• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Homeboyd said:
I was actually wondering the same thing (I remember him from my lurking days)... then I saw him posting in another thread the other day. Can't remember which one it was.
He has gone over to GOW. May he rest in - Lol he'll be fine.

Devolution said:
Lemme just get my whip out.

I think my biggest overall issue with this game is I don't feel like I'm beating anyone lately so much as finding ways to be the bigger cheap ass. Like I just played a doubles game against a guy using melee (albeit well) and he had host advantage, so I just ran around with shotty.

Yeah thats my problem with Reach. It really does seem like the people who are willing to abuse the cheap stuff are the guys that always win. I went out of my way to avoid things like Shotguns and Rockets in Halo 3 finding it more fun to straight BR people, but with Reach if I dont at the very least waste the power weapons out they are just going to dominate the gameplay like a warped game of Rock Paper Scissors.

Anyone up for playing Halo 3 or Reach at the moment?

Can I ask a stupid question? Whatever happened to just outshooting/outnading (with you know neutered ones anyway) people? Why all this fluff?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
thezerofire read my post where I said sure. Carefully :p

Homeboy stream is up and running in fantastic HD! When I play later I'll post a link to it. Warning though, I'm streaming at 4mb/s. JTV is in beta right now where you could change the resolution of streams and I'm going to shoot them an email and see if I can join in on the beta.

Deputy! I was banned before I got a chance to chat about my PC build. I just posted in the PC thread over in gaming if you wanna take a look. Parts and build pics included!

Damn, it feels good to be back.

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah thats my problem with Reach. It really does seem like the people who are willing to abuse the cheap stuff are the guys that always win. I went out of my way to avoid things like Shotguns and Rockets in Halo 3 finding it more fun to straight BR people, but with Reach if I dont at the very least waste the power weapons out they are just going to dominate the gameplay like a warped game of Rock Paper Scissors.

Anyone up for playing Halo 3 or Reach at the moment?
It's broken mechanics combatting other broken mechanics

Devolution said:
Can I ask a stupid question? Whatever happened to just outshooting/outnading (with you know neutered ones anyway) people? Why all this fluff?
hell if I know. maybe that's too hard for the CoD masses?

Tashi0106 said:
thezerofire read my post where I said sure. Carefully :p
oh lol. well maybe sometime then

Homeboyd

Hydranockz said:
He has gone over to GOW. May he rest in - Lol he'll be fine.
Yep that was it. Fair enough.

I've tried GOW and the new horde mode features really seem awesome.. I just can't get into the gameplay. Too anchored... Who knows.. maybe I'll understand it with GOW3.

Tashi

Devolution said:

Play MLG. Actually there are AA's in MLG. But play it anyway.

Devolution said:

From the vidoc's I got the vibe that Bungie felt that the BR gameplay wasnt varied enough. All the fluff is too promote more weapon usage. Wrong approach in my opinion. Variety comes from the gameplay, not weapon skins. There was more variety in BR battles than people gave them credit for.

Karl2177

Devolution said:
So anyone can kill anyone. It's not fun if you're not winning, and if you're not winning you aren't good. Now anyone can win, because they fill the game with fluff and as a result anyone can have fun.

It's backwards logic, but I'm under the impression that is how some devs think. Not to bash on Black Ops, but that game is one of the worst with it.

bobs99 ... said:
From the vidoc's I got the vibe that Bungie felt that the BR gameplay wasnt varied enough. All the fluff is too promote more weapon usage. Wrong approach in my opinion. Variety comes from the gameplay, not weapon skins. There was more variety in BR battles than people gave them credit for.
why move further away from Halo CE instead of closer to it then? I used all the weapons in their proper situation in that game

Karl2177 said:
So anyone can kill anyone. It's not fun if you're not winning, and if you're not winning you aren't good. Now anyone can win, because they fill the game with fluff and as a result anyone can have fun.

