• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tawpgun

Read the review Ghaelon and pretty much agreed with most of it.

Only thing I would add it it is a section on the story inconsistencies, the failed connection to Noble, Reach, Civies, ect. Lots of missed opportunities and mess ups in the story department.

Tunavi

Banned
Hydranockz said:
All signs point to yes. I'd be surprised if anything else were to happen given Frankies comments on MP.

Devo, how do, so assuredly, know when you host? Honest question.
I just want one playlist that has all the Reach 4v4 maps (asymmetric included which MLG doesn't use), sprint on spawn with AA pickups, 2x DMR scope, no bloom, no forge maps. Thats all I want. Just 1 playlist. All these other communities get their own playlists, why can't we (the pickup supporters) have ours? MLG, living dead, grifball, swat, snipers, firefight, classic, etc

and your reticle bloom moves upon initial spawn if you have host.

Devolution said:
By playing with people I know are around my skill level or better, and when I do considerably better than they do. I don't think my aiming or playstyle just drastically improves during random games.
I dunno, I'd imagine you'd point your finger just as quickly to Truskill not working.

Even besides that, I always swing from the top to the bottom of the leaderboards in games, but I know that's just me and not the game.

Hydranockz said:
Bloom is actually ok for some. Keep your hat on.
That's kind of a poor argument. Just because some people are happy with a system doesn't mean it's okay. Or shouldn't be changed.
Just because Reach might be someones first Halo, doesn't mean Halo 4 should definetely have bloom, AAs, etc.
Take taxation. The wealthy may be happy with the current taxation system, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't point at it and shout WTF. (yes, a singleton argument structure is a fallacy too, but it's late)

ANYWAY Hydra, you'll get your POV, as there is NO WAY 343 will remove Bloom in all playlists. There'll be options to cater to both desires. How one is able to go from one to the other though... I don't see that being fun. It'll have to be an almost permanent switch.

Steelyuhas said:
Wasn't Living Dead just a double xp weekend playlist in H3?
Yup. Most if not all of the time anyway. Still consistently popular, heavy demand was there, probably why they made a playlist for Reach.

Hydranockz said:
I dunno, I'd imagine you'd point your finger just as quickly to Truskill not working.

Even besides that, I always swing from the top to the bottom of the leaderboards in games, but I know that's just me and not the game.

No I'd point to latency issues, and bloom on top of latency issues is a problem. I hate tooting my own horn but I'm not shit with a DMR, I never have been, so I can tell when I'm being dicked over by a host or when a host is nice, or when my own shots are more consistent/do more damage because I'm host.

I fuck up some encounters but a lot of encounters in which both people are at comparable levels, host wins out and can win out big. I get really frustrated when I know I can out DMR someone but latency is holding me back.

feel

Loadouts ruin everything and need to go, but bloom should stay, it's important for balance reasons.

j9aln6.jpg

Balancing skill levels I mean.
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=29949541&postcount=9451

ElRenoRaven

.kniht I moolb deen seitiliba romra ruo lleH .selcihev ruo ni ti tnaw I .moolb erom ees ot tnaw I .kniht I nialpmoc ot moolb tuoba nialpmoc tsuj syug uoY .haB

Bah. You guys just complain about bloom to complain I think. I want to see more bloom. I want it in our vehicles. Hell our armor abilities need bloom I think.

HEHEHEHE

Risen

Captain Blood said:
I have have just thought of what could possibly be the most fun thing to do in Reach multiplayer. Run around maps in groups of 5 that all have the hologram AA selected. When we encounter enemies we will simultaneously shoot our holograms at them in Flying V formation.

Edit:
Also we pray that we aren't muted and when we unleash the Flying V we shout "Quack, Quack, Quack"

We will be unstoppable.

"Ducks fly together"

Zeouterlimits said:
That's kind of a poor argument. Just because some people are happy with a system doesn't mean it's okay. Or shouldn't be changed.
Just because Reach might be someones first Halo, doesn't mean Halo 4 should definetely have bloom, AAs, etc.
Take taxation. The wealthy may be happy with the current taxation system, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't point at it and shout WTF. (yes, a singleton argument structure is a fallacy too, but it's late)
By all means, argue fallacies with fallacies. I am not saying you can't not like bloom. I will welcome its subtraction from some, but not all parts, of Reach's MP. It will hopefully be tailored to suit each playlist's target audience. Just don't nuke it. All I was saying.

