• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Hypertrooper said:
We are playing Reach. I don't want to download the update for BFBC2.

Just fire up your xbox and DL it now so you don't have to worry about it.

I'm driving back to Pullman today. I'll be stealing my neighbors wireless until we get cable and internet installed in the new place. Given that wireless is strong enough, I'd be down to play some Reach or BC2 tonight.

Highlights from pod-cast discussing Halo Fest... The majority of it is old news.

- 30,000 sq/ft of Halo
- Tournaments (some for Charity)
- Prizes
- Panels (Halo 4 panel is going to very interesting and exciting)
- Halo Fest will be Across the street from the main PAX expo. (It is in the spot that boardgames were last year. You go down the escalators, across the street and then back up the escalator)
- Part of PAX, everyone with a PAX badge gets in
- Special VIP party Friday night
- Merch for sale (new stuff, including Grunt Plushie (only 5,000 of them for sale))
- Weta Warthog will be there
- Halo history wall
- IGN is live streaming the majority of stuff from Halo Fest
- Hands on time with Halo: CEA
- Hands on time with the Halo: Reach TU

GhaleonEB

A conversation last night while playing on Highlands made me realize I hadn't posted much about that map. I don't think it's very well designed, but several aspects of the way it is set up right now could be altered to make it play much better. The single biggest is the placement of the Rocket Launcher.

Ideally, power weapons shouldn't be in their location of ideal use. Meaning, the sniper shouldn't spawn in the perfect sniper tower, and the rockets shouldn't spawn right where players will be camping with them. They should be spread out to force teams to work to control them.

Currently, CTF and Assault games - two and one sided versions - revolve around when rockets spawn. If they're spawned recently - such as at the start of the game - a couple of sacrificial lambs need to be sent into the base to drain the clip before any serious attempt at the objective can really be undertaken. That's because there's not much reason to move away from where they spawn.

rockstart.jpg

I suggest moving them away from the base. This would create some interesting early moments, as teams fan out to secure their heavy ordnance, and present some opportunities for teams to clash as they did so. Not a rocket rush in the classic sense, where we're fighting over one thing, but open enough that teams have to work a bit to get their goodies.

My suggestion - and again, many places will work - is to put them were the shotguns currently spawn. (The Shotguns can be moved into the rock tunnels.)

rocks.jpg

That way, teams have to head through the one-way teleporter to get them, which presents a brief window where the base is left without them near by. A Warthog can barrel into the base before the rocket carrier can get back, barely. But they'd be in a position to call out such a thing. And the opposing team would have a shot at trying to head the rocket carrier off.

putthemhere.jpg

Upon respawn, it's not an automatic that each team gets their rockets - leaving them outside the base means we'd have to plan and fight for them, and send players away from the base to do so. This would be a big improvement over the present, where rockets spawn in and we have to just throw a few bodies at the base to get rid of them.

I hope the playlist designer(s) at 343 are looking at things like this, this type of low level detail, and looking for ways to create more interesting scenarios through small but important changes. I'm not a huge fan of Highlands but a big part of that has to do with the way the map is set up. Some TLC of this sort will help it play much better.

feel

What are the chances of a Halo 2-esque Battle Rifle in Reach multiplayer megaton at Halofest??

If that happens, I'll rename my new PitbullxNeapolitan-mastiff puppy "Frankie"

FyreWulff

Yeah, the sniper rifle really needs to be moved away from the best sniping spot. There's no danger in getting new ammo for it or getting it back after being killed.

Should ALWAYS be a "loop" for having to resupply or obtain power weapons. Coag/BG/Hem is an exception due to the bases and openness, but otherwise maps generally follow the loop rule.

Letters said:
What are the chances of a Halo 2-esque Battle Rifle in Reach multiplayer megaton at Halofest??

If that happens, I'll rename my new PitbullxNeapolitan-mastiff puppy "Frankie"

How about CE pistol megaton instead?

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Yeah, the sniper rifle really needs to be moved away from the best sniping spot. There's no danger in getting new ammo for it or getting it back after being killed.

