• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

NOKYARD

Ghal. I have a hard time reading white text on a black background for more than a few minutes (always waited until HBO archived the BWU). Do have a PDF version available for download?

Bread said:
If anyone has some free time, it would be awesome if you could check out my forge map and critique it. I haven't put down most weapons and grenade spawns, I'm just looking for some thoughts on the layout (it's supposed to be for 4v4)
I only DL maps of players who have beaten the Legendary Campaign. j/k Since our Forge group is on stand-by i can have a look at it for you.

thezerofire said:
I miss it. It felt different enough from the Sniper Rifle. It seemed to have a different weight about it. I can't explain it very well.

While I agree it felt a little different in your hands, it still did the exact same thing as the sniper. It always felt repetitive to me. I was very happy that they scraped it for the Focus in Reach.

bobs99 ... said:
Im not sure I agree (or understand the bolded, people made bouncing the Halo 3 nades around geometry an artform. Nade placement in H3 was amazing.

Ghost Town is a good example of complex geometry making grenade placement unpredictable/incredible hard at times. Really depended on the map I guess.

ncsuDuncan said:
Halo 3:
- Grenades are sufficiently bouncy.
- Level geometry is too cluttered for predictable bounces.

Reach:
- Level geomtery is less cluttered.
- Grenades are less bouncy.

One of my favorite things to do in Halo 2 was bounce a grenade off a wall or doorframe to perfectly hit an opponent chasing me. I guess the overpowered radius/damage makes up for that (no thanks).

Im not sure I agree (or understand the bolded, people made bouncing the Halo 3 nades around geometry an artform. Nade placement in H3 was amazing.

Steelyuhas said:
While I agree it felt a little different in your hands, it still did the exact same thing as the sniper. It always felt repetitive to me. I was very happy that they scraped it for the Focus in Reach.

Not the exact. You couldn't spam it as much.

GhaleonEB

NOKYARD said:
Ghal. I have a hard time reading white text on a black background for more than a few minutes (always waited until HBO archived the BWU). Do have a PDF version available for download?
Unfortunately not. :\

ncsuDuncan said:
Halo 3:
- Grenades are sufficiently bouncy.
- Level geometry is too cluttered for predictable bounces.

Reach:
- Level geomtery is less cluttered.
- Grenades are less bouncy.

One of my favorite things to do in Halo 2 was bounce a grenade off a wall or doorframe to perfectly hit an opponent chasing me.

I guess Reach's overpowered radius/damage makes up for losing that (no thanks).
I don't know, I feel like Reach has a lot of unnecessary clutter. For example, those little edges on the doors to the outside of Countdown, and the pipes in the bottom of the base that you can't stand on

thezerofire said:
I don't know, I feel like Reach has a lot of unnecessary clutter. For example, those little edges on the doors to the outside of Countdown, and the pipes in the bottom of the base that you can't stand on

Places you can't go. Pipes/random stuff you can't stand on on ground levels, other pipes/lights/areas you can at high vantage points. Random lips on doors so you get stuck. Reach has a lot of unnecessary geometry on many maps.

Devolution said:
Not the exact. You couldn't spam it as much.

Still. Very very similar.

The reduction of repetition in the Reach sandbox was definitely a good thing in my eyes. By Halo 3, it felt like there was about 4 of a every type of gun lol.

thezerofire said:
Visually, Reach does have more clutter. I was thinking more about the invisible collision geometry, like staircases being modeled as ramps so grenades don't get caught as much as they did in 3.

Steelyuhas said:
Still. Very very similar.

The reduction of repetition in the Reach sandbox was definitely a good thing in my eyes. By Halo 3, it felt like there was about 4 of a every type of gun lol.

If they did a melee reduction in the next game, (as in one strike not just taking all of your shields off) they could actually have weaker weapons with stronger melee. Which would definitely take some of the repetitiveness out of weapon choice and encourage people to pick other stuff up. Of course they'd have to balance it just right but that goes without saying.

ncsuDuncan said:
Visually, Reach does have more clutter. I was thinking more about the invisible collision geometry, like staircases being modeled as ramps so grenades don't get caught as much as they did in 3.
that is true. I like that. At the same time though, it has a lot of random stuff that makes movement more difficult.

Also, I miss shortcut jumps from Halo 3. Especially ones that weren't intentional, like Gold1-Gold2 on Guardian, or Snipe1-Snipe2

thezerofire said:
that is true. I like that. At the same time though, it has a lot of random stuff that makes movement more difficult.

Also, I miss shortcut jumps from Halo 3. Especially ones that weren't intentional, like Gold1-Gold2 on Guardian, or Snipe1-Snipe2

Short cut jumps were great for avoiding grenades/fire down obvious entries/paths. Otherwise you're just running up to people the same way and getting trashed.

thezerofire said:

Shortcut jumps? Just pick the jetpack.

trollface.jpg

Ghost Edging and Slide Jumps were my favorite parts about movement in Halo 3. The "Fuck you, Gravity, I can jump straight up this wall" and being able to take the lift from your base on Valhalla to pretty much top mid with a well timed crouch + jump.

thezerofire said:
Ghost Edging and Slide Jumps were my favorite parts about movement in Halo 3. The "Fuck you, Gravity, I can jump straight up this wall" and being able to take the lift from your base on Valhalla to pretty much top mid with a well timed crouch + jump.

I stopped taking the lift on valhalla after I wasted so many people doing that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
thezerofire said:

There's actually a number of interesting short cut jumps on certain maps, Countdown, Powerhouse and Zealot each come to mind.

Devolution said:
I stopped taking the lift on valhalla after I wasted so many people doing that.
Well yeah eventually people got good enough to pick kids lifting (myself included) but it was still fun. I did the slide jump from Snipe 3 on Guardian to Elbow once. Only once.

Plywood said:
There's actually a number of interesting short cut jumps on certain maps, Countdown, Powerhouse and Zealot each come to mind.
the only ones I know of are jumping out of that little oval window on Powerhouse, and that jump-up on Zealot which only seems to work some of the time. What is there on Countdown?

Devolution said:
If they did a melee reduction in the next game, (as in one strike not just taking all of your shields off) they could actually have weaker weapons with stronger melee. Which would definitely take some of the repetitiveness out of weapon choice and encourage people to pick other stuff up. Of course they'd have to balance it just right but that goes without saying.

You mean actually having different melee damages for different weapons? That would be an interesting idea, I don't really like any gameplay mechanics that further encourage melee given the the past couple of Halo games becoming so melee happy.

Steelyuhas said:
Maybe not enough people buy them.

Two rules I've learned about life:
1. Moving is the worst. Bar none.
2. You always have way more shit that you could possibly imagine.

Roommates and I just moved to a new apartment a couple of weeks ago. Still upset about how awful moving is.

And I go to school in Pullman, WA (Washington State University). Going to get a degree in management information systems.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel.
Moving is awful. I have helped two friends that recently got married move, which means twice as much stuff to haul, and another two friends move all in the last month. It's so painful, especially when the temps are above 100.
But living alone is amazing!
BackdoorBeauty said:
I'm still left wondering why Bungie chose to use their final Halo game to quite literally "try out" so many new multiplayer mechanics, and with so few usable maps for any gametype other than Slayer.

I long for the days of Standoff CTF with two good teams. 8v8.. 15 minute long games of laser control, BR fights, and thrilling flag captures.

And yes, everyone knew how to handle equipment, you didn't have to give everyone active camo.. Camo comes up at x time, plan for it. Then you can make your move for the flag. You save that bubble shield for your flag escape. The Reach equivalent of the Drop Shield is hilarious! Standoff today would look like a moon base landscape from one base to the next. Bubble shields for everyone!

Reach killed BTB. There, I said it.

Edit: There is still fun to be had in BTB today, of course. But its more about having yuks..
Someone else likes Standoff?????? One of my favorite maps in 3.
Tunavi said:
hey i am not a scrub

Random question:
What do you guys think of 1-flag Pinnacle? I know a lot of people hate it, but personally I love it, its the only gametype that is good for that map. Of course, I'm the biggest fan of 1-flag on this forum...
I'm not a huge fan of Pinnacle, but I severely miss 1-Flag and 1-bomb assault games from Halo2 :(

Steelyuhas said:
You mean actually having different melee damagers for different weapons? That would be an interesting idea, I don't really like any gameplay mechanics that further encourage melee given the the past couple of Halo games becoming so melee happy.

I don't either which is why I would like to see the lunge and shield destroying aspects of melee go, but it was just an idea about different damage levels for various weps. And if not damage, then melee speed or something. Since melees are sometimes inevitable on some close quarter maps it would at least make for interesting encounters. Rather than hurp double meleed you first!

GhaleonEB

Anyone know what time the PAX doors open? I want to say 9:00, but I can't seem to confirm it on the PAX site. I'm bored to tears at work and my brain is melting.

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
Anyone know what time the PAX doors open? I want to say 9:00, but I can't seem to confirm it on the PAX site. I'm bored to tears at work and my brain is melting.
I believe queues start at 8, but I don't know for sure.

GhaleonEB said:
All I know is, HaloFest and the Exhibition Floor run 10am-6pm, with the convention center staying open until 2am.

GhaleonEB

Willeth said:
I believe queues start at 8, but I don't know for sure.
I was just re-reading the Waypoint update, and the bit about the first 5,000 people to Halofest getting swag bags motivated me to plan on spending a wee bit more time in line than usual on Friday. The HaloFest site says it opens at 10:00; I wonder if that has a separate line, or if we have to go through the main PAX line to access it. I'm not familiar with the logistics. Anyone from 343 know?

Homeboyd

Tunavi said:
Austin texas. Awesome city, so many game devs there too. (Certain Affinity)
ACC or UT? Or somewhere else? Im very familiar with Austin.. graduated A&M, but I actually like Austin :)
Devolution said:
SF. For design. It's fun but sometimes the projects are so corporate it's soul killing. Hence me having fun when someone wants me to design something outside of that sphere.
Have anything you can show us? Seems like a pretty sweet gig.
A27 Tawpgun said:
Gonna be in the middle of Boston this year.
Bahston eh?
matt-damon-boston-boy.jpg

First year there?
Dax01 said:
Wilmington, NORTH Carolina.
Sweet, what are you studying?
Karl2177 said:
Iowa State - Software Engineering
?

GhaleonEB said:
I was just re-reading the Waypoint update, and the bit about the first 5,000 people to Halofest getting swag bags motivated me to plan on spending a wee bit more time in line than usual on Friday. The HaloFest site says it opens at 10:00; I wonder if that has a separate line, or if we have to go through the main PAX line to access it. I'm not familiar with the logistics. Anyone from 343 know?
Yeah. Then it is impossible for me to get this swag bag. I want to attend the Halo Anniversary Panel, but the panel starts at 10am, too. :/

Homeboyd

Tunavi said:
St. Edward's University
Awesome.. might have to get a LAN throwdown going sometime.. Im in Dallas/East Texas now but Im down your way quite a bit.
Hey You said:
Just graduated HS in June, haven't thought of my future schooling plans yet :S
Haha I hear ya man.. I know that feel.

Got any ideas what you wanna do? Besides wurk4bunjee

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
thezerofire said:
the only ones I know of are jumping out of that little oval window on Powerhouse, and that jump-up on Zealot which only seems to work some of the time. What is there on Countdown?
2IJNo.jpg

fJ61Y.jpg

vHxPh.jpg

1Bf68.jpg

I botched the jump a little, I usually land straight on the plat and not on the rail, but I was just doing it real quick to show you. The jump can be done both ways.

NpjoY.jpg

2O1Sv.jpg

2O1Sv.jpg

Immediately after landing sprint and jump again.

ojlF5.jpg

I'd say this one is the hardest of the jumps.

90I1k.jpg

8PVaO.jpg

fVSE0.jpg

ltiTc.jpg

And there is a really healthy amount on Powerhouse and some hard to pull one's on Zealot.

feel

Devolution said:
Oh. God. This will never get old.

"Want x?"

"Use y."

Makes me lol every time I swear.
Bungie really did some high level trolling with Reach, and their chain of solving simple problems with insanely ridiculous solutions that would break half of the game and then try and solve those with even crazier ones and so on. If you're trapped outside don't fucking smash the glass of a window before checking if it's unlocked.

Top Bottom