It's backwards logic, but I'm under the impression that is how some devs think. Not to bash on Black Ops, but that game is one of the worst with it.

Wrong. Modern Warfare 2 was one of the worsts with it. That game had shotguns that could kill from halfway across the map. Noob Tube spammers who could mortar the map and People with personal Radars who could camp in corners. Pure stupidity.

Black Ops is actually on the other end of the scale. Gotta say though that im wary the next CoD will be back to MW2 levels of stupidity.

thezerofire said:
why move further away from Halo CE instead of closer to it then? I used all the weapons in their proper situation in that game
Would you approve the removal of the BR/DMR?

Obviously there's also a pressure to "advance" the MP each time too, the public (at least think they) want the next thing, not just a graphical switch and some maps.
Devs don't necessary want to make the same thing again either, challenging themselves to add a new system to the MP and be able to balance it. I had another point to make here but it has escaped me, trying to do too many things at once.

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?
No.

What country are you posting from and what's your current age.
Canada, 26

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
16, Combat Evolved

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
Since the Halo 3 reveal trailer at E3 2006.

What's your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you're not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
Halo: Reach and Halo: Reach

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.

45 in Team Slayer, Team Objective (when it existed)

AR or BR?
BR

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).

Combat Evolved: Hang Em High
Halo 2: Zanzibar
Halo 3: Valhalla

Least hated Reach mp map.

Powerhouse, but I like almost all the DLC maps.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)
BTB

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Competitive

Games completed on solo Legendary.
All of them

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?
Nope.

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, Two Betrayals, Delta Halo, The Ark, The Covenant, Long Night of Solace

Favorite Reach playlists.
Team Slayer, Team Objective, BTB, Invasion, Premium, Flagstravaganza

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

Opinion on reticule bloom.
Take it or leave it, but they haven't found a better way to balance the sandbox yet.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
Love'em and it depends on the game-type and how the other team is playing. Usually start with sprint though...

Why are you a Halo fan?
The core shoot/grenade/melee combat has yet to be matched as far as depth, fun and satisfaction. The dynamic AI makes playing the single-player almost as much fun as multiplayer.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, some of us would enjoy reading it. (optional)

Name's Sascha, been playing games since I was 4 years old. My parents still [jokingly] consider bringing an NES into the house one of the biggest parenting mistakes of their lives, but I turned out just fine. ;)

I play all types of games, not just shooters or Halo. I started up a fansite with some buddies in college, got big enough to go to every E3 from 2005 to 2010 (yes, even the 'restricted' ones in 2007 and 2008), before getting into the gaming industry on the marketing side. Worked for EA for awhile, now I do market research which pays almost double. :D

In short: Gamer. Marketer. Mammal.

img1070a.jpg

Zeouterlimits said:
Would you approve the removal of the BR/DMR?

Obviously there's also a pressure to "advance" the MP each time too, the public (at least think they) want the next thing, not just a graphical switch and some maps.
Devs don't necessary want to make the same thing again either, challenging themselves to add a new system to the MP and be able to balance it. I had another point to make here but it has escaped me, trying to do too many things at once.
If they made the pistol actually usable then sure

Homeboyd

The Antitype said:
I started up a fansite with some buddies in college, got big enough to go to every E3 from 2005 to 2010 (yes, even the 'restricted' ones in 2007 and 2008), before getting into the gaming industry on the marketing side. Worked for EA for awhile, now I do market research which pays almost double. :D

In short: Gamer. Marketer. Mammal.
Mind if I take a look? That's pretty awesome.

Karl2177

bobs99 ... said:
Wrong. Modern Warfare 2 was one of the worsts with it. That game had shotguns that could kill from halfway across the map. Noob Tube spammers who could mortar the map and People with personal Radars who could camp in corners. Pure stupidity.

Black Ops is actually on the other end of the scale. Gotta say though that im wary the next CoD will be back to MW2 levels of stupidity.
They're both terrible. CoD4 was the last CoD game where the bullshit in MP didn't piss me off. Argh, I have a huge rant coming, but I have to leave for BDubs. I might post it when I get back.

