• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Sai-kun said:
Okay so I guess my internet is fine and it's just something with my router or some crap that's messing Halo up big time. So what can I do to fix this?

Buy a new one. Check router settings when it comes to NAT/firewall. Make sure your xbox is on a DMZ.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
For the record, Hypertrooper is a very good person.

Warning dude, you might get a totally platonic, awkwardly long hug when I pick you up.
That's awesome. You guys remind me a lot of The WorkPLace over at b.net when I see things like what hypertrooper did. Great group of guys and gals with a similar interest but lead very different lives from all over the world that still all speak that common language. Everyone seems to look out for eachother which is so refreshing to see.

Glad to be a part of it here as well if you'll continue to have me.

Still.. Very cool trooper.

senador

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Okay so I guess my internet is fine and it's just something with my router or some crap that's messing Halo up big time. So what can I do to fix this?

If you know its the router, you may have to get a new one.

I'd call your ISP and have them come take a look. They'll narrow it down for you. Usually they only charge you if its something in your house (not their fault), but will also say "OK its X, and its going to be Y much for me to proceed".

Can you hook directly into you modem and see how it is?

If its not your modem or router you have some serious packet loss or connection issues.

I went through something similar a month or 2 ago where my speed was fine, but my internet would drop and reconnect every 20 minutes or so. The tech had to replace something out at the main box.

feel

Ramirez said:
Pretty positive it was 200, I know it hurt to hand the money over. :p
Seems pretty obvious to me that Captain Blood and the person who charged the card at the hotel's reception had an agreement in place to rob some money from the rest of you. Far fetched, but now you're thinking about it.

Nutter

2000 dollars for PAX.. I don't even....

Thankfully i'm less than 3 hours away and have my cousins place to stay at.

Also Cocop the "first" objective holding Gaffer. HAHA

Btw, so I have a random question, did Halo CE revert to an earlier checkpoint if you were stuck/blocked on one? (you get stuck or vehicle explodes just as you get a checkpoint)
Or was that a Halo 2 and onward thing.

Sai-kun

Banned
senador said:
If you know its the router, you may have to get a new one.

I'd call your ISP and have them come take a look. They'll narrow it down for you. Usually they only charge you if its something in your house (not their fault), but will also say "OK its X, and its going to be Y much for me to proceed".

Can you hook directly into you modem and see how it is?

If its not your modem or router you have some serious packet loss or connection issues.

I went through something similar a month or 2 ago where my speed was fine, but my internet would drop and reconnect every 20 minutes or so. The tech had to replace something out at the main box.

It's not actually my router, but it could be part of the problem. Everything was just fine and dandy in my last apartment. I just moved in to a new place last night, and the internet is split throughout the complex. My speeds are pretty damn awesome apparently, but the game of Reach I just played was the laggiest.

senador

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
http://www.twitch.tv/tashiii

Stream is up. In Glorious HD!

Wow, it looks so much better now! Good work!

Sai-kun said:
It's not actually my router, but it could be part of the problem. Everything was just fine and dandy in my last apartment. I just moved in to a new place last night, and the internet is split throughout the complex. My speeds are pretty damn awesome apparently, but the game of Reach I just played was the laggiest.

Hmm. Your latency was good right?

How's your NAT?

Tawpgun

Might as well start the campaign now. While Halo 4 is still being developed.

343. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Answer the cries of the machinima community. LET US LOWER OUR GUNS ONLINE!

Long story short, Machinima isn't as fun as it was in Halo 2 because it went from a community project/event/fun filming with friends to a tedious one man show.

Bring the fun back in making machinima and let us lower our guns online.

GhaleonEB

darthbob said:
You must be in Northern Oregon for that kind of distance. Some friends and I driving right up to Seatte from Oregon, at just around 150M going up I-5 North.

Fun drive. -_-
Yup. Saint Helens.

HiredN00bs said:
Or...*cue barrow roll*
Are you... calling me a dog?

I don't get it. :I

But okay then, thank you for addressing me kind sage.

Domino Theory said:
I took pictures of some Spartans from various items (toys, books, etc.) and thought I'd share them on HaloGAF so they can be used for avatars or anything else you all desire. If you can find higher quality pictures of the same thing then you can ignore my pictures. I do what I can with the iPhone's camera quality:

Fall of Reach Chief

Red Spartan

Halo Wars Spartan

Halo Wars Spartan 2
The Halo Wars Mark IV is so sexy. I want a non RTS Halo game where we can use it please.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
Wow, small world. I know a few GAFers from Portland, but didn't expect any out here.

