• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

A27 Tawpgun said:
I hope not.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Elites make a cameo later in the trilogy... but it should be Chief + MAYBE forerunner support vs new enemies.

Just as long as the bad guys are not ROBOTS.

Possibly more cyborgs? :p

Merguson

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I hope not.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Elites make a cameo later in the trilogy... but it should be Chief + MAYBE forerunner support vs new enemies.

According to a source at 343, the game will have The Library-like levels where you face endless waves of Flood.

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:

I also don't like the idea of a BRAND NEW ENEMY OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. But unless they expand upon the flood. Maybe pull some pre-cursor shit out of their ass... it's looking to be a brand new enemy. I just hope their entrance into the Haloverse is explained well and connected to something.

Otherwise it's essentially like in Gears of War 4 after the Locust are defeated a race of Space Aliens come attack Sera.

Stupid.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I also don't like the idea of a BRAND NEW ENEMY OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. But unless they expand upon the flood. Maybe pull some pre-cursor shit out of their ass... it's looking to be a brand new enemy. I just hope their entrance into the Haloverse is explained well and connected to something.

Otherwise it's essentially like in Gears of War 4 after the Locust are defeated a race of Space Aliens come attack Sera.

Stupid.

Yeah I would like to see them be a race of rouge forerunners.

Like how The Romulans were to the Vulcans.

Kuroyume

Banned
It's time for something new. It doesn't really matter what I'm shooting at. I just want a new set of weapons that don't feel like covenant or the usual human weapons. Grown tired of the same weapons over and over.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Stupid.

If it is written and presented well that is fine.

It's a hell of a lot better than to all the sudden be fighting the Covenant again even though you rick rolled them in Halo 3. 343 needs to make me believe that there is a reason to have three more Master Chief Halo games. If I find myself fighting Covenant like Halo 3 never happened in Halo 4, I will sell the game immediately.

I certainly wouldn't mind the Elites being in the new games in some form, but not as enemies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kuroyume said:
It's time for something new. It doesn't really matter what I'm shooting at. I just want a new set of weapons that don't feel like covenant or the usual human weapons. Grown tired of the same weapons over and over.
I agree, this also goes for vehicles as well.

The Real Napsta said:
I was gonna do the same thing, but then the hardcover was so cheap I could not resist. Good read.

Good to hear. I'll wait on the paperback because I am currently read A Song of Ice and Fire. I just finished A Clash of Kings and I'm going to start A Storm of Swords later today.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
Count me in as expecting all new enemies, with maybe some cameos. I honestly think the series will stagnate without it.
I think the premise - from what we've seen - appears to set the table nicely for a fully reset combat sandbox. New weapons, new enemies, new vehicles, built upon the same set of combat principles that define Halo. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
Yes. I have yet to play a game in which it is satisfying to kill straight mechanical enemies. It's just psychologically boring.
An exploration in things other than the covenant would be interesting, and possible within the universe.
The planet/dyson sphere could be a Forerunner reserve of some sort of life from before they set off the rings.

UNSC weapons could still be in. They could come from the ships armory. Or maybe the planet is the object mentioned in a few of the cryptic things from Halo 3's launch, showing that ONI knew about it and could have sent an exploration team and a UNSC deployment.

GhaleonEB said:
I think the premise - from what we've seen - appears to set the table nicely for a fully reset combat sandbox. New weapons, new enemies, new vehicles, built upon the same set of combat principles that define Halo. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.
I expect to see loads of new vehicles, though I do worry about new enemies because it's going to be challenging making them as fun to fight as the Covenant.

At the very least, I expect to see returning vehicles – mainly the Warthog and the tank – because the back end of Forward Unto Dawn carried vehicles.

Devolution said:
Had my first loss in 50 some odd games thanks to a host being absolute shit. Can't have everything I guess lol.
Wow, maybe I'm bad luck because I was playing with Tawpgun when his winning streak ended.

GhaleonEB said:

I would love some vehicles for big team that revolve more around mass transportation if they're going to continue to create big team maps in which it takes years to get to the other base and you just get sniped or banshee blown up on the way.

-Yeti said:
Wow, maybe I'm bad luck because I was playing with Tawpgun when his winning streak ended.

Had some close ones before for the same reason (laggy bullshit), so not really. Many of the games I've played have had some real latency these past couple days.

GhaleonEB said:

That's what I'm hoping for as well.

Dax01 said:
I expect to see loads of new vehicles, though I do worry about new enemies because it's going to be challenging making them as fun to fight as the Covenant.