ANYWAY Hydra, you'll get your POV, as there is NO WAY 343 will remove Bloom in all playlists. There'll be options to cater to both desires. How one is able to go from one to the other though... I don't see that being fun. It'll have to be an almost permanent switch.
You mean like switching from Team Classic to Multi Team or from Team Swat to Griffball? My stance is people will generally stick to what they usually play. I certainly don't know of anyone who plays all of the playlists and I don't think catering to such a change is something 343 will need to worry about.

Yup. Most if not all of the time anyway. Still consistently popular, heavy demand was there, probably why they made a playlist for Reach.
Could it's position on the UI be a factor? Maybe some players simply do not want to sroll down through a list? :p

Sibylus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

In which I spend just under 14,000 words talking about Reach's campaign. It's not perfect, but the time came to up and ship the thing.

That applies to Reach and the review.

Thanks to Hitmonchan for editin, and Dani for moral support. And also, hosting. :p

(Would you believe I cut ~3,000 words in the final several editing passes?)
Aw yiss! Reading now.

Tunavi

Banned
Im just sick of listing out all these things I want to see changed, and people are just like "sit down, shut up, and play the game as it is." Just give us a playlist with the changes we want, what makes us the bad guys?

Tunavi said:
Im just sick of listing out all these things I want to see changed, and people are just like "sit down, shut up, and play the game as it is." Just give us a playlist with the changes we want, what makes us the bad guys?
The world needs a villain.

No-one has come close to callin pick-up supporters the bad guys :lol

So... I get host all the time... Who knew? :p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
The base game isn't going to change, any changes will be placed into their own playlist. That's the issue, splintering the userbase.

Tunavi said:

I could even see enjoying AAs because variety, don't agree and don't care for them, but I can at least understand. I cannot fathom defending a mechanic like bloom.

Tunavi

Banned
Plywood said:
The base game isn't going to change, any changes will be placed into their own playlist. That's the issue, splintering the userbase.
Splintering what userbase? The half of players that hates certain things about this game and the half that loves these things?

And if splintering the userbase is the problem, why don't we take out Living dead, swat, snipers, grifball, firefight, MLG, and classic and just throw them as voting options into team slayer?
It doesn't work like that.

Hydranockz said:
No-one has come close to callin pick-up supporters the bad guys :lol
And no one calls pick up supporters bad guys literally, but when we talk about taking away living dead, people say "why take away something that people love to play?" And then the same people are totally against us suggesting bloom/loadouts being taken out in certain playlists. That is something I would love to play. Shame on me, right? :(

Tunavi said:
And no one calls pick up supporters bad guys literally, but when we talk about taking away living dead, people say "why take away something that people love to play?" And then the same people are totally against us suggesting bloom/loadouts being taken out in certain playlists. That is something I would love to play. Shame on me, right? :(

Yeah voting for Flag Slayer just because it has only one AA should be indicative of something. And honestly I don't see as many people putting the game down because certain abilities get excluded as much as I saw people avoiding entire playlists because of certain AAs.

Tunavi said:
And no one calls pick up supporters bad guys literally, but when we talk about taking away living dead, people say "why take away something that people love to play?" And then they are totally against us suggesting bloom/loadouts being taken out in certain playlists. That is something I would love to play. Shame on me, right?
Bloom isn't something Bungie could have just said "Ok, it's now only in Team Slayer and Griffball". Whereas tweaking things like Loadouts (which is already quite a big part of MP with all the Pro variants... or do you not want Sprint... Classic then maybe?) was something they have done a lot. When people rightfully complain about the implementation of bloom, up until 343 made the TU, there wasn't a thing anyone could do, so of curse you had to just "take it". It's not ideal but that's just how it was. It's really not the same as you wanting Living Dead gone.

Now, we can see the players who never liked bloom/loadouts have their spot in the Reach MP.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
Splintering what userbase? The half of players that hates certain things about this game and the half that loves these things?

And if splintering the userbase is the problem, why don't we take out Living dead, swat, snipers, grifball, firefight, MLG, and classic and just throw them as voting options into team slayer?
It doesn't work like that.
That is already spreading the userbase thin, my point is it will only get thinner.

ElRenoRaven

See now this is why we need dedicated servers and a browser to find them. Find a server you like without none of this playlist bullshit. Hell and if you don't like them set up your own with the settings and modes you like. If nobody comes onto your server then the answer is simple. YOUR SETTINGS SUCK!!!

Problem solved. lol

Damn Zombie induced Rage. lol

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Read the review Ghaelon and pretty much agreed with most of it.

Only thing I would add it it is a section on the story inconsistencies, the failed connection to Noble, Reach, Civies, ect. Lots of missed opportunities and mess ups in the story department.
I tried to set expectations at the outset, but I ended up tossing the story component. Originally the last third was going to be focused on the story, and I had around 2,000 words drafted, but I ended up tossing it to focus on the gameplay.

