• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Havok

A27_StarWolf said:
Plasma Launcher: Remove

Laser: Place inside the pelican
Swap these, but not inside the pelican, unless it's the exact halfway point between the two teams' teleporter exits. The Laser is among the worst things to happen to vehicle combat in this series, axe it forever. The Plasma Launcher does the same job without the ability for players to snipe a vehicle from a ridiculous distance with no warning to the occupants; all in all, a better designed weapon.

Two way Teleport: Replace with light man cannons that send you to the center.
Ew.

feel

Dani said:
Any word on who will be 343' s playlist manager?
Oh it's Shishka, they just thought it would be bad PR to disclose that because people would think of AR starts Standoff and the like. After a while when he keep doing a great job and everyone keeps trying to find out the identity of this brilliant playlist manager, they'll drop the Shishkabomb and blow everyone's mind.

@hitmonchan ohgosh! ^_^

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Swap these, but not inside the pelican, unless it's the exact halfway point between the two team's teleporter exits. The Laser is among the worst things to happen to vehicle combat in this series, axe it forever. The Plasma Launcher does the same job without the ability for players to snipe a vehicle from a ridiculous distance with no warning to the occupants; all in all, a better designed weapon.
Agree with this update, and with the other changes as well (sans teleporter change).

As for the laser...we had a CTF game last night on Highlands were a highly coordinated team effort resulted in the flag being driven off in a Warthog, only to be lasered from across the map; it just feels so cheap. It's one of those things where I just can't fathom the reasons for including it in multiplayer. Highlands would play better without it.

GhaleonEB said:
Agree with this update, and with the other changes as well (sans teleporter change).

As for the laser...we had a CTF game last night on Highlands were a highly coordinated team effort resulted in the flag being driven off in a Warthog, only to be lasered from across the map; it just feels so cheap. It's one of those things where I just can't fathom the reasons for including it in multiplayer. Highlands would play better without it.

Yes because driving on a vehicle thats faster than foot is also NOT CHEAP. Its included for fucking balance. Duh. Its a great weapon to be included because it does something great, IT DESTROYS VEHICLES.

Oldschool Juices.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well that's not going to change how he felt about it. It does suck getting in a vehicle only to have it blown up instantly by a laser.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hypertrooper said:
According to his twitter profil, he is working on Halo 4. No other clues if he works on Halo: CE:A. I don't think, we will get Halo 4 stuff at GamesCom, but sure we will see something from Halo: CE:A. Maybe they will show the Firefight map or a new MP map?

Wouldn't read too much into that. He's just excited about GamesCom. Always a lot of games shown off there.

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
Well that's not going to change how he felt about it. It does suck getting in a vehicle only to have it blown up instantly by a laser.

Control the laser before getting in hog... /sucking

Tawpgun

Risen said:
Control the laser before getting in hog... /sucking
Controlling an annoying, vehicle breaking power weapon doesn't get rid of an annoying, vehicle breaking power weapon.

Lock On Rockets were best. Plauncher is too slow/inconsistent.

Risen

A27 Tawpgun said:
Controlling an annoying, vehicle breaking power weapon doesn't get rid of an annoying, vehicle breaking power weapon.

Of course it doesn't get rid of the weapon, but it does mean you need to control the weapon and when it's in your hands - you control it's implementation.

I just don't see it as overpowered... I see it as another power weapon to be controlled during a match... functionally it kills vehicles... just like lock on rockets.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:

Lock-on rockets were great for the speedy H2 vehicles. Plasma Launcher is a great tool, as well.

Laser can remove itself.

Risen said:
Of course it doesn't get rid of the weapon, but it does mean you need to control the weapon and when it's in your hands - you control it's implementation.

I just don't see it as overpowered... I see it as another power weapon to be controlled during a match... functionally it kills vehicles... just like lock on rockets.
Dodging a rocket in Halo 2 was feasible, especially in a Banshee.

Not so much for the laser as you're destined to be killed unless the person can't aim a huge reticle. And there's no sound or signal you're about to get demolished.

Tashi0106 said:
Raise that shit up high!

I agree with you

twilight-zone%255B1%255D.jpg

That is sweet for you guys just comes as a bit of a surprise.

Louis Wu

Captain Blood said:
Halo Reach is your favorite Halo MP experience?
Overall? Yes.

I've had moments in other games that were better - but for the full multiplayer experience, I enjoy Reach more than any game that came before it.