At the very least, I expect to see returning vehicles – mainly the Warthog and the tank – because the back end of Forward Unto Dawn carried vehicles.
I, for one, am looking forward to Cortana getting to have fun with some of the new Forerunner technology and possibly modifying old/existing UNSC weaponry with it now that her and Chief are basically on their own on this new world.

"I've upgraded the single remaining Scorpion tank with Forerunner [technobabble] that should quadruple its damage output. See if you can take out some of those drones more easily now."

Dax01 said:
I don't think I could consider it to be a true Halo game without a warthog.

Everything else can change. Just give me a warthog, the Chief, Cortana and a pistol and I'm good to go.

GhaleonEB

Firefight Doubles has been frustrating the past week. I can't get a good connection to a game; I've had only a few games this entire week that had no lag, and in two of them that was because the other player quit/lagged out and I played alone.

I have all three search filters checked, so I should in theory get a good connection. And I'm only playing with one other person. Yet game after game after game is severely laggy, with 0.5 - 1.5 seconds between input and response. That's a non-functional game, one that should never be permitted to be set up; it's particularly egregious since I like to play the sniper/DMR class, which require a lower level of lag than say, rockets. I've been letting a whole lot of people play doubles solo.

It's to the point where I called the cable company and had them dispach a tech to the house yesterday to make sure the connections were good. It's all solid, and actually faster than it's supposed to be, up and down.

This is one reason why I really want the Doubles game types folded into Score Attack. The net code just doesn't work much of the time. I understand the synchronous model and why it's used, but the result is often literally unplayable.

I really hope co-op netcode gets an overhaul in Halo 4.

Havok

NullPointer said:
Everything else can change. Just give me a warthog, the Chief, Cortana and a pistol and I'm good to go.
It'll be nice to get back to a Halo game that actually features Cortana. Halo 3 had an AI shaped sound void in it, and acid-trip Gravemind didn't fill it very well. I played a few levels of Halo 2 the other day, and I had forgotten how often you hear her cracking wise in a given level. It's really frequent, and that's not a bad thing.

A27_StarWolf said:

Robot enemies are awesome. You ever play Star Wars Republic Commando or the intro bit of Mass Effect? The way you can destroy bits of them and have them continue fighting, or blowing up into bits and pieces is great.

Karl2177

Devolution said:
I'd love for all of the netcode to be overhauled.
The only thing the MP netcode needs is correct host selection. At least that's been the case when I play. I'll have to play a few games with you and see if it's laggy on my end.

For firefight, I've never been in a non-laggy game. Even over system link sometimes it lags a bit.

GG devolution and Yeti. Even the games were laggy.

GhaleonEB said:
In my opinion Halo 4 can be open-world like Metroid Prime. In terms of gameplay I want the normal Halo gameplay as basis, but I welcome every new gameplay addition. Otherwise I hope that the story isn't going to be "Cortana is rampage. She wants to protect humanity and the only logic situation to protect humanity and John is to exterminate us.". Halo: Legends teased something like that.

Hypertrooper said:
In my opinion Halo 4 can be open-world like Metroid Prime. In terms of gameplay I want the normal Halo gameplay as basis, but I welcome every new gameplay addition. Otherwise I hope that the story isn't going to be "Cortana is rampage. She wants to protect humanity and the only logic situation to protect humanity and John is to exterminate us.". Halo: Legends teased something like that.

Don't get me hyped about Metroid Prime comparisons damn it! That game is incredible.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
If it is written and presented well that is fine.

It's a hell of a lot better than to all the sudden be fighting the Covenant again even though you rick rolled them in Halo 3. 343 needs to make me believe that there is a reason to have three more Master Chief Halo games. If I find myself fighting Covenant like Halo 3 never happened in Halo 4, I will sell the game immediately.

I certainly wouldn't mind the Elites being in the new games in some form, but not as enemies.

I'm fine with new enemies as long as they are linked to the forerunners, covenant, flood, precursors SOMETHING.

It would be stupid if it was like AND THEN THE UNIVERSE WAS SAVED. UNTIL DA NEW ALIENS CAME DUN DUN DUN.

Give humanity a break, lol.

Hypertrooper said:
We got a big tease via Halo: Cryptum.

The precursors? I find that hard to believe but it would be a twist. Fighting the forerunners again would require some strange twist as well.

Devolution said:
I'd love for all of the netcode to be overhauled.

