• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

PooBone

Risen said:
Lies... it's not possible to get good Mexican food in the states outside of CA, TX, and FL

There's a little shack a few blocks from where I live that has the most amazing Mexican food ever, w/ the handmade tortillas and hanging meat and everything. They don't speak a word of English, but damn their carne asada burritos are the Tits McGee!

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Question:

Is it harder to initiate vehicle boarding in Reach or is it just me?

I feel like in previous games you didn't have to be facing the actual vehicle, if you were close enough and the vehicle was moving slowly enough you could just mash X to board. Now I feel like you have to be facing the seat, which can be really difficult when a moving vehicle is that close because you have to move your thumb from the right stick to X.

Maybe I'm crazy, I just feel like vehicle boarding was more fun in Halo 2 and 3. I'm also not a fan of the stunning effect on the ousted driver. I don't want it to return to Halo 2's system where you can immediately board the vehicle you were just booted out of, but I'm not a fan of way it works in Reach. If you get boarded, there is nothing you can do. You can't bail out to avoid the melee or stun, you can't run or shoot, and you can't re-board.
It's definately harder to board vehicles. I often am able to close ranks with a Wraith, only to stand there pressed against it holding the bumper to board while nothing happens, other than it boosting away and toasting me. It's quite frustrating.

Agree about the stun, it feels unfair. I think the better solution is to boot the driver/pilot out of the vehicle such that they land a good 10 feet away, and can't instantly re-board the vehicle.

ncsuDuncan said:
Question:

I feel like in previous games you didn't have to be facing the actual vehicle, if you were close enough and the vehicle was moving slowly enough you could just mash X to board. Now I feel like you have to be facing the seat, which can be really difficult when a moving vehicle is that close because you have to move your thumb from the right stick to X.

Maybe I'm crazy, I just feel like vehicle boarding was more fun in Halo 2 and 3. I'm also not a fan of the stunning effect on the ousted driver. I don't want it to return to Halo 2's system where you can immediately board the vehicle you were just booted out of, but I'm not a fan of way it works in Reach. If you get boarded, there is nothing you can do. You can't bail out to avoid the melee or stun, you can't run or shoot, and you can't re-board.
they should do it that once you get booted out of the vehicle, you can't reboard for a couple of seconds. the stun effect is indeed very annoying, it's a death sentence

GhaleonEB said:
It's definately harder to board vehicles. I often am able to close ranks with a Wraith, only to stand there pressed against it holding the bumper to board while nothing happens, other than it boosting away and toasting me. It's quite frustrating.

Agree about the stun, it feels unfair. I think the better solution is to boot the driver/pilot out of the vehicle such that they land a good 10 feet away, and can't instantly re-board the vehicle.
Okay, so it's not just me.

I agree, either throw the driver far enough away or just remove the ability to re-board for 2 seconds.

Whenever I'm driving a Ghost and get boarded I feel like my Spartan has suddenly become... challenged. He's just standing there out in the open like an idiot, waiting for the Ghost to turn around and splatter him. Can't even turn to look away, because the stun affects camera rotation. :(

--
Holy crap, we're almost halfway to OT 6. Should we start brainstorming thread titles? :p

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 2 did it best but that's no surprise as Halo 2 did everything in the best possible way. The stun after boarding was one of Halo 3's fine additions to ruining Halo gameplay.

I think what makes it worse for the person doing the boarding is that now in Halo Reach not only are you slower but if a vehicle slightly touches you then your shields pop off and you're like a headshot away from death. Hard enough trying to get close to vehicle without getting killed but then you also have to worry about it hitting you as it's moving around the place.

stephen08 said:
Absolutely. What, you think the Banshee is working to design?

If that's the case how did they not catch that in all the time that multiplayer was up and running? It's so damn obvious. Playing with the Banshee for a minute is enough to demonstrate how unbalanced it is.

While we're pointing out grievances I'd like to say that while the reintroduction of health packs is fine and dandy, I don't like that they need to be used and can't automatically heal. More than once I've had a case of use button juggling trying to grab one. It's unnecessary.

A27 Tawpgun said:
k, so for fixed countdown I added lights to both sides so you know where the fuck you are. Still can't believe Bungie didn't color code the sides of the map...

Sword was replaced with Sniper. Countdown has some nice sightlines.

But I'm not sure what to do with Concussion and Shotgun. I feel the shotgun just promotes camping up top so I feel like removing it. But I still kind of want something down there.
At the same time I'm not sure if I want a concussion rifle up top, but I still think there should be something there to fight over. I don't want a power weapon overload though, which is what countdown already is.

Was thinking about adding rockets though.... And if Reach MP would accept it I totally would just add an Overshield to fight for, but of course Reach felt as though Overshields didn't belong in Halo Multiplayer. Instead we have Armor Lock...

Tunavi's idea. Focus for sword, grenade launcher for shotgun, leave concussion. Map fixed.