Tashi

Oh I almost forgot!!! This is super important. For MLG Orlando my team "Campus Safety" wants to get shirts made. However, we want a new design.

w5Gjl.jpg

I love this design but let's upgrade for T-shirts. These are where we want them from. http://kiaeneto.com/product_info.php?products_id=195 Shirt specs in the link

What we need:
A cool Campus Safety log for our team. Our team name is "Campus Safety"

When we need it:
Hmmm how about we make the dead line in 2 weeks from now. August 23rd

Why you should do it:

Because if my team chooses your shirt design, I'll give you 20$ gifted through Paypal. Cool right?

Feel free to post designs here, to get others' opinions. Please PM me when your final design is ready. We can exchange emails and files that way.

Thanks guys! <3

I thought you were going to Raleigh Tashi? I'm going to both :)

Tashi

Devolution said:
MLG is just too serious for me. I'm fucked, I don't want to play like some pro and I don't want to play this campy shit.

At least in the serious MLG playlist, the campy bullshit is kept to a minimum.

JB1981

Is halo 3 still populated? I want to play it tonight, though my options are limited because I never bought the DLC which is fucking bullshit

thezerofire said:
I think I've never really used any plasma weapons in campaign when it wasn't necessary.

Halo CE was pistol+shotgun/AR/snipe?rockets and for all the other games, you can replace the pistol with BR/Carbine/DMR. Plasma just never really felt effective to me (and I think the noob combo is, ehh, nooby :p)

Something 343 has to do in Halo 4, is making the weapons of your enemies interesting to use. I've never felt compelled to pick up a spiker/plasma repeater/concussion rifle after my 1th playtrough while those were the main weapons of your enemies in Halo 3 and Reach. The reason for that is that there is a better version available, the human counterpart.

Drop the whole, for every human weapon, there has to be a covenant (or new enemy in 4) counterpart. Make some unqiue weapons. A good example for this is the plasma pistol and the focus rifle. Their human equivalent don't come close to their gameplay. And that's how it should be in my opinion, make the alien weapons feel really alien.

The last part was a bit OT, but I had to throw it out.

Devolution said:
MLG is just too serious for me. I'm fucked, I don't want to play like some pro and I don't want to play this campy shit.
premium battle is good enough
not halo2-3 good, but there's not much garbage in it at least
still, it's mind boggling how plenty of times you get to play on hemoshit and bonegarbage but there's no countdown (which would be big enough for 6v6 matches).
will we ever get rid of hemorrage, paradiso/utopie, cage/uncaged, boneyard, spire, renegade and god knows how many other shitty maps in matchmaking? I mean, seriously, make almost all of the playlists dlc required and kill the retail maps with fire because other than countdown, zealot and boardwalk (still 2 shottys, 2 snipers, rockets every 30secs and plasma launcher uh? does it really take 1 whole year to fix the weapon placement?) they suck really, really hard

Drop the whole, for every human weapon, there has to be a covenant (or new enemy in 4) counterpart. Make some unqiue weapons. A good example for this is the plasma pistol and the focus rifle. Their human equivalent don't come close to their gameplay. And that's how it should be in my opinion, make the alien weapons feel really alien.

The last part was a bit OT, but I had to throw it out.
this! I agree so much! no point in having covnant counterparts.
basically other than plasma pistol and stickies, there's no useful covy weapon -.- oh well, even the plasma pistol is now useless if there's a thumper nearby

edit. my apologies for being impolite. reach can be really annoying sometimes.

feel

JB1981 said:
Is halo 3 still populated? I want to play it tonight, though my options are limited because I never bought the DLC which is fucking bullshit
If you go alone into Social Slayer, you will be in a game 30 seconds later (it also doesn't require paid DLC maps). I think ranked slayer doesn't require paid maps either. Playing with a full team will have you searching for a game forever in the ranked playlists.

