• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Zeouterlimits said:
Guessing, that kind of like Play.com, the so called cheap delivery is factored into the price of the shirt itself.
Ah well.
Nah it isnt! The normal t-shirt are 14.40€. I think these are Fruit Of the Loom T-shirts(Because their size is a mix between AA and Gildan. Otherwise I ordered a t-shirt a few years ago and it was FotL too.) FotL T-shirts have a better quality than Gildan.
The 20.40€ is only a choose if you size is more than 2XL. I don't know, how fat you became in the last year, Zeouterlimits :/

Otherwise $17.40~12.50€. A 2€ RipOff. But we are living in a time, where a game costs $59.99(~42€) in America, in Europe it costs 59.99€

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:
Nah it isnt! The normal t-shirt are 14.40€. I think these are Fruit Of the Loom T-shirts(Because their size is a mix between AA and Gildan. Otherwise I ordered a t-shirt a few years ago and it was FotL too.) FotL T-shirts have a better quality than Gildan.
The 20.40€ is only a choose if you size is more than 2XL. I don't know, how fat you became in the last year, Zeouterlimits :/

A few years back, I bought a Snakes on a Plane tshirt, FoTL as you are mentioning and wasn't very please because the tshirt was very "thick". They're no all like that, right? I assume they have smoother material they work with?

PooBone

Devolution said:
Good to know. Halo really gets my sarcastic streak goin' sometimes I swear.
You need to be on my Friends List. I still remember the hardest I ever laughed at a video game. I was playing Halo 2 with my buddy on Ascension and this guys jumps just high enough to have his head peek over a ledge where he's waiting with a shotgun. He blows his face off and the guy falls over the edge of the map and my friend says "Way to jump, Mario." I fuckin died.

You'd probably have had to be there though. :-/

PooBone

thezerofire said:
Shadow Complex
:( Unfortunately as good as I hear that game is I haven't played it and won't play it due to my own personal belief that Orson Scott Card deserves not a cent of mine. Only game I've ever not bought strictly out of a moral dilemma. (not that I judge anyone else for buying and enjoying it though)

Louis Wu

Karl2177 said:
So anyone can kill anyone. It's not fun if you're not winning, and if you're not winning you aren't good. Now anyone can win, because they fill the game with fluff and as a result anyone can have fun.

It's backwards logic, but I'm under the impression that is how some devs think. Not to bash on Black Ops, but that game is one of the worst with it.
Man, I HATE that I don't find time to read GAF in the late evenings; I miss these discussions when they're actually happening, and have to come late to the party. But I gotta say... I was sad to read that whole "why can't it all just be BRs?" talk last night.

Now, I'm not big on Armor Abilities (I'm not AGAINST them, but I use Sprint 95% of the time personally), and the DMR is my competitive tool of destruction by a huge margin (nearly 4x the kills of my next weapon)... but I LOVE that there's variety. I LOVE games like this:

an_elegant_variety.png

18 kills, and my tool of destruction accounted for just 4 of them. I LIKE that!

I dunno. I guess I just ENJOY Reach. :)

FyreWulff said:
edit: also I guess I will collate and gather all the questions and responses together for people who don't want to go through the HBO forum thread after he says he's done.
lol - no need, it's already done. I'm just waiting for him to finish up before posting it. :)

Tawpgun

stephen08 said:
Having played each Halo game as they came out I think that Reach is the definitive Halo as they portrayed it in the ViDoc. That's not to say the game is perfect, none of the Halo games have been. Each has their strengths and weaknesses and I'm sure Halo 4 will be the same. People will have things they miss about Reach same as always. Taking all the games as they are though I would absolutely place Reach above the rest in both Campaign and Multiplayer.

I think there is this tendency to focus only on the good aspects of the past titles and compare the current title against some amalgamation of all of the best aspects of the previous titles. Having gone back and played Halo 3 not too long ago I can say there are a number of subtle things that Reach does and stuff it left behind that make Reach the better game. It was the same with Halo 2 once 3 came out.

I agree with the bolded statement. Going back to play Halo 3 the first thing I noticed was the sound design was HORRIBLE. Not gameplay breaking but it felt really muffled and stale. Non-Hitscan was annoying and I missed it from Reach. Netcode was worse as well.

