• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

I'm sorry, but all this talk of how inconsistent bloom is depending on connection makes no sense to me.

Bloom as a mechanic is fine. It's the DMR's long mapping skills that run counter to that. Ghaleon hit the nail on the head a while back in that respect.

I am honestly taken aback by the hostility Gaf gives anyone who so much as hints to thinking differently to you guys. God help that person if they are a junior too.

HaloGaf is seemingly core players complaining about broken mechanics and new people getting shit for actually enjoying Reach. What community does that? I remember back when it was the other way around...

:lol

Have you shopped recently at Bloomingdales? I know theres a store in Bloomington. I hope the title update comes Soon.

orlando-bloom-im079.jpg

xxjuicesxx said:
Shadowrun dog avatar. You sir win.

It was my favorite game growing up. I made my mom rent it for me over and over again until I was able to finish it! They don't make 'em like they used to.

Whatever happened to Shadowrun 2? That was a huge tease.

Here is my problem with the DMR mechanic. Given a good network connection in Halo 3, a BR vs BR fight came down to the guy with better aim. I had a solid 4 shot, most of the time. And when I wasn't hitting my stuff, I knew it was my fault.

I feel like most of the fun has been taken out of the DMR vs DMR encounter due to the bloom. It would be more challenging to have a set cadence, like the BR, but a perfectly true aim on every shot. My aim proving better than my opponents aim means I had better hand-eye coordination. Most of that has been tossed aside.

Nothing is more boring than listening to two people, somewhere on the map, go at it with the DMR at full speed. I feel bad for both of them, shake my head, and press on..

I still play, of course. Onyx 50% this season!

Hydranockz said:
I'm sorry, but all this talk of how inconsistent bloom is depending on connection makes no sense to me.

Bloom as a mechanic is fine. It's the DMR's long mapping skills that run counter to that. Ghaleon hit the nail on the head a while back in that respect.

I am honestly taken aback by the hostility Gaf gives anyone who so much as hints to thinking differently to you guys. God help that person if they are a junior too.

HaloGaf is seemingly core players complaining about broken mechanics and new people getting shit for actually enjoying Reach. What community does that? I remember back when it was the other way around...

:lol
if you've ever seen your shots hit the person but do no damage you'd understand. maybe that's just host connection in general. but still.

also I thought the Spartan jumping picture was for increased jump height

Ken

Gui_PT said:
Story would've been different is that gun had bloom
The result would have been the same regardless of bloom because the Bungie staffer has already learned how fast he can shoot at a specific range by manipulating the magnetism to his advantage, the biggest skill gap life has.

Gui_PT

Ken said:
The result would have been the same regardless of bloom because the Bungie staffer has already learned how fast he can shoot at a specific range by manipulating the magnetism to his advantage, the biggest skill gap life has.

You saying he... adapted, or something?

ShortBizzle said:
Braved it last night entering Team Objective alone. I immediately regretted that decision. I went -1 while the rest of my team went a combined -33 before quitting early on a neutral bomb game. I'm thankful the other team showed mercy and scored quickly after they quit. (Even tho I didn't appreciate the few English words they knew)

This sucked

Icing on the cake is that my teammates had a combined total of 0 kills, and they were playing!

After reading some of Ghal's review they remind me of Kat. Thanks for being a distraction guys!

This sums up playing with randoms in Reach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=togQKkA_Zws&feature=player_detailpage#t=43s

There is no 7 foot chief in Reach

Devolution said:
Oh I know I have it based on how encounters go but whatever, you're just going to keep up this game of patronizing me.
Oh please. The only way you're going to verify host is if:

1) Radar is on.
2) Hologram is available and you or another player uses it.
3) You see opponents' holograms as red and/or teammates' holograms as yellow on your radar. This only occurs on the host box.

Speaking of which, this can't have been intended design for the hologram, no? Someone should ask about it at the panel.

There are too many variables to "feel" host based on game play and anyone who claims to be able to is overly arrogant (I have a friend I play with that does this--I just roll my eyes).

JB1981

Pretty amazing how dialed-in Ghaleon is with the Halo gameplay. You write about quite a few things that I never noticed before in that article. I also replayed a bit of Halo 3 last night and I think it's better than Reach. I also prefer the art style

BackdoorBeauty said:
It was my favorite game growing up. I made my mom rent it for me over and over again until I was able to finish it! They don't make 'em like they used to.

Whatever happened to Shadowrun 2? That was a huge tease.

I did the SAME thing. Finally had my mom locate a copy (Incredibly hard) and they wanted 79 dollars for it which was insane at the time but I still went ahead and did it.

That image of Drake saying see you in Shadowrun II still haunts me to this fucking day. I used to climb the towers thinking there had to be a way to unlock extra floors cause I wanted MORE.

On a Halo related note, when I wake up I gotta finish that weekly but its donging all night. 6pmEST and on.

I also finally added my setup post, if anyone wants to see how its done.
How I record/cap/stream so on.

