• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

kylej said:
Kinda thinking about buying Gears 2 before 3 comes out. I never played it. Anyone want to roll through a co-op compaign if I buy it?
I'd recommend tracking down the last episode of the 1up Yours podcast, where Luke comes back, and talks about Gears 2, you should, it's a must listen. Probably after you finish the game, just so you understand his ...thoughts better.

Anyway, if you need a partner I'm up for it.

wwm0nkey

Gui_PT said:
No, I'm done with MM but Stalker's still on.

That was awesome m0nkey :lol
I honestly have no idea how that one guy didnt see me and how the other guy didnt manage to kill me before I landed a double beat down lol

Zoolader

iePE7DtnL.gif

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
I question if the raw skill is quite there. Only because these guys win an amazing amount of the games they play, I question the competition of the matches. You guys should really step up and hit the MLG playlist. Run 3s or 4s, learn the maps and settings and I know you'll get more fun out of the game.

I think they have the shot/aim to do well... it's a ton of the other stuff that makes the difference against truly good teams and in MLG.

Decision making
Movement/Positioning
Communication
Reaction time
Fanatical control of power weapons
Knowledge of angles for nades and helping others
Awareness
Knowledge of spawns
Team shot based on the above

Those things are a bit soft... this goes for a number of good Halogafers - the base skill set is there, but these other things mean that when playing truly good players, or the typical game in MLG - it will be a bit rough.

I think given exposure to MLG for a couple months, a number of folks could hang. It's a shame Theater only allows for one person and not 4 as in H3.

So much can be learned/seen when sitting in a lobby reviewing why someone was doing something in game.

That's another one for H4... please please please allow at least 4 to watch a film at the same time!

A27 Tawpgun said:
Lock on rockets weren't a point and death weapon. Vehicle drivers also had a chance at dodging them.

I just hate that design excuse. YEAH ITS A BULLSHIT WEAPON THATS WHY YOU GOTTA CONTROL IT. Just bring back my lock on rockets :) Much more satisfying to use imo.

Question: What does the MLG community think of Reach. This goes out to anyone close to the MLG community. I've always wondered.

They don't like default Reach... at all. Since the beta there was huge backlash on most of the same topics we have here today. AA's, Bloom, Map Design, etc... typical of what has been thought of in previous Halo releases by MLG players.

Tawpgun

Risen said:
That's another one for H4... please please please allow at least 4 to watch a film at the same time!

They don't like default Reach... at all. Since the beta there was huge backlash on most of the same topics we have here today. AA's, Bloom, Map Design, etc... typical of what has been thought of in previous Halo releases by MLG players.

1. Yes plz. Theater 2.0 to help all us machinima folk too.

2. If the TU removes bloom and we can edit that bloomless gametype... you think MLG would use it?

That is, if the other maps were available bloomless as well. If its just anni maps, then probably not.

Bloomless DMR's MLG settings Beaver Creek. Gon b so gud.

GhaleonEB

Schmitty said:
It can't be true! I just played firefight to death last night to get last week's
10 games over the course of a week isn't so bad (assuming they go through the full set).

Last week I made a game out of it and timed the completion for Thursday, so I could knock off multiple Challenges at once. Ended up with something like 22k for one game.

I think my normal play schedule would knock this one off in 3 days.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think some of those things you listed I would qualify as raw skill Risen. I think it's more than just shooting ability. What I do know though is that the more MLG they play the better they will get at this game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
MrBig said:
There were already reports of 343 consulting some people from MLG for H4.
I believe Bungie did this for Halo 2.
I hope its the correct people from MLG. And I doubt they were on for Halo 2, if they were it obviously didn't make a difference. H2 was too rushed.

MrBig said:
Ties are counted as wins.
In what respect? Ties pay out unique 10% cR Performance Bonuses (as opposed to the 20% bonus for winning, nothing for losing).

Also, there's usually a standing and falling spartan in the background, here they're both standing.

