• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

xxjuicesxx said:
I think not having host or having a shitty connection is the easiest cop-out when you're just not playing well.

Anyone else agree?
I think it's an easy cop-out sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I still usually go positive when I don't have host, I just am not doing as well as I could.

xxjuicesxx said:
I think not having host or having a shitty connection is the easiest cop-out when you're just not playing well.

Anyone else agree?

Depends. Some days I can tell I'm playing like shit. Other days it's so up and down I can only assume I'm dealing with some bullshit hosts when my shots just don't kill people. I don't think my level of play would change so dramatically otherwise. And of course I'm talking against similar skilled opponents. Gettin' shit on by MLG tryhards is just something else altogether.

Risen

xxjuicesxx said:

Anyone else agree?

I think a ton of people blame bad game play on the connection... and unless one has experience playing on different connections and LAN, one has a pretty limited view from which to make comparisons.

I think very few people are self aware, spend any time thoughtfully looking at their game play, or attempt to improve their play.

I play on shit internet for gaming... low upload, high latency, high download - I'm the inverse of an online "warrior" - and I bitch and complain about it too much. Mostly that rises from knowing my skill level in reality and being unable to play as I'd be able to play on LAN or a better connection.

Having said that, I rarely will blame a loss on connection - if I go negative because of the connection, I may lament the fact shots are hitting me like bricks while mine are fluffy bunnies kids laugh at and charge one shot through... but it's my fault if I stay face up and die.

Hypertrooper said:
You don't say: Fucking GRENADES.

I'm disappointed :/

Oh I did last night for sure when the host reset, I didn't have my dash anymore, managed to go several kills without dying, try to make it to health pack while shield fucked and lo and behold LUCKY NADE RIGHT UP MY ASS.

I was pretty pissed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo 4 wish list:

1: Make bullets, grenades and rockets able to pass through flag poles.

To be continued...

GhaleonEB said:
That's my line on Countdown. When I am able to shout over the din of grenades blowing me up, that is.

I almost wish you could make nades fall and explode like barrels. I'd make a countdown where nades are constantly falling from the ceiling. I doubt it would play much different than the real thing sometimes.

Call it something like Its Raining Cats and NADES.

Tunavi said:
Playing Halo with Devolution:
"OMG THIS HOST SUCKS"
"OMG WHAT A TRYHARD"
"OMG I HATE BLOOM"
"OMG I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME"

Also playing Halo with Tunavi:
"OMG THIS HOST SUCKS"
"OMG WHAT A TRYHARD"
"OMG I HATE BLOOM"
"OMG I FUCKING HATE THIS GAME"
"OMG I'M A SCRUB"

:p

GhaleonEB said:
That's my line on Countdown. When I am able to shout over the din of grenades blowing me up, that is.

Countdown and Zealot have me literally screaming for mercy from grenades the whole time.

Tashi0106 said:
Halo 4 wish list:

1: Make bullets, grenades and rockets able to pass through flag poles.

To be continued...

NEVER! The flag is my shield!!

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Devolution said:
I almost wish you could make nades fall and explode like barrels. I'd make a countdown where nades are constantly falling from the ceiling. I doubt it would play much different than the real thing sometimes.

Call it something like Its Raining Cats and NADES.

I like this idea.

It's raining nades, Hallelujah!

Tunavi

Banned
hey i am not a scrub

Random question:
What do you guys think of 1-flag Pinnacle? I know a lot of people hate it, but personally I love it, its the only gametype that is good for that map. Of course, I'm the biggest fan of 1-flag on this forum...

Tunavi said:
^hey i am not a scrub

Random question:
What do you guys think of 1-flag Pinnacle? I know a lot of people hate it, but personally I love it, its the only gametype that is good for that map.

Sometimes it suffers from bad spawns but then again what doesn't. I feel like any critique of a given map or gametype is so universal, it's dumb to even say anything critical anymore.

/negative nancy

GhaleonEB said:
Unfortunately it's my line on every small map. Zealot, Countdown, Swordbase etc. You nearly have no chance to evade the grenades on these maps. Especially on Zealot. One thing, I noticed, is the rain of grenades on Zealot. The most time 2-3 grenades are coming into my way. And the only comment I give: FU**ING GRENADES! Otherwise you could fix it easily:
In Squad Slayer, Give the player only one Grenade in the Loadout like Slayer Pro.

Risen said:
2. Grenades that bounce consistently

Yeah.

Just the other day I watched a frag of mine on tempest stick to a rock.

xxjuicesxx said:
Especially on Reflection wtf is with grenades sticking into wood floors? Makes absolutely no sense.

Fuck I know. It's like random spots on maps (or all of reflection) have thick invisible carpet texture. Stuff just sticks.

I'm still left wondering why Bungie chose to use their final Halo game to quite literally "try out" so many new multiplayer mechanics, and with so few usable maps for any gametype other than Slayer.

I long for the days of Standoff CTF with two good teams. 8v8.. 15 minute long games of laser control, BR fights, and thrilling flag captures.

And yes, everyone knew how to handle equipment, you didn't have to give everyone active camo.. Camo comes up at x time, plan for it. Then you can make your move for the flag. You save that bubble shield for your flag escape. The Reach equivalent of the Drop Shield is hilarious! Standoff today would look like a moon base landscape from one base to the next. Bubble shields for everyone!

Reach killed BTB. There, I said it.