However...There is no way Reach is as balanced nor as fun as the other Multiplayer offerings. Going from Reach to Halo 3 is hard because I miss hitscan, the netcode, the better sound... But I can say right now, I definitely had a LOT more fun on Halo 3 than I'm having on Reach. Every game in Reach has some bullshit to complain about.

Most games on Halo 3 were fine granted they were BR starts. I'd complain about AR starts in H3 all day. Lag happens in every multiplayer game so I accepted it. Halo 3 was still fine in terms of latency the vast majority of the time.

People bitched about vehicle power, but I loved vehicles and with the introduction of something as bullshit as the laser, we needed vehicles to be somewhat scary.

People bitched about BR spread (and I do see it now more than ever...) but I never had a problem with it.

Reach does many things better, but as far as PURE GAMEPLAY is concerned, meaning eliminating any of the unintentional problems like lag, bugs, cheating.... Reach doesn't hold up well. They patched up all those problems and made a more consistent experience and I love it for that. Unfortunately that consistency is miles behind Halo 2 and 3 in terms of gameplay design. I just think the things Reach did wrong outweigh all it did right.

I just remember coming home from school, popping in Halo 3, and being able to play almost all the playlists and alone at that.

With Reach I refuse to play anything unless we get a party for TO, Squad, or Premium Battle.

As for campaign? Really? I liked it on my first playthrough but once that amazement wore off it was kind of... stale. It felt like a bunch of weird and stupid decisions and missed opportunities. Not to mention story speaking, it broke established canon and that was annoying to see happen.

The story was a huge missed opportunity. They portrayed it as a tragedy. I wanted to feel angry at the covenant. I wanted to feel despair at fighting a battle you know you're going to lose. I wanted to have a better connection to my damn fucking squad. None of that ever happened.

Gameplay wise, it was scaled down. I remember seeing that global battle concept, Desert War, Space Combat with the actual big ships flying around as well at a PAX Panel... and all that never happened. It was a bunch of skirmishes and button pushing. Tip of the Spear had the biggest battles but they were still relatively small. The opening of Long Night of Solace was the only point where I felt like this is a huge invading army. But all that was happening because of the seraph assault, drop ship formations flying by, and drop pods landing everywhere. And only the drop pods affected gameplay.

I was disappoint with Reach. The only reason I play it is because the netcode is really good and I've gotten used to the gameplay, and I was burnt out on Halo 3 after playing it for 3 years.

Hopefully Halo 4 will redeem.

LAUGHTREY said:
It wasn't a turret sequence, it was blowing up a Covenant ship. You didn't do nearly anything as epic as that in all the other halo games by hand. Reach also had the mongoose sequence, which was just as good as the last part of CE.
Please tell me this is a troll.

Louis Wu said:

lmao. I can already tell that was played on Countdown.

brb, gonna go fix that map in forge right now.

As for your variety arguement, I'd like variety too, but not if it means littering power weapons all over the map. My ideal Halo gameplay is based around precision weapon starts. You use them to fight for control of the map and control of the POWER weapons. These are the weapons that are vital in swinging the game to your favor. The game is a constant flow of controlling map points, assaulting map set ups, and fighting for the Power Weapons/items.

But then what about all those weapons like the plasma rifle, and needler and stuff.

Keep needler how it is, its already super powerful. But if you want to make the other weapons viable they need to be significantly useful in a certain way. Bring back the stun on plasma weapons. Remove the fluff weapons.

PooBone said:
It's wednesday, where is it? Damn PAX is still so far away.
He meant something different.
Otherwise the bulletin is coming today, but it is 7am right now in Washington.The bulletin is coming in the afternoon the most times.

About the campaign discussion:
Halo: Reach missions are good, but if I compare them with the other campaigns, Reach is one the last place. Halo: CE and Halo 3 have an awesome level design and the combat scenes are perfect enacted. Just play the Levels Halo(CE), Tsavo Highway, TSC, The Covenant or The Ark. Halo 2’s campaign is the best in terms of storytelling. The most of the cut scenes are amazing. People hated the ending, but if you ask me, it did his purpose. After Halo 2 I wanted Halo 3. Yeah it was rushed, but it was fucking epic. The only problem I have with this game, it is the: Oh yeah look at this scenario, look at it. But yeah you can’t explore it. Halo 2 faked the feeling of open world. But the story more than compensate for the limited level-design. Halo 3: ODST tried something unique. The exploration of NM is awesome. I would love more encounter in these streets, but you can’t have everything. The flashback sequences aren’t so good than Halo 3, but better than Reach. Lost Platoon has better vehicle combat sequence than every Reach mission. The firefight sequences are better designed than Reach’s. In Reach I have the feelings ”Urgh Another firefight. Crap.”. They were too long and too boring designed.

