• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

xxjuicesxx said:
Day 1: Delete AR's from every single playlist.
Day 2: Remove AA's from every playlist.
Day 3: Remove Vehicles from every map and playlist.

I dunno about 3, just remove their ability to be offensive at least on hemorrhage. Otherwise you're just going to get DMR/sniper stand offs in every big team match. In fact I've always suggested Halo should have really strong (but weaponless) transport vehicles that can transport a lot of people at once, if they're going to continue making maps that are huge.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
Juices starts his new job in a week. Coincidence?
qiGEH.gif

xxjuicesxx said:
Day 1: Delete AR's from every single playlist.
Day 2: Remove AA's from every playlist.
Day 3: Remove Vehicles from every map and playlist.
qcLtV.gif

Devolution said:
Oh I know I have it based on how encounters go but whatever, you're just going to keep up this game of patronizing me.
Can you please stop playing the victim here? Why all this patronising malarky? I genuinely don't know how host is so clear cut for people (Note: I said people, not just you) in Reach. If this was Halo 3 I'd take your (plural) word no bother. Reach's netcode dramatically increased the quality of matches I play and as a result, I can't relate with what other player's experiences are. I consistently play with Zalin, Hyper, Xand and Overdoziz. That's 5 players over 3 continents (if Over is in fact from Aus/NZ). I rarely, if ever, get laggy games or discernible games where I have host or not.

I genuinely want to know why your experiences radically differ from mine. That's why I asked.

Hydranockz said:
Can you please stop playing the victim here? Why all this patronising malarky? I genuinely don't know how host is so clear cut for people (Note: I said people, not just you) in Reach. If this was Halo 3 I'd take your (plural) word no bother. Reach's netcode dramatically increased the quality of matches I play and as a result, I can't relate with what other player's experiences are. I consistently play with Zalin, Hyper, Xand and Overdoziz. That's 5 players over 3 continents (if Over is in fact from Aus/NZ). I rarely, if ever, get laggy games or discernible games where I have host or not.

I genuinely want to know why your experiences radically differ from mine. That's why I asked.

I will play several games in which I'm not host, and these can vary from bad too good hosts, same with the players, but my shots will not consistently be 5 shot quick kills. I get host and it's like every single shot I fire matters. And people die in no time flat. There is no way I just suddenly upped my game or switched playing styles so dramatically that it should happen like that. Even against not so good players I can see shots literally not register, if it's my host? Whole other story.

Since I put the 360 on LAN I've been getting host more consistently and noticing a big difference in how many of my DMR shots are registering either on mine or off.

i nerini del buio said:

Blasphemy!

Actually, I quite enjoyed the Gears 3 beta. It's the first Gears game with a decent balance between the rifles and shotguns and it improved the game immensely in my opinion.

Plywood said:
Have they said if any known glitches are going to be fixed in the TU or not?

They haven't said anything about that. Good discussion point though.

We all have our gameplay changes we would ideally like to see, but what glitches/bugs does GAF want to see fixed in the TU?

FyreWulff

Plywood said:
Have they said if any known glitches are going to be fixed in the TU or not?

Nope. Which is why I'm going to ask about the Gauss Hog at the panel, because the fact that it's shots clip through Forge objects basically means it cannot be used in matchmaking.

Steelyuhas said:
Blasphemy!

Actually, I quite enjoyed the Gears 3 beta. It's the first Gears game with a decent balance between the rifles and shotguns and it improved the game immensely in my opinion.

I liked the multiplayer a lot more in the beta, but they really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the sawed-off.

Zoolader

Devolution said:
I dunno about 3, just remove their ability to be offensive at least on hemorrhage. Otherwise you're just going to get DMR/sniper stand offs in every big team match. In fact I've always suggested Halo should have really strong (but weaponless) transport vehicles that can transport a lot of people at once, if they're going to continue making maps that are huge.

Is there a laser on Hemorrhage yet? I remember alot of people complaining about the laser on Valhalla in Halo 3, because it prevented them from controlling the map with vehicles. Although I haven't had any problems with vehicles on that map since the removal of the tank. Also if there were a few more plasma grenades on the map that's always a good way to destroy vehicles.

