• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Yeah, I went overboard with my ragging on incentives. They are not the problem. My problem with Reach is that I really have a hard time enjoying the game, so I am naturally aggressive toward the credit system which is obviously working. But it's so hard to look back on the past Halo games where the only incentive to play was having fun and ranking up, and knowing that those games carried their own longevity without anything else. I'm also the Halo:Reach naysayer. So take anything I say with a grain of salt. I do like Striker's development plan, though.

The Halo series is an amazing series. There are now four main Halo games and, depending on who you talk to, anyone of the four games will be argued that it's the best one/best FPS of all time.

Deputy Moonman said:
Yeah, I went overboard with my ragging on incentives. They are not the problem. My problem with Reach is that I really have a hard time enjoying the game, so I am naturally aggressive toward the credit system which is obviously working. But it's so hard to look back on the past Halo games where the only incentive to play was having fun and ranking up, and knowing that those games carried their own longevity without anything else. I'm also the Halo:Reach naysayer. So take anything I say with a grain of salt. I do like Striker's development plan, though.

The Halo series is an amazing series. There are now four main Halo games and, depending on who you talk to, anyone of the four games will be argued that it's the best one/best FPS of all time.

I've always loved the fact that ranks never affected availability of abilities, weapons and armor. For that I will always love Halo best. At least all of them got that right. Most people I talk to will say Halo 1 was the pinnacle of play, with Halo 2 outranking it if we're talking online capabilities. Some people will have arguments over h1/h2 multiplayer but agree both were good. It's more of a debate about which is better, not which sucks more. H3 and Reach were definite downgrades for most people I talk to. Granted most of the ones I talk to have a) been with the series since h1 and b) play quite seriously, whether MLG or competitively in general.

Also and this is just my opinion, I think people were really hyped for Reach because it appeared to be an upgrade from H3, but after playing it a while it was apparent it was no Halo 1/Halo 2.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hitmonchan107 said:
Any word on what map(s) will be used for the Firefight tournament?
Details are still being finalized for all the tournaments, but some will feature maps from Anniversary.

I just hope we get some new way to get armor. Don't get me wrong, I like Reach's method, but at the same time this "far" into Reach's life I feel like there's still not that much diversity (despite, y'know, having the most armor in the entire series). There are exceptions, but early on almost everyone uses one or two helmets, and then once things start to get more expensive everyone uses... one or two helmets. Armor's basically become another indicator of rank/experience
(time spent playing)
. That's what ranks, skill levels, etc. are for. In Halo 3 they were tied to achievements, so while it was technically the same way, it didn't really feel like it. I'm not asking to go back to the Halo 3 method, but I just hope there's some way to keep armor consistently diversified and be at least somewhat independent from how far you are rank-wise and whatnot.

Zee-V70 said:
I just hope we get some new way to get armor. Don't get me wrong, I like Reach's method, but at the same time this "far" into Reach's life I feel like there's still not that much diversity (despite, y'know, having the most armor in the entire series). There are exceptions, but early on almost everyone uses one or two helmets, and then once things start to get more expensive everyone uses... one or two helmets. Armor's basically become another indicator of rank/experience
(time spent playing)
. That's what ranks, skill levels, etc. are for. In Halo 3 they were tied to achievements, so while it was technically the same way, it didn't really feel like it. I'm not asking to go back to the Halo 3 method, but I just hope there's some way to keep armor consistently diversified and be at least somewhat independent from how far you are rank-wise and whatnot.

I think there should be a lot of base choices off the bat that look (I wouldn't say ugly) very basic and maybe even aged? And as you rank up the armor becomes more complicated, more colors become available and the overall look seems polished. As cool as some of the stuff was in Reach after a while it was just like "adding cameras and weird brims to helmets? pfft whatever."

Gui_PT

Devolution said:
I'm unsure of the question, you mean for Halo Gaf? If so I just didn't think of it then lol.

Also I'm going through and looking at "campus" in a bunch of fonts and I'm totally getting that vibe that I spelled it wrong despite it obviously not being misspelled.

Yeah, I meant as a tshirt for the NeoGAF store. It's a great design. You can still submit designs. People are doing that daily on the tshirt thread.

Anyone want to party up?