But now about the last mission. ODST’s last mission gave me the feeling: New Mombasa is doomed. Covenant cruisers are flying above your head. Scarabs are moving into the center of the New Mombasa. At the beginning of the mission, they don’t give you any attention. You’re just an ODST. Not the Master Chief. They don’t give a fuck. Except at the end of the level they give you all the attention you don't want, after you killed a lot of covenant units. In my opinion Reach’s last mission should deliver the same feeling: Reach is doomed. No No. The whole campaign should have given me this feeling. Except for Exodus and NA I never got this vibe in the campaign. The Mongoose run is boring. Why didn’t they do a Warthog Gauss run? You know, on the way to the Pillar Of Autumns, the Covenant could throw a lot of Scarabs, Wraiths at your way. So you would get a lot of awesome vehicle combat moments on the paper. The only good thing of the last Mission is to see Cpt. Keyes again and the Pillar Of The Autumn in the background. The firefight scene is maybe the worst combat experience I had in every Halo game. 1/3 of the level was this damn firefight. You even don’t have good enough weapons for this fight. Assault Rifle against a Brute Chieftain? Yeah thanks Bungie. Otherwise the Epilogue “Lone Wolf” is maybe one of the best Experience or the most emotional experience. Reach is doomed, you can’t do everything against it. Now you are the last one left. Take out many enemies as possible. And then you see how your Spartan gets impaled. My feeling was: Yeah Noble 6, you did your job well. I would love to see the area of Lone Wolf as a Firefight map. Otherwise Halo: CE’s Warthog run is still the best final campaign moment. Exploding everywhere, covenant units that try to run away or to stop you and then the three sides fight. Unique.

PooBone

LAUGHTREY said:
It wasn't a turret sequence, it was blowing up a Covenant ship. You didn't do nearly anything as epic as that in all the other halo games by hand. Reach also had the mongoose sequence, which was just as good as the last part of CE.
Arnie_true_lies.gif

Tawpgun

k, so for fixed countdown I added lights to both sides so you know where the fuck you are. Still can't believe Bungie didn't color code the sides of the map...

Sword was replaced with Sniper. Countdown has some nice sightlines.

But I'm not sure what to do with Concussion and Shotgun. I feel the shotgun just promotes camping up top so I feel like removing it. But I still kind of want something down there.
At the same time I'm not sure if I want a concussion rifle up top, but I still think there should be something there to fight over. I don't want a power weapon overload though, which is what countdown already is.

Was thinking about adding rockets though.... And if Reach MP would accept it I totally would just add an Overshield to fight for, but of course Reach felt as though Overshields didn't belong in Halo Multiplayer. Instead we have Armor Lock...

A27 Tawpgun said:
k, so for fixed countdown I added lights to both sides so you know where the fuck you are. Still can't believe Bungie didn't color code the sides of the map...

But I'm not sure what to do with Concussion and Shotgun. I feel the shotgun just promotes camping up top so I feel like removing it. But I still kind of want something down there.
At the same time I'm not sure if I want a concussion rifle up top, but I still think there should be something there to fight over. I don't want a power weapon overload though, which is what countdown already is.

Was thinking about adding rockets though.... And if Reach MP would accept it I totally would just add an Overshield to fight for, but of course Reach felt as though Overshields didn't belong in Halo Multiplayer. Instead we have Armor Lock...

Cant you add a overshield with custom powerup and the gametype settings

Louis Wu

Gah, nearly forgot.

Our shirt is up for preorder ($10 + shipping). This round will only last until Thursday, because Kanbo wants to be able to get these to people before PAX.

Check that link for shipping costs (including international), among other things.

And remember - we're not making any money on this. If we DO take in more than the shirts cost, the remainder will go to the Bungie Foundation.