FyreWulff said:
I liked the multiplayer a lot more in the beta, but they really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the sawed-off.

Yeah that sawed-off is pretty horrifyingly bad. Apparently its received some adjustments since the beta. Hopefully its not as rage inducing in the final game.

Why does it seem that in every major multiplayer game, no matter how good it is, there is always one aspect, power up, weapon, etc that is such a horrible idea to begin with that is almost brings the game to its knees?

FyreWulff

There's another bug where if you enter a game by yourself with limited lives and die, the game won't end until time runs out or you manually end it. Pete the Duck needed it to end for one of his custom creations, I reported it to Jeremiah, and Jeremiah said it was sent onto the proper people. So that's another one to check for when the TU goes live.

I'm trying to remember any obvious bugs from Halo 3 that were fixed in TU2, but all I can remember was that the "only host can edit in Forge" setting was finally fixed in TU2, they didn't publically disclose any other bugs that it fixed. Besides the one they had a screenshot of from one of Urk's writeups on Bungie's method of bug tracking and squashing. It was something about how skyboxes broke in a host switch pre-TU2 Halo 3.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Steelyuhas said:
Yeah that sawed-off is pretty horrifyingly bad. Apparently its received some adjustments since the beta. Hopefully its not as rage inducing in the final game.

Why does it seem that in every major multiplayer game, no matter how good it is, there is always one aspect, power up, weapon, etc that is such a horrible idea to begin with that is almost brings the game to its knees?

I loved the Beta aside from shenanigans from the Sawed Off, but the only change I heard about for that weapon for retail is that they're adding lights to it so you know when someone's carrying it.

Oh well, I'm going to play some Gears 3 at PAX so I'll find out.

Steelyuhas said:
We are but human?

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:

200912721529_7.jpg

Panels I want to attend:

Friday:
Halo: Anniversary
Pegasus Theatre (Sheraton)
10:00am–11:00am

Halo Community: Fragging, Forge, and Flowers (?)
Halo Fest
12:00pm–1:00pm

Darksiders II - Creating More Than Just a Sequel
Pegasus Theatre
Friday 1:00pm - 2:00pm

What’s Next for Waypoint (?)
Halo Fest
2:00pm–3:00pm

Halo Universe
Pegasus Theatre (Sheraton)
4:00pm–5:00pm

Saturday:
Bungie: Hatching the Cosmic Halo Egg*
Halo Fest
12:00pm-1:00pm

Irrational Games*
Unicorn Theatre
Saturday 2:00pm - 3:00pm

Halo Universe Fiction*
Halo Fest
3:30pm-4:30pm

Halo Anniversary Campaign Discussion
Halo Fest
5:00pm-6:00pm

Sunday:
Halo 4
Main Theater (Paramount)
10:00am–11:00am

Xbox talks 10 years of Halo
Halo Fest
11:30am-12:15pm

Halo Anniversary Multiplayer
Halo Fest
12:45pm-1:30pm

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Make Art for Indie Games
Raven Theatre
Sunday 1:30pm - 2:30pm

Inside Gearbox Software
Pegasus Theatre
Sunday 3:00pm - 4:00pm

Running Xbox LIVE
Unicorn Theatre
Sunday 4:30pm - 5:30pm​

About Friday's panel problem: I loved Darksiders 1. And I'll buy Darksiders 2 on day 1. But I want to hear, what the biggest and the most important guys have to say about Halo.(I'm looking to you, right now, Louis Wu.) 405th guys have done and still do some amazing works. But I don't care about Grifball.(Sorry Grifball lovers) And I never heard about Reach tricks. So I guess I'm going to watch the Darksiders 2 panel. Otherwise I could use the time to play Halo: CE:A.

About Saturday's panel problem: (*) Irrational Games Panel is going to be one of the biggest panel. BioShock Infinite is one of my must have games in 2012. And that could be a reason against this panel. I don't really want to hear some story spoilers. And when I skip the IG panel, I can attend the Halo toy panel. And my convention sense smells a lot of swag in this panel.

