• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't really know what the MLG community thinks. I try to stay away lol.

I'm really excited to go to Raleigh though and hopefully meet a bunch of players I've been playing against for years. I had a great experience the first time in 06 and I expect it to be 10x better. Besides sharing a hotel with like a bunch of other people lol.

Edit: I'm sorry but stock Halo, what Bungie has put into playlists has never been very good. Ever.

J10

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
2. Ok, it seems many of you Pro Reach guys seem to like Reach from a complete package kind of way. I think all of us ragging on it are only ragging on the competitive MP. The VANILLA competetive MP (Tashi....) And its here where Reach falls flat on its face in terms of its design choices. If we're taking JUST design choices into play here. Disregarding things like cheaters in Halo 2, and netcode in Halo 3, just based on the gameplay when it WORKS.

What do you honestly say?

Yeah, Reach wins. I like the extended player encounters. I like the cat and mouse gameplay that most of the Armor Abilities facilitate. I like the way the weapons perform.

And I wasn't making an argument when I said to stop playing Reach. I was making a suggestion. I see little sense in continuing a leisure activity you're not thoroughly enjoying. I have the same competitive nature as the rest of you, but I'm also having a good time when I play Reach.

Trasher

J10 said:
Yeah, Reach wins. I like the extended player encounters. I like the cat and mouse gameplay that most of the Armor Abilities facilitate. I like the way the weapons perform.

And I wasn't making an argument when I said to stop playing Reach. I was making a suggestion. I see little sense in continuing a leisure activity you're not thoroughly enjoying. I have the same competitive nature as the rest of you, but I'm also having a good time when I play Reach.
I enjoy it when I play it...but not for very long (unlike previous Halo games). I burn out on it really fast. And the reason I enjoy it is mainly because of the people I'm playing with.

See, I won't deny that the overall package is amazing. Forge is light years better than what we had in Halo3. Theater mode is the most amazing thing ever in my opinion. For as many of the things that I didn't like about Halo3, theater mode really blew me away. Firefight: what an awesome addition to an already complete package of campaign/matchmaking/forge/theater mode. But the most important thing for me is still going to be how much fun I have in matchmaking.

I really don't have anything against anyone who really likes Reach. But like Trasher mentioned, there are too many things that prevent me from really enjoying the matchmaking side of the game. And that feeds into everything else. If I don't enjoy matchmaking, I'm not going to spend time in forge creating maps. If I'm not playing games, then theater mode no longer has as much value. Firefight is fun on a limited basis (for me), but that is not why I buy Halo games.

I agree that the total package is amazing, but matchmaking falls short for me. And I never thought it would be possible to release a Halo game that I liked less than Halo3. But I'll wait for the TU for final judgement.

GhaleonEB

I feel like Reach finally has some MP niches I can enjoy, now and then. The two playlists I hit are Firefight Doubles, and Premium Battle. The lack of armor lock, Invasion now and then for variety (I dislike Invasion Breakpoint a bit less than I used to) and the generally stronger map selection make it a decent playlist. It took until that playlist went up for there to be one in Reach where I could say, I want to go play that in multiplayer. But I'd rank Reach overall as hands down the worst online Multiplayer game in the series. Which still, incidentally, makes it better than most other games - which is why I'm still playing it.

But if you include Firefight in the "multiplayer" sense, Reach is my favorite in the series, because Reach's Firefight is my favorite thing in the series bar none. If it were not in the package, I'd be on to other games by now, because the Multiplayer side of the house is not enough to hold me for more than a few games a day.

But Premium Battle and to a degree Squad Slayer highlight how much potential Reach has. It requires some restraint in how the toys are doled out. I have very, very high hopes for the TU from 343. I don't expect miracles, but a handful of smart fixes could really improve the game.

FyreWulff

You know what I'm still wondering about?

How in the hell the Forge tournament is going to work.

Are we just going to make maps and they'll be judged afterwards by a panel?

Are we still eligible if we're a Community Cartographer?

Maximum budget?

Maps (yay!) or Forge art (oh god i am so screwed)?

GhaleonEB said:
I feel like Reach finally has some MP niches I can enjoy, now and then. The two playlists I hit are Firefight Doubles, and Premium Battle. The lack of armor lock, Invasion now and then for variety (I dislike Invasion Breakpoint a bit less than I used to) and the generally stronger map selection make it a decent playlist. It took until that playlist went up for there to be one in Reach where I could say, I want to go play that in multiplayer. But I'd rank Reach overall as hands down the worst online Multiplayer game in the series. Which still, incidentally, makes it better than most other games - which is why I'm still playing it.