Louis Wu said:
Gah, nearly forgot.

Our shirt is up for preorder ($10 + shipping). This round will only last until Thursday, because Kanbo wants to be able to get these to people before PAX.

Check that link for shipping costs (including international), among other things.

And remember - we're not making any money on this. If we DO take in more than the shirts cost, the remainder will go to the Bungie Foundation.
Yeah I saw that on the Front Page and wondered if it had been posted here... I was on my iPad though so copy/pasting url's and what'not is kind of a pain so I never bothered to post about that.

I pre-ordered mine (Grey coloured shirt) and am excited to (hopefully) get it in time for PAX.

Thanks for setting this is for us.

ElRenoRaven

Ken said:
I enjoyed Halo: CE's campaign a lot more than Halo: Reach's.

Ending CE's campaign with the Warthog run was amazing.
http://gamersushi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/halo-maw.jpg[img]

Ending Reach's campaigning in a lackluster turret sequence wasn't amazing, and Lone Wolf doesn't make up for it.
[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100913224916/halo/images/a/ac/HaloReach_-_Mass_Driver_Cannon.jpg[img]

Through both my Reach play throughs, I never once thought any stage was as good as Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, or Truth and Reconciliation. Reach didn't have a terrible campaign, but it wasn't the best of all the Halo campaigns in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I loved Reach but I do agree that the the shooting the cruiser bit was kind of a sour note. If anything I would have combined Lone Wolf with that level. You could have had the Mass Driver bit still. But then have him go ahead and get on the Pelican that stayed for a bit to help fight off some Covenant. Then have him get on with them and part way to the POA it gets rocked by a Banshee from behind. Then to save the Pelican you can have Noble 6 jump from the back onto the Banshee. He fights with the driver and it ends up crashing where surprise Lone Wolf takes place. As he gets up he sees the Pelican make it to the POA and it takes off as he realizes he's on his own. Hell even have some of those Spartans, marines, etc there so that it's an epic battle and slowly you see them die and then bam. It's him on his own.

That I think would have made a more epic ending. Just my opinion anyway.

Played the Ark on a whim last night. So good. Bungie did a pretty damn good job of making it so Legendary players have to constantly shuffle through the game's arsenal. Don't get me wrong, I love working my way through Halo 1 with a pistol on hand at all times (except on T & R of course), but Halo 3 presents the need to adapt to weapons with much smaller ammo reserves. It is a lot of fun taking down Wraiths with a plasma pistol or using four different guns to finish that last Brute encounter. I'm also pretty sure this playthrough was the first time I've ever managed to take down a Scarab with the Chopper (why was this removed for Reach again?) And all of this gushing hasn't even touched on the tank runs yet - remember when the tank could look in a different direction than it was moving? Fun stuff.

EDIT: Stoked about the HBO shirts, Wu, thanks! Gonna go on a GAF/HBO shopping spree here pretty soon I think.

HiredN00bs said:
lybertyboy said "release the hounds"

your avatar

Having to explain it kind of ruins it.
Oh. Derp.

That would have actually been pretty funny had I actually considered the possibility of someone referring to my avatar.

Kudos.

stephen08 said:
Having played each Halo game as they came out I think that Reach is the definitive Halo as they portrayed it in the ViDoc. That's not to say the game is perfect, none of the Halo games have been. Each has their strengths and weaknesses and I'm sure Halo 4 will be the same. People will have things they miss about Reach same as always. Taking all the games as they are though I would absolutely place Reach above the rest in both Campaign and Multiplayer.
The only thing I will miss about Reach will be if they don't put the Grenade Launcher in Halo 4. And put it back to Beta settings. That's it.

PooBone said:
:( Unfortunately as good as I hear that game is I haven't played it and won't play it due to my own personal belief that Orson Scott Card deserves not a cent of mine. Only game I've ever not bought strictly out of a moral dilemma. (not that I judge anyone else for buying and enjoying it though)
what's wrong with Orson Scott Card? And the story isn't the point anyway, it's just a really good Metroidvania game.