Should ALWAYS be a "loop" for having to resupply or obtain power weapons. Coag/BG/Hem is an exception due to the bases and openness, but otherwise maps generally follow the loop rule.
Yes. This is what I was inelegantly trying to say. It's one of the key elements to plan early on in map design, building out infantry and vehicle loops, and how the power weapons play in them. Highlands has the nuts and bolts for some good movement loops, but they are under utilized because of the power weapon placement.

feel

Steelyuhas said:
How about CE pistol megaton instead?
What do you mean? The CE skin for the weapon instead of Reach's? I guess that would be kind of a cool surprise, but not necessarily a MEGATON!

Letters said:
What do you mean? The CE skin for the weapon instead of Reach's? I guess that would be kind of a cool surprise, but not necessarily a MEGATON!

It is a CE remake. Gimmie my CE pistol for use in the classic modes.

Alarmingly wishful thinking I know

Zoolader

StalkerUKCG said:
inv sent

sent to zoolander, if thats not your GT what is it?

Forget the "N", it's just like my gaf user name. But I had a change of plans, I won't be able to get on for another hour, sorry. Whats your live gamertag?

A27 Tawpgun said:
Highlands Layout is great. Weapon placement is crap.

Now what do you guys think of this:

Rockets: replace with shotguns at spawn.

Sniper: Place in each teams "ghost garage"

Shotgun: Place in the Tunnel, and opposite bases equivalent location.

Plasma Launcher: Remove

Laser: Place inside the pelican

Grenade Launcher, put one each, where the Laser and Plasma Launcher used to be

Two way Teleport: Replace with light man cannons that send you to the center.

Vehicles: Give each base an additional warthog, Rocket, or regular, one more mongoose?

feel

Steelyuhas said:
It is a CE remake. Gimmie my CE pistol for use in the classic modes.

Alarmingly wishful thinking I know
I think you need to go check the last 4 or 5 bulletins at halowaypoint.com , pay attention to the clues in the pictures, you might like what you see.

v hitmonchan!!! Grunt plushiiieeeeeee get!!!!!!! :O :O (I should be embarrassed to ask for a second favor, but this is a grunt plushie we're talking about)

Hypertrooper said:
Crap. Only 5,000 Grunts plushies? They will be sold out. while I will be sitting in the Halo Anniversary Panel :/
I would like to think that they will last until at least after the Panel finishes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sikamikanico said:
This just in:

I had a good time in Halo Double team on Reach today.

My mind is blown.
Doubles is one of the more tolerable playlists. Teaming up with someone you know makes it even better. I love the slower, more tense pace of it.

Striker

I would remove the Laser altogether, keep plasma launcher in middle with grenade launcher and concussion rifle on the ends.

And I hope you're joking about the man-cannons.

Zeouterlimits said:
I can't exactly say no to that offer. Would love one, if you can get it.
If I can snag two, you will get the other one.
If I can snag three, you will get one and the other one wll be given away here at GAF(EU-HaloGaffer only).

About Highlands: I don't think that "sniper tower" isn't the perfect sniper spot on Highlands. Otherwise I move around with the sniper.

Dani said:
Any word on who will be 343' s playlist manager?
Doesn't that fall under the scope of Franchise Development?

Tentative playlist setup:

Team Slayer
Knights of Dongblainia

Team Objective
Objective Holders (of Dongblainia)

The Arena
Knights of Dongblainia (Ranked)

Living Dead

Big Team Battle
One Thousand and One Dongblainian Knights

Multi-Team
Knight Riders (of Dongblainia)

Team Snipers
Team Focus Rifles

Team Classic
First Knight (of Dongblainia)

Double Team
Phantom Pistols on Waterworks (Forge remake)

Team SWAT
The Dark Knight (of Dongblainia)

Invasion

PAX is scarily soon! I cannot wait to hear the stories! I'll be at HolaFest while a lot of you attend HaloFest. Hold my hand, hug me and comfort me in these next few weeks!!!

My body is ready! :p

Hydranockz said:
PAX is scarily soon! I cannot wait to hear the stories! I'll be at HolaFest while a lot of you attend HaloFest. Hold my hand, hug me and comfort me in these next few weeks!!!

My body is ready! :p
Still want to play?

Hypertrooper said:
Still want to play?
My roommate is asleep bro :p There'll be hell on Earth if I was to wake her to play Halo lol. I'll be packing stuff to move back home and also packing for my holiday so it may be difficult to squeeze time to play, but I'll try my best to get on in the next few days.

Top Bottom