• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

You can't hit that Cement Path to Green Roof jump without Sprint, right? It's really cool that there are Sprint-exclusive jumps (as well as unique jumps for alternate game settings like in Living Dead). It really speaks to the amount of thought that went into the map design.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:
It really speaks to the amount of thought that went into the map design.

KuGsj.gif

Gui_PT

Letters said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2cna0du.jpg

Plywood said:
http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2944217/nation-of-violence-o.gif

I laughed. A lot.

Kibbles said:
? Why you posting 7th graders wut

That's actually a picture she took last week without any makeup

Devolution said:
Work in progress for Tashis team. Decided to make a coat of arms. Still more to do though. Like the inside of the shield and the name banner.

umVIl.png

Why is something like that not a tshirt design?

Made it back from the hospital in one piece (thanks for all the well-wishes, it meant a lot). Still have to go back for surgery in a few weeks (fuuuu), but for now I'm just happy to be out of that damnable place.

Anyway, this thread moves waaaaay too fast to keep up with it, so I'll just post my mug and hope that some kind soul can fill me in on the past week of HaloGAF news while I go play some Halo. :)

30caykk.jpg

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
You can't hit that Cement Path to Green Roof jump without Sprint, right? It's really cool that there are Sprint-exclusive jumps (as well as unique jumps for alternate game settings like in Living Dead). It really speaks to the amount of thought that went into the map design.
Wait please tell me you're joking.

You actually LIKE that there are jumps only available to sprinters? Then I assume you like areas only accessible by jetpack?

:(

There's nearly no good jumps without sprint...

The design is intentional. My stance is it's terrible design.

EDIT: Never read Mona Lisa... but was that really the ending? Lame.

squidhands said:
Made it back from the hospital in one piece (thanks for all the well-wishes, it meant a lot). Still have to go back for surgery in a few weeks (fuuuu), but for now I'm just happy to be out of that damnable place.

Anyway, this thread moves waaaaay too fast to keep up with it, so I'll just post my mug and hope that some kind soul can fill me in on the past week of HaloGAF news while I go play some Halo. :)

Here are all the halo related pannels for PAX. I thought somebody said they would be live streamed by IGN.

I don't think anything else groundbreaking has happened.

Good to hear you're all better, enjoy your halo time!

EDIT: and the last part of mona lisa is up. Really enjoyed this series.

Ramirez

squidhands said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/30caykk.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

lol, holy crap, shave your beard and you look exactly like Trevor St. John. (soap actor, lulz)

HaloGAF moonlights as actors confirmed.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wait please tell me you're joking.

You actually LIKE that there are jumps only available to sprinters? Then I assume you like areas only accessible by jetpack?

:(

There's nearly no good jumps without sprint...

The design is intentional. My stance is it's terrible design.

EDIT: Never read Mona Lisa... but was that really the ending? Lame.
I do. I like that the abilities open up different ways to play in general, and that having pathways open/close depending on your choice introduces more potential for strategy.

There are many interesting jumps for the classic/invis/hologram/armorlock user.

And I thought the ending to the Mona Lisa "short" story was great. I haven't caught up on the motion comic since part 5.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
wwm0nkey said:
I really hope 343i does something about the challenges soon. Adding more and mkaing them worth more would be awesome.
Then we all hit max rank and have nothing to buy.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
Work in progress for Tashis team. Decided to make a coat of arms. Still more to do though. Like the inside of the shield and the name banner.

umVIl.png

holy fuck. that looks so badass.

Also, just ordered my flight. MLG Raleigh here I come!

Goodbye 311$ :(

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
HaloFest tournament details.

Forge contest? Interesting. Would be really neat if it was on a CEA map...

Will Ghaleon clean up in the Firefight Score Attack tournament?
I'm interested - and would probably do decently - but it's in the middle of three panels I'm interested in. (Halo 4; Xbox Talks 10 Years of Halo, Halo Anniversary Multiplayer.)

I could skip the middle one for it...maybe I'll check out the line for the Score Attack thing and if it's short try to do it. The entry fee will keep many players out.

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
I do. I like that the abilities open up different ways to play in general, and that having pathways open/close depending on your choice introduces more potential for strategy.

There are many interesting jumps for the classic/invis/hologram/armorlock user.

And I thought the ending to the Mona Lisa "short" story was great. I haven't caught up on the motion comic since part 5.

Goes to show how far Reach strayed from Halo principles. Now it has a subtle class system on spawn.

The sprint jumpers don't bother me much. But the fact that there are perches that only jetpacks can access is crap. Jetpacks in general are crap. It's like lets take the super jump glitch from Halo 2, and make everyone be able to control it and use it on demand.

One of the most problematic spot is what we call "nipples", the vents above top DMR in Powerhouse. Plenty of cover. Top of the map. Cheapness galore.

I'd also disagree about "many" "interesting" jumps for everyone else. Not even sure if the medpack count down jump can be done without sprint. I'd say they are few, and uninteresting.

wwm0nkey

Plywood said:
Then we all hit max rank and have nothing to buy.

Feelsbadman.jpg
Its not like the current investment system really keeps people playing anyways.

-Keep Cr and current rank (keep as average XP rank)
-New 1-50 Level system in each playlist
-Cut down on some playlists
-More challenges or higher payout for challenges.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
wwm0nkey said:
Its not like the current investment system really keeps people playing anyways.

