• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

feel

That's probably more games than I have across every playlist since launch

edit- checked the bungie app and I have 2212 games, sigh... that couldn't been good to my health

edit2- 7322 Halo 3 games, thought the gap would be bigger considering that came out in 2007 and Reach only last year, and I still play Halo 3.

senador

Banned
PNut said:
Done with Arena after 255 games this season. I really gave it my best shot too, but Jetpackers and terrible asymmetrical maps not suited for competitive play have done me in. My team and I tried to "adapt", but all the randomness is just too much to bear anymore. Just not fun. Hats off to all kids that don't let all that get in the way and continue to play it and have fun.

Unless there are significant changes made to Arena next season I guess the only option is to venture into the MLG playlist were there is no Uncaged, Powerhouse, Reflection, Synapse (terrible spawning system), Countdown or Swordbase.

You just named like, all the maps. So uh, what maps do you like?

Recarpo

PNut said:
Done with Arena after 255 games this season. I really gave it my best shot too, but Jetpackers and terrible asymmetrical maps not suited for competitive play have done me in.

You're a much more patient person than me. I wanted to actually get rated for 1 season and made it to 34 games before I bailed on arena.

Edit: is there still a site to look at the current playlists with the maps/gametypes that are in each? I did a quick search around bungie.net and halo.xbox.com and couldn't find anything.

so after a frustrating night of playing, I've concluded that the amount of randomness in this game is astounding, and quite frankly unacceptable in a formerly competitive series. Your shots are random, the spawns seem quite random, there are gametypes like Crazy King, where the hill is random, and no regular King. There's Hot Potato (only in Action Sack I know, but still) where the time to the bomb blowing up is random, and it spawns in a random place. Seriously, why is there so much randomness?

Tashi0106 said:
Oh I almost forgot!!! This is super important. For MLG Orlando my team "Campus Safety" wants to get shirts made. However, we want a new design.

You're going to be in Orlando?! I'm going to make a sign and support Team Tashi. (When is the Orlando date? I'll seriously go if it's sometime after September.)

Hypertrooper said:
I would like to know that too. I guess there will be no drinks for me. Your American Laws forbid me to drink alcohol. lol.
Beautiful, glorious American Laws. (I'll be 21 for the first day of PAX. It will take all of my power not to be tipsy.)

GhaleonEB said:
The three day pass was $55 this year. I'm staying in a pretty nice hotel with Hitmonchan for two nights, so it costs us each $110. Another GAFer is crashing with us, for which we're forcing him to take us to lunch one day.

Other than that, add travel costs. I'm just over 100 miles away, so my gas, hotel and ticket costs are less than $200. A freaking steal for what we get to experience.

Of course, adding air travel will add a lot of cost. Shacking up with GAFers is probably the best way to defray some of the total costs for the trip.
All of this talk is getting me so excited for Halo Fest.

And David, I really hope you guys reveal all of the panels tomorrow, because I need to start setting up interviews outside of Halo Fest.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
There were 8 non-forge maps that shipped with the game. Crazy that one of those 8 almost got cut.
Yeah, that seems absolutely insane. One of the better maps in the game almost axed because it wasn't in the process of being recycled? Woof. That kind of seems like a gross misallocation of resources. I guess more faith was put into Forge than I thought.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Beautiful, glorious American Laws. (I'll be 21 for the first day of PAX. It will take all of my power not to be tipsy.)
Hitmonchan wicked hammered at PAX confirmed.
Hitmonchan107 said:
And David, I really hope you guys reveal all of the panels tomorrow, because I need to start setting up interviews outside of Halo Fest.

Bring us Halo news, so we don't have to get it ourselves.
26.jpg

Havok said:
Yeah, that seems absolutely insane. One of the better maps in the game almost axed because it wasn't in the process of being recycled? Woof. That kind of seems like a gross misallocation of resources. I guess more faith was put into Forge than I thought.
Yeah that's really puzzling to me. They had close to 10 years of experience of creating Halo games, and talked about how they had more producers than ever for Reach and have a learned a lot about what they can get done in that three year development. In some areas, this is obviously true in Reach, but in some others it is woefully not. It feels like they got a couple of years into Reach and then went, oh shit we need maps for our multiplayer.