Tashi0106 said:
Oh I almost forgot!!! This is super important. For MLG Orlando my team "Campus Safety" wants to get shirts made. However, we want a new design.

w5Gjl.jpg
Boom. Done.
21l93id.jpg

I'll PM you my PayPal account name.

Homeboyd said:
Mind if I take a look? That's pretty awesome.

You could if it was still around. My buddies sold it to Gamezone 5 or 6 months after I left for EA. I'll PM you my full name and you can run a google search, some of the articles might still be cached.

PooBone

Bread said:
I went on a cruise a couple weeks ago... had the full beard at the time, and I swear at least 20 people asked me if I was the guy from "The Hangover." Zach Galifianakis is like 70 pounds heavier than me. LOL

PooBone

Homeboyd said:
I was actually wondering the same thing (I remember him from my lurking days)... then I saw him posting in another thread the other day. Can't remember which one it was.
That guy will tell you gravity doesn't exist just to argue with you.

Tashi

Any news on original Xbox tags being deleted? I want to change my tag to "Tashi" but it's taken and I don't think it's been used in years :/

Devolution said:

I don't consider armor abilities fluff. They add tactical wrinkles to the combat, and battles develop or evolve differently depending on which ones are used and how well players are able to counter them.

Saying 'what's with all this fluff' is like asking why people ever bothered to mod Quake into Team Fortress. Because they wanted to expand on the strong core of the game with new ideas and experiences.

FyreWulff

Tashi0106 said:
Any news on original Xbox tags being deleted? I want to change my tag to "Tashi" but it's taken and I don't think it's been used in years :/

They were definitely deleted, I got my original "FyreWulff" tag back. They're definitely deleted in waves though. Might have to wait longer for whenever it was used last.

I had to try for quite a while to get it back, it said it was already in use, then bam, one day it was finally available.

Risen

Devolution said:

MLG customs with friends... no campy shit, don't have to play like a pro, no need to play serious... may still be fucked. But it will be proper fucked and fun.

The Antitype said:
I don't consider armor abilities fluff. They add tactical wrinkles to the combat, and battles develop or evolve differently depending on which ones are used and how well players are able to counter them.

Saying 'what's with all this fluff' is like asking why people ever bothered to mod Quake into Team Fortress. Because they wanted to expand on the strong core of the game with new ideas and experiences.

AAs as they are currently implemented are total fluff that add too much randomness and just plain break a bunch of maps, since most maps were made without any particular ability in mind. It would be one thing if the maps were designed around AAs but they aren't. Thus instead of actually being able to account for the AA and what it can do, you're left with a lot of guess work. That's what breaks it to me. If they were timed pickups or worked with the flow of a map instead of breaking a map, that would be a whole other story.

The Antitype said:

I know your post wasnt directly in response to me, buuut:

I dont see AA's in the same way you see them. In my opinion they aren't subtle tactical wrinkles which make the gameplay more dynamic. They are the equivalent of using sledgehammers. They always play out in the same way and are basically brute force ways of changing the game. I have yet to really see the AA's be used in more interesting dynamic ways. (other than maybe Hologram and Jetpack, the least used AA's, even they seem to have limitations in what kind of scenarios they create).

Adding new stuff is good, but I think a lot of the stuff added in Reach is fluff, its not really good enough to push the core gameplay forward in itself.

Devolution said:
AAs as they are currently implemented are total fluff that add too much randomness and just plain break a bunch of maps, since most maps were made without any particular ability in mind. It would be one thing if the maps were designed around AAs but they aren't. Thus instead of actually being able to account for the AA and what it can do, you're left with a lot of guess work. That's what breaks it to me. If they were timed pickups or worked with the flow of a map instead of breaking a map, that would be a whole other story.