But I agree with you; I think both the story and story telling in Reach were very poor overall. I've teed off before on things like Kat's death, and how the in-game dialog often doesn't make any sense at all. ("Go in quiet." Cue Jorge's still running helicopter outside.)

It's the little stuff that gets to me more and more. Like how on Winter Contingency, the Falcon to evac the troopers won't land because there are some Grunts there. But right after, Carter tells the same pilot to touch down in a landing zone bursting at the seams with Covenant, at the communications outpost.

Another whole topic is the portrayal of Reach. From the expanded fiction we know it's the UNSC naval shipyard, the home of the Spartan program, the height of UNSC military power. Yet, it apparently has a crumbling infrastructure. ONI Sword Base needs power from what looks to be a run down shack housing some generators from the 1970's. This mammoth ship building yard is accessed via a two-lane dirt road, and the facility itself appears really run down and patched together. It's such an odd portrayal of the planet, and not what I envisioned it to be.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Plywood said:
That is already spreading the userbase thin, my point is it will only get thinner.

Your assumption sort of assumes there will just be 100 playlists. We'll sensibly organzie and condense things. That means, like ANY playlist updates, there will be additions and casualties. The poor playlist designer already knows that if he takes out a thing only ten people like, he will get 100 angry emails about it. That goes with the territory.

Rest assured we will balance playlists for population with the goal of making the new stuff popular, but not at the "expense" of the traditional Reach experience.

We are not naive enough to think that is simple. Ninja and Shishka before him have callouses on their very souls from this. But we'll do our very best.

feel

^ mmm.. that makes it seem like the Reach online experience will be split closer to 50/50 and not it being 95% Terrible Reach like I expected. TASTY! Now I'm hoping for it to have a Halo CE slayer playlist, with just the new maps, an objective playlist for CE gameplay, and then slayer/objective playlists using all the Reach+CEA maps, with Halo 2/3 style gameplay (liberating movement, some pickups, fast redirection, bloomless, loadoutless, sprintless).. ohgosh ^_^

Tunavi said:
Im just sick of listing out all these things I want to see changed, and people are just like "sit down, shut up, and play the game as it is."
Your fault for thinking the gameplay in a new game in a franchise should feel familiar and like it belongs to said franchise.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Your assumption sort of assumes there will just be 100 playlists. We'll sensibly organzie and condense things. That means, like ANY playlist updates, there will be additions and casualties. The poor playlist designer already knows that if he takes out a thing only ten people like, he will get 100 angry emails about it. That goes with the territory.

Rest assured we will balance playlists for population with the goal of making the new stuff popular, but not at the "expense" of the traditional Reach experience.

We are not naive enough to think that is simple. Ninja and Shishka before him have callouses on their very souls from this. But we'll do our very best.

Good to hear.

Thanks.

Letters said:
Your fault for thinking the gameplay in a new game in a franchise should feel familiar and like it belongs to said franchise.

697322_o.gif

Here's my tentative PAX schedule. Items highlighted in red are conflicting panels that I still need to decide on:

Friday

Halo: Anniversary

Pegasus Theatre
Friday 10:00am - 11:00am
The team responsible for the 2011 reimagining of the classic Xbox title peel back the cover on the process behind bringing Halo: Anniversary to gamers on the 10th anniversary of Halo: Combat Evolved.
Panelists include: Dan Ayoub [Executive Producer], Dennis Ries [Producer], Frank O'Connor [Franchise Development Director], Kevin Grace [Franchise Manager]

Halo Community: Fragging, Forge, and Flowers

Halo Fest
12:00pm–1:00pm

Kick your PAX weekend off right by hanging out with some of Halo’s most dedicated Community leaders. Panelists include Louis Wu of halo.bungie.org, Adam Grumbo of 405th, Goose Checka of GrifballHub, HC Redemption of Halo Challenges, CMNeir of Halo: Reach Tricks, and Dust Storm of Podtacular. There is a Community meet-up immediately following in the Waypoint Lounge.

Getting Past Forums: The Future of Community

Serpent Theatre
Friday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
The days of throwing a forum on a website and calling it 'community' are over. Facebook Integration, YouTube Uploads, Twitter Updates, User Generated Content and more are causing the way we think and participate in the community to change at an incredible pace. In this panel we talk to various community managers about how community has changed since they started and where they think the next steps will be.
Panelists include: Kimi Matsuzaki [Senior Community Developer, Ubisoft/Red Storm], Gabriel Graziani [Senior Community Developer, Ubisoft], J Goldberg [Community Manager, Volition], James Stevenson [Senior Community Manager, Insomniac Games], Collin Moore [Community Manager, Sucker Punch]

Halo Universe

Pegasus Theatre
Friday 4:00pm - 5:00pm
Over the past decade Halo has touched millions of people around the world. Come be a part of the 10th anniversary celebration as we welcome some of the people who helped bring the universe to life. Panelists include Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor, Franchise Manager Kevin Grace, Pete Stacker (Captain Jacob Keyes), Tim Dadabo (343 Guilty Spark), and Steve Downes (Master Chief).

