• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Karl2177

wwm0nkey said:
See she is a TERRIBLE host though and knows nothing about games. On a gaming network I rather you know have someone that knows what they are talking about.

When someone calls a Mario game "too kiddy" all respect is lost for them, the recent Megaman Legends 3 statement didn't help her track record either.
Have we got to the point where we're complaining about boobs? I could care less if she knows a damn thing about the game. She's telling us about the game, then I'll let the experts inform me of stuff I need to know.

wwm0nkey

xxjuicesxx said:
Thematically yes Mario is kiddie.

Underlying theme of a regular working man trying to get some pussy from a douchebag (Bowser) With some drug references. Not so kiddy. Stuff you'd only realize as an adult. Like Winnie the Pooh just trying to get some "Honey"

In terms of a challenge its very kid oriented. Game doesn't really get any teeth until the last level, world, section in almost every single Mario game. Even then the average person would probably only die a few times each level.

Is what she said wrong, not really. I'd say Mario 3 was the last "Mans" Mario, everything since has been fluff.

Morgan Webb said:
And let’s be honest, there are no other action-platformers out there…This is it, this is it…This is the only game out there for people who like action-platformers. I mean, I guess Mario Galaxy, but Mario Galaxy feels like its aimed so much for kids. Whereas this is like for everyone, but you feel like you’re not being insulted when playing it as an adult.
She actually says its insulting to play.

Karl2177 said:
Have we got to the point where we're complaining about boobs? I could care less if she knows a damn thing about the game. She's telling us about the game, then I'll let the experts inform me of stuff I need to know.
She isnt even hot though, now Olivia Munn on the other hand :)

I dunno I thought Mario Galaxy was insultingly easy.

Platform games need to form a hardline where eventually its not just innovative like it was but also challenging in an innovative way.

I feel it failed to do that. Plus the gimmicky stuff was really not done well.

Yes I played the crap out of it. Like all Marios.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Face, meet palm.
I literally grimaced at that part. It's an easy mistake, but it pains me still.

Hypertrooper said:
Dude. Halo > Star Wars Episode 4-6 > J.A. Star Trek > Star Trek = Star Wars Prequel

There is no way, you can say something against it. Live with it.
Hah, that's a fair assessment. Grunts replaced by Needler wielding Yodas for Halo 4
Gamestop pre-order exclusive!

wwm0nkey

xxjuicesxx said:
I dunno I thought Mario Galaxy was insultingly easy.

Platform games need to form a hardline where eventually its not just innovative like it was but also challenging in an innovative way.

I feel it failed to do that. Plus the gimmicky stuff was really not done well.

Yes I played the crap out of it. Like all Marios.
Im pretty sure she ment insulting because of how "kiddy" it was not the difficulty.

Anyways on to Halo stuff

10 more days!! :D

Zoolader

Was not expecting 9 new pages to catch up on when I woke up today. That potential hint of melee bleed-through has me so happy right now! Also I saw alot of hate for the shotguns in the bases of Beaver Creek, and I'm 99.9% sure they were there in the previous games.

Oozer3993

Zoolader said:
Was not expecting 9 new pages to catch up on when I woke up today. That potential hint of melee bleed-through has me so happy right now! Also I saw alot of hate for the shotguns in the bases of Beaver Creek, and I'm 99.9% sure they were there in the previous games.

No, there was 1 shotgun and it was in a cave on the creek.

wwm0nkey said:
Morgan Webb sucks
PooBone said:

*Added to ignore list.*
:^p

I love Morgan Webb. Forget about her looks (Are we judging Adam Sessler on his looks, too?), she's an experienced gamer who knows what she's talking about.

Give me 20 Morgan Webbs over one Olivia Munn any day of the week.

wwm0nkey

Hitmonchan107 said:
*Added to ignore list.*

I love Morgan Webb. Forget about her looks (Are we judging Adam Sessler on his looks, too?), she's an experienced gamer who knows what she's talking about.

No and No :)

Zoolader said:
Melee bleed was one of the major complaints when 343 asked for player TU feedback.

I was in the process of documenting each player's complaints in a spreadsheet before taking my Halo break. I didn't get too far, but the major complaints I saw were:

- Melee bleed
- Grenades (wanted them to be nerfed)
- Bloom (most wanted a toggle, half wanted just the precision weapons to get a bloom nerf/keep bloom on automatic weapons, very few wanted it completely gone)
- Armor Lock nerf
- Individual weapon trait customization
- Vehicle health overhaul (most wanted Sniper/Precision weapons to not affect health as much as it does, a handful wanted a return to Halo 3's health system)
- Banshee nerf

I really only got 50 people deep, so this is in no way indicative of the entirety of the player feedback.