But if you include Firefight in the "multiplayer" sense, Reach is my favorite in the series, because Reach's Firefight is my favorite thing in the series bar none. If it were not in the package, I'd be on to other games by now, because the Multiplayer side of the house is not enough to hold me for more than a few games a day.

But Premium Battle and to a degree Squad Slayer highlight how much potential Reach has. It requires some restraint in how the toys are doled out. I have very, very high hopes for the TU from 343. I don't expect miracles, but a handful of smart fixes could really improve the game.

I might hop on for some some firefight. I haven't played in ages, I'll shoot you an invite if you are on.

I really hope the TU gives the Halo fans of GAF who dislike MP Reach something they can play and enjoy and love.

I love Halo. I love playing every game. I love playing it competitively. I love that each game has been a larger, more complex, and more detailed production. I love that so many features have been added and improved (with a few exceptions--for example, I really miss watching films as a party in 3). Reach really has so many great things going for it, and the issues people have here are really very small ones in the grand scheme of things.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:

Yup. If you like those, dabble into Team Objective too. Evade is the only problem there.

When you get into a good, decently close trueskill match. On a good map. Where everyone plays normally.... Reach is pretty good.

It's all these little things that add to a frustrating experience a lot of the time.

Trasher

I completely agree with both Deputy and Ghaleon...aside from the huge Firefight love though. :) Even though I rarely play Firefight I still respect that it was an overall good addition to the series for players like Ghaleon that really dig that stuff. And yes, in part it helps make Reach into a great gaming package with Forge, the Theater, etc. It's just too bad the matchmaking and gameplay aren't as good as I hoped they'd be because that's where the true heart of Halo lies to me.

Lets see what this TU can do though.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:
You know what I'm still wondering about?

How in the hell the Forge tournament is going to work.

I've heard whispers around the office about what to expect. I'll see if we can't get some more specifics out there soon. Folks who were in attendance at the Reach launch party in Seattle last year will have a rough idea of what to expect.

So I've realized that I am not cool enough to play with haloGAF. After pleading for invites and asking if anyone wants to play I am left playing Reach solo. Maybe I should put TJ in my GT.

Tashi

Devin Olsen said:
So I've realized that I am not cool enough to play with haloGAF. After pleading for invites and asking if anyone wants to play I am left playing Reach solo. Maybe I should be TJ in my GT.

Nah don't do that. That'll just make you suck at the game :p

Tawpgun

Devin Olsen said:
So I've realized that I am not cool enough to play with haloGAF. After pleading for invites and asking if anyone wants to play I am left playing Reach solo. Maybe I should put TJ in my GT.
Don't have you on my FL, send me an FR and I'll invite you whenever I can. I refuse to play this game alone.

gt: Tawpgun

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
Don't have you on my FL, send me an FR and I'll invite you whenever I can. I refuse to play this game alone.

gt: Tawpgun
I'm gonna send you a FR. I never wanna play with randoms again, and HaloGAF is my only hope, haha. Devin, you should add me, too. GT = popular revolt.

Trasher

Devin Olsen said:
I never got a message from you. >_>

Also, Sai Kun: You left before I could tell you I was joking lol.

GhaleonEB

A soft kill barrier along the entire ridge on Breakpoint would be neat. Getting spawn killed by the sniper as we respawn on the ice shelf is not fun.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
A soft kill barrier along the entire ridge on Breakpoint would be neat. Getting spawn killed by the sniper as we respawn on the ice shelf is not fun.
Agreed. I understand what they were going for by dividing the two sections of the map by Invasion phase, but that ridge is awful.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Nah don't do that. That'll just make you suck at the game :p
Nutter is a Forerunner. That's a much higher rank than you scrub.

Devin Olsen said:
Lol I messaged everyone but you. No worries, me and eazyB are ripping up double team now.
I'll send invites for PAX passes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devin Olsen said:
Any GAF'ers interested in playing in the 4v4 Tourny with me let me know... I believe I have a Team of 3 so far.

Also if anyone is still looking for PAX tickets I have two 3 day passes that I will sell for $150.00 each.

I have a 3 hour TJ party pass that I will sell for $150. Interested?