Yeah, crazy.

I've probably seen you around too, like at the theater in Scappoose or something lol.

Sai-kun

Banned
Shit, OT but I just bought 800 points and was about to buy From Dust when I remembered that it's out on PC next week. So now I have 1101 points to spend. What should I get? :D

what does it say when Social Slayer in Halo 3 has a bigger population than Squad Slayer in Halo Reach?

Sai-kun said:
Shit, OT but I just bought 800 points and was about to buy From Dust when I remembered that it's out on PC next week. So now I have 1101 points to spend. What should I get? :D
Shadow Complex

senador

Banned
thezerofire said:
what does it say when Social Slayer in Halo 3 has a bigger population than Squad Slayer in Halo Reach?

Nothing really in my opinion. I'd compare Social Slayer to Team Slayer probably. Squad is different and like Ghaleon once said its not a "standard" playlist most would hop into. Or something like that.

I bet if Squad was renamed to Team Slayer and Team Slayer was Social Slayer, the population between the 2 would even out.

senador said:
Nothing really in my opinion. I'd compare Social Slayer to Team Slayer probably. Squad is different and like Ghaleon once said its not a "standard" playlist most would hop into. Or something like that.

I bet if Squad was renamed to Team Slayer and Team Slayer was Social Slayer, the population between the 2 would even out.

Yeah you can't really compare them. Also, its not really far to compare individual playlist populations for Reach and Halo 3 because the numbers are reported differently.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah you can't really compare them. Also, its not really far to compare individual playlist populations for Reach and Halo 3 because the numbers are reported differently.
That's on the site. I'm in the game right now.

and getting on Reach, since playing Halo 3 alone isn't too much fun

thezerofire said:
That's on the site. I'm in the game right now.

and getting on Reach, since playing Halo 3 alone isn't too much fun

It doesn't matter. The numbers are reported to the servers every 60 seconds in Reach. In Halo 3 it was every 30 minutes (or was it 60?) which lead to a lot of backlogging and therefore inflation of the numbers in Halo 3.

MrBig

If you're still on, tashi, this is what I'm working on
cst1.jpg

MrBig said:
If you're still on, tashi, this is what I'm working on
http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/gaf/halogaf/cst1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Now just put walshy's face in the middle and it is perfect.
[SPOILER]Looks pretty rad dude.[/SPOILER]

PAX passes for all my friends are purchased, we have a place to stay, HBO T-Shirt is ordered (Wu you're definitely signing it... I will never forget the time when we were at the Bungie booth and some kid asked you to sign his Cat Helmet and you asked him "Do you even know who I am?" and when you told him who you were he just quietly took back his cat helmet and walked away... lol), GAF shirts are ordered... Looks like I am pretty much ready to go for PAX.

Can't wait to see all of you again, this is honestly one of my favourite annual trips. <3

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
FyreWulff said:
Interesting info. dmiller said that Reflection being put into New Alexandria saved it from being cut for ship:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1093197

So thank dmiller for helping save the only non-FW direct remake in Reach :D
And thankful I am. Love that map, despite the Jetpacking a-holes.

And sorry to Senador, Devo, and thezerofire. My internet has been really sketchy tonight, and cut out entirely during our game. :-(

FyreWulff

Also found it interesting that there's no functional Scarab AI or functioning Scarab in Reach - which I guess we can assume the two ones we see drop down on Pillar of Autumn are manually animated.

Crater's existence as Club Errera also explained. Basically, dmiller only had enough budget for one unique building (the Hospital, by process of elimination) so Crater was used to create a third building and because he helped design it for ODST.

edit: also I guess I will collate and gather all the questions and responses together for people who don't want to go through the HBO forum thread after he says he's done.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Also found it interesting that there's no functional Scarab AI or functioning Scarab in Reach - which I guess we can assume the two ones we see drop down on Pillar of Autumn are manually animated.

Crater's existence as Club Errera also explained. Basically, dmiller only had enough budget for one unique building (the Hospital, by process of elimination) so Crater was used to create a third building and because he helped design it for ODST.

edit: also I guess I will collate and gather all the questions and responses together for people who don't want to go through the HBO forum thread after he says he's done.