PNut

Banned
Blinding said:
Um, Countdown is in MLG.

Yes, but it's not the same.

Recarpo said:
You're a much more patient person than me. I wanted to actually get rated for 1 season and made it to 34 games before I bailed on arena.

Be glad you did.

senador said:
You just named like, all the maps. So uh, what maps do you like?

Asylum, Kingdom, Select and Synapse (even though the spawns are broken).

senador

Banned
thezerofire said:
so after a frustrating night of playing, I've concluded that the amount of randomness in this game is astounding, and quite frankly unacceptable in a formerly competitive series. Your shots are random, the spawns seem quite random, there are gametypes like Crazy King, where the hill is random, and no regular King. There's Hot Potato (only in Action Sack I know, but still) where the time to the bomb blowing up is random, and it spawns in a random place. Seriously, why is there so much randomness?

I can't stop thinking about that. Bungie loves that math.random(). It really seems that most decisions in this game were made so that new and more casual players have a better change. Makes me a sad panda.

Today was not a good day for Halo. Bad bad spawns, jet packers getting in stupid places, lag, guests that are bad, do collateral damage and quit, losing due to randomness of hot potato blowing up and where it spawns next. Ugh. Not fun.

PNut said:
Asylum, Kingdom, Select and Synapse (even though the spawns are broken).

Dat gray

Ugh, I highly dislike all of those but Asylum. I can't handle community maps really.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hitmonchan107 said:
You can check out anytime you want, but you can never...

You get the idea.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
thezerofire said:
There's like a million troll responses that I want to post, not at you but in agreement with you and aimed at Bungie. But I just can't find it in me to have a fuss about this game anymore, I am done fussing about it. I'm just going to wait til' the TU drops and then I'll comment on it and the state of the game. My frustration has lead to acceptance, the game is what it is.

I was a bit upset when Bungie painted Reach as Halo done right in the viDoc. I felt as if they had become so far out disconnected from the franchise they themselves had created. Could any of them honestly say that while the game was being made that there was no argument on how it should have played? I don't think they could. The game's support came off as lackluster at times, the credits were just poorly implemented, I could go on and on, we've just about all made our own laundry list.

But at the end of the day it is the product that shipped and we're going to have to play it as it is for the time being up until that TU drops and even then that experience will be only for the play list they are placed in and not across the board, thus splintering the community even more. 343i has a bunch of great and talented people yet I feel in spite of that they are putting forth this TU as a way of saying, "thanks for putting up with this", you know as an act of good will on there part, rather than "thanks for you continued support", they said it themselves they heard the complaints. This is there way of making things right, to show they are listening.

I don't know where I was going with this, maybe I'm wrong.

tl;dr: Let's just all stop complaining til' the TU drops.

Plywood said:
There's like a million troll responses that I want to post, not at you but in agreement with you and aimed at Bungie. But I just can't find it in me to have a fuss about this game anymore, I am done fussing about it. I'm just going to wait til' the TU drops and then I'll comment on it and the state of the game. My frustration has lead to acceptance, the game is what it is.

I was a bit upset when Bungie painted Reach as Halo done right in the viDoc. I felt as if they had become so far out disconnected from the franchise they themselves had created. Could any of them honestly say that while the game was being made that there was no argument on how it should have played? I don't think they could. The game's support came off as lackluster at times, the credits were just poorly implemented, I could go on and on, we've just about all made our own laundry list.

But at the end of the day it is the product that shipped and we're going to have to play it as it is for the time being up until that TU drops and even then that experience will be only for the play list they are placed in and not across the board, thus splintering the community even more. 343i has a bunch of great and talented people yet I feel in spite of that they are putting forth this TU as a way of saying, "thanks for putting up with this", you know as an act of good will on there part, rather than "thanks for you continued support", they said it themselves they heard the complaints. This is there way of making things right, to show they are listening.

Where are you at boo.

Plywood said:

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

I just can't wait for Halo Fest to see exactly what this TU is going to be so I can see if its going to make me play CEA/Reach at all after Battlefield 3 comes out.

Kibbles

Yeah they just played off Halo 3 and Reach as if they were pitch perfect in the ViDoc =\ I was expecting some talk about how drastically different Reach was and they risks they took there and how it was received. Seemed more like promotion material.