(That's an important word, 'full'. It means that Halo 1's multiplayer gets HUGE points off for not being available online. It means Halo 2 loses points for no Firefight. And so on.)

And I don't get NEARLY as ticked off about armor abilities as many of you guys - so Reach doesn't suffer from them, for me.

Hitmonchan107 said:
When Reach is good, it's definitely on par with my favorite Halo experiences.

I still believe that there's a great game in there somewhere. The TU will most likely determine whether or not its true potential will ever be realized.

PooBone

Captain Blood said:
Halo Reach is your favorite Halo MP experience?
That probably belongs to Halo 3 imho. There's things I like about all of them personally.
Halo 2 had the best maps
Halo 3 had the best overall balance
Halo Reach has the whole package of firefight, MM, etc, and the armory stuff. Also DMR>BR in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if they took out the bloom, but then it would basically be a weaker version of the CE pistol.

I'm not a fan of Armor Abilities, or Bloom, but neither of those is the dealbreaker for me. It's the boring ass maps.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Raise that shit up high!

I agree with you
You are so right. Reach has the greatest maps ever. It's perfect. Bloom was the greatest addition of all. The multiplayer experience is amazing with the perfect trueskill, and I can't even remember the last time someone on the other team quit out to ruin a game.

J10

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
There are people, who even like Halo: Reach and are thinking it is the best Halo.

That would be me. I like Armor Abilities, Spartan Lasers, bloom and everything else. I wouldn't play it if it wasn't dope.

xxxstylzxxx said:
I still believe that there's a great game in there somewhere. The TU will most likely determine whether or not its true potential will ever be realized.
That's how it is for me.

I'm going to play the game a bit before PAX (I haven't in a little while), and then I'm going to compare the two experiences.

Trasher said:
You are so right. Reach has the greatest maps ever. It's perfect. Bloom was the greatest addition of all. The multiplayer experience is amazing with the perfect trueskill, and I can't even remember the last time someone on the other team quit out to ruin a game.
People's opinions are different. :p

For me Reach isn't the best MP experience, but isn't that bad like everyone said. I have a ton of fun. Okay, bloom sucks, Grenades suck. But I can live with that.

Louis Wu

Trasher said:
See, this is why I don't bother to get into most of these debates.

I said Reach was the best overall MP experience for me. I didn't say it had the greatest maps ever (or even the greatest maps in the Halo series). I didn't say it was perfect. I didn't say bloom was the best addition of all, or even that bloom figured into my answer. I didn't say it was amazing, or that trueskill was perfect. And I sure as HELL didn't say nobody ever quits out on me.

Neither did Tashi, for what it's worth (since you're replying to him).

Why does everything have to be either THE BEST THING EVARRRRR or the suckiest game ever invented? Why can't there be a continuum... and why is it so surprising that when I weigh ALL the features of a particular game, and look at how much of my life for a given time period I'm putting into it (which, for me, is a pretty good indicator of how much I like it, I realize that's not true for some of you guys, who seem to hate it and STILL play more than me)... that I put Reach at the top of the pile?

Eh, whatever. You're right. IT'S THE BEST GAME EVARRRR! NOTHING WILL EVER COME CLOSE!

Until the next thing that sucks all my time.

Louis Wu said:
Overall? Yes.

I've had moments in other games that were better - but for the full multiplayer experience, I enjoy Reach more than any game that came before it.

(That's an important word, 'full'. It means that Halo 1's multiplayer gets HUGE points off for not being available online. It means Halo 2 loses points for no Firefight. And so on.)

And I don't get NEARLY as ticked off about armor abilities as many of you guys - so Reach doesn't suffer from them, for me.

Alright I can see that if you are a big firefight fan. I was just thinking competitive MP.

feel

J10 said:
That would be me. I like Armor Abilities, Spartan Lasers, bloom and everything else. I wouldn't play it if it wasn't dope.
2lcs0vm.jpg

You're forgiven. Wu too, because he means coop+firefight+competitive (at a relaxed, no-pressure low level of play). Tashi though, tsk tsk tsk...

