aren't allowed to strike for the next 4 weeks, so my flight from Düsseldorf to Amsterdam is safe.

Devolution said:
Good to know. Halo really gets my sarcastic streak goin' sometimes I swear.
Overdoziz loves my talk about grenades. He really would wish that I make a podcast about Reach's grenades. I guess I'm going to do this favor.

senador said:

Yeah Devo offers a chuckle or two while playing. And then there's Tunavi....

Ramirez said:
Never make the mistake of booking one of the hotels near the convention center, I think between the 4 of us in 08 we each had to give like 200-250 bucks.

I remember that we booked them with Trashers name but on my credit card so for the next two years they would call me looking for Tom. I thought it was less than that but I could be wrong.

Ramirez

Captain Blood said:
I remember that we booked them with Trashers name but on my credit card so for the next two years they would call me looking for Tom. I thought it was less than that but I could be wrong.

Pretty positive it was 200, I know it hurt to hand the money over. :p

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay so I guess my internet is fine and it's just something with my router or some crap that's messing Halo up big time. So what can I do to fix this?

Top Bottom