Steelyuhas said:
Hitmonchan wicked hammered at PAX confirmed.
Hah. I've been more hammered this week than I have my entire life. I've been drifting between friends and family since I won't have a house locked down for another week, and apparently that means that everyone wants to get me drunk since I won't be around for my 21st birthday. :lol :lol

Hitmonchan107 said:
Hah. I've been more hammered this week than I have my entire life. I've been drifting between friends and family since I won't have a house locked down for another week, and apparently that means that everyone wants to get me drunk since I won't be around for my 21st birthday. :lol :lol

Everyone is trying to get in on a little action. You only turn 21 once, best to not remember it!

bobs99 ... said:
Haha cant stop laughing:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9226922&highlight=victory#post9226922

Technically Coco is a bit of a prat for doing it, but at least he wasnt just whoring kills, he was literally in his own words creating peices of art with his entire team parading in a line and what not. Amazing.
I went back through that thread looking for my old posts. I noticed that I was a lot nicer back then... I guess it comes in spurts.

This is how I function: Play game. Get mad at game. Get on gaf and throw tantrums. People get tired of tantrums and tell me to shut up. I apologize and try to behave myself. Start playing game again. Process starts over.

There were points in Halo3 where I'd get really pissed, but overall, the good experiences balanced everything out, despite a lot of things I didn't like about the game. In Reach, I was pissed about 90% of the time. So what does this have to do with anything? I have no idea. I'm a moron and safe moist as dudes. But I'm also very interested in seeing what the TU changes or adds to the game.

I miss chaotic big team mayhem. These days it's just getting banshee'd.

Oh also finally got that stupid double kill from the grave achievement tonight. =/

Devolution said:
I miss chaotic big team mayhem. These days it's just getting banshee'd.

Oh also finally got that stupid double kill from the grave achievement tonight. =/

I still need that achievement. :(

I need more HaloGAFers on my Friends list - add me people! GT: Sikamikanico

stephen08

Having played each Halo game as they came out I think that Reach is the definitive Halo as they portrayed it in the ViDoc. That's not to say the game is perfect, none of the Halo games have been. Each has their strengths and weaknesses and I'm sure Halo 4 will be the same. People will have things they miss about Reach same as always. Taking all the games as they are though I would absolutely place Reach above the rest in both Campaign and Multiplayer.

I think there is this tendency to focus only on the good aspects of the past titles and compare the current title against some amalgamation of all of the best aspects of the previous titles. Having gone back and played Halo 3 not too long ago I can say there are a number of subtle things that Reach does and stuff it left behind that make Reach the better game. It was the same with Halo 2 once 3 came out.

Ken

stephen08 said:
I would absolutely place Reach above the rest in both Campaign...

I enjoyed Halo: CE's campaign a lot more than Halo: Reach's.

Ending CE's campaign with the Warthog run was amazing.
halo-maw.jpg

Ending Reach's campaigning in a lackluster turret sequence wasn't amazing, and Lone Wolf doesn't make up for it.
HaloReach_-_Mass_Driver_Cannon.jpg

Through both my Reach play throughs, I never once thought any stage was as good as Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, or Truth and Reconciliation. Reach didn't have a terrible campaign, but it wasn't the best of all the Halo campaigns in my opinion.

stephen08

This is sort of the thing I am talking about. You are talking about only the high points of CE and what you consider the weaker points of Reach. Nowhere did you mention the atrocities such as Keyes or the Library. Likewise, nowhere were the high points Long Night of Solace or New Alexandria mentioned. Comparing these games for the purpose of determining the best overall title needs to be done with the whole game in mind.

I'll agree that Halo 1 had the better ending sequence though not by as much as you make it out to be. Cartographer and AotCR were great but so was LNoS, Alexandria, and ONI Swordbase.

Gui_PT

Devin Olsen said:
Good to have you back Tashi.

Can we all start making proper plans for a GAF/PAX get together? I was thinking a breakfast again, and maybe meet up after pax one of the nights and go out for dinner/drinks?

Ideas?

You promised me a signed poster! I haven't forgotten!

