• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB said:
Looks like the last five pictures I added today didn't take; probably a consequence of collaborative editing saving over the changes. I'm working on fixing them now. You'll see placeholder text marking where they were added at the moment. Should have that fixed in a few minutes.

I guessed this would be the case. I suspect no one will agree with all of it, and many people will read it and wonder what game I was playing. I often times have that thought when I see people comment on the various Halo campaigns.
I agreed with pretty much all of it. I thought the campaign was good but it got a little old sometimes

GhaleonEB

Moving this over here since it was at the bottom of the last page and I was adding edits.

MrBig said:
Most of what I have read so far is such a wildly contrasting viewpoint from my own. I agree with almost nothing. Goes to show you the diversity that Halo has that it can be played in so many different ways as to make everyone's view of its aspects unique.
I guessed this would be the case. I suspect no one will agree with all of it, and many people will read it and wonder what game I was playing. I often times have that thought when I see people comment on the various Halo campaigns.

I think there are some things which are able to be evaluated objectively. For instance, the way vehicle health is handled. The subjective thing is, how does that affect the way you play? For me, it makes me skip many vehicles. For others, it won't affect the way they play at all. Likewise the DMR, armor abilities and the base traits. Those things really affect how I play Reach.

I've find that I play Reach very differently than any other Halo game, and much of the article is really me trying to understand why.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hockeylover01 said:
I was just thinking, will the guy that announces the medals and stuff be in halo 4? or is he employed by Bungie?

His name is Jeff Steitzer. He did the V/O for us for the Anniversary trailer.

feel

halogaffers walking through halofest
25smxea.jpg

rest of the crowd
2elva4l.jpg

feel

Devin Olsen said:
I need a white button up version of the HaloGAF shirt... Just so I can possibly look as cool as this guy.
Sorry, guy in a suit and sunglasses walking front and center is already claimed (I sent that person the .png for the black logo). You and the others will have to settle for looking cooler than the rest of the people in the building.

Hypertrooper said:
I ordered mine today
EU version does not BELI343, don't ever turn your back to any 343 employee if you want to get as much swag as the rest of the group.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Moving this over here since it was at the bottom of the last page and I was adding edits.

I think there are some things which are able to be evaluated objectively. For instance, the way vehicle health is handled. The subjective thing is, how does that affect the way you play? For me, it makes me skip many vehicles. For others, it won't affect the way they play at all. Likewise the DMR, armor abilities and the base traits. Those things really affect how I play Reach.

I've find that I play Reach very differently than any other Halo game, and much of the article is really me trying to understand why.

Mostly your praise of the weapon sandbox is what got me. I just don't understand it. From my use of it all the various weapons, those with destructive capabilities aside, I found ineptly differentiated. I can pick up any weapon and kill anything, from plasma pistol all the way to the DMR. The best way I can describe it is being overbalanced. I'll give more comments when I actually finish reading it.

Though my view may be skewed, since what I mainly do in games these days is look at the art and environments and focus less on actually playing the game. One of my goals wanting to be an environment artist at Bungie may have something to do with it :lol

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Mostly your praise of the weapon sandbox is what got me. I just don't understand it. From my use of it all the various weapons, those with destructive capabilities aside, I found ineptly differentiated. I can pick up any weapon and kill anything, from plasma pistol all the way to the DMR. The best way I can describe it is being overbalanced. I'll give more comments when I actually finish reading it. :lol
I can see why the review would run counter to your experience then, since my take on the weapon balance is sort of the crux of the entire review. :lol

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
You know I didn't always have FiOs.

LOL likely story... but I more meant that sweep sniping worked much better online than on LAN. So to my mind you have to separate the two. It was much more skill based on LAN. Online the margin of error depended on the connection.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Risen said:
LOL likely story... but I more meant that sweep sniping worked much better online than on LAN. So to my mind you have to separate the two. It was much more skill based on LAN. Online the margin of error depended on the connection.

LOL oh ok. I thought you were just giving me shit for having a good connection.
While yours is poopy :p

Letters said:
EU version does not BELI343, don't ever turn your back to any 343 employee if you want to get as much swag as the rest of the group.
WTF. WTF. The shirt is meaningless now. Really. it is meaningless. WTF.