Louis Wu

A27 Tawpgun said:
But when you start to play more competitively at a higher level is where the faults are really visible. Small little things that add up to cost you a kill, a death, or even the game. I think thats the common theme around here. I hope I'm not coming across as "IM GOODER AT HALOZ SO I KNOW WHATS BAD AND GOOD" It's just when something in the Reach formula bullshits me out of a kill, or causes my death, its a big deal. To me, Halo shouldn't do that.
I got cheated out of (or, more accurately, FELT like I got cheated out of) plenty of kills in Halo 3, and Halo 2 before it. It's happened in Reach, too, of course - I just don't feel (personally) like it happens MORE in Reach.

I made a concerted effort to get better at the game in Halo 3 - I went from a 0.8 K/D spread in my first 2500 social games to a 0.88 after 3300 games. (May not sound like a huge jump - but it means I averaged 1.13 in those last 800 games; that's a substantial climb.) I did this by caring about my wins, and paying attention to how I was playing.

That carried over into Reach. My K/D is only 1.05 in Reach (after 2000 competitive games) - but I'm not generally dicking around. I'm not good enough to hang with the GAF elite, but that's okay - I'm twice as old as most of them. :) I DO try, and I DO enjoy winning, and I DO feel like my ability, or lack thereof, is the most important factor in whether I do well or not. I'm not sure if that counts as 'competitive' in your mind, however. I'm certainly not playing (usually) against folks who are way out of my league - and while I do, definitely, do things like time power weapons and work on holding areas with teammates, I don't do it on the level of some of you guys - and so don't feel the same sense of betrayal when the game goes against me at some point.

Earlier today, I played (not by choice) a game of Elite Slayer on Condemned. The opposing team went almost uniformly with Armor Lock through the entire match. One of my teammates and I (randoms, both of us) DESTROYED them. (+25 between us, we won the match 75-62 despite our other three teammates going negative double digits combined.) Yeah, it was annoying - but it wasn't unfun. In fact, there's almost nothing more satisfying than timing that grenade throw to explode exactly when their armor lock expires. :)

I dunno. I like the game. I like the pacing of the DMR, I like the fact that when I'm careful, and control bloom, I USUALLY beat the guy I'm shooting if he spams and the range is mid or greater. I like knowing that I can step under a ledge, and make that jetpacker move into a more vulnerable position in order to hit me - especially when my teammates notice and teamshoot him. I like the fact that Evade can save my ass from a grenade when nothing else can (and I can be impressed when it's used well against me, too, without feeling ripped off). It's a slower-paced game than Halo 2, that's for sure - probably even slower-paced than Halo 3. But it rewards teamwork more than the games that came before it - and I like that.

Yeah, it definitely has problems. There are maps I really dislike, and gametypes I really dislike. There are times when nothing feels right, and nothing goes my way. (Those are times when I need to be doing something other than playing Reach. :) ) I miss things about Halo, and Halo 2, and Halo 3, things that are gone in Reach and haven't really been satisfactorily replaced. But I ENJOY playing it, most of the time. With randoms, and with friends. (In fact, I'm finding that Reach, more than any Halo game before it, lets me feel good about playing outside my league. I don't really enjoy playing with many of the people on my FL, because they're MUCH better than I am, and the games we get into match me up with people I can't compete with. And even when I get carried, it's not a lot of fun to get killed over and over and over again. This has been true in ALL Halo games. But (for example), yesterday, a couple of guys that are definitely out of my normal league (mid-level Onyx in Arena) grabbed a buddy (5% Gold) and took me into Arena with them. I warned them they were handicapping themselves... but they just laughed and went in anyway. And you know what? We had fun. We won our first three games. I went positive in our first, and even in our second. I can't do that in Halo 3, or Halo 2 (play outside my league and not be a drain on my teammates). So that's ANOTHER thing Reach has going for it, in my eyes.)

I guess I'd agree with the "the better you are, the less you like Reach" theory... except I can't explain Tashi. :)

Dammit, what am I doing up... I gotta work in 6 hours. :(

Louis Wu said:
I got cheated out of (or, more accurately, FELT like I got cheated out of) plenty of kills in Halo 3, and Halo 2 before it. It's happened in Reach, too, of course - I just don't feel (personally) like it happens MORE in Reach.

I made a concerted effort to get better at the game in Halo 3 - I went from a 0.8 K/D spread in my first 2500 social games to a 0.88 after 3300 games. (May not sound like a huge jump - but it means I averaged 1.13 in those last 800 games; that's a substantial climb.) I did this by caring about my wins, and paying attention to how I was playing.