Ken

stephen08 said:
This is sort of the thing I am talking about. You are talking about only the high points of CE and what you consider the weaker points of Reach. Nowhere did you mention the atrocities such as Keyes or the Library. Likewise, nowhere were the high points Long Night of Solace or New Alexandria mentioned. Comparing these games for the purpose of determining the best overall title needs to be done with the whole game in mind.

I'll agree that Halo 1 had the better ending sequence though not by as much as you make it out to be. Cartographer and AotCR were great but so was LNoS, Alexandria, and ONI Swordbase.
Long Night of Solace and New Alexandria were hardly "high points" of Reach.

In Long Night of Solace, you had a short battle uphill towards a launch facility with one Elite inside, followed by the Sabre mini-game of "cannons for Banshees, cannons and missiles for Seraphs, and left bumper when in trouble." Fighting through the Corvette was a simple A to B, cutscene, B to A mission through a very linear map. Also, the "damaged detonator" cliche was a terrible and obvious end to the mission.

New Alexandria was also rather disappointing. The majority of the mission was spent in the Falcon, with occasional Banshees and rooftop side missions to make the ride to each jammer bearable. Also, the Falcon isn't a terribly fun vehicle in the first place, and to create a mission around it seems like a waste.

ONi: Sword Base was alright, but it wasn't on the same level of fun as SC or AotCR.

I actually enjoyed Keyes and the three way battle between the Covenant, the Flood, and the player.

I'll give you Library as I never enjoyed that level in any way.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ken said:
I enjoyed Halo: CE's campaign a lot more than Halo: Reach's.

Ending CE's campaign with the Warthog run was amazing.
http://gamersushi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/halo-maw.jpg[img]

Ending Reach's campaigning in a lackluster turret sequence wasn't amazing, and Lone Wolf doesn't make up for it.
[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100913224916/halo/images/a/ac/HaloReach_-_Mass_Driver_Cannon.jpg[img]

Through both my Reach play throughs, I never once thought any stage was as good as Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, or Truth and Reconciliation. Reach didn't have a terrible campaign, but it wasn't the best of all the Halo campaigns in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't a turret sequence, it was blowing up a Covenant ship. You didn't do nearly anything as epic as that in all the other halo games by hand. Reach also had the mongoose sequence, which was just as good as the last part of CE.

stephen08 said:

Reach doesn't, er, reach the highs of Halo 1 or Halo 3 but it doesn't drop to the lows of either game.

From a story standpoint, Reach's ending, Lone Wolf, is far ahead of Halo 1's. If we're talking gameplay, Halo 1's Warthog run beats out Reach's MAC cannon and last stand.

Edit:
Ken said:
New Alexandria was also rather disappointing. The majority of the mission was spent in the Falcon, with occasional Banshees and rooftop side missions to make the ride to each jammer bearable. Also, the Falcon isn't a terribly fun vehicle in the first place, and to create a mission around it seems like a waste.
wat. The Falcon is the best controlled vehicle in the game. I know that's not saying much because I'm comparing it to Reach's vehicle's, but the Falcon genuinely handles really, really damn well. It's up there with the best vehicles in any of the other Halo games. Bungie nailed the Falcon controls.

GhaleonEB

LAUGHTREY said:
It wasn't a turret sequence, it was blowing up a Covenant ship. You didn't do nearly anything as epic as that in all the other halo games by hand. Reach also had the mongoose sequence, which was just as good as the last part of CE.
I hate the turret sequence, but the Mongoose run as good as Halo 1's Warthog run? Seriously? The most exciting thing in it is a gentle s-curve on a dirt road. Using the Mongoose was a terrible idea.

Ken said:
Wow. That's more Arena games than I have total across all seasons.
It's about 254 more than I have. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I hate the turret sequence, but the Mongoose run as good as Halo 1's Warthog run? Seriously? The most exciting thing in it is a gentle s-curve on a dirt road. Using the Mongoose was a terrible idea.
It's not as good as CE, but it's not a terrible idea, either. Part of me still loathes the end run at the end of CE because that game's Warthog was such a loose cannon. The Halo 3 end run was much better, imo.

FyreWulff

ODST's got the best ending. It has the Hog Run from Halo 1 down a highway that's really interesting to play, and a 'boss fight' of holding out, which is better than what Halo 2 tried to do.

In fact, I'd still say ODST has the best campaign. The best STORY is still Halo 2 for me.

