• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

If Reach detects a lan set up can it not just bypass the patch?

Who cares to be honest, online players are getting a awesome patch, lan players will probably still be able to experience the game pre patch. Win win.

lybertyboy said:
I can confirm that the TU is, in fact, less than 6GB.

Guys, that confirms it, TU was a hoax, theres no possible way they could fix anything for less than 6 gig. 343 are worst developers evaaar! :(

Nollemaster said:
One of my friends, Tha Robbertster, told me to come to NEOGAF. He told me there were big Halo fans like me and him. So I couldn't resist to join... after procrastinating for nearly two months. But I'm here now and it's my intention to stay.

Tha Robbertster told me to fill in this form. Great running gag by the way.

Am I qualified?

Welcome, nollemaster. This is the 3th place I'll be able to talk to you! Enjoy your stay.

FyreWulff

blamite said:
Huh, guess I was wrong after all? >.> Any idea if the same thing would happen if 1.0 was the host? Because if that would just cause the 1.1s to revert to the old gameplay, and Reach could just do the same thing, wouldn't that be a pretty good solution? Granted, it would be more work to get every box the Title Update, but it'd still be functional without problems, no?

If Reach doesn't work that way, I'm guessing that'd be where the problem come in.

The issue with reverting is if they're patching the .maps in RAM, their signature will change, and 1.0 Reach will just go "lol I don't have that map".

Same idea if you tried to play the patched Tombstone with an unpatched Tombstone (with random invisible geometry everywhere), but you could still play Desolation together since they didn't touch that map when they had to re-issue the DLC. They have the same name (highlands.map) but since they have different signatures, Halo 2 sees them as different maps.

bobs99 ... said:
If Reach detects a lan set up can it not just bypass the patch?

Who cares to be honest, online players are getting a awesome patch, lan players will probably still be able to experience the game pre patch. Win win.

I'd like it if MS would come up with a mechanic where a 360 can patch other 360s over a LAN. Shit, even Nintendo can do this, you'd figure MS would allow for it. That'd solve a lot of the limitations with the 360 patch system right there for all developers.

Tawpgun

Nollemaster said:
Am I qualified?

Nollemaster said:
AR or BR?
I really don't care, I use the weapon which suites the upcoming situation best

Favorite Reach playlists.
BTB

Opinion on reticule bloom.
I like it. There I said it. It being a little bit random doesn't turn the greatest noob into a 5-shot pro like everyone is preaching. The bloom feels actually kind of good to me and more satisfying.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.
I love them! They kept the Halo series interesting because they added a lot of new combat situations to the game.

I prefer to use underrated Armor Abilities like Camo and Hologram to prove to my friends that they are worth something if used correctly.

Nope. Go home.

jk. Welcome to HaloGAF!

Im actually confused reading back, why are we discussing patch compatibility? Its not a new issue or brings a new slant to the Reach TU does it? From what I can tell its a long standing issue, it just means that most likely to play on Lan your either going to need to ensure all consoles are at the same patch level or just delete the patch on all of them to ensure they all work together. Not the most elegant solution but I suppose anyone whos determined enough to set up a lan would be able to download the patch on all the different xbox's first?

Also I have to say Dani is right, im not jumping to conclusions or getting too excited for what this patch may or may not include just yet. HaloFest cant come quick enough!

Woorloog said:
What do you mean? Do you mean that his player model picture is, umm, corrupted? Full of lines. Or maybe it's my laptop being borked as well...

Yeah. I've only seen that once before when Nutter or someone else linked a game to some "crazy good" guys. Might be something, might be nothing. Sure is strange though.

If the TU comes out and bloom isn't gone, then we're all going to owe FyreWulff 6 GB of apologies.

His vindication will be short-lived, since all of us but Tashii will have used a backwards-J type motion to throw our 360s out the window.

bobs99 ... said:
Im actually confused reading back, why are we discussing patch compatibility? Its not a new issue or brings a new slant to the Reach TU does it? From what I can tell its a long standing issue, it just means that most likely to play on Lan your either going to need to ensure all consoles are at the same patch level or just delete the patch on all of them to ensure they all work together. Not the most elegant solution but I suppose anyone whos determined enough to set up a lan would be able to download the patch on all the different xbox's first?
It was the issue regarding FyreWulff's "8GB .maps file" fiasco

Bregmann Roche said:
If the TU comes out and bloom isn't gone, then we're all going to owe Fyrwulff 6 GB of apologies.

His vindication will be short-lived, since all of us but Tashii will have used a backwards-J type motion to throw our 360s out the window.
File file = new File(location.out);
FileWriter fw = new FileWriter(File);
while(file.size < 6000000000)
{
fw.write("I'm Sorry\n");
}

obvious shit code it's been a long day of writing real code

Bregmann Roche said:
If the TU comes out and bloom isn't gone, then we're all going to owe Fyrwulff 6 GB of apologies.

I don't know about you guys but I'm not gonna bend my disc.

I'm going to take a fucking sledgehammer to it.

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
Yeah. I've only seen that once before when Nutter or someone else linked a game to some "crazy good" guys. Might be something, might be nothing. Sure is strange though.
My profile picture was corrupted a couple of days ago as well... probably something to do with Bungie->343i change?
*Shrug*

Halo 4 really needs music during multiplayer and menu jukebox.

wwm0nkey

Its seeming like Frankie posting on the MLG forums has given some players a lot of faith in 343i and the TU. Also besides a few stupid people on the MLG forums, they dont seem bad at all.

blamite

FyreWulff said:
The issue with reverting is if they're patching the .maps in RAM, their signature will change, and 1.0 Reach will just go "lol I don't have that map".

Same idea if you tried to play the patched Tombstone with an unpatched Tombstone (with random invisible geometry everywhere), but you could still play Desolation together since they didn't touch that map when they had to re-issue the DLC. They have the same name (highlands.map) but since they have different signatures, Halo 2 sees them as different maps.

I'd like it if MS would come up with a mechanic where a 360 can patch other 360s over a LAN. Shit, even Nintendo can do this, you'd figure MS would allow for it.
Ah, I see what you mean now, It's all about the .map. Which is just about the point where I stop having any idea at all what I'm talking about. :/

Hopefully 343 was smart enough to figure out how to do everything they want to do without messing with the map files then. (If that's even possible without a 5.87GB update.

Although... and I'm just grasping at straws here, but Even if they did do a massive update that messed with each .map file, couldn't everything still work fine considering the update box has the original maps on the disc, as well as the updated ones on the HDD? So if both versions are available, couldn't the game just use the original .map, just like Halo 3 reverting to the original melee system?

MrBig

Woorloog said:
My profile picture was corrupted a couple of days ago as well... probably something to do with Bungie->343i change?
*Shrug*

360's can stream music. I haven't played a mp game since 2006 when I got my 360 without listening to music.

Woorloog said:
*Shrug*

Halo 4 should have music play through the warthog radio when you're about to cap a flag. It would be awesome.

wwm0nkey

Gui_PT said:
There is literally nothing I can delete =\
gotta get one of these then lol

thumb-usb-thumb-drive.jpg

Gui_PT

I would get one but I have no money at all. I've been working for the last 5 months for free because my college demands that I do that before I can graduate.

And I'd be fine with that if the company were offering me a job after all this, but since I spend my day working instead of kissing some ass, I'm going to end up unemployed. I was going to buy some gaf shirts but I have no money for that now. Gamescom was also in my plans, but forget about that.
Probably will end up not getting CE:A either.

Life sucks sometimes :lol

Oozer3993

Barrow Roll said:
It usually doesn't matter what you do in that situation, unless he's really far away. They'll usually double melee you before you can put in those last shots for his shields to come down. At best you guys will trade kills. It's a dumb system and I long for the day it is gone.

If he can close the distance fast enough so that I cannot strip his shield, he deserves the kill. He's taking advantage of either my poor shooting (if he started off far enough away for me to drop his shields) or his situational advantage (catching me in a short range altercation when I'm holding a mid to long range weapon). That is not the fault of the melee system. If we manage to trade kills, then I've stolen a kill I probably didn't deserve.

I much prefer knowing exactly what I have to do to kill some one to having to make a guess. With bleed through, if I turn a corner and there is an enemy with some amount of shield in close proximity, there is no set plan for what I should do. He could have 1% or 100% of his shield remaining. If I move in to melee, I don't know what will happen. This is exacerbated if he has a short range weapon. I don't like that uncertainty. I want a plan of action for every moment. The current system gives me that. The old one did not.

Simultaneous deaths are a separate issue. They're a necessary evil. Until every Halo player has a fat pipe with a ping close to their age to every other player in the game, they're something we're going to have to endure.

Devolution said:
Mic ordered, should be here in 1-2 weeks. No more ear pain soon guys =).

Honestly it wasn't that bad. Except when you would step into a wind tunnel every 15 minutes or so. Not really that big of a deal.

All of these videos of the Anniversary maps are doing a very funny thing - they're making me want to play Reach. Funny what a good map (and art) design can do...

Awesome Barlow said:
Honestly it wasn't that bad. Except when you would step into a wind tunnel every 15 minutes or so. Not really that big of a deal.

Heh. I've needed a new one for a while though, besides doin' that it doesn't always pick up on my voice unless I talk really loudly. I wonder if I'll sound at all different honestly. Since from what i've been told my voice changes over different things (phone, pc, live) and different mics.

feel

^ wtf?? I'll buy you CEA if the time comes and you really can't get it

Nollemaster said:
Tha Robbertster told me to fill in this form. Great running gag by the way.

Am I qualified?
That's an outdated form, you should reconsider your friendship with someone who embarrasses you on HaloGAF like this.
welcome

Thermite said:
IMPOSSIBLE
:lol :lol

Doesn't get old.

You know - I've expressed before, just how cool it is to be one of a few select communities/fan-bases that are able to have some form of direct communication with the developers. It's great that we have Bungie/343i regularly poking their head in and having a joke around or some input on a discussion.

I've also expressed before, just how annoying it is that despite this, the community can't get a solid piece of information out of anyone. Every attempt at a sensible question regarding what the developer is doing/planning is met with more questions or silence. Every statement by Bungie/343i is ultimately behind a foggy veil, deliberately ambiguous and as always, a tease. Whether it be jokes like "I can confirm the TU is less than 6gb", or near-meaningless statements like "sprinkles" when asked if sword clashing was being addressed. We can try to read between the lines and speculate all we want - the fact is nothing is confirmed or detailed in any meaningful way.

This would likely only be half as annoying if when 343i show their shit off at a show/event - there was some decent coverage. That Game Informer article that was linked to a few pages back - was pathetic. Ignoring the fact that the writer had no idea about Beaver Creek - there was literally nothing of interest in the article. Hopefully we can get some detailed impressions soon, but the quality of games journalism is laughable at this point.

I just don't get it. I understand hype, teasing, trailers, PR and the marketing machine in general - but why do we still know nothing about the TU. It's ridiculous that I have seen more footage, and know far more details about the upcoming BF3/MW3 games - than I do, regarding a balance/feature update to a year old game. More importantly, we know nothing despite the fanbase asking for changes since release.

I'm not asking for Halo 4 details - that is far away, a much bigger deal and dependent on an amazing hype train. I just don't know why we haven't got a semi-detailed account of changes to Reach in the form of:

Bloom - removed on DMR/Needle Rifle/Pistol
Armor Lock - no longer sheds plasma grenades, adjusted duration.
Banshee - Air tricks now linked to boost meter, banshee bomb tinkered with.
Melee - altered damage and bleed through characteristics.
Etc.

Regardless, I like that we can still interact with the developers - I just think this is getting beyond a joke... Particularly when nothing meaningful is released by the mags/websites that are paid to do this shit for a living.

tl;dr - yes I mad.

feel

Hypertrooper said:
I want to buy him that game. But if you wanna do it. Just think about the shipping cost.
I have debit and credit cards from european banks, I would just buy it off an european site and have them send it to him.

v WOW

Zeouterlimits said:
Stripper, it's called HaloFest. You know, next week.
That and a marketing strategy. Think of how Pitchford handled the Borderlands 2 reveal.
I know all about marketing and I know all about Halo Fest. The problem is that this shit has been going on for weeks (months even). Not one bit of solid information - it's a joke.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Stripper13 said:
You know - I've expressed before, just how cool it is to be one of a few select communities/fan-bases that are able to have some form of direct communication with the developers. It's great that we have Bungie/343i regularly poking their head in and having a joke around or some input on a discussion.

I've also expressed before, just how annoying it is that despite this, the community can't get a solid piece of information out of anyone. Every attempt at a sensible question regarding what the developer is doing/planning is met with more questions or silence. Every statement by Bungie/343i is ultimately behind a foggy veil, deliberately ambiguous and as always, a tease. Whether it be jokes like "I can confirm the TU is less than 6gb", or near-meaningless statements like "sprinkles" when asked if sword clashing was being addressed. We can try to read between the lines and speculate all we want - the fact is nothing is confirmed or detailed in any meaningful way.

This would likely only be half as annoying if when 343i show their shit off at a show/event - there was some decent coverage. That Game Informer article that was linked to a few pages back - was pathetic. Ignoring the fact that the writer had no idea about Beaver Creek - there was literally nothing of interest in the article. Hopefully we can get some detailed impressions soon, but the quality of games journalism is laughable at this point.

I just don't get it. I understand hype, teasing, trailers, PR and the marketing machine in general - but why do we still know nothing about the TU. It's ridiculous that I have seen more footage, and know far more details about the upcoming BF3/MW3 games - than I do, regarding a balance/feature update to a year old game. More importantly, we know nothing despite the fanbase asking for changes since release.

I'm not asking for Halo 4 details - that is far away, a much bigger deal and dependent on an amazing hype train. I just don't know why we haven't got a semi-detailed account of changes to Reach in the form of:

Etc.

Regardless, I like that we can still interact with the developers - I just think this is getting beyond a joke... Particularly when nothing meaningful is released by the mags/websites that are paid to do this shit for a living.

tl;dr - yes I mad.

The TU is months away. They aren't confirming anything at this time because, as they have said, the features aren't locked in and finalised. No point discussing something which won't make the final cut. Plus, seems like HaloFest has been planned as the big reveal for the TU features for the past few months. Looks like the event will give folks a chance to ask 343 directly about it.

And what Zeouterlimits said about Borderlands 2. