• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

More progress.

fCBrM.png

Looking for suggestions on what to put in the shield.

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:
Was also talking about the FFA schedules times as well. Some of those will feature Reach maps. Trying to make it clear that there will be a mixture of Anniversary and Reach maps.

For example we're grabbing some of the more popular race maps for the race portion.
Gotcha.. didn't think about race.

About the Forge contest... I know nothings finalized and details haven't been released.. but are we to expect a panel of judges to look at a group of maps built by people within the time given and give scores based on certain criteria? Or a community vote?

Just wondering how that was going to go down.

Devolution said:
More progress.

http://i.imgur.com/fCBrM.png

Easy option is criss crossing DMR's, or maybe the Spartan symbol? (Either the Halo one or the actual Greek Spartan one) Theres probably more decorative stuff to use though.

Looks amazing by the way, how do you do it? Vector tools or Drawing tablet?

bobs99 ... said:
Easy option is criss crossing DMR's, or maybe the Spartan symbol? (Either the Halo one or the actual Greek Spartan one) Theres probably more decorative stuff to use though.

Looks amazing by the way, how do you do it? Vector tools or Drawing tablet?

Pen tool in illustrator. Just traced over existing coat of arms leaf motifs.

kylej

Banned
Booties said:
Juices gets matched up against Risen and his BK friends. Falls to -6 almost immediately. Rage quits, prompting me to follow because I have a pub and his guest left. Go back to Walshy's School for the Clutch, kid.

laffin irl at this post

Devolution said:
More progress.

A portrait of T-Squared.

Ken

MrBig said:
Hats are exactly what you are asking for. Meaningless things to add to your character for people to obsess over collecting.

Currently, armor pieces are equally meaningless things to add to your character for people to grind credits for. Only difference is there are a lot fewer armor pieces and the only social aspect the armory promotes is idlers.

With loot drops, the system can, at the very least, promote players to play the game. Kills, objective captures, or finishing a match under a certain time could all have a chance to reward the player. With a credit system that rewards you for time spent in the game, you have people actively seeking out the easiest means to spend time for credits which leads to idlers.

Was modding an issue in Halo 3 I thought Halo 3 fixed that?
Was standbying an issue? Maybe but not as common, I think Bungie detects lag-filled games now anyways and would eventually give out a ban.
Bridging Host? No. Can't in H3, at least in Ranked...I think?

People mostly got their 50s legit in H3, unless bought. If you remove that by taking away a couple ranks every month and no highest skill, there isn't much to do against it.

You could get competitive games in almost any playlist you play regularly.

I feel the methods to prevent abuse could be even better by the next Halo also.

I'd love to see it returned. Arena is so blah, and social is so lackadaisical and constantly ruined by guests. Even if I do enjoy pooping on them so often.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ken said:
I dislike grinding for credits; the game becomes similar to a Korean MMO where everyday is another day of grind until you have enough to purchase that helmet you've been eyeing for so long. What happens after? Another few weeks of grinding for the next helmet you want and so on. There's not as much fun and excitement over hitting that purchase button compared to seeing that Gungnir or Security helmet pop up as collected loot in the post-carnage screen. Sure, loot drops are random but it feels a lot better than mindlessly grinding out credits. At the very least, it would get some idlers to actually play the game if they want new armor.
No one's saying you have to grind. Just play the game as you normally would, save up credits, and spend them on the specific armor pieces you want. I sometimes play certain modes/maps/gametypes specifically for the credit bonus that comes with completing Challenges, but I never do so if it isn't fun.

MrBig

Ken said:
Currently, armor pieces are equally meaningless things to add to your character for people to grind credits for. Only difference is there are a lot fewer armor pieces and the only social aspect the armory promotes is idlers.

With loot drops, the system can, at the very least, promote players to play the game. Kills, objective captures, or finishing a match under a certain time could all have a chance to reward the player. With a credit system that rewards you for time spent in the game, you have people actively seeking out the easiest means to spend time for credits which leads to idlers.
The end point is the same. You are adding meaningless things to the game. I don't care about armor in Reach. I don't care about hats in TF2. I play games I want to play because they look cool first and then the only reason I stay is if they are fun to play. Adding pretty things to your character doesnt do that.

Ken

omg.kittens said:
No one's saying you have to grind. You just play the game as you normally would, save up credits, and spend them on the specific armor pieces you want.

Sounds like a grind to me. You're still playing hundreds of games with the end goal of spending all your earnings on one helmet, and the road there is a long and usually unrewarding one.

omg.kittens said:
I sometimes play certain modes/maps/gametypes specifically for the credit bonus that comes with completing the Challenges, but I never do so if it isn't fun.

That would be great if everyone thought the same way, but people still complain about low credit payouts in challenges, especially weeklies (like play x amount of FF waves), but do them anyways.

MrBig said:
The end point is the same. You are adding meaningless things to the game. I don't care about armor in Reach. I don't care about hats in TF2. I play games I want to play because they look cool first and then the only reason I stay is if they are fun to play. Adding pretty things to your character doesnt do that.

I'm pretty sure the discussion I'm following is about ways to make the armory system better. If you don't care about armor and the armory system, then I'm not sure why you seem so against random loot drops when they wouldn't affect you.

Devolution said:

Carnage%20Sign%20trans%20copy.png

And a school bus as the splatter vehicle.