Halo 1 had stinkers in Keyes, The Library, and The Maw. The vents "boss battle" in Halo 1 right before the hog run is just boring as hell.

I at least enjoy playing every level in a Halo game. Except for Keyes. There is nothing redeeming about Keyes. Would have easily been the most forgettable Halo campaign level if you hadn't punched Keyes in the face to get his chip near the end.

Best campaign level is The Armory from Halo 2, obviously.

FyreWulff said:
ODST's got the best ending. It has the Hog Run from Halo 1 down a highway that's really interesting to play, and a 'boss fight' of holding out, which is better than what Halo 2 tried to do.
I disagree with this. I just finished ODST, again, a couple of days ago and the highway part doesn't make for any interesting vehicle encounters. It's too linear, like you're on rail road tracks, and the amount of debris and clutter that litters the highway greatly limits your mobility. It would've worked better had it been a straight escape attempt like Halo 3 and Halo 1 rather than focusing on the combat.

And the holdout at the end isn't even the best one in the game – that honor belongs to NMPD HQ. In fact, that's the best holdout of the entire series by large margin. It's heart-pounding every time.

Ken

LAUGHTREY said:

Except you never get to see an explosion of a Covenant Cruiser and instead get the Cruiser somewhat on fire, slowly losing altitude, and is never seen again. It also ruined the image the Fall of Reach novel painted of how powerful these cruisers were. The UNSC should have slapped Mass Drivers on every Longsword in the fleet and Reach would have never fallen.

Also, it was a turret sequence.

The Mongoose sequence just had you holding forward on the analog stick, turning occasionally, while the Covenant politely dropped down on the side of the road.

@Dax

I won't disagree with you on the quality of the Falcon's controls but the Falcon still isn't a terribly exciting vehicle to have as the focus of an entire mission, in my opinion.

Dax01 said:
It would've worked better had it been a straight escape attempt like Halo 3 and Halo 1 rather than focusing on the combat.

And so Reach's Mongoose run came to be.

Sikamikanico said:
And don't get me started on the Tip of the Spear Warthog charge! What army would do that?!

The one that leaves Mass Drivers unused during a Covenant invasion and provides faulty timers on their bombs.

I don't hate the Reach Campaign, but some of the choices Bungie made seem a little weird in hindsight.

And don't get me started on the Tip of the Spear Warthog charge! What army would do that?!

LAUGHTREY said:
*jaw drops*
It's a turret sequence. A poor one. Practically a quick time event.
And the mongoose run, no, it's boring in comparison, and incredibly short. Perhaps if the Scarabs were actual bosses like in Halo 3, but they weren't.

Lone Wolf is fantastic, but that doesn't help. The entire second half of the last level is poor, they should have ended it a level sooner, have lone-wolf play out there.

Agree with Dax about ODST's ending too, found the mongoose run vanilla, then they trot out the scarab and my eyes roll off the screen. Felt the hold out was quite mediocre too, made the ending kind of jarring.

thezerofire said:
That's on the site. I'm in the game right now.

and getting on Reach, since playing Halo 3 alone isn't too much fun

Sorry I was long asleep when you started playing, im up for Halo 3 but im guessing timezones are going to be a problem.

I know a few people here are up for Halo 3, would anyone be up for a Halo 3 customs night? Im personally picturing some of the epic 4v4 games of MLG Pit Flag I had with Gaf years ago but I will gladly play anything. Getting enough people for customs might be hard, but it would be better than matchmaking.

Plywood said:

Agree pretty much 100% with this. Every time I complain about something I feel like im lowering the mood, so im just going to sidestep complaining from now on. All the same that doesnt mean I accept Reach, it just means I dont really play it much, and when I do I usually make up silly meta games to make it fun, like Coco's victory laps lol. Thats why I dont really play with gaf too much, I dont really like taking the game seriously.

So yeah im looking forward to the TU, but roll on Halo 4. :p

FyreWulff said:

In fact, I'd still say ODST has the best campaign. The best STORY is still Halo 2 for me.

Halo 1 had stinkers in Keyes, The Library, and The Maw. The vents "boss battle" in Halo 1 right before the hog run is just boring as hell.