Edit: There is still fun to be had in BTB today, of course. But its more about having yuks..

GhaleonEB said:
Grenades would be easier to avoid if everyone had Evade Armor Lock.

:trollface

Fixed. Broken.

I finally read your Campaign Review. Fantastic work, lots of good insight.

Really makes me want to play through again this weekend, although I won't see it the same way as before. :p

lybertyboy said:
Fixed that for ya.
Represent.

*fist bump*

GhaleonEB

I am stuck at work on a loaner PC for a bit, where all I can do is surf and read email, so here's a list of some things I either didn't mention or edited out about the Reach campaign. Random thoughts:

I still feel like Halo 1 and Halo 3 are the only games in the series to have a strong sense of internal pacing. The gradual build up in scale, in both the combat and environments, from Sierra 117 through to The Covenant is masterful. Reach's design and narrative momentum is quite uneven.

I didn't comment on co-op play, but it does make some of the sequences I railed on much better. The siege at the end of The Package is way more fun if players take different approaches. I had a game where I was in a Banshee, as was another player, while someone else got a Wraith and another was working heavy ordnance and the automated turrets. It was still too long, but a blast.

I don't like how co-op is balanced, though. For instance, the start of Tip of the Spear swaps out our DMR for an AR, and chopps the Grenade Launcher ammo down to 4. It's a cheap way to balance a game.

I had drafted a long section on mission objectives, and how they typically revolve around AA guns or communications outages. I wonder whether there was communication between everyone on the sub-objectives, as they are re-used too often.

I've been thinking a lot about the Brute Chopper. Not just how it was a great vehicle, but how it was envisioned as part of a subset of the combat sandbox and the way it was integrated into the missions. There was this clear vision for what the Brute vehicles and weapons were, and how they reflected their culture, and the Chopper was spawned from that. The roads and hills of Tsavo Highway and the dunes of The Ark were perfect environments for the Chopper to be showcased. Sort of how sniper missions are crafted for sniping, or how the second mission in Halo 1 was made for the Warthog. By contrast, there's no uniform vision for what role the Revenant had in the campaign. It's just sort of dropped in there a couple times. (It's also a contrast to the Falcon, which had an entire mission built around it.) It's another way that the combat sandbox and the missions themselves feel like they were not designed with close coordination.

Stuff blows up real good in Reach. I loved the explosions in Halo 3, but going back to it last night reminded me of how great Reach is in this regard. The explosions are so...explosive, with tons of debris, smoke, etc. I blow up as much stuff as possible on every level.

Gui_PT said:
She had to quit school because of people like you. I hope you're proud!
Why? I'm not the bullying guy. At school I'm the guy: GOD DAMMIT STOP IT! I want to solve this!

Otherwise I will never belong to the cool guys like you, because I haven't a moustache.

Kuroyume

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
So annoying trying to bounce a nade off the floor and having it just stop...

Bring back the bouncy H2 and 3 nades.

You must have like some special version of Halo 3 where grenades also don't stick.

thezerofire said:
I tried to throw a grenade on Reflection from Sniper to Rockets and it stuck on the rail :/

The frag grenades in this game are secretly spike grenades from H3. They stick to everything, including other players.

thezerofire said:
I tried to throw a grenade on Reflection from Sniper to Rockets and it stuck on the rail :/
Clearly you should have used jetpack to rain grenades down from a higher angle.

I really hope Reflection pops up in one of the Classic Playlists. I miss Ivory Tower.

Kuroyume said:
You must have like some special version of Halo 3 where grenades also don't stick.
they didn't to my experience. They bounced pretty perfectly to wherever I wanted, unless there was some stupid unfinished texture stopping them

and obviously frags and not stickies

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
Very very rarely for me. H3 had annoying textures, but the nades were hella more consistent than reaches.

ncsuDuncan said:
I really hope Reflection pops up in one of the Classic Playlists. I miss Ivory Tower.

The H2 OS and shotgun spawns make the map significantly better. I'd be down for it to be the classic playlists if it has the H2 spawns.

Also, I'm pretty sure that grenades get stuck on geometry, not textures.

Tashi0106 said:
3. Beam rifle

Am I the only one that doesn't miss the Beam Rifle in the slightest? In multiplayer, its just a duplicate of the sniper, while the Focus rifle is significantly different. In campaign and firefight, having the Focus instead of the Beam is a very good thing I think. Jackel snipers, the horror!

Steelyuhas said:
The H2 OS and shotgun spawns make the map significantly better. I'd be down for it to be the classic playlists if it has the H2 spawns.

Also, I'm pretty sure that grenades get stuck on geometry, not textures.

Am I the only one that doesn't miss the Beam Rifle in the slightest? In multiplayer, its just a duplicate of the sniper, while the Focus rifle is significantly different. In campaign and firefight, having the Focus instead of the Beam is a very good thing I think. Jackel snipers, the horror!
I miss it. It felt different enough from the Sniper Rifle. It seemed to have a different weight about it. I can't explain it very well.

Halo 3:
- Grenades are sufficiently bouncy.
- Level geometry is too cluttered for predictable bounces.

Reach:
- Level geomtery is less cluttered.
- Grenades are less bouncy.

One of my favorite things to do in Halo 2 was bounce a grenade off a wall or doorframe to perfectly hit an opponent chasing me.

I guess Reach's overpowered radius/damage makes up for losing that (no thanks).

Top Bottom