Speaking of score attack though why does Sniper Attack rarely pop up anymore?
Wat. Multiplayer netcode for Reach is probably the BEST in the industry without dedi servers. Dedi servers is probably the only significant improvement from here.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A27 Tawpgun said:
Wat. Multiplayer netcode for Reach is probably the BEST in the industry without dedi servers. Dedi servers is probably the only significant improvement from here.
And I still get laggy matches and crappy host.

5v5 and up really becomes a crapshoot.

feel

Don't want Covenant, but damn, what about the Ghost and plasma nades? HUUUGE parts of Halo in both gameplay mechanics and looks. :(

And don't give me any "the battle rifles were all in the other piece of the ship, they're all gone" crap aight? Just get that thing in the game, nerfed by default if necessary (wait, why would it be necessary? It was versatile, not broken, like the DMR in open maps...).

Speaking about the (half) ship MC is in, why is it empty with no other humans? (don't remember if it's explained in the ending of Halo 3)

Hypertrooper said:
^_^

I forgot about that. And the plasma pistol is important too. In the other hand I hope they ignore the redundant sniper-rifles and carbines...

Plywood said:

That is not my experience with Reach at all. Laggy matches are a rarity for me, no matter how many players are in the game.

Plywood said:

This. Even in smaller matches this bullshit happens to me though.

Steelyuhas said:
That is not my experience with Reach at all. Laggy matches are a rarity for me, no matter how many players are in the game.

This past weekend I've been playing in lag more often than not. And it wasn't just me. So I can't blame my connection.

Letters said:
Don't want Covenant, but damn, what about the Ghost and plasma nades? HUUUGE parts of Halo in both gameplay mechanics and looks. :(
Maybe they'll keep those for Multiplayer?

I really hope they don't make the multiplayer sandbox the same as the campaign, like how it is in Reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
If the filter for Good Connection isn't on I'll likely get matches with people from all over the world and these are the matches which always seem the most "competitive" because it's impossible to kill someone on these bad connections.

But even then with Good Connection there are times when the host and the latency is just all bad.

senador

Banned
Whaa? You guys don't want Covenant? Covenant is Halo for me. Grunts, Jackals, and Elites are so much fun to fight. I don't know how they'd work them into the story, but it wouldn't be the same without them.

I think the Flood are also a lot of fun to fight so I'm glad they'll most likely be in.

Plywood said:
If the filter for Good Connection isn't on I'll likely get matches with people from all over the world and these are the matches which always seem the most "competitive" because it's impossible to kill someone on these bad connections.

But even then with Good Connection there are times when the host and the latency is just all bad.

Last night kept getting euros, I'm all in the way in Cali, ugh. It's worse the smaller the playlist for obvious reasons.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
senador said:
Whaa? You guys don't want Covenant? Covenant is Halo for me. Grunts, Jackals, and Elites are so much fun to fight. I don't know how they'd work them into the story, but it wouldn't be the same without them.

I think the Flood are also a lot of fun to fight so I'm glad they'll most likely be in.
Covenant were Halo. This is the new trilogy, believe.

-Yeti said:
Maybe they'll keep those for Multiplayer?

I really hope they don't make the multiplayer sandbox the same as the campaign, like how it is in Reach.

Outside of a few exceptions, the sandbox for multiplayer and campaign in Halo games has always been pretty much the same.

Plywood said:

Yeah I never check good connection and they are good pretty much all the time. I dunno lol...

MrBig

I hope people at Bungie and 343 take a look at the tone of Reach and the tone of HCE. The expectation of most gamers is that everything is serious, dark, and gritty. Please challenge that misconception. Design new games. Don't design games that everybody has already experienced the emotions of.

Ken

MrBig said:
I hope people at Bungie and 343 take a look at the tone of Reach and the tone of HCE. The expectation of most gamers is that everything is serious, dark, and gritty. Please challenge that misconception.
But dark and gritty brown and gray is next-gen.

I'd also love to see co-op play out as truly different characters. Halo 3 did it best imo with the Arbiter and cohorts rather than just 2-4 Chiefs or 2-4 Rookies or 2-4 Noble Sixes. For a game so focused on co-op I've always wondered why they went this route.

Steelyuhas said:
Outside of a few exceptions, the sandbox for multiplayer and campaign in Halo games has always been pretty much the same.
True, but I guess I was talking more about the maps. I don't like how the environments in MP and Campaign were almost exactly the same. I like what they did in the first 3 Halo games. The MP maps shared the same aesthetic as Campaign maps, but the layouts were completely different.

Top Bottom