Saturday

Bungie: Hatching the Cosmic Halo Egg

Halo Fest
12:00pm-1:00pm
At this year's PAX, Halo Fest is enormous! But ten years ago, it only took a small core of ambitious Bungie developers to fill the Halo universe with life. In this panel, the birth mother and father of Halo–Joseph Staten and Marty O'Donnell–along with a handful of Bungie alumni discuss the origins and development of the Halo franchise, and field your questions from the Community.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Unicorn Theatre
Saturday 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Game Director Todd Howard guides you through the world of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in this exclusive PAX demo running live off the Xbox 360.

Sunday

Halo 4

Main Theatre
Sunday 10:00am - 11:00am
Here is your first chance to see and hear from the 343 Industries team that is creating the exciting next chapter in Master Chief's heroic story. Be there as we kick off the next 10 years of Halo!
Panelists include: Frank O'Connor [Franchise Development Director, 343 Industries], Josh Holmes [Creative Director, 343 Industries], Kiki Wolfkill [Executive Producer, 343 Industries], Kenneth Scott [Sr. Art Director, 343 Industries], Sotaro Tojima [Audio Director, 343 Industries]

Supporting the Communities Within the Community
NCsoft Presentation Theatre
Sunday 10:00am - 10:45am
Every online game needs a strong community! Join NCsoft community managers to learn how they see to the needs, wants, and expectations of the diverse groups that play online games, and how they leverage what players love about their games into focused community engagement.

Regina Buenaobra, Guild Wars 2; Martin Kerstein, Guild Wars 2; Andy Belford, City of Heroes Freedom; and Staff from Carbine Studios

Halo Anniversary Multiplayer

Halo Fest
12:45pm-1:30pm
Want to get all the nitty-gritty on Halo Anniversary’s Multiplayer? Do you have questions about the Reach Title Update? If so, this is the panel for you!

Inside Gearbox Software
Pegasus Theatre
Sunday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Gearbox is back with their yearly panel at PAX Prime! Get a behind the scenes look at all the Gearbox Software titles including Borderlands, Duke Nukem, Brothers in Arms, and Aliens: Colonial Marines. And what is a Gearbox panel without exclusives, surprises, and of course pizza!

The Sorting Workshop
Unicorn Theatre
Sunday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Writing Workshop: Journalism, PR, Community Managers
Industry vets inflict writing on attendees to determine where in the industry an aspiring writer belongs. A game developer and publicist kick things off with a 10-minute product demo that you get 20 minutes to write up. Then a panel of journalists, community managers, and publicists sort your writing samples into which field it ought to be in based on tone, content, and accuracy. You won't be graded, but you might be mocked with dramatic readings of your sample. Whatever happens, you'll have a chance to make industry contacts and learn the difference between writing for journalism, for community management, for marketing, and for PR. Bring pens, pencils, and a surface to write on (we recommend the PAX guide) -- we'll provide the rest.
Panelists include: AJ Glasser [Lead Writer, Inside Social Games, Inside Network], Susan Arendt [Senior Editor, The Escapist], Dan Amrich [Social Media Manager, Activision], Sue Bohle [Founder, The Bohle Company], John "Seg" Seggerson [Content Programmer, Telltale Games]​

Tunavi

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Rest assured we will balance playlists for population with the goal of making the new stuff popular, but not at the "expense" of the traditional Reach experience
So will there be certain playlists (excluding classic) that DONT have the traditional Reach experience? A lot of people don't want traditional Reach.
Devolution said:
pikachu crying[img][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SGNZZ.gif
Devolution said:
Call it new classic.
New-wave Reach

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:

Do these hypothetical changes affect Firefight, or is the scope of the TU Muliplayer? Just looking to set expectations.

The playlist designer has a truly rough, thankless job. I hope they get mad perks and snacks galore.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OuterWorldVoice said:

Well it sounds like whoever you have in charge of playlist has a juggling act ahead of them.

Hydranockz said:
Wut? Hologram is now a bad AA? Is there anything HaloGaf won't find a problem with? :lol
I never said that "Hologram is a bad AA."