Syracuse022 said:
Played the Ark on a whim last night. So good. Bungie did a pretty damn good job of making it so Legendary players have to constantly shuffle through the game's arsenal. Don't get me wrong, I love working my way through Halo 1 with a pistol on hand at all times (except on T & R of course), but Halo 3 presents the need to adapt to weapons with much smaller ammo reserves. It is a lot of fun taking down Wraiths with a plasma pistol or using four different guns to finish that last Brute encounter. I'm also pretty sure this playthrough was the first time I've ever managed to take down a Scarab with the Chopper (why was this removed for Reach again?) And all of this gushing hasn't even touched on the tank runs yet - remember when the tank could look in a different direction than it was moving? Fun stuff.

EDIT: Stoked about the HBO shirts, Wu, thanks! Gonna go on a GAF/HBO shopping spree here pretty soon I think.
The Ark is one of the best Halo levels bar none.

PooBone

thezerofire said:
what's wrong with Orson Scott Card? And the story isn't the point anyway, it's just a really good Metroidvania game.
It's not that I consider him a bad writer, it's that he, (and a good portion of the staff at Chair who licensed his fictional Empire universe) is an extreme anti-gay activist who believes Americans should raise arms against anyone who wants to express their love for someone of the same sex legally.

Gui_PT

Devin Olsen said:
Thanks for the reminder.

Worst case scenario I will personally sign a poster and send it your way ;).

Hey yeah, HaloGAF autographs would also be awesome to have =P

Again, sorry for asking but I just don't have -and never will- enough money to visit one of those things, unfortunately =\

PooBone said:
It's not that I consider him a bad writer, it's that he, (and a good portion of the staff at Chair who licensed his fictional Empire universe) is an extreme anti-gay activist who believes Americans should raise arms against anyone who wants to express their love for someone of the same sex legally.
oh. bummer. that's a shame, it's a sweet game

Going to try Halo 3 again when we next have people over for split-screen. "Why are we playing this and not just Halo 3?" came up when we were trying to pick a gametype/map for four of us.

PooBone said:

I wish I had known about OSC's involvement before I bought the game. That the developers share his worldview makes it even worse. :(

EDIT: Not sure Chair supports the same views as OSC; just reading some commentary from when the game came out.

Tawpgun

PooBone said:
Wow really? I love the Enders Game books. This is kind of disappointing... first I heard of it.

Louis Wu said:
Gah, nearly forgot.

That shirt makes me wish I posted on hbo. Very cool.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
You say its not new, some others say it is new. Who cares ultimately its a problem and people have a right to bitch about them whether they are new or not. Whether the problems are new or not is a whole nother discussion, but my point is ok there are clear problems with the Arena, how would you fix them?
Maybe that's how you're viewing the posts, but I look at it as "omg these spawns in Reach are so bad, f you Forge World!". It can be far worse in Halo 3 on maps like Narrows, default Foundry, or High Ground where guys spawn two feet behind you. Either way both games have had the worst spawning in my experience online in Halo and I've been playing since '04. Not sure if I blame Forge for their spawns, or it's just Bungie's by design, either way they're terrible ones.

bobs99 ... said:
Im personally hoping 343 go back to a Halo 2/3 system with Halo 4. As for the gameplay itself thats a beaten horse and im sure there are hundreds of posts which explain that side of things. Halo 3 might have had its fair share of problems but for the sum of its parts it worked well. For every crappy game of Smashed I played I played 3 good games where the combat was fun. In my opinion the core gameplay was good, but as you say sometimes weapon/ equipment placement could have ruined a map.
Well, Halo 2 and Halo 3 are pretty different in gunplay, walking speed, melee, etc., unless you're basically simplifying this as wanting bleed-thru melee, health related to the player in vehicle, not the vehicle itself, or whatever. Because they are quite in many ways which is why I enjoyed Halo 2 far more than 3, and it wasn't solely based on 2's superior maps and gametype settings.

J-Roderton

A27 Tawpgun said:

Replace Concussion with Sniper, Sword with Rockets. Sniper has the long sight lines up top and the rockets get the wide open middle/back area. Aside from that, Overshield would be the shit. I think it would be nice to add these that way, especially since there are symmetrical spawns and map layout.

PooBone said:
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying all this just because he opposes the legalization of same-sex marriage? That's not quite the same as "taking arms" or being an "extreme anti-gay activist".