That carried over into Reach. My K/D is only 1.05 in Reach (after 2000 competitive games) - but I'm not generally dicking around. I'm not good enough to hang with the GAF elite, but that's okay - I'm twice as old as most of them. :) I DO try, and I DO enjoy winning, and I DO feel like my ability, or lack thereof, is the most important factor in whether I do well or not. I'm not sure if that counts as 'competitive' in your mind, however. I'm certainly not playing (usually) against folks who are way out of my league - and while I do, definitely, do things like time power weapons and work on holding areas with teammates, I don't do it on the level of some of you guys - and so don't feel the same sense of betrayal when the game goes against me at some point.

Earlier today, I played (not by choice) a game of Elite Slayer on Condemned. The opposing team went almost uniformly with Armor Lock through the entire match. One of my teammates and I (randoms, both of us) DESTROYED them. (+25 between us, we won the match 75-62 despite our other three teammates going negative double digits combined.) Yeah, it was annoying - but it wasn't unfun. In fact, there's almost nothing more satisfying than timing that grenade throw to explode exactly when their armor lock expires. :)

I dunno. I like the game. I like the pacing of the DMR, I like the fact that when I'm careful, and control bloom, I USUALLY beat the guy I'm shooting if he spams and the range is mid or greater. I like knowing that I can step under a ledge, and make that jetpacker move into a more vulnerable position in order to hit me - especially when my teammates notice and teamshoot him. I like the fact that Evade can save my ass from a grenade when nothing else can (and I can be impressed when it's used well against me, too, without feeling ripped off). It's a slower-paced game than Halo 2, that's for sure - probably even slower-paced than Halo 3. But it rewards teamwork more than the games that came before it - and I like that.

Yeah, it definitely has problems. There are maps I really dislike, and gametypes I really dislike. There are times when nothing feels right, and nothing goes my way. (Those are times when I need to be doing something other than playing Reach. :) ) I miss things about Halo, and Halo 2, and Halo 3, things that are gone in Reach and haven't really been satisfactorily replaced. But I ENJOY playing it, most of the time. With randoms, and with friends. (In fact, I'm finding that Reach, more than any Halo game before it, lets me feel good about playing outside my league. I don't really enjoy playing with many of the people on my FL, because they're MUCH better than I am, and the games we get into match me up with people I can't compete with. And even when I get carried, it's not a lot of fun to get killed over and over and over again. This has been true in ALL Halo games. But (for example), yesterday, a couple of guys that are definitely out of my normal league (mid-level Onyx in Arena) grabbed a buddy (5% Gold) and took me into Arena with them. I warned them they were handicapping themselves... but they just laughed and went in anyway. And you know what? We had fun. We won our first three games. I went positive in our first, and even in our second. I can't do that in Halo 3, or Halo 2 (play outside my league and not be a drain on my teammates). So that's ANOTHER thing Reach has going for it, in my eyes.)

I guess I'd agree with the "the better you are, the less you like Reach" theory... except I can't explain Tashi. :)

Dammit, what am I doing up... I gotta work in 6 hours. :(

I love the consistency in Reach. I love knowing that when I pull the trigger, my bullets will hit somewhere in the reticle, unlike Halo 3 where lag and spread made shooting the BR a somewhat random affair. With bloom, it's random where the bullet hits in the reticle, but rest assured it's going to hit inside the reticle. And that's all thanks to the fantastic netcode of Reach, for which I'll base current and future online experiences from.

I love how easy it is to team up with people and play games together in Reach.

I love jetpacking, hitscan sniping, Invasion skunking, Needler whoring, bacon frying, Pro Pipe punking and the lack of flag juggling. There are many elements of this game I enjoy wholeheartedly.

But at the end of the day, there's something missing in Reach that I felt with previous entries in the series. I don't feel like I'm playing a Halo game -- I feel like I'm playing another studio's take on Halo, like someone tried to emulate the series but didn't quite make it.

So I'm experimenting with making a custom shirt for me to wear at PAX. I'm using bleach and stencils, following this tutorial.

Obligatory MySpace mirror photo with terrible lighting:
2wna5g9.jpg

(I flipped the image horizontally, so WYSIWYG.)

Also my eyes don't normally look that weird. I'm really tired.

FyreWulff

Oh damn that looks snazzy. I'm tempted to do that with my emblem:

emblem.ashx

Somebody said they were going to make me a shirt for that in time for PAX but I don't think it's happening at this point.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ncsuDuncan said:
So I'm experimenting with making a custom shirt for me to wear at PAX. I'm using bleach and stencils, following this tutorial.