I do see in the victory streak, it is marked as a victory.

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
I think some of those things you listed I would qualify as raw skill Risen. I think it's more than just shooting ability. What I do know though is that the more MLG they play the better they will get at this game.

I think some of those can be defined as raw skill. I'd think raw skill would be things that aren't likely to improve... things that are more or less finite. Those things I listed can all be improved through playing against people of a higher level, with higher skill in those areas, and a bit of introspection. They may not all in fact improve, but in many people all can be improved.

Definitely... the more MLG people play, the better they will become. IF they choose to see why people are doing what they are doing. Many will play it, get beat on, and not understand or try to understand why they were beat. It will be blamed on connection, or a game mechanic, or a power weapon, or camping... etc.

In going to events, one finds that people's shot is pretty consistent. Past a certain point, shot is acceptable and it's all the other stuff that makes a player or team better than another.

A27 Tawpgun said:
1. Yes plz. Theater 2.0 to help all us machinima folk too.

2. If the TU removes bloom and we can edit that bloomless gametype... you think MLG would use it?

That is, if the other maps were available bloomless as well. If its just anni maps, then probably not.

Bloomless DMR's MLG settings Beaver Creek. Gon b so gud.

If the ability to remove bloom is there across enough maps - I think they'd definitely choose to not use bloom. There are a few pro's who like it, but I think more feel that even on LAN they'd rather have the consistency of knowing that if they lose/win an interaction they do so on their own merits.

MrBig

HiredN00bs said:
In what respect? Ties pay out unique 10% cR Performance Bonuses (as opposed to the 20% bonus for winning, nothing for losing).
As in they are counted as wins in your service record.

MrBig said:
There were already reports of 343 consulting some people from MLG for H4.
I believe Bungie did this for Halo 2.

I need 40k credits to rank up to Legend. I'll try to play some more halo today
Bungie had some MLG people in the studio to play Reach.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Risen said:
I think some of those can be defined as raw skill. I'd think raw skill would be things that aren't likely to improve... things that are more or less finite. Those things I listed can all be improved through playing against people of a higher level, with higher skill in those areas, and a bit of introspection. They may not all in fact improve, but in many people all can be improved.

Definitely... the more MLG people play, the better they will become. IF they choose to see why people are doing what they are doing. Many will play it, get beat on, and not understand or try to understand why they were beat. It will be blamed on connection, or a game mechanic, or a power weapon, or camping... etc.

In going to events, one finds that people's shot is pretty consistent. Past a certain point, shot is acceptable and it's all the other stuff that makes a player or team better than another.

Oh I don't necessarily believe that raw skill can't be improved. I mean, I'm speaking for myself here but I don't think I'm the best I'm going to be right now. I think I have lots of room to improve in fields considered raw skill. It's really just a matter of consistency. Everyone has moments of brilliance but it's how often you're brilliant that makes you the player you are.

I totally agree with that last paragraph. Your shot really only has to be a certain level to succeed. Team work team work team work.

Didn't Frankie or Bs Angel say that the title update was dropping before Anniversary is released? In that case, assuming bloom is being removed for certain playlists, then it would have to be compatible with every map in the game. It can't be only for the anniversary maps if the update is released beofre said maps are released.

Letters said:
Can it be halofest time now? All of this complacency for the terrible Reach is making me want to hurl.
Is it sad that the CEA: Multiplayer panel is the one I'm looking forward to the most at PAX?

The other panels are going to be amazing and I'm really curious about the Halo 4 one, but I'm seriously excited about hearing the discussion on the Title Update changelist.

Maybe because the TU is the one thing at PAX that will have the biggest impact on my gaming, and it's rapidly apporoaching. Not to mention I absolutely love talking about Halo balance (obviously).

thee henery said:
Didn't Frankie or Bs Angel say that the title update was dropping before Anniversary is released? In that case, assuming bloom is being removed for certain playlists, then it would have to be compatible with every map in the game. It can't be only for the anniversary maps if the update is released beofre said maps are released.