Edit: A little googling and I see that:

1) He's a Mormon
2) He is an activist

So yeah, that's a winning combination.

Risen

bobs99 ... said:
Im personally hoping 343 go back to a Halo 2/3 system with Halo 4..

I'd really like to see a return to ranks as opposed to divisions... or incorporate them somehow; win and you go up, lose and you go down.

The Halo 2/3 ranking system, to my mind, better reflected all those intangibles that make up wins and losses within a team. Communication, movement, positioning at any given moment, clutch plays, helping place shots, etc... the numbered rank really did a good job of reflecting your relative skill in a team based game. Of course there are those that manipulated the system, and my statement above does not mean a 50 is a 50 is a 50... there were different kinds of 50's just as there are different kinds of Onyx.

I know the calculations were changed for division placement... and for the better, but assists are still calculated incorrectly in order to show their importance within the team. The difference between good and very good teams, many times is in their team shot. Honestly if I help someone get a kill within a specified amount of time, that's an Assist... the previous systems did a much better job at reflecting this.

I'd also like to see a return of Shots Fired and Hit Percentage return...

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying all this just because he opposes the legalization of same-sex marriage? That's not quite the same as "taking arms" or being an "extreme anti-gay activist".
From Wikipedia.

In 2006, one day before the 2006 midterm elections in the United States, Card wrote an opinion piece for RealClearPolitics, in which he (while being a Democrat) encouraged voters to support the Republicans.[20] In another article written for the Mormon Times, he voiced strong condemnation of any government that recognized gay marriage stating, "Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down..."[21] In 2009, Card became a member of the board of directors of the National Organization for Marriage, a group that seeks to prevent the legalization of same-sex marriage.[22] Card has called for laws against homosexual behaviour to "remain on the books",[23] and a return to the "strong society" of pre-1960s America.[24]

If you want to make Countdown better, make a way to jump from the back of the map to the top, other than taking those two lifts

hm, maybe put a ramp from there to a platform at the top and middle of the map, which then can access each side top, in addition to where sword usually is. I'm not sure if you can picture what I'm thinking...

A27 Tawpgun said:
From Wikipedia.

In 2006, one day before the 2006 midterm elections in the United States, Card wrote an opinion piece for RealClearPolitics, in which he (while being a Democrat) encouraged voters to support the Republicans.[20] In another article written for the Mormon Times, he voiced strong condemnation of any government that recognized gay marriage stating, "Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down..."[21] In 2009, Card became a member of the board of directors of the National Organization for Marriage, a group that seeks to prevent the legalization of same-sex marriage.[22] Card has called for laws against homosexual behaviour to "remain on the books",[23] and a return to the "strong society" of pre-1960s America.[24]
I would've bolded the last sentence. I think even most religious opponents to legalizing same-sex marriage wouldn't advocate keeping anti-sodomy laws on the books.

http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html <- This is the article, written by Card, that is referenced in that line of the Wiki page. I started reading it, but have not yet finished.

"No act of violence is ever appropriate to protect Christianity from those who would rob it of its meaning. None of us are without sin -- the casting of stones is not our duty or our privilege. All that must ever be done to answer them is to declare the truth, and to deny them the right to call themselves Latter-day Saints while proclaiming their false doctrine. Even as Christ freed from her accusers the woman taken in adultery, he told her, Go and sin no more"

The guy is a religious idealogue, but he's not a militant hatemonger. It seems to me that some homosexual activisits make these type of ad hominem attacks. Be wary.

PooBone

CrudeDiatribe said:
I wish I had known about OSC's involvement before I bought the game. That the developers share his worldview makes it even worse. :(

EDIT: Not sure Chair supports the same views as OSC; just reading some commentary from when the game came out.
I'm not trying to de-rail this thread into an anti-anti-gay bash, particularly when it relates to a game that isn't Halo, but Chair is run by Donald and Laura Mustard, both of Salt Lake City, Utah, both devout Mormons and BYU alumni, just like OSC, and don't forget they also worked with him on Advent Rising. And my own views of various religions aside, I am not trying to say Mormons are all homophobic or bad people, but at the end of the day money spent on Shadow Complex is money in a homophobe's pocket, and no doubt some of it will be spent on efforts to end legal gay marriage or perhaps research ways to eliminate their "reproductive disorder." Just look at Michelle Bachman's husband, (obviously a gay man) who runs an unlicensed Christian clinic guaranteed to "pray away the gay." There is no praying away the gay, but you can torture a closet case, sometimes to death.

