• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

TrounceX

A27 Tawpgun said:
I still think thats full of shit, but I'll give it a try.

However lets assume it is real. That would mean you are breaking intended design in order to get a more consistent shot. It's still bad design and needs to be nuked out of the franchise.

Yeah the game is shit I won't argue with you. It's just much less shit when you're no longer fighting the bloom every game.

Plywood said:

Tell me more.

Shogun by James Clavell. Really excellent book, but make sure you have some time to dedicate to it; my copy is 1210 pages(!!) of teeny-tiny type, and the plot and scheming of the characters (and there are a lot of characters and schemes) is very complex. I felt like I should have been keeping notes as I read it.

senador

Banned
i nerini del buio said:
so you're basically saying that without bloom the game would be better
you're not very consistent

He's saying its what we have to deal with, so let's deal with it.

I agree. Plywood said it the other night too. The game is what it is. Most of us hear play it every night anyway, so let's deal with it.

*shrug*

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thagomizer said:
Shogun by James Clavell. Really excellent book, but make sure you have some time to dedicate to it; my copy is 1210 pages(!!) of teeny-tiny type, and the plot and scheming of the characters (and there are a lot of characters and schemes) is very complex. I felt like I should have been keeping notes as I read it.
Oooo, I'll look into it.

Hypertrooper said:
It would be funny if I attended this panel/workshop. If they read my article, they would be mad. And I would go out with *insertDevolution'scryingPikachu*. Otherwise this is a very good panel for you, dude. (Even If I like already your writing style) For me too. They could give me hints to write better articles/analysis etc. So I can use their hints in my next exam.
I hate my writing style these days. My articles are intolerably dull. But I'm tempted to write two different versions of what the panel wants me to write: a traditional journalistic take and a colorful community piece.

I'm okay with constructive criticism, but getting mocked in front of an audience makes me hesitant. If I'm up for a tall order of public embarrassment that day, I'll go.

Steelyuhas said:
I'm going to get on, invites are welcome.
I hear there's a certain company that's inviting you to join.

FyreWulff said:
4 minutes left to order the HBO shirts if you want them by PAX, by the way.

Preordered 4.
Uh-oh.

FyreWulff

darthbob said:
Gruen und schwarz FDS.

hi5

Order:

black on green for myself (I fucking love green. I will freely admit that I prefer my Halo 3 360 for it's color more than the fact that it's a Halo 360)

white on black for first bro

white on purple for second bro (vikings fan, this was easy)

red on yellow for youngest bro (yellow is his favorite color)

feel

senador said:
Ha I didn't realize it was Letters or that the problem was that Letters got the kill. I thought it was that it took so long to kill the red guy even though the aim was perfect.

I don't want to get into the bloom game (used to not mind it, starting to hate it), but I think Letters getting the kill is just fine other than the length of time it took. He has his reticule on him, and he wasn't that far away. You'll notice even spamming the reticule was basically over the body the entire time, so yeah the shots should be hitting. The problem I have, then is that at full bloom, headshots should happen in my opinion.
My very first one-shot hit the tiny spot on the edge of a fully open reticule where his head was (out of the dozens of spots it could've hit) while Instinct's Roy and Pistola missed what seemed like 20 one-shots on me. As glad as I was at the time, that's just garbage.

("one-shot" in this post is referring to the shots after the opponent's shields are down)

Letters said:
HaloGAF seems like a completely different place now than what it was one month ago, a much better one, Devolution deserves major props for starting the reveal your mug thing, we seem like a big happy family now (maybe not everyone feels that way, but at least I personally feel much closer to all of you) and going forward discussions about any topic that surfaces will be held in a much better tone.
347we89.jpg

Plywood said:
Oooo, I'll look into it.

It's really interesting how these characters do really despicable things- English sailors and Japanese warlords in the 1600's don't really jive with modern morality- but we still root for them anyway. For example, about a third of the way though,
Toranaga escapes a rival daimyo by dressing up as his wife and escaping in a litter. However, to do so, he leaves his wife, pregnant mistress, and best lieutenant behind, knowing that they probably won't be allowed to leave the castle alive. He basically thinks, "Well, can't win them all" and goes on his way. And this is one of the more reasonable, moral characters in the book.

It also has some hilarious insults. You black-eyed son of a shit-festered whore.

TrounceX

i nerini del buio said:
I have the right to complain if I want to
That "you complain because you suck" stuff was really uncalled for

Sorry if it came off that way or if I seem condescending.

The part that sets me off the most is when I read this thread to see the same complaints almost every day. Most are valid. The bloom is random and inconsistent complaint is not as black and white as HaloGAF makes it out to be. There are tricks that help make the bloom more consistent. I wouldn't even have posted if that GIF didn't coincidentally show exactly how! I'm trying to offer helpful advice but you guys just laugh or call bullshit.

Tunavi

Banned
TrounceX said:

The part that sets me off the most is when I read this thread to see the same complaints almost every day. Most are valid. The bloom is random and inconsistent complaint is not as black and white as HaloGAF makes it out to be. There are tricks that help make the bloom more consistent. I wouldn't even have posted if that GIF didn't coincidentally show exactly how! I'm trying to offer helpful advice but you guys just laugh or call bullshit.
we aren't looking for advice...