Devolution said:
I think there should be a lot of base choices off the bat that look (I wouldn't say ugly) very basic and maybe even aged? And as you rank up the armor becomes more complicated, more colors become available and the overall look seems polished. As cool as some of the stuff was in Reach after a while it was just like "adding cameras and weird brims to helmets? pfft whatever."
That sounds perfect. Maybe you get a lot of the series staples early on (Mark V, VI, ODST, etc) because you can find them within the Dawn, while as you get further on through the story you start accessing forerunner modifications (maybe even precursor/covenant?) to go off of the base designs. Maybe they could be armor trees similar to skill trees in Borderlands--you have several basic models (let's say for this example, EOD/Pilot/Mark VI/ODST/EVA) that progressively become more and more stylized in different directions depending on what things you add on. I think it'd be awesome if they took a Mass Effect approach (never played the game personally, so feel free to correct me) where you start out the game creating your character--chief's armor is damaged in the initial escape from the exploding FoD and you have to make a rough "new suit" out of what's laying around. There could be a canon suit for Chief--maybe a forerunner-augmented Mark VII--but in-game you have a lot to work with.

EDIT: Forgot to respond to the second part of your quote. I know what you mean, the only "unique" add-on later in the armors was the weird jaw spike thing Security has when it's fully-upgraded.

Striker

Devolution said:
Also and this is just my opinion, I think people were really hyped for Reach because it appeared to be an upgrade from H3, but after playing it a while it was apparent it was no Halo 1/Halo 2.
I think that's how each game went as followed. Mainly why you saw Halo2sucks.com page because of rabid Halo 1 fans were upset over the changes Halo 2 brought. Same thing for Halo 2, fans were highly disappointed (I am in this group) in the changes that Halo 3 ironed out. And so on.

Zee,
I wouldn't be upset if they just allowed for all the armor, visor color, etc. to be available from the start.

Also Halo 3's method was primarily bad for it because tons and tons of MP eccentric achievements aren't good in Halo. Maybe if certain ones are tied for all achievements if the achievements were all based off campaign and everything non-MP.

Striker said:
Also Halo 3's method was primarily bad for it because tons and tons of MP eccentric achievements aren't good in Halo. Maybe if certain ones are tied for all achievements if the achievements were all based off campaign and everything non-MP.

Same reason I really loathe certain challenges.

Letters said:
I agree with everything you said, but sadly nowadays you just can't get a decent number of people playing to make matchmaking work well without major incentives all over the place. It's a bit depressing but that's just how it goes, all we can do is cross fingers for good gameplay that holds our attention on its own alongside the post-cod4 crap. I know people who went through all kinds of trouble with me carrying equipment and setting up Halo Ce lans every weekend, and now won't bother playing if they're not filling some exp bar or going seriously for some rank, and it kills me on the inside.
This is true. I had to take a step back and think about what I said earlier. Like Bobs said, if you can nail the game play and include incentives on top of that, it's a win win situation.

Sorry for responding like 39842390849023 times, but anyways :lol

Striker got me thinking: if all armor-unlocking achievements were campaign-exclusive, hopefully a lot of them will be secret (or at least off the main path) sort of achievements. I've always hoped for a Halo game to have a campaign that has as much a replayability factor as the multiplayer. While most (if not all of them) do that, I'm saying for it to be just as immersive and have enough content packed/hidden into it/open to DLC that you'll be playing it just as much, like what Bungie tried to do making Firefight its own new category. Maybe make it very open-world, RPG-styled, but with a definite (and good, mind you) ending. Even if you beat the game, it could have some sort of hub world similar to ODST where there was still a lot waiting to be discovered (like the audio files). Maybe even make it so that some stuff's only available post-game. For example:

Achievement Unlocked - No Talking - 25G
Access the Librarian Catacombs and destroy the Guardian Sentinel. (Unlocks Precursor armor tree)

Even simple stuff like that would really make it worth replaying, not to mention it'd be awesome going off the beaten path to discover stuff like that on your own, or even having your friends join you to get to particularly hard areas.