Interesting notes:

- There was quite an outcry for the return of VIP.
- Very few people wanted changes to Firefight. :^(

Edit: Dunno if this is legit, but someone on B.net posted the fact sheets for BF3.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Melee bleed was one of the major complaints when 343 asked for player TU feedback.

I was in the process of documenting each player's complaints in a spreadsheet before taking my Halo break. I didn't get too far, but the major complaints I saw were:

- Melee bleed
- Grenades (wanted them to be nerfed)
- Bloom (most wanted a toggle, half wanted just the precision weapons to get a bloom nerf/keep bloom on automatic weapons, very few wanted it completely gone)
- Armor Lock nerf
- Individual weapon trait customization
- Vehicle health overhaul (most wanted Sniper/Precision weapons to not affect health as much as it does, a handful wanted a return to Halo 3's health system)
- Banshee nerf

I really only got 50 people deep, so this is in no way indicative of the entirety of the player feedback.

Interesting notes:

- There was quite an outcry for the return of VIP.
- Very few people wanted changes to Firefight. :^(

If bleed through melee means we go back to H3 style 6 AR bullets and a melee kills you, then it can gtfo.

That BF3 sheet is legit btw.

Woorloog

Banned
Eh someone playing Reach ATM? Invite me too please, GT: Empyrus. Can play an hour or so, preferrably Squad Slayer/Team Classic Or Premium lists. As long as it's not MLG, Snipers or SWAT...

MrBig said:
I'm playing Premium BTB right now but as soon as i get 10k more credits I'm off.

BF3 thread here

That and so much more has already been posted there.
Subbed. Thanks for this! (I still rarely venture outside of HaloGAF.)

I'll keep the Battlefield talk to a bare minimum from now on. Heh.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
If bleed through melee means we go back to H3 style 6 AR bullets and a melee kills you, then it can gtfo.

That BF3 sheet is legit btw.
I'll take AR rushers that come at slowly at a straight line over the goddamn sprint rushers and the double melee/melee jump back shit.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Agreed. I love knowing where I stand in a 1v1 battle in Reach.
Yeah I think that the no-bleed through melee isn't great, but I much prefer it to the thunderous melee's of Halo 3.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Yeah BF3 is going to be absolutely staggering.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'll take AR rushers that come at slowly at a straight line over the goddamn sprint rushers and the double melee/melee jump back shit.

The melee need to be weaker though is the real issue. Strong melee, weak weapons, and sprint is a horrifying combo when it comes to close quarters combat.

Zoolader

Hitmonchan107 said:
Agreed. I love knowing where I stand in a 1v1 battle in Reach.

EEEEK.

Oh yeah well I hate draining a players shields down almost completely while I have full shields, only to get double beat-downed. If 343 changed it back closer to H3 it will be a glorious day!

Oozer3993

I vastly, VASTLY, prefer melee's as they are in Reach. I like knowing exactly how much damage a melee strike is going to do. I hated the guessing game they were in previous games.

Risen said:
juices... JOIN

Gotsa go eat out. Be back tonight probably.

Also I need Tip Of The Spear, New Alexandria, The Package, and Pillar of Autumn for my co-op shield. Anyone who needs anyone of those and is willing to run through it with me, preferably with experience send me a message with the level so I know we can do it. I'm pumped to do this finally!

Did Exodus last night and it wasn't terrible!

And count me in to the pool of players who prefer being double meleed to having bleed through AR+ Melee trades after precision weapon shooting at them while they just spray and charge. Fuck bleed through.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Yeah, this is where I come down as well. I never had an issue with the Halo 3 melee system and AR power. It was a close range weapon, it's supposed to shred at close range.

It'll be intersting to see which game the "classic" setting comes from and what the setting will be. I'm guessing "melee shield damage" will be able to be toggled to pass through or not.

FyreWulff

uh4Fy.gif

ElRenoRaven

Hitmonchan107 said:
*Added to ignore list.*

Quoted for the mother fucking truth.

Oozer3993 said:
I vastly, VASTLY, prefer melee's as they are in Reach. I like knowing exactly how much damage a melee strike is going to do. I hated the guessing game they were in previous games.
You also love how after you put a bunch of shots into someone as they're sprinting at you and you guys both melee that you're now on even ground even though you've already shot him a bunch of times?

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
Gotsa go eat out. Be back tonight probably.

Also I need Tip Of The Spear, New Alexandria, The Package, and Pillar of Autumn for my co-op shield. Anyone who needs anyone of those and is willing to run through it with me, preferably with experience send me a message with the level so I know we can do it. I'm pumped to do this finally!