Risen said:
That was entirely my point... it's not the noob combo that's a problem, or the sword lunge... it's the sandbox. If default Halo made you dangerous off spawn, it wouldn't be "overpowered". It would simply be a power weapon you needed to control.

Nerfing weapons, is rarely the answer.

This really is one of the main issues with H3 and Reach's MP. Bungie idea of balancing the sandbox for the last two Halo games has been to nerf everything until they are all balanced just because the weapons suck.

ncsuDuncan said:
Question:

Not just you, I think its really had to board vehicles in Reach.

FyreWulff

Rickenslacker said:
While we're pointing out grievances I'd like to say that while the reintroduction of health packs is fine and dandy, I don't like that they need to be used and can't automatically heal. More than once I've had a case of use button juggling trying to grab one. It's unnecessary.

On the other hand, it was really annoying to accidentally pick one up in ODST when you were just missing a sliver of health or stamina.

Risen

PooBone said:
There's a little shack a few blocks from where I live that has the most amazing Mexican food ever, w/ the handmade tortillas and hanging meat and everything. They don't speak a word of English, but damn their carne asada burritos are the Tits McGee!

You had me at little shack...

I'm convinced the best food to be found in America is that in a small shack, truck, or other tiny building.

Rickenslacker said:
More than once I've had a case of use button juggling trying to grab one. It's unnecessary.

Solved by button juggling more skillfully...

Ruze789

Rickenslacker said:

The worst is on Kingdom, where there's a Plasma Pistol right under the Health Pack. I always end up swapping for PP instead of grabbing Health, and usually end up dead. I also always forget to just skip trying to grab it.

feel

ncsuDuncan said:
Holy crap, we're almost halfway to OT 6. Should we start brainstorming thread titles? :p
From now till then something else could be more current, but if it was coming soon, a social web reference would in order due to recent events

Reach |OT6| You don't get to hold flags without starting some civil wars

though Ghal never uses suggested titles, he seems to have the titles of like the first 20 OTs planned since last year lol

Letters said:
From now till then something else could be more current, but if it was coming soon, a social web reference would in order due to recent events

though Ghal never uses suggested titles, he seems to have the titles of like the first 20 OTs planned since last year lol

lol that's pretty good.

Tawpgun

xxjuicesxx said:
Sai, didn't like active reload in GoW? I thought it added some pretty interesting dynamics to the game with the whole power shots and whatnot. Helped gameplay imo, but might not work so well in HaloMP, I dunno. I think stuff like that would be cool if they added it (WITH OPTIONS TO TURN IT THE FUCK OFF!) God why the fuck did they not do that with bloom.
Active reload in Halo wouldn't make much sense as far as weapons are concerned. But I don't even like it in GoW because it isn't represented well enough. It leads to bullshit like WOW I SHOT AT HIM FIRST AND HE STILL WON. It's just kind of a weird inconsistency despite how easy it is to do.

Steelyuhas said:
Tunavi's idea. Focus for sword, grenade launcher for shotgun, leave concussion. Map fixed.

I thought the nade launcher might be kind of annoying as well. Especially in CQC. But we could test it.

No on Focus Rifle though. That useless POS requires the enemy to be exposed for a long time. Countdown is not good for that. And I really want the sniper there. I want to see how it plays. If we ever get a party of 8-10 I'd love to try it out.

Risen

Rickenslacker said:
If I have to "skillfully" button juggle when there's a clutter of use related items in the area I think it's a failing of interface.

Ahhhhh when you mentioned a problem with button juggling I thought you meant an issue with pressing buttons incorrectly... when really it's a problem with picking up an unintended item.

This I also hate...

It'd be nice if there was a separation between objects to be mapped on the controller... like an auto pickup of health when in a certain proximity, and if two items are in the same space, a different button picks up each weapon. X for snipe Y for grenade launcher when standing on top of both at the same time.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I thought the nade launcher might be kind of annoying as well. Especially in CQC. But we could test it.

No on Focus Rifle though. That useless POS requires the enemy to be exposed for a long time. Countdown is not good for that. And I really want the sniper there. I want to see how it plays. If we ever get a party of 8-10 I'd love to try it out.

The nade launcher is perfect for the map with all the corners. You can really use some cool angles to get to people.

I hate the sniper in MLG's version of Countdown personally. It just screams a map that shouldn't have the sniper on it. The Focus is far from a POS. Yes it was nerfed from the beta, but its still a good power weapon to pick up.

Rickenslacker said:
If I have to "skillfully" button juggle when there's a clutter of use related items in the area I think it's a failing of interface.

I keep having this issue with flags and weapons near each other. Pisses me off so much in close games.

The Real Napsta said:
I like the Sniper on Countdown.

I'll take sniper and rockets over shotgun and sword on that map any time.

Don't know, I have a distinct hatred for rockets on close quarter maps. They should have 2 instead of 4 in my opinion.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
The Focus is far from a POS. Yes it was nerfed from the beta, but its still a good power weapon to pick up.
I think we're thinking of different weapons. I would MUCH rather of a DMR than a focus in any situation.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I think we're thinking of different weapons. I would MUCH rather of a DMR than a focus in any situation.