About Sunday's panel problem: I love Indie games. I love them. For the humble Indie pack I pay $10-$100, because I want to support small Indie developers. And the Art in Indie games is fucking amazing the most time.(See Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Braid etc.). Otherwise I skip this panel, I can attend the Gearbox Panel, see Borderlands 2, Aliens CM and get free pizza.

I totally stole your Idea, Hitmonchan107

Hitmonchan107 said:
The Sorting Workshop
Unicorn Theatre
Sunday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Writing Workshop: Journalism, PR, Community Managers
Industry vets inflict writing on attendees to determine where in the industry an aspiring writer belongs. A game developer and publicist kick things off with a 10-minute product demo that you get 20 minutes to write up. Then a panel of journalists, community managers, and publicists sort your writing samples into which field it ought to be in based on tone, content, and accuracy. You won't be graded, but you might be mocked with dramatic readings of your sample. Whatever happens, you'll have a chance to make industry contacts and learn the difference between writing for journalism, for community management, for marketing, and for PR. Bring pens, pencils, and a surface to write on (we recommend the PAX guide) -- we'll provide the rest.
Panelists include: AJ Glasser [Lead Writer, Inside Social Games, Inside Network], Susan Arendt [Senior Editor, The Escapist], Dan Amrich [Social Media Manager, Activision], Sue Bohle [Founder, The Bohle Company], John "Seg" Seggerson [Content Programmer, Telltale Games][/indent]
It would be funny if I attended this panel/workshop. If they read my article, they would be mad. And I would go out with *insertDevolution'scryingPikachu*. Otherwise this is a very good panel for you, dude. (Even If I like already your writing style) For me too. They could give me hints to write better articles/analysis etc. So I can use their hints in my next exam.

I just hope the playlist changes compress everything down to where I get more evenly skilled matches.

OT: Any of you guys iCarly fans? (I hope not). I heard this morning that Meranda Cosgrove's tour bus got in an accident and she's in my towns hospital with a broken ankle. You can imagine how random that is. I drove by the hospital when I was going to a bud's house and there were people outside with signs saying "Get well soon iCarly" and things like that :lol

Also, my Facebook absolutely exploded with my friends (I'm in highschool, so all the kids I know are familiar with iCarly) freaking out about it. So weird.
Bread said:
Would anyone want to join my game and check out my forge map I'm working on and give me some pointers? I'm trying to build a 4v4 arena-style map, but I'm not sure if it's too simple right now.

I will really quick. I'll send you a message with my name in it.

Bread

Banned
Would anyone want to join my game and check out my forge map I'm working on and give me some pointers? I'm trying to build a 4v4 arena-style map, but I'm not sure if it's too simple right now.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
one bursting at the seams with Covenant, at the communications outpost.

Another whole topic is the portrayal of Reach. From the expanded fiction we know it's the UNSC naval shipyard, the home of the Spartan program, the height of UNSC military power. Yet, it apparently has a crumbling infrastructure. ONI Sword Base needs power from what looks to be a run down shack housing some generators from the 1970's. This mammoth ship building yard is accessed via a two-lane dirt road, and the facility itself appears really run down and patched together. It's such an odd portrayal of the planet, and not what I envisioned it to be.

So true. Reach felt as though it was colonized 5 years ago.

TrounceX

Letters said:
Loadouts ruin everything and need to go, but bloom should stay, it's important for balance reasons.

j9aln6.jpg

Balancing skill levels I mean.
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=29949541&postcount=9451

Lol I don't see the problem with this GIF. Whoever this person is, probably unintentionally, shot the DMR perfectly. At that range you can get a head shot even with an open bloom if you twitch up and across the enemies head like that.

Learning how fast you can shoot at a specific range by manipulating the magnetism to your advantage, is the biggest skill gap Reach has.

I think I finally learned why everyone hates the bloom so much in this thread.

kylej

Banned
TrounceX said:
Lol I don't see the problem with this GIF. Whoever this person is, probably unintentionally, shot the DMR perfectly. At that range you can get a head shot even with an open bloom if you twitch up and across the enemies head like that.

Learning how fast you can shoot at a specific range by manipulating the magnetism to your advantage, is the biggest skill gap Reach has.

