• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
We don't know, but that sure sounds like a great question for the Halo 4 panel at PAX. Or perhaps one of the weekly updates on Waypoint.

I'm just judging from this: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175819p1.html

IGN: Can you talk about what game engine Halo 4 will use?

Spencer: 343 obviously has partnered closely with Bungie for a while. We had been working with them on Halo: Reach and map packs. We started with the code base from Halo, so it's not something we had to re-roll from the beginning. [Chief Technology Officer] David Wu and the team behind the core engine tech inside of 343 have done a lot of work. Halo has always been a unique game with huge outdoor environments but also playing indoor environments at the same time. The technology base isn't 100 percent new, but a ton of work has gone into it by 343.

feel

Domino Theory said:
For multiplayer? Go crazy.
THIS

Including maps. Where is this breathtaking location?

v682v4.jpg

We don't know, and I love that. More like that please.

edit-
I'm ok with the same engine. It's fantastic, can provide beautifully unique visuals and it can only get better with Corrine Yu and co getting their hands on it. Any problems people have with the visuals it's not really the engine's fault and can be fixed with enough dedication or talent put into it. I don't want the game to look like killzone, crysis, gears or call of duty, I want it to look like Halo.

MrBig

^ yes
Domino Theory said:
Isn't the Reach engine a heavily modified Halo 3 engine which is a modified CE engine? Isn't that what Corrinne Yu is working off of?
Yes, all of the Halo games have run on the Blam! engine, in the same sense as how UE3 has evolved over the years. As in Domino's post, they will be starting with the engine from the point it was at in the Reach build and work it up from there just as every other Halo game has.

Tunavi said:
if the campaign is as good as ODST, maybe
if the campaign is as bad as Reach, no
C'mon bro, that's a bit much. Granted that Reach failed to capture that sense of urgency you'd expect from a planet wide invasion of one of humanity's best kept secrets but it's still a really fun and well put together campaign from a gameplay standpoint.

Some of the Reach dick-riding in here is a bit much but same goes for the amount of needless hate.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
I can think of a few ways to build out hub or two, from which major missions could stem. One would be to retain a linear level design, but let us choose how to progress through a few of them. Think of the mission ONI Sword Base, the second in Reach. It begins at the titular ONI base, and then moves out into the open. From there it branches out into two big paths, which eventually join. Imagine if each of those paths were entire missions, and three or four of them spiraled out from the hub.

Or the second mission from the first game, where we have a central canyon from which three major branches stem. The first mission in Reach is structured very similarly, first linear and then opening up into a folding series of paths. That's the kind of structure I'd love to see, but writ large.

Another option would be a linear mission progression, but provide a central hub - say, the crashed ship - as a tweener space between levels from which we launch into the next mission.

I dunno. There are a few ways to make the concept work. After tasting ODST, and seeing how well Halo's emergent combat mechanics mesh with a semi-open city, I'm craving a lot more of that. Reach's design felt like a step backward to me.

It's crazy hard to to, but I loved ODST's city so damn much.

I just think for a game where canon is going to be hugely important it can't be too free form.

I liked the choice missions and multiple paths. I loved it, but to make the entire game like that? I don't know. I just feel like there would be a lack of continuity. If they can pull it off then fine, but a linear progression with open ended missions (maybe even objectives) seems like the best bet.

GhaleonEB said:
I can think of a few ways to build out hub or two, from which major missions could stem. One would be to retain a linear level design, but let us choose how to progress through a few of them. Think of the mission ONI Sword Base, the second in Reach. It begins at the titular ONI base, and then moves out into the open. From there it branches out into two big paths, which eventually join. Imagine if each of those paths were entire missions, and three or four of them spiraled out from the hub.

Or the second mission from the first game, where we have a central canyon from which three major branches stem. The first mission in Reach is structured very similarly, first linear and then opening up into a folding series of paths. That's the kind of structure I'd love to see, but writ large.

Another option would be a linear mission progression, but provide a central hub - say, the crashed ship - as a tweener space between levels from which we launch into the next mission.

I dunno. There are a few ways to make the concept work. After tasting ODST, and seeing how well Halo's emergent combat mechanics mesh with a semi-open city, I'm craving a lot more of that. Reach's design felt like a step backward to me.

It's crazy hard to to, but I loved ODST's city so damn much.
Yup. Halo 4 is a great, great opportunity to significantly expand the sandbox and take the entire design of a tradition Halo campaign to new levels. And expanding on ODST's concept is the best way to do that.

Kuroyume

Banned
No more ARs. No more Ghosts. No more Banshees. No more same old pistols. DMRSBRSBLAH BLAH NO MORE

It's Boring, okay. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

Time for something fresh and new. So, stick to the fiction if it means new weapons in multiplayer and none of the old ones. I can only play the same thing so many times and Halo is pushing it unlike any other FPS series before it. SERIOUSLY

Tunavi

Banned
Kuroyume said:
EUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK FVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Fixed for the children. Won't anyone think of them?