Yea that thread has been a goldmine. I'm actually sad that it didn't make it in as a firefight map. Would have been nice to see an extra firefight map and one that was so damn good.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Yea that thread has been a goldmine. I'm actually sad that it didn't make it in as a firefight map. Would have been nice to see an extra firefight map and one that was so damn good.

It's unfortunate that it's kind of stuck in a hard place. People would bitch if they re-released as DLC because "it's already on the disc!". And then people would bitch because it's a remake. And even if they got MS to release Crater as free DLC, people would bitch about "using up the free DLC slot on a remake".

So it's probably stuck as a little nod to ODST in the campaign. But at least we know now why it's there but wasn't an actual FF level.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
It's unfortunate that it's kind of stuck in a hard place. People would bitch if they re-released as DLC because "it's already on the disc!". And then people would bitch because it's a remake. And even if they got MS to release Crater as free DLC, people would bitch about "using up the free DLC slot on a remake".

So it's probably stuck as a little nod to ODST in the campaign. But at least we know now why it's there but wasn't an actual FF level.

Yup. I swear if I had the ears of all the people who ever made a level in Halo they would never get rest. I just love hearing all their reasons for things and how levels came together etc.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. I swear if I had the ears of all the people who ever made a level in Halo they would never get rest. I just love hearing all their reasons for things and how levels came together etc.

Should have dmiller and co do a commentary run of 3 / ODST / Reach instead of Marty/Staten.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Should have dmiller and co do a commentary run of 3 / ODST / Reach instead of Marty/Staten.

That would be awesome. Not that I don't love Marty and Staten. I say go a step further. Bring back them all back that did levels for each game one night only. Then let them all discuss while Halo,Halo2,Halo3,ODST, and Reach are played.

I don't care what it would take. Cash, beer, free plane tickets for them all. I'd gladly pay a fortune for a Blu-Ray or DVD of that. lol

Trasher

MrBig said:
I would, it was just so much time spent on that BR and then finding out that it couldn't go in the store was a huge turn off
Ah. What a shame. :( I was hoping to maybe buy it separate from the GAF store.

Devolution said:
I was never told why mine didn't make it in.
I really wanted to get one of yours too.

FyreWulff said:

That would be great. Combing through HBO forums is brutal lol.

There were 8 non-forge maps that shipped with the game. Crazy that one of those 8 almost got cut. Implementing the MP maps into the campaign was really a big mistake. We already know that one map got cut/reworked into a horror because the campaign location disappeared ("Blockout" became The Cage). Now we find out that another nearly got cut because none of the mission designers could get it into their mission(s) except for Dan.

I wonder how many other MP maps got cut because they couldn't be reasonably placed into the campaign?

FyreWulff said:

Ever since I saw Crater in the campaign, I've hoped that Bungie would release it as a free DLC firefight map, but alas, it never happened.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
That would be awesome. Not that I don't love Marty and Staten. I say go a step further. Bring back them all back that did levels for each game one night only. Then let them all discuss while Halo,Halo2,Halo3,ODST, and Reach are played.

I don't care what it would take. Cash, beer, free plane tickets for them all. I'd gladly pay a fortune for a Blu-Ray or DVD of that. lol

I guess I should re-word that - I like Staten/Jones/Marty commentary, but they kind of have the general overview perspective of each level.

I'd like to hear commentary, as you just said, from the mission designers, the ones that had the ground-zero view of each level as it came together. Both groups would have different perspectives, and I'd also like to hear a more technical commentary side too.

Put Marty/Jason/Jones on Audio Track 2, and dmiller and co on Audio Track 3. SHIP IT

PNut

Banned
Done with Arena after 255 games this season. I really gave it my best shot too, but Jetpackers and terrible asymmetrical maps not suited for competitive play have done me in. My team and I tried to "adapt", but all the randomness is just too much to bear anymore. Just not fun. Hats off to all kids that don't let all that get in the way and continue to play it and have fun.

Unless there are significant changes made to Arena next season I guess the only option is to venture into the MLG playlist were there is no Uncaged, Powerhouse, Reflection, Synapse (terrible spawning system), Countdown or Swordbase.

Blinding

PNut said:
Unless there are significant changes made to Arena next season I guess the only option is to venture into the MLG playlist were there is no Uncaged, Powerhouse, Reflection, Synapse (terrible spawning system), Countdown or Swordbase.

Um, Countdown is in MLG.

Top Bottom