Zee-V70 said:
Sorry for responding like 39842390849023 times, but anyways :lol

Striker got me thinking: if all armor-unlocking achievements were campaign-exclusive, hopefully a lot of them will be secret (or at least off the main path) sort of achievements. I've always hoped for a Halo game to have a campaign that has as much a replayability factor as the multiplayer. While most (if not all of them) do that, I'm saying for it to be just as immersive and have enough content packed/hidden into it/open to DLC that you'll be playing it just as much, like what Bungie tried to do making Firefight its own new category. Maybe make it very open-world, RPG-styled, but with a definite (and good, mind you) ending. Even if you beat the game, it could have some sort of hub world similar to ODST where there was still a lot waiting to be discovered (like the audio files). Maybe even make it so that some stuff's only available post-game. For example:

Achievement Unlocked - No Talking - 25G
Access the Librarian Catacombs and destroy the Guardian Sentinel. (Unlocks Precursor armor tree)

Even simple stuff like that would really make it worth replaying, not to mention it'd be awesome going off the beaten path to discover stuff like that on your own, or even having your friends join you to get to particularly hard areas.

Yeah and if someone could wear those "easter egg" like things in multi they'd be all the more encouraged to go into campaign and get it.

Bregmann Roche said:
Have you played Big Team Battle lately? How about Team (Jet)Slayer(pack)? Asylum while scoping? Pinnacle when the other team gets to spawn next to all the power weapons? The shipping version of Zealot?

I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but Reach shipped with essentially no good BTB maps, seriously flawed Team Slayer maps (can someone run the numbers on how many soft kill zones have been added to playlists since release?), and too few maps overall. I'll give Bungie tons of credit for the good they did with Reach (frustrating game but still a favorite) but stop acting like the maps in this game are anywhere near the top tier of Halo maps.

If anyone deserves credit for making maps that cater to different abilities and settings then it's the community and Certain Affinity.
I've neither stated nor implied Reach's maps were top-tier relative to the entire franchise, way to put words in my mouth. I said that unique player pathways were an impressive element of Bungie's map design in Reach.

Your last statement is perplexing--Bungie doesn't deserve any credit for designing Powerhouse? That was the map we were discussing.

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
I know, some made it into your post.

Whether or not you personally like the maps is completely irrelevant to the comment I made. It takes a lot of work and skill to make maps that cater to all these different abilities and settings simultaneously. Give credit where credit is due.

I acknowledge the effort it takes to make maps. I think that Bungie made huge mistakes making certain jumps and areas only accessible to certain AAs.

Not to mention all that work and skill went into making a small and weak map list.

Maps have been getting worse since Halo 2. I hope 343 will fix this.

And lets hope there's no map breaking abilities... At least on spawn.

Devolution said:
Yeah and if someone could wear those "easter egg" like things in multi they'd be all the more encouraged to go into campaign and get it.
I would prefer armor unlocks through hidden stuff like the easter eggs in campaign. Armor trees are an interesting idea, too. Suppose that you still earned credits by playing matchmaking, but the only way to even access any armor for purchase is by finding those armor tree unlocks in the campaign? Each tree would begin with the basic parts, adding in texture variations through mid-tier and finishing with a tree-specific armor effect.

Blah. I thinks it's fun to come up with these ideas, but even that goes against my preference of 343i focusing solely on putting out the best matchmaking experience ever, with extras being an after thought, only. Maps=more important than incentives.

GhaleonEB

So, after quitting three (horrible) MP games last night, I was put on the quit probation for the first time. (What can I say, getting camped on 1-bomb on Boneyard in Premium Battle and Power Slayer on Sword Base in Action Sack didn't do it for me.) I just finished a game of Firefight Doubles during which my partner dropped out. Apparently it was one of those games where it split us off into our own games, both of which we finished. It happens now and then.

Now, I'm banned from matchmaking. Great system.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
So, after quitting three (horrible) MP games last night, I was put on the quit probation for the first time. (What can I say, getting camped on 1-bomb on Boneyard in Premium Battle and Power Slayer on Sword Base in Action Sack didn't do it for me.) I just finished a game of Firefight Doubles during which my partner dropped out. Apparently it was one of those games where it split us off into our own games, both of which we finished. It happens now and then.

For 10 minutes, right?

GhaleonEB said:
So, after quitting three (horrible) MP games last night, I was put on the quit probation for the first time. (What can I say, getting camped on 1-bomb on Boneyard in Premium Battle and Power Slayer on Sword Base in Action Sack didn't do it for me.) I just finished a game of Firefight Doubles during which my partner dropped out. Apparently the game counted me as disconnecting, so it split us off into our own games, both of which we finished. It happens now and then.

lol. That's a joke?