Sean P. said:
Ordered my shirt, so excited! (hopefully in a unique color, and hopefully with still readable font)
Did you go with one of the brighter ones? :lol

v smh at reasons treating the games as if they were released at the same time with the same level of studio experience and manpower

FyreWulff

Halo 1: balance is fucked (weapon diversity? lol, just pick up the pistol), limited game option palette

Halo 2: exploited to hell and back bugfest

Halo 3: poop for netcode, inferior version of Forge as compared to Reach, 100 item limit (which was painful for me and other habitual Forgers)

Reach practically wins by default, but it's also my favorite multiplayer Halo experience because it has the most robust package. Add on the superior Forge, better file search and management, the ability to have thousands of content items on your profile instead of 100, the unhooking of longevity ranks from skill ranks, the absolute way in which it ended the boosting and second accounting and the cheating those behaviors encouraged from Halo 2 and 3, the much more robust player customization suite, the ability for Bungie and now 343 to ship us BRAND NEW GAMETYPES that did not exist at launch.. yeah.

It's not contest to me. I like going back and playing 3 once in a while, I have no problem with it's gameplay (in general). I just prefer Reach. There's problems with Reach, but none of them are enough to make me go back to playing 3 full time - even if they somehow backported Reach's netcode to 3. I can't even stand playing Halo 2 Vista because most of the damn servers are either Foundation Snipers or MLG gametypes only, it's like people forgot the other 20 Halo 2 maps that exist out there.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
Lol what's your favorite Halo?

Trasher

Louis Wu said:

I said Reach was the best overall MP experience for me. I didn't say it had the greatest maps ever (or even the greatest maps in the Halo series). I didn't say it was perfect. I didn't say bloom was the best addition of all, or even that bloom figured into my answer. I didn't say it was amazing, or that trueskill was perfect. And I sure as HELL didn't say nobody ever quits out on me.

Why does everything have to be either THE BEST THING EVARRRRR or the suckiest game ever invented? Why can't there be a continuum... and why is it so surprising that when I weigh ALL the features of a particular game, and look at how much of my life for a given time period I'm putting into it (which, for me, is a pretty good indicator of how much I like it, I realize that's not true for some of you guys, who seem to hate it and STILL play more than me)... that I put Reach at the top of the pile?

Eh, whatever. You're right. IT'S THE BEST GAME EVARRRR! NOTHING WILL EVER COME CLOSE!

Whoa whoa whoa. I wasn't implying all of those things you mentioned. It was just supposed to be a stupid sarcastic post to make people laugh haha. I know everyone has their own opinions, but I feel like Reach did a lot of things wrong in regards to the multiplayer experience compared to past Halos. I know you don't think the game is perfect. No game ever will be.

In a way though it sums up some of the worst things about the game that ruin its MP experience for me. I won't rag on anyone if they call Reach their favorite multiplayer experience. That's great if it is and if it included a lot of the things you were hoping to experience online. But for me I thought a lot of what made Halo a great multiplayer experience was ruined in Reach. I've said it many times before in these threads about how unsatisfying winning in this game can be. I've never been so frustrated before with a Halo game...even when I'm winning.

And yes there have always been quitters, and there have always been issues in prior Halo games with trueskill, but never as bad as it is in Reach for me. Ramirez talks about it all the time about how we rarely get a competitive game when we play. And then when we finally do get one, it doesn't feel rewarding if we win.

Here are my top gripes (in no specific order) with Reach that I thought were either bad tweaks to previous classic Halo gameplay, or were poor implementations on their own:

Grenades
AA's and loadouts (MLG at least is on to something with their sort of AA/powerup pickups)
Bloom
Multiplayer maps
Playlists
Vehicles
Trueskill
Melee

Those are all super important things in my opinion that severely hurt the multiplayer experience. And a good amount of those things listed are better by at least a little in some of the other Halos. So yeah, that's why I think Reach's multiplayer experience is quite poor when I play it.

Louis Wu said:

I feel your pain, I really enjoy this game, but sometimes people gotta bring me down man :/

J10

Banned
Trasher said:
Here are my top gripes (in no specific order) with Reach that I thought were either bad tweaks to previous classic Halo gameplay, or were poor implementations on their own:

Grenades
AA's and loadouts (MLG at least is on to something with their sort of AA/powerup pickups)
Bloom
Multiplayer maps
Playlists
Vehicles
Trueskill
Melee

Those are all super important things in my opinion that severely hurt the multiplayer experience. And a good amount of those things listed are better by at least a little in some of the other Halos. So yeah, that's why I think Reach's multiplayer experience is quite poor when I play it.

So the entire game. Stop. Playing. It.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Lol what's your favorite Halo?
Well my favorite Halo multiplayer experience would most likely be with Halo 3. Cheaters ruined 2 for me mainly. Can't even say Halo 1 because XBC doesn't really count. But 3 did a lot of the best things right when it comes down to the core gameplay that made this series popular.