FyreWulff said:
What'd be mostly stopping a PC based editor would have been Bungie's manpower to support it (and now 343's manpower) and Microsoft's willingness to allow people to play on maps via XNA.

I wish MS would let people use XNA to make Halo maps on console, seeing as how it seems they barely want to spend any money to commission Bungie or Certain Affinity to make maps as it is. It'd be neato if Halo could get something like the Rock Band Network but with maps.

Yeah, it would be great to have even more maps that would never come up in Matchmaking!

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
Yeah, it would be great to have even more maps that would never come up in Matchmaking!
Yeah it would be real tricky to work in but lets say it worked like Halo 2 Vista.

You have a map downloaded but others in your party don't, it will let them download it off you before the game starts. Add in a custom game browser and we are all good. Maybe include a rating system in there as well to see what might make it into MM.

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah it would be real tricky to work in but lets say it worked like Halo 2 Vista.

You have a map downloaded but others in your party don't, it will let them download it off you before the game starts. Add in a custom game browser and we are all good. Maybe include a rating system in there as well to see what might make it into MM.

All the maps would have to be free for that to work, and we all know that isn't going to happen.

Homeboyd

This is why I'd still like to see a CBA on DLC so that I can finally understand why there is such a long wait between DLC maps for Halo games (and when we do get them, so few maps at a time). CEA will be a nice addition but even still thats an 8 month wait between map packs.

If enough people are buying them, I'd have certain affinity (or a co. like them) constantly at work. But I don't know who's buying them and I don't know what it's costing to build them.

Ken said:
Pure awesome. I'm about to go to sleep, but your post was amazing and I had to let you know. Thanks.

senador said:
wat

No seriously, what?

what wat?
TrounceX came here saying something like "stop complaining, bloom is cool, new depth to halo gameplay, indeed I dong on everybody everyday look at my b.net, you just suck at Reach and thus complain, stop it"

uncalled for, if you ask me.

TrounceX said:
Sorry if it came off that way or if I seem condescending.

no prob. <3

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:

As bad as Halo 2 Vista was on a technical level that was one feature they got right. That's for damn sure.

GhaleonEB

JB1981 said:
Pretty amazing how dialed-in Ghaleon is with the Halo gameplay. You write about quite a few things that I never noticed before in that article. I also replayed a bit of Halo 3 last night and I think it's better than Reach. I also prefer the art style
Thanks. I played through a Halo 3 mission last night as well, in co-op, and the difference is enormous. We went through Crow's Nest on Legendary, which is bursting with great encounters. I'd honestly forgotten just how brutal (ha) Chieftains were. I miss those kind of "oh crap" moments, where we run into something and have to really try to figure out how to handle it.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. I played through a Halo 3 mission last night as well, in co-op, and the difference is enormous. We went through Crow's Nest on Legendary, which is bursting with great encounters. I'd honestly forgotten just how brutal (ha) Chieftains were. I miss those kind of "oh crap" moments, where we run into something and have to really try to figure out how to handle it.
Chieftans were harder to fight than any Elite in Reach (assuming you had a p pistol) but they were piss easy once you figured out their weakness... They can't hit shit above them. In 3 and ODST all you had to do is jump over them. Super easy. Fuel Rod Heros were the scary ones.

I hope keep the 2 weapon mechanic in Halo 4 to take out strong enemies... But I hope its not as easy as plasma pistol headshot. Fighting Elites without a plasma pistol or even plasma weapon is amazing.

Don't you just love it when some kids are being cocky and you hear them say "back off i've got the sniper i'll get him" as you pop round a corner and proceed to perfectly land a grenade launcher shot into his face and listen to the cries of "WTF" as you t-bag his body.

Good times.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Chieftans were harder to fight than any Elite in Reach (assuming you had a p pistol) but they were piss easy once you figured out their weakness... They can't hit shit above them. In 3 and ODST all you had to do is jump over them. Super easy. Fuel Rod Heros were the scary ones.

I hope keep the 2 weapon mechanic in Halo 4 to take out strong enemies... But I hope its not as easy as plasma pistol headshot. Fighting Elites without a plasma pistol or even plasma weapon is amazing.
Crow's Nest has a number of FRG and plasma turret ones, including one encounter with both near the end. We got rocked so hard it became comical.

teamaxe

GhaleonEB said:
Crow's Nest has a number of FRG and plasma turret ones, including one encounter with both near the end. We got rocked so hard it became comical.

I like going up to the Command Center, grabbing the Invisible, keeping it all the way to the very end and assassinating the FRG Brute in the middle of all of his buddies and then wasting them with his gun. That's definitely a highlight of the Campaign for me. I love that they hide an Invisibility in a place where you never have to go.

Anyone else not particularly like being host in Reach? The reticule feels like its been greased up, you can take less liabilities with magnetism, sniping is certainly more difficult. Melee's and grenades are more consistant though and you can often sponge additional damage.

Personally, I find optimal networking conditions to be when one of my friends who lives nearby has host; all my shots register but the reticule feels 'stickier'.

Top Bottom