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
LOL oh ok. I thought you were just giving me shit for having a good connection.
While yours is poopy :p

Naw... mad respect for the FiOS, with a whole heaping pile of jelly...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:
Sorry, guy in a suit and sunglasses walking front and center is already claimed (I sent that person the .png for the black logo). You and the others will have to settle for looking cooler than the rest of the people in the building.

BOOLI343

Domino Theory said:
So does the HaloGAF shirt count fo getting into Friday's VIP event? :p
"Oh yeah, you wear HaloGAF t-shirt, show me your back. "
Everyone gets in. Except for me. "You don't have the BELI343, Sir."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Braved it last night entering Team Objective alone. I immediately regretted that decision. I went -1 while the rest of my team went a combined -33 before quitting early on a neutral bomb game. I'm thankful the other team showed mercy and scored quickly after they quit. (Even tho I didn't appreciate the few English words they knew)

This sucked

Icing on the cake is that my teammates had a combined total of 0 kills, and they were playing!

After reading some of Ghal's review they remind me of Kat. Thanks for being a distraction guys!

ShortBizzle said:
Braved it last night entering Team Objective alone. I immediately regretted that decision. I went -1 while the rest of my team went a combined -33 before quitting early on a neutral bomb game. I'm thankful the other team showed mercy and scored quickly after they quit. (Even tho I didn't appreciate the few English words they knew)

This sucked

Icing on the cake is that my teammates had a combined total of 0 kills, and they were playing!

After reading some of Ghal's review they remind me of Kat. Thanks for being a distraction guys!
Games like that make me wonder how all the people even get matched up. How would a Warrant Officer with 2 guests get matched up with 5 other people at Brig or above?

feel

Gui_PT said:
But it'll be added, right? Right?!
complaint is on EviLore's PM inbox, but it could be days until he reads it :(

it's frustratingly hard getting in touch with him these days

@hyper contact spreadshirt and cancel the order and bitch about it not having the back part, maybe they'll do something about it fast since they handled the US->EU migration of the gaf shirts themselves.

GhaleonEB

thezerofire said:
Games like that make me wonder how all the people even get matched up. How would a Warrant Officer with 2 guests get matched up with 5 other people at Brig or above?
I think the really low population forces it. I seldom run into it in the more populated playlists.

Letters said:
complaint is on EviLore's PM inbox, but it could be days until he reads it :(

it's frustratingly hard getting in touch with him these days

@hyper contact spreadshirt and cancel the order and bitch about it not having the back part, maybe they'll do something about it fast since they handled the US->EU migration of the gaf shirts themselves.

Least yours got added to the store =/.

thezerofire said:

Yeah, but it felt good to be on the other side of the carnage when I actually waited and got on a full team.

This rocked lol

Your MM concerns definitely apply here too tho.

Edit: This was the next game/last game for the night

GhaleonEB said:
I think the really low population forces it. I seldom run into it in the more populated playlists.
I've gotten that in a lot of playlists though. I got matched up with a guy on his like 10th game of halo in Team Slayer before

MrBig said:
Mostly your praise of the weapon sandbox is what got me. I just don't understand it. From my use of it all the various weapons, those with destructive capabilities aside, I found ineptly differentiated. I can pick up any weapon and kill anything, from plasma pistol all the way to the DMR. The best way I can describe it is being overbalanced. I'll give more comments when I actually finish reading it.

Though my view may be skewed, since what I mainly do in games these days is look at the art and environments and focus less on actually playing the game. One of my goals wanting to be an environment artist at Bungie may have something to do with it :lol
I don't get it. So you'd rather have a lot of the weapons not be able to do what they're designed to do? There's more that differentiates weapons than their ability to kill.

Risen said:
There are a lot of playlists with low populations

Still happens in high pop playlists. If anything it's just another reason playlists should be cut down in future games, voting/gametypes would have to be massively improved though.