But if the majority of "OP" AAs were axed like some people want and Hologram was left alone then it would be the most prevalent by default. Now imagine every player in a game using hologram. It would be fucking retarded. Not necessarily overpowered, but annoying beyond belief. Now this is assuming Sprint was also gone (some people want this because of Sprint double melee or Sprint Sword) and base movement speed was increased. Given the choice between Sprint and Hologram, most players would still pick Sprint so it wouldn't be an issue.

All I meant is that you can't just remove some stuff and leave others alone. Changing one thing requires rebalancing of others.

Tunavi said:
"but not at the "expense" of the traditional Reach experience."
So we will both have what we want... just like you wanted... just like I said would happen.

Pre TU:
All dat bloom! All dem AAs! All dem issues! <- aka Traditional reach

Post TU:
NEW things! Not so much bloom! Not so much AAs! Less issues!
+
All dat bloom! All dem AAs! All dem issues!

All of the new hotness will evaporate your hopeful tears and joy will permeate through the community but at the very same time, all the grumpy, old masochists who are indifferent to the now infamous "traditional" Reach MP will have their self inflicted torture if they so wish.

Frankie has been saying this from the start in all fairness.

Devolution said:
I can also honestly tell when my shots just aren't registering on other players. I pay attention to these things very carefully and I notice trends in my own stats.

Yeah most of us can tell when we are on a good connection or not and often times if we are host or not, but that was just the actually way to tell if you are host in game.

Thought I'd share it for those that may not know it.

Tunavi said:
I just want one playlist that has all the Reach 4v4 maps (asymmetric included which MLG doesn't use), sprint on spawn with AA pickups, 2x DMR scope, no bloom, no forge maps. Thats all I want. Just 1 playlist. All these other communities get their own playlists, why can't we (the pickup supporters) have ours? MLG, living dead, grifball, swat, snipers, firefight, classic, etc

and your reticle bloom moves upon initial spawn if you have host.

Looking forward to Halo 4 eh? Not to be the dreamcrusher, but the likely scenario is that we will get a set of classic playlists with the TU, and that the base Reach playlists aren't going to see dramatic sweeping gameplay changes. Frankie has made is very clear several times that 343 is not trying to blow up the default Reach, and has even gone as far as saying that they aren't going to try to 'fix' it.

Pretty sure you see the reticle bloom on every spawn when you are host.

EDIT: Wow I was many posts behind (including Frankie's) when I wrote this lol. Still stands, kind of.

And seriously, a playlist manager is a brutal job, and when CEA drops 343 has an even more complex playlist management job ahead of them.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah most of us can tell when we are on a good connection or not and often times if we are host or not, but that was just the actually way to tell if you are host in game.

Thought I'd share it for those that may not know it.

I tend to forget about it but there are games when it's just more than obvious. Don't know why I would have to seriously qualify it with proof. And it doesn't compliment me at all if I'm admitting games in which I'm doing exceptional I have host and I can spam at will.

Devolution said:
I tend to forget about it but there are games when it's just more than obvious. Don't know why I would have to seriously qualify it with proof. And it doesn't compliment me at all if I'm admitting games in which I'm doing exceptional I have host and I can spam at will.
I seriously didn't believe you, that's why :p

Plywood said:
Yeah, I get the feeling that even if the Title Update is everything we ever hoped for it still won't really take off unless it replaces the default Team Slayer settings. And that's obviously not going to happen. So come TU time, we'll be playing our possibly awesome new settings with a small population of players, bitching about TrueSkill and other nonsense that results from the splintered population.

Devolution said:
Why not? Tell me. What do I gain from lying about having host?
Wow! :lol Why would you assume that you would have to be lying for me not to believe you? I don't believe you honestly know when you have host. I believe you know when you think you have host.

:lol

Barrow Roll said:
Yeah, I get the feeling that even if the Title Update is everything we ever hoped for it still won't really take off unless it replaces the default Team Slayer settings. And that's obviously not going to happen. So come TU time, we'll be playing our possibly awesome new settings with a small population of players, bitching about TrueSkill and other nonsense that results from the splintered population.

If it even happens. I'm just going to remain cynical about everything. Hope is for suckers.

Hydranockz said:
Wow! :lol Why would you assume that you would have to be lying for me not to believe you? I don't believe you honestly know when you have host. I believe you know when you think you have host.

Oh I know I have it based on how encounters go but whatever, you're just going to keep up this game of patronizing me.

Homeboyd

Barrow Roll said:
Bail?

Hydranockz said:

it's easy to tell when you don't have host

Barrow Roll said:

Probably lol. But the gameplay is awesome, it will be worth it. If not, Battlefield 3 for life.

Top Bottom