That person has arguably the best aim of any Halo player in the world and he got out DMRed by a random kid from HaloGAF who spammed his shots as fast as possible. If you don't see why a mechanic that allows this to happen isn't frustrating for many people here, I don't know what to say.

kylej said:
That person has arguably the best aim of any Halo player in the world and he got out DMRed by a random kid from HaloGAF who spammed his shots as fast as possible. If you don't see why a mechanic that allows this to happen isn't frustrating for many people here, I don't know what to say.
I see his shots flying left and right of Letters.... He should have the lost encounter really.

4:34am dp, my bad :lol

Tawpgun

kylej said:
This.

At the closer ranges the DMR breaks down. A gray area appears where you aren't sure if you should spam or pace or spam then wait because. There is no skill in that decision, only luck.
Both players can have perfect aim, but whoever chooses the luckiest way to shoot will win.

Does not belong in Haloz.

GhaleonEB

TrounceX said:

Tunavi said:
That GIF is letters shooting Roy and Pistola from Team Instinct... He spammed and won
I'm trying to think of a better way for this assertion to be responded to, but I can't think of one. That's it, folks. We're done here. Game over.

TrounceX

kylej said:

Anyone can out DMR someone else on XBL. Random guy from GAF was tanking shots or Roy wasn't trying because it's a random game of matchmaking. That's beside the point though.

I am telling you right now that if you twitch your reticule exactly like that guy in the GIF does you can consistently out DMR people by spamming your shots.

edit: How can people who are so passionate about Halo willfully stick their head in the ground whenever I try and offer serious advice? That shot may have been lucky but it was not random. Go ahead and keep getting mad at this game while I continue dominating kids because I learned to adapt instead of crying on a forum day in and day out. jesus

senador

Banned
Tunavi said:
That GIF is letters shooting Roy and Pistola from Team Instinct... He spammed and won

Ha I didn't realize it was Letters or that the problem was that Letters got the kill. I thought it was that it took so long to kill the red guy even though the aim was perfect.

I don't want to get into the bloom game (used to not mind it, starting to hate it), but I think Letters getting the kill is just fine other than the length of time it took. He has his reticule on him, and he wasn't that far away. You'll notice even spamming the reticule was basically over the body the entire time, so yeah the shots should be hitting. The problem I have, then is that at full bloom, headshots should happen in my opinion.

But yeah, with networking and such I don't like bloom and I hope its gone in 4.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm trying to think of a better way for this assertion to be responded to, but I can't think of one. That's it, folks. We're done here. Game over.
Letters only missed the shots where the reticule was blue and when Pistola was behind that rock:)lol). Bloom was never really putting him at a disadvantage as the reticule was always mostly coering Pistola at that distance. Pistola is clearly missing far more shots.

Letters, can you slow that gif a few times please?

James Clavell said:
"Always remember, child," her first teacher had impressed on her, "that to think bad thoughts is really the easiest thing in the world. If you leave your mind to itself it will spiral you down into ever-increasing unhappiness. To think good thoughts, however, requires effort. This is one of the things that need disipline –training- is about. So train your mind to dwell on sweet perfumes, the touch of this silk, tender raindrops against the shoji, the curve of the flower arrangement, the tranquillity of dawn. Then, at length, you won't have to make such a great effort and you will be of value to yourself…"

I'm sensing another skirmish in the HaloGAF civil war about to start, so I'll leave this here

TrounceX

Tunavi said:
Have you no Halo honor?

I have no idea what you mean but apparently not.

I get so aggravated reading this thread sometimes. I try to take a step down from the MLG community and play the game more casually but you guys make me even more mad.

I really mean what I said before. You can either adapt to the bloom or get mad and complain about it. It is not as random as you think I proved that to myself a long time ago. Go look at my B.Net right now I destroy everybody off host with 1mb farm DSL

FyreWulff

If Halo 4 has dedicated servers, for the love of god, let us run our box as one so we can just have friends join and play our rotation.

So many OXbox games let you do this and it just kind of disappeared on the 360 :(

I used to leave my OXbox running as a Rainbow Six or Counterstrike dedicated server when I was asleep or at work.