To me the problem with Reach is a bunch of stuff was boosted to ridiculous levels to counteract other OP stuff. It's a problem in a lot of games, not just Reach. Game devs over compensating by making stuff more powerful, instead of just balancing things properly from the get go or they overnerf stuff and then something else becomes OP. Awful chain of shit.

Devolution said:
Still happens in high pop playlists. If anything it's just another reason playlists should be cut down in future games, voting/gametypes would have to be massively improved though.

To me the problem with Reach is a bunch of stuff was boosted to ridiculous levels to counteract other OP stuff. It's a problem in a lot of games, not just Reach. Game devs over compensating by making stuff more powerful, instead of just balancing things properly from the get go or they overnerf stuff and then something else becomes OP. Awful chain of shit.
It's broken mechanics balancing other broken mechanics, like armor lock foiling grenades

Dax01 said:
I don't get it. So you'd rather have a lot of the weapons not be able to do what they're designed to do? There's more that differentiates weapons than their ability to kill.
Can you elaborate on this? With examples in Reach?

Devolution said:
Right and in the end nothing is balanced.

Reach is an odd combination of everything outside of weapons (AA, Melee, grenades) being very powerful, and the weapons themselves are mostly weak.

Steelyuhas said:
Reach is an odd combination of everything outside of weapons (AA, Melee, grenades) being very powerful, and the weapons themselves are mostly weak.

Or weapons in conjunction with certain AAs are just bullshit mode.

Devolution said:
Or weapons in conjunction with certain AAs are just bullshit mode.

Haha well clearly Evade was never meant for spartans and was meant for Elites in Invasion, on Invasion scaled maps. Not sure why the matchmaking support team thought it would be a good idea to give spartans the ability.

I'm assuming you are referring to evade + sword or shotty

Steelyuhas said:
Haha well clearly Evade was never meant for spartans and was meant for Elites in Invasion, on Invasion scaled maps. Not sure why the matchmaking support team thought it would be a good idea to give spartans the ability.

I'm assuming you are referring to evade + sword or shotty

Yes I am. Yeah it should have stayed with elites. And even AR + jetpack can be a drag because of how slow the y-axis is and the range on the AR.

Devolution said:
Yes I am. Yeah it should have stayed with elites. And even AR + jetpack can be a drag because of how slow the y-axis is and the range on the AR.
it doesn't even need to be AR. Jetpack+grenades can take out a whole team, especially on maps with narrow walkways like The Cage/Uncaged.

Devolution said:
And even AR + jetpack can be a drag because of how slow the y-axis is and the range on the AR.
+ you can't 5shot them because you can't see their heads while they're up there flying
+ you can't throw them nades
+ if you're rocking bumper jumper (men's button layout) jetpack is not viable

let's hope halo4 goes back to that elegant experience we love, and those who say that it's archaic can go play call of duty

i nerini del buio said:
+ you can't 5shot them because you can't see their heads while they're up there flying

let's hope halo4 goes back to that elegant experience we loved, and those who say that it's archaic can go play call of duty

Lolz at using bumper jumper in Reach.

I kieed I kieed

i nerini del buio said:

let's hope halo4 goes back to that elegant experience we love, and those who say that it's archaic can go play call of duty

Exactly the hitboxes on the jetpack guys are quite the advantage.

thezerofire said:
it doesn't even need to be AR. Jetpack+grenades can take out a whole team, especially on maps with narrow walkways like The Cage/Uncaged.

Also a good point.

thezerofire said:

I rock the jet-pack on cage, sword base, and countdown exclusively.

Edit: by exclusively I mean only on those levels because of the vertical changes in those maps.

Gui_PT

ElzarTheBam said:
Good game's everyone! (Hyper, Gui, Neo, Xand and the HBO crew)!

P.s. Also Gui I am not gonna say anything that involves the word "poop".

You won't, but I know you loved most of the words I created =P

ShortBizzle said:
I rock the jet-pack on cage, sword base, and countdown exclusively.

Edit: by exclusively I mean only on those levels because of the vertical changes in those maps.

I use it on cage and sword base. It's basically a must, especially on sword base.

Top Bottom