But like I said before and want to reiterate, I am not judging anyone who buys and enjoys the game. This is just my own personal convictions telling me that doing so from my standpoint would be wrong.

stephen08

@Tawpgun

It's going to be up for individual preference but at least you are acknowledging the flaws of Halo 3. Too many times on this board have I seen people say Halo 2 was the best MP totally omitting things that were broken like the plasma pistol tracking, or the rampancy of modding.

Until Reach 3 was my favorite for multiplayer. But I would absolutely place Reach above 3 because of hitscan, single shot primary weapon, the way it reads visually, and while I don't feel super strongly about AA's I find them a lot less annoying than someone whipping out a Regenerator and living through an encounter, the Magnum is so awesome in Reach so much so that AR starts are not really a big deal.

So as not to fall victim to my own statement there are things about Reach I have an intense dislike for most notably Armor Lock. I think I can say it is by far the worst thing to be put in to a Halo game ever. I like that the vehicles have their own health independent of the player but they seem a little too weak to DMR fire. Also the Hog feels like needs it to be a little more grounded in general. It's a little bit light and tends to flip moreso than the H3 hog. There are sandbox omissions I miss too. The chopper and missile pod most notably are two things I wish were still part of the sandbox. The banshee also needs a longer cooldown on the flips and bomb.

But keeping in mind that I have to choose a game at the end of the day I choose Reach when I am looking to play some Halo. To me, it is the definitive Halo game at this point in time.

PooBone

stephen08 said:
@Tawpgun

It's going to be up for individual preference but at least you are acknowledging the flaws of Halo 3. Too many times on this board have I seen people say Halo 2 was the best MP totally omitting things that were broken like the plasma pistol tracking, or the rampancy of modding.

Until Reach 3 was my favorite for multiplayer. But I would absolutely place Reach above 3 because of hitscan, single shot primary weapon, the way it reads visually, and while I don't feel super strongly about AA's I find them a lot less annoying than someone whipping out a Regenerator and living through an encounter, the Magnum is so awesome in Reach so much so that AR starts are not really a big deal.

So as not to fall victim to my own statement there are things about Reach I have an intense dislike for most notably Armor Lock. I think I can say it is by far the worst thing to be put in to a Halo game ever. I like that the vehicles have their own health independent of the player but they seem a little too weak to DMR fire. Also the Hog feels like needs it to be a little more grounded in general. It's a little bit light and tends to flip moreso than the H3 hog. There are sandbox omissions I miss too. The chopper and missile pod most notably are two things I wish were still part of the sandbox. The banshee also needs a longer cooldown on the flips and bomb.

But keeping in mind that I have to choose a game at the end of the day I choose Reach when I am looking to play some Halo. To me, it is the definitive Halo game at this point in time.

OH GAAAAAAWD! The damn plasma pistol! Don't forget the insane sword lunge. Also hated the weak ass grenade tosses and the pitiful SMG. But man those maps were so good.

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:
I hate the turret sequence, but the Mongoose run as good as Halo 1's Warthog run? Seriously? The most exciting thing in it is a gentle s-curve on a dirt road. Using the Mongoose was a terrible idea.
My memory is wack, what is this mongoose run you guys speak of?

PooBone

Kibbles said:
The 30 seconds of "Pillar of Autumn" where you ride a mongoose down a dirt path and under a scarab.

....yeah, I had a hard time remembering it too because he said it was better than CE's trench run. *eye roll*

ElRenoRaven

Kibbles said:
[edit] Wait, we are talking about Reach right?

The first part of the last level. You jump down clear the bridge then hope on two mongoose and ride down the roads till you take a jump across a gap to another battle with some Covenant that happen to have a Wraith tank at the back of the group.

Kibbles

PooBone said:
The first 30 seconds of "Pillar of Autumn" where you ride a mongoose down a dirt path and under a scarab.

....yeah, I had a hard time remembering it too because he said it was better than CE's trench run. *eye roll*
KuGsj.gif
Not even close.

Top Bottom