GhaleonEB

darthbob said:
For 10 minutes, right?
I don't know. Is that how long the quit ban is?

Hypertrooper said:
lol. That's a joke?
Yes. It is not a great system.

What's especially funny is, Firefight does not count toward the quit ban, ever. Probably because of the networking issues and the co-op nature of it (me, I like it when everyone else quits). However, it apparently does count when you are on "probation". Even if you finish the game.

Ken

Blah. I thinks it's fun to come up with these ideas, but even that goes against my preference of 343i focusing solely on putting out the best matchmaking experience ever, with extras being an after thought, only. Maps=more important than incentives.

Add hundreds of new armor pieces.

Make them all random loot drops from killing enemies in multiplayer. Drop rate decreases the higher an armor's unlock rank is. Repeat armor unlocks armor attachments and upgrades for that armor piece (so yes, shoulder pieces can have attachments). Inclement Weather at a 1% drop rate.

Incentive.

Deputy Moonman said:
I would prefer armor unlocks through hidden stuff like the easter eggs in campaign. Armor trees are an interesting idea, too. Suppose that you still earned credits by playing matchmaking, but the only way to even access any armor for purchase is by finding those armor tree unlocks in the campaign? Each tree would begin with the basic parts, adding in texture variations through mid-tier and finishing with a tree-specific armor effect.

Well Here's to hoping they can somehow manage to do both. I think the best part of halo1/halo 2 was they managed to find a balance between an engaging and well thought out story with replayability as well as a good multiplayer also with tons of replayability. Seems like the games lately are trying really hard to throw way too much shit in both, sacrficing quality in both instead of keeping it simple. But this is just how I feel, I'm sure they work really hard, it's just seems like all this work goes into these "epic" parts and not into an overall tone. Bah I'm just ranting now.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
What's especially funny is, Firefight does not count toward the quit ban, ever. Probably because of the networking issues and the co-op nature of it (me, I like it when everyone else quits). However, it apparently does count when you are on "probation". Even if you finish the game.

Are you sure? I always thought it did.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I'd have been banned a hajillion times over if it did. :p
It used to, but then I know they got rid of it for score attack. Didn't know they got rid of it for the other FF playlists.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ken said:

Make them all random loot drops from killing enemies in multiplayer. Drop rate decreases the higher an armor's unlock rank is. Repeat armor unlocks armor attachments and upgrades for that armor piece (so yes, shoulder pieces can have attachments). Inclement Weather at a 1% drop rate.

Incentive.
For some reason I really despise this system. I guess it's the random nature of it -- instead of hoping that I get my favorite helmet, I'd rather accrue credits and save up for it. There's a fun sense of luck and discovery with random drops, I guess, but there's also frustration and bitter nerd tears, too.

And speaking of Score Attack, why the hell did Bungie force the voting system on us for Score Attack matchmaking? It's especially frustrating when I'm trying to work towards a Challenge for a specific map (like Beachhead a few days ago). Just let me pick the map I want, then let me "vote" on what gametype I want to play.

Ken said:

Incentive.
Halo:MMORPG Confirmed! ;)

FyreWulff

omg.kittens said:
For some reason I really despise this system. I guess it's the random nature of it -- instead of hoping that I get my favorite helmet, I'd rather accrue credits and save up for it. There's a fun sense of luck and discovery with random drops, I guess, but there's also frustration and bitter nerd tears, too.

And speaking of Score Attack, why the hell did Bungie force the voting system on us for Score Attack matchmaking? It's especially frustrating when I'm trying to work towards a Challenge for a specific map (like Beachhead a few days ago). Just let me pick the map I want, then let me "vote" on what gametype I want to play.

I don't think their voting system allows that. Jeremiah said that Score Attack has the maximum number of voting rounds and options supported by Reach.

MrBig

Ken said:

Incentive.
TF2 is the game you are looking for. All of that stuff is the reason I don't play that game anymore.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
It used to, but then I know they got rid of it for score attack. Didn't know they got rid of it for the other FF playlists.
I've had days where I left 10+ games due to map selection (I refuse to play on Waterfront, Holdout or Glacier) or networking (1+ second lag, I'm out of there). I very, very rarely leave MP games because of the impact it has on the team, and it took three last night to land me on probation.