I at least enjoy playing every level in a Halo game. Except for Keyes. There is nothing redeeming about Keyes. Would have easily been the most forgettable Halo campaign level if you hadn't punched Keyes in the face to get his chip near the end.

Best campaign level is The Armory from Halo 2, obviously.

I loved ODST, it seemed like they really cut the fluff and just a level for every fun element of Halo. I do still feel that the night city was a lost opportunity. If I could literally free roam that city and stalk the Covenant Predator style ODST would never leave my disk tray.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hitmonchan107 said:
You're going to be in Orlando?! I'm going to make a sign and support Team Tashi. (When is the Orlando date? I'll seriously go if it's sometime after September.)

All of this talk is getting me so excited for Halo Fest.

It's in October

Dax01 said:
wat. The Falcon is the best controlled vehicle in the game. I know that's not saying much because I'm comparing it to Reach's vehicle's, but the Falcon genuinely handles really, really damn well. It's up there with the best vehicles in any of the other Halo games. Bungie nailed the Falcon controls.

No, it's better than the hornet, but the best? Not really, that accolade belongs to the ghost in reach. Never have i ever heard anything but praise for that vehicle. Followed closely by the wraith.

Hypertrooper said:
I would like to know that too. I guess there will be no drinks for me. Your American Laws forbid me to drink alcohol. lol.

Damn. I have to get back to my normal sleep patterns. GamesCom next week. So Tha Robbsters you will be there on Friday? I don't know if I come on that day.

Yep, we're only going that day. The train tickets from here are a bit expensive and our parents wouldn't be to happy if we stayed in a hotel :p

Striker

I really like the Falcon, but when Bungie called it the Warthog of the sky and we later find out we cannot ride passenger for CTF and Bomb, I wanted to slap somebody.

PNut said:
Done with Arena after 255 games this season. I really gave it my best shot too, but Jetpackers and terrible asymmetrical maps not suited for competitive play have done me in. My team and I tried to "adapt", but all the randomness is just too much to bear anymore. Just not fun. Hats off to all kids that don't let all that get in the way and continue to play it and have fun.
I know you're a big Halo 3 fan, so I'm asking if you thought Halo 3 Ranked Team Slayer offered appropriate competitive Slayer settings?

When I re-think back to Team Slayer, I have the hazing memory of getting AR's on countless maps, even large. Assault Rifle starts plagued that playlist and made it boring and un-fun. That's one thing Arena does right, weapon starts. I agree with you about maps and weapon locales - no reason Countdown should have its set amount, as should Reflection and Boardwalk. I wouldn't place them anywhere beneath the crud we found in Ranked Slayer previously: Blackout, Narrows, Isolation (awful Regen spam ftw), Snowbound, default Foundry, and Construct. All terrible maps, only made worse by AR starts. Guardian was a solid map, but it was not a good map for AR starts, neither. It resulted in a cat and mouse crouch walk game which resulted in a snoozefest. Standoff? AR starts! Last Resort? AR starts! I didn't even mind some SMG starts in Halo 2 because it offered a decent defend set when you can pick up a Plasma Rifle or Magnum. The AR made me feel handicapped.

Funny enough, I also believe we had SMASHED in Ranked Slayer. That was horrifying...

Striker said:
I really like the Falcon, but when Bungie called it the Warthog of the sky and we later find out we cannot ride passenger for CTF and Bomb, I wanted to slap somebody.

I know you're a big Halo 3 fan, so I'm asking if you thought Halo 3 Ranked Team Slayer offered appropriate competitive Slayer settings?

When I re-think back to Team Slayer, I have the hazing memory of getting AR's on countless maps, even large. Assault Rifle starts plagued that playlist and made it boring and un-fun. That's one thing Arena does right, weapon starts. I agree with you about maps and weapon locales - no reason Countdown should have its set amount, as should Reflection and Boardwalk. I wouldn't place them anywhere beneath the crud we found in Ranked Slayer previously: Blackout, Narrows, Isolation (awful Regen spam ftw), Snowbound, default Foundry, and Construct. All terrible maps, only made worse by AR starts. Guardian was a solid map, but it was not a good map for AR starts, neither. It resulted in a cat and mouse crouch walk game which resulted in a snoozefest. Standoff? AR starts! Last Resort? AR starts! I didn't even mind some SMG starts in Halo 2 because it offered a decent defend set when you can pick up a Plasma Rifle or Magnum. The AR made me feel handicapped.