Tawpgun

TrounceX said:
I am telling you right now that if you twitch your reticule exactly like that guy in the GIF does you can consistently out DMR people by spamming your shots.
How consistent really. This is the first I've heard of it. Twitching the reticle while spamming shots?

TrounceX said:
edit: How can people who are so passionate about Halo willfully stick their head in the ground whenever I try and offer serious advice? That shot may have been lucky but it was not random. Go ahead and keep getting mad at this game while I continue dominating kids because I learned to adapt instead of crying on a forum day in and day out. jesus
BP4VY.png

No one is sticking their head in the ground. We're just dumbfounded that there is a way to CONSISTENTLY 5 shot people by spamming.

I've seen no proof or this or anything. The gif letters posted is more proof of blooms failures then some underlying skill mechanic. I might test this twitch shit tomorrow though.

TrounceX said:
I have no idea what you mean but apparently not.

I get so aggravated reading this thread sometimes. I try to take a step down from the MLG community and play the game more casually but you guys make me even more mad.

I really mean what I said before. You can either adapt to the bloom or get mad and complain about it. It is not as random as you think I proved that to myself a long time ago. Go look at my B.Net right now I destroy everybody off host with 1mb farm DSL

We "complain" because we care. If Halo 4 shipped with something we didn't like the proper response isn't DEAL WITH IT. It's to bring the issue to attention. We want Halo to be great and we think bloom is making it worse.

It's not SUPER random. A better player will win MOST of the time. But its more random then it ever has been. It isn't consistent enough for me.

TrounceX

A27 Tawpgun said:
How consistent really. This is the first I've heard of it. Twitching the reticle while spamming shots?

BP4VY.png

No one is sticking their head in the ground. We're just dumbfounded that there is a way to CONSISTENTLY 5 shot people by spamming.

I've seen no proof or this or anything. The gif letters posted is more proof of blooms failures then some underlying skill mechanic. I might test this twitch shit tomorrow though.

Not so much spam 5 shotting everyone, more so just getting that last head shot in. It obviously takes some time to master but the best advice I can give is kind of a backwards "J" shape twitch. Up and across the enemies head.

And I wouldn't call it a game mechanic so much as just manipulating the magnetism to your advantage. Think sweep sniping in Halo 2.

It's consistent enough to where I almost never get out DMR'd or get mad at the bloom anymore. I used to hate the bloom so much back in the day. Then one week I played an MLG FFA to 1000 kills every single night with 8 friends. I tried every single way to shoot that thing properly until I figured it out. It works, trust me.

Risen

TrounceX said:
Anyone can out DMR someone else on XBL. Random guy from GAF was tanking shots or Roy wasn't trying because it's a random game of matchmaking. That's beside the point though.

I think the point in that .gif is that his aim wasn't that good, he spammed, and won the encounter. Sure the last shot was exactly where it needed to be in order to get the kill - in fact if he places that shot there, when the opponent is one shot, he wins the encounter almost every time... but if you think that was anything other than bloom plus connection = win, you have your "head in the ground."

You are not the only person in GAF that knows how bloom works, but you are definitely one of the few that thinks it actually increases the skill gap. In theory it does... heck, I'll go as far as to say that there is definite skill in knowing when and how to pace shots based on the connection, distance, and bloom... and yet in practice on XBL, it does MUCH more to increase a connection gap than a skill gap....

A27 Tawpgun said:

Aiming high and using the bottom of the bloomed reticle will have the bullet landing the headshot much more consistently... there is also a difference to how high you have to aim with a fully bloomed reticle when ON host vs OFF.

Tawpgun

TrounceX said:
Not so much spam 5 shotting everyone, more so just getting that last head shot in. It obviously takes some time to master but the best advice I can give is kind of a backwards "J" shape twitch. Up and across the enemies head.

And I wouldn't call it a game mechanic so much as just manipulating the magnetism to your advantage. Think sweep sniping in Halo 2.
I still think thats full of shit, but I'll give it a try.

However lets assume it is real. That would mean you are breaking intended design in order to get a more consistent shot. It's still bad design and needs to be nuked out of the franchise.

Top Bottom