Obligatory MySpace mirror photo with terrible lighting:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2wna5g9.jpg
Looks awesome. The bleach stencil method is really fun, and usually creates a good effect.

PS: I just had an two awesome games of Doubles with, believe it or not, randoms. Me and my partner narrowly won our first game with the other team at 24. We headed back into matchmaking together, got matched with the same pair, and then got our asses handed to us. But all the guys were hilarious and good sports, so it was fun anyhow.

Hitmonchan107 said:
V-necks FTMFW.
No one can resist the allure of a Deep V.

Test shirt #2 may or may not have a Destiny logo on it...
It does.

339qfih.jpg
hs8k8z.jpg

FireWulff said:
Oh damn that looks snazzy. I'm tempted to do that with my emblem:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/emblem.a...bi=43&fl=0&m=1
Hmm, for your emblem you'd have to get a little creative with the stencil. Mine was easy because there aren't any intersecting lines.

ncsuDuncan said:
No one can resist the allure of a Deep V.

Test shirt #2 may or may not have a Destiny logo on it...
It does.

339qfih.jpg
hs8k8z.jpg

Hmm, for your emblem you'd have to get a little creative with the stencil. Mine was easy because there aren't any intersecting lines.
Lol with that destiny logo you'll get harassed by fanyboys I bet. Let me know how that goes

Tashi

Louis Wu said:
I guess I'd agree with the "the better you are, the less you like Reach" theory... except I can't explain Tashi :)
I can't explain it either lol. I will say though that stock Reach is better than Halo 3. Stock Halo 3 is so fuckin bad. Equipment, dual wielding, slow run speed. And I know everyone complains about the base run speed in Reach and Trasher has told me that difference in FoV makes it seem like the spartan is moving fast. Whatever the case is, it's not torturous like it is in Halo 3. The DMR > BR. I adore the range.

But everyone knows I don't play much other than MLG. I guess I can sit and think of the reasons and then post them. Give it a good time to think.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
I can't explain it either lol. I will say though that stock Reach is better than Halo 3. Stock Halo 3 is so fuckin bad. Equipment, dual wielding, slow run speed. And I know everyone complains about the base run speed in Reach and Trasher has told me that difference in FoV makes it seem like the spartan is moving fast. Whatever the case is, it's not torturous like it is in Halo 3. The DMR > BR. I adore the range.

But everyone knows I don't play much other than MLG. I guess I can sit and think of the reasons and then post them. Give it a good time to think.

I feel your opinion on the game is skewed due to you playing something that isn't even what Bungie put out. Play stock Reach for a month and tell me it's the best Halo MP game ever, I don't think you would. :p

It's not just the 4v4 that has problems, BTB has the biggest problems of all. The range of the DMR just completely bogs down the gameplay in a BTB setting, the vehicles are either useless or so OP they shouldn't be in the game, and the map selection for BTB is probably hands down the worst in any high profile shooter ever.

The game has its moments where it can be really fun, but those moments are so far and few between for me there's no way I can say this is my favorite Halo MP game. Halo 2 had cheaters, and Halo 3 had a terrible BR spread, but I consistently had fun in those games every night, regardless of what I got stuck playing. I usually turn Reach off at the end of the night wondering why I didn't go to sleep early instead. :p

Tashi

Oh, I know compared to what Reach could be, the stock version sucks. This goes for Halo 3 and Halo 2 as well though. Standard playlists in Halo have never been great.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:

I feel like the TJ crew is stuck in this skill level limbo of Reach where we are about better than 95% of the people in regular matchmaking, but not quite on the level of the MLG playlist players. I'm not saying that's accurate by any means, but it sure as hell feels like it. Maybe we should just play MLG hardcore for a month and see if we can learn the maps/callouts/gametypes haha.

Wu has an interesting theory though!

Bad < Semi-Skilled < Dongers < MLG wannabes (Tashi) < MLG Pros
| Love Reach | Despise It | Love Reach | Play it for the monies |

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Devolution said:
Trash talk message of the week.

ClDYO.png

It was a shitty random and I juices got last night, wow.
wwwwwwtf is that supposed to mean? :lol

I need to trash talk more so I get hilarious messages like that, hah.

Good games tonight, except I think I'm gonna have nightmares of whirring grenukes flying at my feet tonight.

Top Bottom