RIP 48 hour membership
we_are_proud_to_salute_you_by_sunnybean24-d3d5p1h.jpg

Tunavi said:
Fixed for the children. Won't anyone think of them?

RIP 48 hour membership
we_are_proud_to_salute_you_by_sunnybean24-d3d5p1h.jpg

=(

Went into some mlg games, realized why I can't do it well, callouts are just not my thing since I'm not used to talking in game.

Tawpgun

Campaign wise my biggest wish is for the new world in Halo 4 to immerse me in the same way Halo CE immersed me the first time.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Campaign wise my biggest wish is for the new world in Halo 4 to immerse me in the same way Halo CE immersed me the first time.

Agreed but to be fair, I think CE immersed us as well as it did because it was new. Since we kind of know what to expect the sequels have to work harder to change it up and this is where I think they got a bit repetitive. Say what you like about ODST, the one thing I think it had going for it was its atmosphere.

Devolution said:
Oh you, that's ice cold.

Hey I was almost positive it was brand new, but I turned the card around and the little flap was already taken off. I then looked at my lil' bro, and he smiled.

But I really am sorry I got your hopes up, Tunavi.

Tunavi

Banned
Devolution said:
Dem elites got dat ass.
"Eventually, the cucumbers got too expensive to buy and my girlfriend was getting suspicious about all the "rotten cucumbers" in the garbage can"
hahahahah
Devo, I'm back online now if you wanna play more some more, thanks for the codes ricken

Tunavi said:
"Eventually, the cucumbers got too expensive to buy and my girlfriend was getting suspicious about all the "rotten cucumbers" in the garbage can"
hahahahah
Devo, I'm back online now if you wanna play more some more, thanks for the codes ricken

How late you gonna be on? I gotta eat dinner in a bit =p.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
edit-
I'm ok with the same engine. It's fantastic, can provide beautifully unique visuals and it can only get better with Corrine Yu and co getting their hands on it. Any problems people have with the visuals it's not really the engine's fault and can be fixed with enough dedication or talent put into it. I don't want the game to look like killzone, crysis, gears or call of duty, I want it to look like Halo.
There is nothing wrong with it looking like Halo, that goes with art and style.

But I don't think the engine is solid, sure it has a lot of solid tools, but the thing chugs often and everything suffers as a result.

I wish they made their own from the ground up because Corrine talked about how the 360's tech (while old) wasn't being utilized by developers as well as it could be.

MrBig

Plywood said:

But I don't think the engine is solid, sure it has a lot of solid tools, but the thing chugs often and everything suffers as a result.
:lol the engine is ridiculously optimized compared to a lot of engines in current use, especially for the small team that is Bungie.

It's bad design decisions of looks over performance that have had such a detrimental effect. 95% of the game is locked at 30, but there are just somethings that have a terrible effect and that is what people notice.

Nutter

Plywood said:

I wish they made their own from the ground up because Corrine talked about how the 360's tech (while old) wasn't being utilized by developers as well as it could be.
Game Engines are just a base. Devs always code upwards, but having an engine gives them a very good head start in terms of developing a game. Replacing code which is 10 years old is technically = new engine.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MrBig said:
:lol the engine is ridiculously optimized compared to a lot of engines in current use, especially for the small team that is Bungie.
Aren't they 300+ strong?
Nutter said:
Game Engines are just a base. Devs always code upwards, but having an engine gives them a very good head start in terms of developing a game. Replacing code which is 10 years old is technically = new engine.
Replacing isn't the same as writing from scratch though. Guess I'll have to just wait and see.

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:
Look familiar?

http://i.imgur.com/27RHJ.png[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jPJXa.jpg[IMG]

I found it in Stephen Loftus' [URL="http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_signs/"]sign collection[/URL] on HBO when I was looking for something else.[/QUOTE]
I really wish we'd gotten the opportunity to explore more into these corporations aside from Traxus. Even them we know little about aside from they had operations on Reach as well. Why do I get the feeling we're going to see more of these in the future?

[IMG]http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_signs/images/0015-CIV-ReachCompany-logo1.png
This one looks too "Dead Orbit"-y to ignore.

wwm0nkey

My god guys it was so obvious all along that Destiny was a Pokemon MMO, I mean think back to the theme song "I know its my Destiny"

:lol

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
My god guys it was so obvious all along that Destiny was a Pokemon MMO, I mean think back to the theme song "I know its my Destiny"

:lol
Mother of God.

Destiny codenamed for Pokemon MMO.

Someone call Kotaku.

Top Bottom