Things could be totally different if I was slightly better at Reach and could handle the MLG playlist without getting completely donged on. I do enjoy the gametypes in there the most, but I just can't hang with all of those try-hards (lawl). The hitscan is what really makes Reach at least somewhat enjoyable for me. If that was gone I would probably have actually stopped playing the game a long time ago.

J10 said:
I pretty much did. >_>

Sorry if I want to play with my friends and shoot the shit still. That in itself is why I hop on every now and then.

Tawpgun

Risen said:

Lock on rockets weren't a point and death weapon. Vehicle drivers also had a chance at dodging them.

I just hate that design excuse. YEAH ITS A BULLSHIT WEAPON THATS WHY YOU GOTTA CONTROL IT. Just bring back my lock on rockets :) Much more satisfying to use imo.

Tashi0106 said:
Raise that shit up high!

I agree with you
Question: What does the MLG community think of Reach. This goes out to anyone close to the MLG community. I've always wondered.

Also, vanilla reach. Not MLG reach.

Louis Wu said:
That's because you're like the most lighthearted fun having person I know when you play Reach.

But when you start to play more competitively at a higher level is where the faults are really visible. Small little things that add up to cost you a kill, a death, or even the game. I think thats the common theme around here. I hope I'm not coming across as "IM GOODER AT HALOZ SO I KNOW WHATS BAD AND GOOD" It's just when something in the Reach formula bullshits me out of a kill, or causes my death, its a big deal. To me, Halo shouldn't do that.

J10 said:
That's not fair and a shitty argument. I play Halo Reach because everyone else does, because I love the netcode and I've gotten use to it, and its a hell of a lot more fresh than Halo 3, which I got really burnt out on by its end.

So why not play another game? Because I love Halo. I love shooters but there's no other console shooter thats like Halo.

FyreWulff said:
Halo 1: balance is fucked (weapon diversity? lol, just pick up the pistol), limited game option palette

Halo 2: exploited to hell and back bugfest

Halo 3: poop for netcode, inferior version of Forge as compared to Reach, 100 item limit (which was painful for me and other habitual Forgers)

Reach practically wins by default, but it's also my favorite multiplayer Halo experience because it has the most robust package. Add on the superior Forge, better file search and management, the ability to have thousands of content items on your profile instead of 100, the unhooking of longevity ranks from skill ranks, the absolute way in which it ended the boosting and second accounting and the cheating those behaviors encouraged from Halo 2 and 3, the much more robust player customization suite, the ability for Bungie and now 343 to ship us BRAND NEW GAMETYPES that did not exist at launch.. yeah.

It's not contest to me. I like going back and playing 3 once in a while, I have no problem with it's gameplay (in general). I just prefer Reach. There's problems with Reach, but none of them are enough to make me go back to playing 3 full time - even if they somehow backported Reach's netcode to 3. I can't even stand playing Halo 2 Vista because most of the damn servers are either Foundation Snipers or MLG gametypes only, it's like people forgot the other 20 Halo 2 maps that exist out there.

1. The pistol was obviously the best weapon in the game and such... but disregarding that it had the best weapon balance in the series. Every gun sans needler was useful.

2. Ok, it seems many of you Pro Reach guys seem to like Reach from a complete package kind of way. I think all of us ragging on it are only ragging on the competitive MP. The VANILLA competetive MP (Tashi....) And its here where Reach falls flat on its face in terms of its design choices. If we're taking JUST design choices into play here. Disregarding things like cheaters in Halo 2, and netcode in Halo 3, just based on the gameplay when it WORKS.

What do you honestly say?

Please don't give me any "YOU CANT JUST TAKE AWAY THE FAULTS OF THE OTHER GAMES BLAH BLAH." I'm keeping it strictly ideal gameplay only for this little poll. I'm not talking about people playing with respect, "honor" ect. They can abuse ANYTHING they want from the core gameplay (CE Pistol, Equipement/AA abusing ect.) But it's strictly gameplay with no outside negative impacts.

Halo 1's Perfect Multiplayer
Halo 2's Perfect Multiplayer
Halo 3's Perfect Multiplayer
Halo Reach's Perfect Multiplayer (all armor abilities included)

neoism

Louis Wu said:
Overall? Yes.

this

Top Bottom