Funny enough, I also believe we had SMASHED in Ranked Slayer. That was horrifying...

Why turn this into a discussion about Halo 3? He was talking about the Arena. That said Halo 3 had its fair share of bad gametypes but at least the gameplay was good once you had a BR in your hands (I know you will disagree with this), sure there where a lot of campy games but the games which where action packed were a LOT of fun.

With Reach the problems cant be solved with better matchmaking settings. I think there are fundamental problems with the gameplay AND the arena system itself which makes it less fun.

Hell at least now the arena is more team oriented. When Reach first came out I went into the Arena with friends and within 3 games we had adapted to the more selfish playstyle that was required to suceed during the individual rating system, call outs where not made, power weapons where whored, assists where not given lol. When we realised how pathetic it was we switched back to Halo 3.

The Arena is a lot better now but im still not a fan of how unclear it is. The bad gameplay is topped off by a ranking system which is pretty difficult to guage against.

EDIT: Smashed is the lowlight of Halo 3 for me, I remember losing my 50 on it and then it took soooo many games to get it back. Hate that map with a passion, it really was just pure camping, with the added flavour of random spawns.

I know your not a fan of Halo 3 but taking every Reach complaint and saying it was just as bad in Halo 3 doesnt really help matters. How would you improve these problems in Reach or future Halo games?

Striker

Because there's countless posters repeatedly posting about bad spawns, random weapons (hello Halo 3 BR), luck armor abiliies (hello bubble shield and regen), and so on, as if it did not happen previously. There's people in here who act like bad spawns, weapon whoring, bad maps or bad gametypes are new to Halo in Reach. Influx of terrible teammates? For me it has been, but that's a different conversation.

People may not like Arena with Jetpack (I personally found Evade more insulting until it got removed), its maps, and power weapons, but it has a rifle start which is a strong suit for itself over previous ranked games of Halo. Both Halo 3 and Halo Reach have poor inclusions in its ranked Slayer playlists, namely not developing more creative game settings for weapon starts and abilities, and both had a large share of putrid maps included.

It's a subjective situation where PNut himself insisted "Hats off to all kids that don't let all that get in the way and continue to play it and have fun", which is fine - and simply, why I asked if he felt the same regarding Halo 3 (he has noted time and time again how Halo 3 near perfect game, so I am curious to his comparisons and thoughts), because I found that worse and mentioned why.

Striker said:
Because there's countless posters repeatedly posting about bad spawns, random weapons (hello Halo 3 BR), luck armor abiliies (hello bubble shield and regen), and so on, as if it did not happen previously. There's people in here who act like bad spawns, weapon whoring, bad maps or bad gametypes are new to Halo in Reach. Influx of terrible teammates? For me it has been, but that's a different conversation.

People may not like Arena with Jetpack (I personally found Evade more insulting until it got removed), its maps, and power weapons, but it has a rifle start which is a strong suit for itself over previous ranked games of Halo. Both Halo 3 and Halo Reach have poor inclusions in its ranked Slayer playlists, namely not developing more creative game settings for weapon starts and abilities, and both had a large share of putrid maps included.

It's a subjective situation where PNut himself insisted "Hats off to all kids that don't let all that get in the way and continue to play it and have fun", which is fine - and simply, why I asked if he felt the same regarding Halo 3 (he has noted time and time again how Halo 3 near perfect game, so I am curious to his comparisons and thoughts), because I found that worse and mentioned why.

You say its not new, some others say it is new. Who cares ultimately its a problem and people have a right to bitch about them whether they are new or not. Whether the problems are new or not is a whole nother discussion, but my point is ok there are clear problems with the Arena, how would you fix them?

Im personally hoping 343 go back to a Halo 2/3 system with Halo 4. As for the gameplay itself thats a beaten horse and im sure there are hundreds of posts which explain that side of things. Halo 3 might have had its fair share of problems but for the sum of its parts it worked well. For every crappy game of Smashed I played I played 3 good games where the combat was fun. In my opinion the core gameplay was good, but as you say sometimes weapon/ equipment placement could have ruined a map.

Top Bottom