-Keep Cr and current rank (keep as average XP rank)
-New 1-50 Level system in each playlist
-Cut down on some playlists
-More challenges or higher payout for challenges.
No.

1-50 but no Highest Skill mark anywhere and every first of the month you lose 5 ranks off each playlist.

There. You can't sell 50s and you still get competitive games!

Seriously look at MLG pros they go into that playlist and never get a competitive game unless put up against another pro team which I'm sure happens rarely. Before though they could at least get matched with 50s over and over and be given some semblance of a challenge.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
What kind of shenanigans because if the MLG playlist had a 1-50 rank, I would be ple
Tashi0106 said:
What kind of shenanigans because if the MLG playlist had a 1-50 rank, I would be pleased.
I wish I could find the exact post from HBO, but someone had made a rather large post detailing the exact reasons why it's not useful to have ranks.

Basically it boiled down to:

-Modders
-Boosters
-Standbyers
-Bridgers

You bring back ranks you give people motivation to cheat because they feel they deserve something they haven't earned and they will blame it on external factors; lag, host, bloom, etc. Doing that gives them their justification to cheat to win something that isn't really theres because they haven't actually earned it.

The next thing is once again, playlist population, having ranked means that there would have to be social specific playlist. Social always tends to have a higher population than ranked, so you'd be getting matched up with ranks like:

Because there are less players at your skill level, because less people are playing Ranked and now matches take longer to start up.

Then there was selling accounts, people purposefully fudging the system to boost accounts for quick cash. You'd be able to look at people's XBL profiles and see in their bio "SELLS 50's, etc, etc".

Then there's the fact that 1-50 rank was just a representation of your Trueskill number/rating(whatever it is).

If you really want to try and get a competitive match you can always check the skill filter on and hope it does its job.

The difference between Halo 3 and Reach is there is little no motivating factor to try your absolute best because you aren't fighting for a number next to your name, you're just playing the game and credits don't provide the same level of satisfaction as seeing the number next to your name rise up did.

Tashi

plywood said:
I wish I could find the exact post from HBO, but someone had made a rather large post detailing the exact reasons why it's not useful to have ranks.

Basically it boiled down to:

-Modders
-Boosters
-Standbyers
-Bridgers

You bring back ranks you give people motivation to cheat because they feel they deserve something they haven't earned and they will blame it on external factors; lag, host, bloom, etc. Doing that gives them their justification to cheat to win something that isn't really theres because they haven't actually earned it.

The next thing is once again, playlist population, having ranked means that there would have to be social specific playlist. Social always tends to have a higher population than ranked, so you'd be getting matched up with ranks like:

Because there are less players at your skill level, because less people are playing Ranked and now matches take longer to start up.

Then there was selling accounts, people purposefully fudging the system to boost accounts for quick cash. You'd be able to look at people's XBL profiles and see in their bio "SELLS 50's, etc, etc".

Then there's the fact that 1-50 rank was just a representation of your Trueskill number/rating(whatever it is).

If you really want to try and get a competitive match you can always check the skill filter on and hope it does its job.

The difference between Halo 3 and Reach is there is little no motivating factor to try your absolute best because you aren't fighting for a number next to your name, you're just playing the game and credits don't provide the same level of satisfaction as seeing the number next to your name rise up did.
I didn't start seeing any major cheating until the final few months of Halo 3. Reach has 1 year left until Halo 4 is out, I'm not too worried. I shit on boosters. Let people sell all the accounts they want. I just want to get to my 50 and match with and against other 50s in MLG. That's all. I'm a simple man.

I know that it's different for me being at the "top of the food chain"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yeah well I want dedicated servers, WE CAN'T ALL GET WHAT WE WANT TASHI.

No but seriously, try that Skill filter if you haven't already.

I was a 50 too.

Tashi

Plywood said:
Yeah well I want dedicated servers, WE CAN'T ALL GET WHAT WE WANT TASHI.

No but seriously, try that Skill filter if you haven't already.

I was a 50 too.
Skill filter doesn't work. None of that shit works. It never did lol. I understand that with a playlist that has a small population True Skill shits on me but with Ranks I can at least see how bad they fucked up before the game starts lol. But really it has other benefits than just matching with similarly skilled players. You'll get less quitting for sure. That's a major problem and really keeps people from entering playlists with less than 4 players.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Skill filter doesn't work. None of that shit works. It never did lol. I understand that with a playlist that has a small population True Skill shits on me but with Ranks I can at least see how bad they fucked up before the game starts lol. But really it has other benefits than just matching with similarly skilled players. You'll get less quitting for sure. That's a major problem and really keeps people from entering playlists with less than 4 players.
I agree, they both definitely have their pro's and con's.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is there going to be campaign scoring in CE:A? Any word on that yet?

senador

Banned
I only want ranks back to see how well trueskill worked for the match. If it comes back I want it to reset and have seasons like Arena does and also be more flexible both up and down. I don't think there should be a "permanent" top. I like the idea of having to keep earning it.

Wow, this talk is a coincidence

Capture-2.jpg

My last game played, ten minutes ago.

The guy and his guest that quit? His second game ever in Reach. I've played over 500 games of Team Snipers. What is he doing in a game with me? If you were a 25 in Halo 3 you could only get matched against 15's to 35's (barring full party's going in with radically different ranks, which didn't affect you if you went in alone or as a two).

The guy and his guest die three times a piece then decide "whoah, I shouldn't have entered this playlist" then probably never return. The system is fucking broke, we need ranks back.

Top Bottom