Devolution said:
More progress.

http://i.imgur.com/fCBrM.png[IMG]

Looking for suggestions on what to put in the shield.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the spartan simbol?

[IMG]http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/robbert014/halospartansimbol.png

Tha Robbertster said:
Perhaps the spartan simbol?
Are they allowed to use it? Bungie has copyright of the Marathon symbol and 343i has the rights for the Spartan 2 symbol.

Edit.: About the Firefight Score Attack tournament it looks like, that the 343i isn't organizing it. I think, they just provide the prizes and the consoles + TVs. I hope I can play a round, because it is for charity.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ken said:
Sounds like a grind to me. You're still playing hundreds of games with the end goal of spending all your earnings on one helmet, and the road there is a long and usually unrewarding one.
No, my goal in playing hundreds of games is to have fun. Accruing credits is a secondary motivator at best, and I think that's true for most folks. That's the role a playing incentive system is supposed to play, and while Challenges do shift playlist populations, I don't think it can be said that those people are playing Reach merely because they want credits. And if you want to talk about what feels more rewarding, then yeah, I'd much rather go with saving up credits and earning my new shiny death confetti.

I think complaints about the paltry payouts that the Challenges offers are legit. Again, people aren't playing for credits necessarily, they just want to be proportionately rewarded for completing what are supposed to be special achievements. Those complaints in no way means that those people are playing the game primarily for the credits.

I dunno, I think we just disagree, and that's okay. I sort of feel like we're arguing in circles, though.

Plywood said:
Whoa, that's awesome. Mighty faggot pride.

Ken

omg.kittens said:
I dunno, I think we just disagree, and that's okay. I sort of feel like we're arguing in circles, though.
Yeah, probably.

Regardless, I think we can all, sans MrBig, agree that the game needs more armor pieces. I'm at a point where the only things I have to look forward to with my credits is a flashlight or breathing apparatus thing for my helmets.

Sai-kun said:
Halo 4 hat edition

Would buy

Would invest my life into

Please have hats, 343. I'm a total haterosexual.
I miss playing Goldeneye on the N64 with the following options turned on: Big Head DK Mode. Turbo Mode. Slappers Only. One hit to kill. No radar. That was amazing. Hats in halo could be cool.

Hypertrooper said:
Are they allowed to use it? Bungie has copyright of the Marathon symbol and 343i has the rights for the Spartan 2 symbol.

Edit.: About the Firefight Score Attack tournament it looks like, that the 343i isn't organizing it. I think, they just provide the prizes and the consoles + TVs. I hope I can play a round, because it is for charity.

Well he used the weaponry from Halo before. And the logo as of now has a spartan helm. I figure if Tashi can prove he's not all to sell these things he should be able to get them printed. It's just for his team.

Sai-kun said:
Halo 4 hat edition

Would buy

Would invest my life into

Please have hats, 343. I'm a total haterosexual.

Grunt Birthday Party gives all grunts party hats, which can be picked up and worn and unlocked for multiplayer. They can also be shot like rubber bands to impale players.

Sai-kun

Banned
Zee-V70 said:
Grunt Birthday Party gives all grunts party hats, which can be picked up and worn and unlocked for multiplayer. They can also be shot like rubber bands to impale players.
Sold. I just pre ordered 5 copies.

vhfive said:
EDIT: storm do you still play videogames?
Occationally, man. Girlfriend has taken most of my time this past year, but I plan on getting back into the swing of all things electronic soon. What's everyone playing these days? Because from I can gather in this thread, no one plays Reach anymore.

vhfive

Stormtrooper30 said:
Occationally, man. Girlfriend has taken most of my time this past year, but I plan on getting back into the swing of all things electronic soon. What's everyone playing these days? Because from I can gather in this thread, no one plays Reach anymore.
I still play Reach on a semi-regular basis. Also been playing Blops and Trenched (Blood where you at?).

Gui_PT

Anyone from Bungie or 343 here can do something about these idiots? cannaweed 44 and Canateam

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=22327807&player=Monolith%20Gui

Completely ruin FF

vhfive said:
I still play Reach on a semi-regular basis. Also been playing Blops and Trenched (Blood where you at?).
Ah, I have Blops, sounds like something I could get back into. By the time I buy and get used to Trenched would it still be relevant? Looks like a great game.

vhfive

Stormtrooper30 said:
Ah, I have Blops, sounds like something I could get back into. By the time I buy and get used to Trenched would it still be relevant? Looks like a great game.
We shall play soon
just not tonight because I'm heading out the door to lose some money on poker

LAWLZ at devo

Tawpgun

Letters said:
So good. Lol'd IRL.

As for the Campus Safety crest, it really doesn't fit with the name. Thats my only qualm with it.

PS If Frankie or Ellis see this, when are we going to get an update on the machinima contest? My friend and I (2nd and 3rd place most votes) are wondering if we're going to get any notification if we're finalists or not because IGN was suppose to give the top 5 finalists PAX passes.

A27 Tawpgun said:
As for the Campus Safety crest, it really doesn't fit with the name. Thats my only qualm with it.

You mean the name banner? Or the whole thing?

Also here's what's looking like might be close to the final version, if you guys have opinions or see something wrong/off just speak up =).

rKnom.png

Top Bottom