Did Exodus last night and it wasn't terrible!

And count me in to the pool of players who prefer being double meleed to having bleed through AR+ Melee trades after precision weapon shooting at them while they just spray and charge. Fuck bleed through.
I need to do this too.
missing TotS, LNoS, NA, and Lone Wolf.

blamite

New maps look great! Can't wait for HaloFest for some more announcements though. I'm kinda getting bored of only hearing about the same maps we know about already.

Also, every time someone mentions Damnation gameplay, my brain interprest it as being about Waterworks and I get excited for nothing.
Dax01 said:
Everything would be better if you replaced every weapon with the Pro-Pipe.
Yesssssssss. Pro-Pipes make everything better. Hopefully the "updated" versions of maps will have different weapon placements as well as new geometry.

Tawpgun

Could someone post the GIF version of Halogaf Civil War, Frankie Save us, and the sage vidoc ones?

You jerks made them animated jpg's so they didn't save properly.

Sidenote: As if I haven't drilled this enough, Ellis, what's up with the Halofest contests?

Woorloog

Banned
MrBig said:
I need to do this too.
missing TotS, LNoS, NA, and Lone Wolf.
I can run Coop missions with people who want the shields.
Again, GT is Empyrus

I don't know whether to hate Rat Race (the remake, what was it's name?) or to love it. It looks horrible in Reach and due 110% damage, it's all about Assault Rifles and 'nades...

blamite said:
Yesssssssss. Pro-Pipes make everything better. Hopefully the "updated" versions of maps will have different weapon placements as well as new geometry.

They do. The "Reach" version of Beaver Creek appears to now have rockets, sniper, 2 shotguns, sword, and pro-pipe.

Which is of course insane

Tunavi

Banned
Video game christmas? Today is so awesome. Next week is going to be even better.

But as exciting as today is, all this talk about jetpacks in the classic maps is a major buzzkill. I don't even want them in the vanilla maps...

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
They do. The "Reach" version of Beaver Creek appears to now have rockets, sniper, 2 shotguns, sword, and pro-pipe.

I just want to know what those obviously Forged rocks are hiding?

THE REST OF THE MAP! IT'S JUST PART OF ANOTHER FORGE WORLD OMG BBQ

MrBig

FyreWulff said:

They're caves that go under the ridges.

Woorloog

Banned
Squad Slayer match ended 75-74, my team won. Urgh. I hate even endgame, way too much adrenaline.
Maybe one Score Attack to calm down...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hitmonchan107 said:
I love Morgan Webb. Forget about her looks (Are we judging Adam Sessler on his looks, too?)...
Yeah, it's disappointing to see dudes ogling over and objectifying women in this thread. It's one thing to publicly admire someone's looks, but it's another thing to use that as your only cited reason for judging them.

Hitmonchan107 said:
...she's an experienced gamer who knows what she's talking about
That's a stretch, hah.

thezerofire said:
Additional changes: No movement inertia and increased movement speed and jump height
I'm still unclear what movement inertia is, and how it affects gameplay...? I've seen people mention it here a few times, but I still haven't figured out what it is.

Tunavi said:
Video game christmas? Today is so awesome. Next week is going to be even better.
Seriously. This is better than E3!

blamite

Steelyuhas said:

Sweeeet. I completely forgot that map didn't have a sword before, and I was really fpcusing more on the new looks than on what was actually happening. ::p

I did notice overshield and camo as pickups though! Glad to see those coming back. I wonder if that will cross over into standard gametypes or be stuck in Classic though.

GhaleonEB

omg.kittens said:
I'm still unclear what movement inertia is, and how it affects gameplay...? I've seen people mention it here a few times, but I still haven't figured out what it is.
It has to do with how quickly you can change directions. In previous Halo games, you could be moving at full speed one direction, then stop and go the other way on a dime. It was particularly important for strafing fire and avoiding grenades. With Reach, you can't do that because of inertia. We slow down a bit first when changing directions, as if we're heavier, rather than reverse on a dime. It reduces the effectiveness of strafing and makes dodging grenades harder. We're less agile.

Tunavi said:
Now that I'm an adult, I honestly get more excited for things like this than I do for Christmas. The feeling I have right now is what I used to get around Christmas time as a kid. Giddy is probably the word that best describes it.

Zoolader

FyreWulff said:

Brand new forge world...... I can dream

I think I remember Frankie saying each of these maps will have places forged off. With the forge pieces in place the maps are like the originals, but when the pieces are removed/added the maps are more suited for Reach gameplay.

Top Bottom