Hopefully this game on Holdout with nearly 2 full seconds of input lag I just endured was my penance.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
FyreWulff said:
I don't think their voting system allows that. Jeremiah said that Score Attack has the maximum number of voting rounds and options supported by Reach.
Right, that's what I'm complaining about. I wish they would have developed a separate system for Score Attack. Choose your map first, and then choose from one of the three gametypes randomly chosen for you (or none of the above).

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:
Details are still being finalized for all the tournaments, but some will feature maps from Anniversary.

:?

I realize you're talking about all tournaments.. but it was a direct reply to the FF question. I figured all other MP tournaments would feature Anniversary only maps.

omg.kittens said:

Yeah, same. At least there's some control with buying armor because you know what you want and stuff. If it took a Borderlands approach and you could actually unlock weapon attachments, modifications, etc. by stealing someone's altered weapon and gaining X kills with it in a match without dying, I'd be fine with that. Maybe there could be some sort of sliders per individual weapon--rate of fire, shots per clip, reload time, etc.

You could have a cR pool that only allowed you to use a certain amount of cR/forerunner power cell points/whatever per weapon. Say you have 50 APs (augmentation points) in the Rifle (whether it be battle rifle, DMR, whatever's in Halo 4) category. You could dedicate 15 to Bullet Damage, 10 to Rate of Fire, 20 to Switch Time, and 5 to Scope. You can have up to 100 in each, up to 200 total (maybe 5 categories?) and you can always reset and rearrange them however you want. Hitting a multiple of 10 on Scope allows that zoom to become possible (provided you can find a scope for that weapon, or maybe they'll just say it's your suit zooming in if it has a helmet cam), and you can have one possible scope zoom--two when you hit 50. Killing someone with a weapon with more APs than you will increase/unlock more AP for your weapon in the future. However, their weapon retains all of its bonuses--while you may start off with a Plasma Rifle with an overheat rate of 25 shots and 3 spare batteries and picking them up will give you said modifiers, if you killed a more powerful player who had a Plasma Rifle with 350% damage, x4 rate of fire but 30% battery life, it would retain its qualities until it ran out of battery/fell off the map/despawned/etc. I think that would be a somewhat fair way to allow advanced players to have minor benefits--they get stronger weapons, but become bigger targets because the have the strongest weapons.

Ken

MrBig said:
TF2 is the game you are looking for. All of that stuff is the reason I don't play that game anymore.
I don't like hats.

I also never got into TF2 that much before the hat craze (only have about 40 hours of playtime since release to now) so yeah, it's not the game I'm looking for.

omg.kittens said:
I'd rather accrue credits and save up for it.

I dislike grinding for credits; the game becomes similar to a Korean MMO where everyday is another day of grind until you have enough to purchase that helmet you've been eyeing for so long. What happens after? Another few weeks of grinding for the next helmet you want and so on. There's not as much fun and excitement over hitting that purchase button compared to seeing that Gungnir or Security helmet pop up as collected loot in the post-carnage screen. Sure, loot drops are random but it feels a lot better than mindlessly grinding out credits. At the very least, it would get some idlers to actually play the game if they want new armor.

Butane123

Ken said:

Best idea ever.

MrBig

Ken said:
I don't like hats.

I also never got into TF2 that much before the hat craze (only have about 40 hours of playtime since release to now) so yeah, it's not the game I'm looking for.
Hats are exactly what you are asking for. Meaningless things to add to your character for people to obsess over collecting.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Homeboyd said:

I realize you're talking about all tournaments.. but it was a direct reply to the FF question. I figured all other MP tournaments would feature Anniversary only maps.
Was also talking about the FFA schedules times as well. Some of those will feature Reach maps. Trying to make it clear that there will be a mixture of Anniversary and Reach maps.

For example we're grabbing some of the more popular race maps for the race portion.

EDIT: This is what I get for reading and posting on my phone. I was talking about the competitive tournaments only. I'm not even 100% sure what the firefight tournament plans are. Like I said in the previous post tournament specifics are still being finalized.

feel

Homeboyd said:

hehe, I elaborated this reply earlier but didn't post it after reading David's more carefully one last time before clicking Submit:
_____
lybertyboy said:
Hitmonchan107 said:
Any word on what map(s) will be used for the Firefight tournament?
Megaton!! Someone warn Bnet
_____

Top Bottom