The Focus kills faster than a DMR 5shot and is a continuous stream of death. How would you not want that?

Homeboyd

Letters said:

Wasn't the "this thread is not your grave, but you are welcome in it" a suggested title? I get the reference, but I think it was suggested by someone here.

Could be wrong though.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
The Focus kills faster than a DMR 5shot and is a continuous stream of death. How would you not want that?
I feel useless with it. It can kill once per charge. The DMR feels more reliable.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I feel useless with it. It can kill once per charge. The DMR feels more reliable.

Fair enough. On the contrary, I feel that its a good power weapon that I will always pick up.

Of course, as will pretty much all weapons in this game, it should be closer to its beta form though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:

Halo: Reach |OT6| Chief, mind telling me what you're doing with that flag?

GhaleonEB

Letters said:

The last OT title was taken directly from solicited suggestions. :p

For the next I was considering keeping the Gravemind theme going. Something like,

This game has made us enemies, but this title update will make us brothers.

Or,

This game has made us enemies, but this thread will make us brothers.

Dunno, maybe it doesn't work. But I'll take suggestions as we approach the end of this OT. :D

feel

Homeboyd said:
Wasn't the "this thread is not your grave, but you are welcome in it" a suggested title? I get the reference, but I think it was suggested by someone here.

Could be wrong though.
I thought that was his, and btw I wasn't complaining, his titles are really good and hold up well the entire duration of the thread, unlike trending stuff that would be funny at first but then get really old after a while.
Devolution said:
I keep having this issue with flags and weapons near each other. Pisses me off so much in close games.
A few seconds to go in the Reach Coagulation game last saturday, we have their flag out of their base and all I need to do is grab it and get into the warthog that pulled over next to it. I think I picked up one of the 27 ARs dropped next to it instead.

Finally got my account activated! Whoot.
No longer lurking...

stephen08 said:
Absolutely. What, you think the Banshee is working to design?

What up Stephen? Didn't know you were on here too.

I think the Banshee is over powered. In a game of invasion on Spire the Banshee can almost single-handedly spawn kill the defending team. I do think they did well with the vehicle damage in this one. For instance, the idea that with enough team work you can take it down with concentrated dmr fire, but the Banshee's speed and strength makes this difficult. It can also shed a heat seeking rocket or blue berry with relative ease, yet it is armed with its own heat seeking bombs. It is difficult to use anything other than the laser or a full clip of sniper ammo to take it out. Once your team has the Banshee though it is usually easy to camp the power weapon spawns.

I'm glad we don't see it too often in matchmaking because of this.

ShortBizzle said:
No longer lurking...

I think the Banshee is over powered. In a game of invasion on Spire the Banshee can almost single-handedly spawn kill the defending team. I do think they did well with the vehicle damage in this one. For instance, the idea that with enough team work you can take it down with concentrated dmr fire, but the Banshee's speed and strength makes this difficult. It can also shed a heat seeking rocket or blue berry with relative ease, yet it is armed with its own heat seeking bombs. It is difficult to use anything other than the laser or a full clip of sniper ammo to take it out. Once your team has the Banshee though it is usually easy to camp the power weapon spawns.

I'm glad we don't see it too often in matchmaking because of this.

There are people out there who literally go into BTB and get banshee to pad their k/d because of how effective it is. Not to mention it's one of the few ways to attain unfrigginbelievable. Banshee bomb is so broken it's ridiculous. But the banshee itself isn't too hard to take out. It's a weird glass cannon situation.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
What exactly are you looking for that's different from the old one. And Big/Kwatz did a nice revised version.
Oh I didn't see those. I'm not necessarily looking for just revisions, I welcome all ideas, fresh and old. Feel free to make multiple submissions as well. What ever you think looks cool. I posted the old just to show what the old one was.

PooBone

Hopping on in a second. Anyone wanna play some Reach? If not I have about half of Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet to cover still. GT PooBone

GhaleonEB said:
This game has made us enemies, but this title update will make us brothers.
thezerofire said:
Halo Reach |OT6| The Victory Lap
I'm a fan of both of these.

Halo Reach |OT6| 148... 149... "I shall leave this holy ring... release my cleansing flame..."
300px-Prophet_of_Regret.jpg

stephen08

I don't think that the Banshee immediately appears as broken though. It takes seeing it being abused in action to realize there is a problem.

ShortBizzle said:
No longer lurking...

Yeah I post from time to time.

stephen08 said:
I don't think that the Banshee immediately appears as broken though. It takes seeing it being abused in action to realize there is a problem..

The fact that the bomb locks on is abusive enough.

thezerofire said:
because if you accidentally let go of the trigger they win

Why would you do that lol?

Not to mention he is de-scoped because of the continuous microwave, and you can't see shit when someone shoots you with the focus.

These OT suggestions are hilarious.

Top Bottom