Not necessarily. The Dashboard Update supporting Kinect came out before the hardware was released. It's common practice.

Zeouterlimits said:
Indeed. Isn't that where aul Tommy first leaked out those screenshots?

No I don't think so. "Tom Morello" leaked pre-alpha campaign shots. Bungie had MLG in post-beta I believe. The pros that played really liked The Cage (lol).

The Real Napsta said:
There is a CEA MP panel? Awesome.
Yep, on Sunday. Ideally I'll get my hands on a demo station before then so I have some good questions to ask.

From what's been said already, they're going to discuss all of the little changes that might not be apparent from the quick demo sessions. Possibly explaining why and how changes were made.

The problem is, there are so many awesome panels that finding time for demos is going to be tough. I might have to miss one or two of the more obscure Halo panels (i.e. MegaBlocks) just to have time to quickly sweep through the exhibition floor. :(

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as far as posting news to my site. Between the IGN livestreaming and the Waypoint videos there doesn't seem to be a huge need for liveblogging, I'll probably just write up whatever thoughts I can collect when I get a chance. (Which is going to be tough when I'm running all over the place.)

I figure at the very least I'll try to post impressions of the Title Update, since all of the panel info will be online already. I think I'm also going to try taking a ton of pictures and keep constantly updating my site's gallery.

So excited.

ncsuDuncan said:
Is it sad that the CEA: Multiplayer panel is the one I'm looking forward to the most at PAX?

The other panels are going to be amazing and I'm really curious about the Halo 4 one, but I'm seriously excited about hearing the discussion on the Title Update changelist.

Maybe because the TU is the one thing at PAX that will have the biggest impact on my gaming, and it's rapidly apporoaching. Not to mention I absolutely love talking about Halo balance (obviously).

Not necessarily. The Dashboard Update supporting Kinect came out before the hardware was released. It's common practice.

I agree 100% this might sound odd but it almost feels like getting a new game for free lol. I wonder how extensive the changes are going to be.

Im more excited to see whats in store for Halo 4, but I think the fact that the TU will be on us soon after the conference is what makes it feel more immediately exciting.

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
Oh I don't necessarily believe that raw skill can't be improved. I mean, I'm speaking for myself here but I don't think I'm the best I'm going to be right now. I think I have lots of room to improve in fields considered raw skill. It's really just a matter of consistency. Everyone has moments of brilliance but it's how often you're brilliant that makes you the player you are.

I totally agree with that last paragraph. Your shot really only has to be a certain level to succeed. Team work team work team work.

There are all sorts of things that are skills - or could be defined as a raw skill depending on your viewpoint. I'm definitely not debating what is a skill, but was just saying what I personally looked at as raw skill. I'm betting we'd end up saying the same thing in regards to what skill can hit a ceiling and what can be continually improved.

It all goes into the definition of "raw skill"... I was defining it as a certain base trait... distilling it down to aim/shot... that is typically something that will hit a point and go no further. It's where everything else starts.

Take Igoturpistola... when he won the FFA in Dallas he was a very raw individual. He had a great shot and great reaction time, and that was it. Today he is the best overall player in the game. His shot never changed, nor did his reaction time - everything else did. Look at Ninja today... crazy skilled, but poor team play all over the place - he has a ton to improve.

I agree completely on the consistency point... and I don't think you are close to how good you could be. I so wish we could sit in theater and talk about game play.

ncsuDuncan said:

That's hardware though. It would be something of a missed opportunity on 343's part to release the update only for nothing to happen; people who don't read forums would be unaware of the reasons for that.

Louis Wu

HiredN00bs said:

Also, there's usually a standing and falling spartan in the background, here they're both standing.

I do see in the victory streak, it is marked as a victory.
Also, on the left side of the main game page, it shows your position - all 8 players have '1st' there.

Top Bottom