I kind of see them in the opposite way, they are very stiff and always play out pretty much the same, however I do hate how randomly a player can use them. Unlimited gamechangers on a short timer are going to affect the gameplay, but not because those gamechanges are dynamic, just because they are on tap so often.

bobs99 ... said:
I kind of see them in the opposite way, they are very stiff and always play out pretty much the same, however I do hate how randomly a player can use them. Unlimited gamechangers on a short timer are going to affect the gameplay, but not because those gamechanges are dynamic, just because they are on tap so often.

Depends on what we're talking about. I mean people shouldn't have to account for some jackass taking the jetpack to a high corner or spot normally unreachable.

I agree that some of it is predictable but frustrating regardless, like sword plus dash or evade.

Devolution said:
Depends on what we're talking about. I mean people shouldn't have to account for some jackass taking the jetpack to a high corner or spot normally unreachable.

I agree that some of it is predictable but frustrating regardless, like sword plus dash or evade.

Yeah I didn't mean to make out they aren't frustrating. The gameplay might be predictable once you know what AA someone has, but a lot of the time im going in blind and once I see a certain AA I know the gameplay is only going to go in one direction, but all the same I dont know what AA someone is going to use and when. Thats the random factor and it sucks.

Haha cant stop laughing:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9226922&highlight=victory#post9226922

Technically Coco is a bit of a prat for doing it, but at least he wasnt just whoring kills, he was literally in his own words creating peices of art with his entire team parading in a line and what not. Amazing.

Devolution said:

I don't see the armor abilities breaking map control as a particularly damaging thing. It just forces players and teams to take new attack strategies into account and react on the fly.

Whereas locking down a specific section of a map may have worked in previous Halo's now, players have the ability to circumvent choke-points with the jetpack, try to sneak past and attack from behind with the cloak, flank to the power weapons with a sprint, or charge in, disrupt the team, and then use armor lock to wait for back-up.

At the end of the day, the winner of the battle still comes down to who lands more shots first. The AAs just give players to ways to enter, exit, and change the momentum of the exchanges. I don't have a problem with that.

However, I DO wish Bungie had made it more obvious which AAs players were using, so it was less of a surprise. Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with it, cause the people I play with call out AAs the same way they do locations and weapons, so I usually have an idea of what's coming.

bobs99 ... said:
I know your not responding to me but I felt like replying.

I dont see AA's in the same way you see them. In my opinion they aren't subtle tactical wrinkles which make the gameplay more dynamic. They are the equivalent of using sledgehammers. They always play out in the same way and are basically brute force ways of changing the game. I have yet to really see the AA's be used in more interesting dynamic ways. (other than maybe Hologram and Jetpack, the least used AA's, even they seem to have limitations in what kind of scenarios they create).

Adding new stuff is good, but I think a lot of the stuff added in Reach is fluff, its not really good enough to push the core gameplay forward in itself.

Alright, but how is that any different than the weapons in the game. A battle between a player using the shotgun and another player using the DMR/BR will always play out the same way, generally. The shotgun will try to close the distance (using grenades, the environment, what have you), while the DMR/BR tries to pick him off and maintain safe distance.

Likewise the AAs. A Jetpack user will always attempt to seek the high-ground for an advantage in the fight. Where that fight is on the map, alters what the highground is, how long he'll be in the air, etc... and the weapons that he and the players shooting at him have will have an impact on how his journey upwards goes. Likewise, the players on the ground have their own AAs that they can respond with - they can fly up with a jetpack of their own, cloak and try to get out of the combat area before he lands and gets a handle of the area beneath him, sprint, etc.

All these factors lead to encounters playing out differently. Yes, in general, everybody uses the same strategies for the same AAs, but those strategies develop into different scenarios depending on how they mix with the other factors at play.

Anyway, I like AAs. I enjoy playing with them. :)

Good to have you back Tashi.

Can we all start making proper plans for a GAF/PAX get together? I was thinking a breakfast again, and maybe meet up after pax one of the nights and go out for dinner/drinks?

Ideas?

Top Bottom