TrounceX said:

I wouldn't think it's bullshit, I'd just laugh at how much more work you'd have to do just to make a broken mechanic a bit more consistent. I hope Halo 4 just axes that shit.

Deputy Moonman said:
xxjuicesxx said:
Day 1: Delete AR's from every single playlist.
Day 2: Remove AA's from every playlist.
Day 3: Remove Vehicles from every map and playlist.
Day 4: Adaption
fixed that for you.
WE_HAVE_TO_GO_DEEPER.jpg

:p
darthbob said:
I'm glad someone other than Hypertrooper or Frankie could read that. : ) has Google
Fixed.

FyreWulff said:
white on purple for second bro (vikings fan, this was easy)
That's the HBO shirt I bought. Really I only picked that because I don't have very many purple shirts. (I am NOT a vikings fan.) Already have a ton of black/white/gray/green ones and I'm not a fan of yellow or pink. I have a TON of red shirts, but there are reasons for that. (Avatar quote.)

Letters said:
HaloGAF seems like a completely different place now than what it was one month ago, a much better one, Devolution deserves major props for starting the reveal your mug thing, we seem like a big happy family now (maybe not everyone feels that way, but at least I personally feel much closer to all of you) and going forward discussions about any topic that surfaces will be held in a much better tone.
Eh, I still agree, even in the light of this most recent discussion (that I'm kind of glad I missed).
Devolution still deserves props for making HaloGAF a little more personable (even if I was worried about the direction it was going :p).

Maybe I'm just looking forward to meeting some of this community at PAX and it's blinding me. I don't care.

Sorry to those I was playing with. The house interwebz died for a couple of minutes. Not sure what happened. Got back on, played a game of rumble pit. It showed me quite clearly how terribad the AR, grenades, and pistol nerf is. Then, I decided to play Firefight. Teammates lag out two minutes into the game. It's Arcadefight on Glacier, bad gametype, bad map.

The Halo gods have clearly told me not to play lol.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I hear there's a certain company that's inviting you to join.

Uh-oh.

A Bad Company?

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
Read the review Ghaelon and pretty much agreed with most of it.

Only thing I would add it it is a section on the story inconsistencies, the failed connection to Noble, Reach, Civies, ect. Lots of missed opportunities and mess ups in the story department.
Stories were only good or relatively noteworthy in Halo CE, Halo 2, and ODST. The rest were not memorable. And they seemed to want to diminish the Arbiter's significance in Halo 3.

feel

ncsuDuncan said:
Eh, I still agree. Even in the light of this most recent discussion (that I'm kind of glad I missed). Devolution still deserves props for making HaloGAF a little more personable (even if I was worried about the direction it was going :p).

Maybe I'm just looking forward to meeting some of this community at PAX and it's blinding me. I don't care.
To be honest it was unfair to expect a change in behavior from people who didn't post a photo, didn't look at other members photos, or simply couldn't care less about the whole thing.

Between the people who showed their face though, it's all hugs and tickles from now on. Inspector gadget! <3

edit-
Gotta counter my BKness being using to prove a point against bloom in a series of posts by half of halogaf (worth it) with reposting some old gifs I managed to find where I display some skill, because damn, my humility can only take so much:

2h5nxa0.jpg

xft70t.gif

wadasdm7q3.gif

23uput4.jpg

yep, feel better now

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:
You just forget how many times I told you I was hoping other people would buy the shirt so I wouldn't be the only one wearing it at PAX?

No, I knew you were. I was curious about other people.

Why are you guys still arguing about bloom? It's gonna be gone soon, rejoice friends.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lil Jimmy was quoted as saying "I just wanted to get my my rank up while playing Living Dead, but then I had to download an update to parts of the game I don't even want to play."

Zoolader

Letters said:
To be honest it was unfair to expect a change in behavior from people who didn't post a photo, didn't look at other members photos, or simply couldn't care less about the whole thing.

Between the people who showed their face though, it's all hugs and tickles from now on. Inspector gadget! <3

edit-
Gotta counter my BKness being using to prove a point against bloom in a series of posts by half of halogaf (worth it) with reposting some old gifs I managed to find where I display some skill, because damn, my humility can only take so much:

gif
gif
gif
gif

yep, feel better now

whoa those were awesome, are those your own gifs?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Zoolader said:
whoa those were awesome, are those your own gifs?
No they're mine, Letters is my personal clip renderer. Thanks for posting the .gifs again. <3

Yes they're his.

Zoolader

MrBig said:

More specifically Forge World maps aswell as Tempest. You can't see objects/weapons or details/textures until you are 5 feet away from them. The more players the worse it gets, and it's totally unacceptable. I'm surprised more people don't complain about it. My friends and I have been doing custom game lan parties weekly since Halo 1 and this has never been an issue until Reach. We pretty much abandoned Reach for Custom games because the shipped maps are meh and forge world maps are unplayable in splitscreen.

FyreWulff

Zoolader said:
More specifically Forge World maps aswell as Tempest. You can't see objects/weapons or details/textures until you are 5 feet away from them. The more players the worse it gets, and it's totally unacceptable. I'm surprised more people don't complain about it. My friends and I have been doing custom game lan parties weekly since Halo 1 and this has never been an issue until Reach. We pretty much abandoned Reach for Custom games because the shipped maps are meh and forge world maps are unplayable in splitscreen.

As the amount of dynamic objects increases, the game must be more aggressive in splitscreen with LOD and view distance to keep the 360 from catching on fire. Hence why they made the system where Reach autogenerates the different LOD models and the Imposter system.

Which will be interesting if Bungie is truly making a single screen MMO, as it'll be the first Bungie game in 10 years that wasn't designed to accomodate 4 player split for multiplayer.

An actual geometry editor would help somewhat, but you'd still have to be very aggressive with any objects you place on the map itself, like trees/rocks/buildings.

I remember Halo 2 was aggressive with certain objects, where it'd start fading out rocks on Containment that were farther away from the middle (the ones around the camo) in single screen. Fusion coils were yellow bricks in split. Halo 3 was a lot better about it since the disc maps barely had any Forge objects and Sandbox was budget capped so you couldn't even really make a map that would push the game engine.

Cue Reach and Bungie giving us enough budget to do what we want, regardless of performance, and you end up with maps that should only be played in up to 2 player split but there's no mechanism to limit a map to a certain local player count.

And they have to keep the framerate up in 4 player split because it'll be a very bad day for everyone involved if the 4 player box is the host and it's only simulating the game at 15 frames per second :lol

One feature I'm surprised they didn't add from Far Cry 2 is the Performance meter that displays when you're walking around the map in play mode. That would have been nice to get the engine's opinion on your map's performance.

As an aside, I'd still like to see 343 attempt a "Team Mercenaries" playlist. Where it's teams but limited to party sizes of 1. This playlist could have some of the more performance intensive community Forge World maps in it as a result.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
Making shit talkers ragequit. One of the few delicious parts of this game.
It is a pretty good feeling when you make the people talking shit quit. Its even better when they challenge you to a 1v1 after they quit lol

(I usually troll them by putting on the chess map lol)

Kibbles

Zoolader said:
Yeah we've only been playing Halo 3 on System Link. Although it's not really cause split-screen sucks, it's just everyone prefers (to put it lightly) Halo 3's gameplay.

Zoolader

FyreWulff said:

I somewhat understand but I feel Bungie sacrificed too much and screwed over some of the original custom games community. From doing my own testing, aside from frame rate drops it doesn't matter if I have 10 objects or 100, things still don't materialize until you are right in front of them while in splits-screen. I'm not sure if it would make a difference but I'd rather have Forge World cut in half or have an editor more like Far Cry 2. What was stopping Bungie from having an editor on the PC, it would be much better and could have avoided this problem right? It could be that I'm just super pissed this wasn't brought to my attention til after I spent 30+ hours on a map, or it could be it's a damn shame I can't even make a simple map and play it split-screen with friends without them bitching about N64 graphics.

Kibbles said:
Yeah we've only been playing Halo 3 on System Link. Although it's not really cause split-screen sucks, it's just everyone prefers (to put it lightly) Halo 3's gameplay.

I didn't want to sound like too much of a whiner, but that's also a HUGE factor.

FyreWulff

Zoolader said:
I somewhat understand but I feel Bungie sacrificed too much and screwed over some of the original custom games community. From doing my own testing, aside from frame rate drops it doesn't matter if I have 10 objects or 100, things still don't materialize until you are right in front of them while in splits-screen. I'm not sure if it would make a difference but I'd rather have Forge World cut in half or have an editor more like Far Cry 2. What was stopping Bungie from having an editor on the PC, it would be much better and could have avoided this problem right? It could be that I'm just super pissed this wasn't brought to my attention til after I spent 30+ hours on a map, or it could be it's a damn shame I can't even make a simple map and play it split-screen with friends without them bitching about N64 graphics.

I didn't want to sound like too much of a whiner, but that's also a HUGE factor.

What'd be mostly stopping a PC based editor would have been Bungie's manpower to support it (and now 343's manpower) and Microsoft's willingness to allow people to play on maps via XNA.

I wish MS would let people use XNA to make Halo maps on console, seeing as how it seems they barely want to spend any money to commission Bungie or Certain Affinity to make maps as it is. It'd be neato if Halo could get something like the Rock Band Network but with maps.

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:
What'd be mostly stopping a PC based editor would have been Bungie's manpower to support it (and now 343's manpower) and Microsoft's willingness to allow people to play on maps via XNA.

I wish MS would let people use XNA to make Halo maps on console, seeing as how it seems they barely want to spend any money to commission Bungie or Certain Affinity to make maps as it is. It'd be neato if Halo could get something like the Rock Band Network but with maps.
Ive suggested this before. I really think it would be great but don't think they will do it.

Top Bottom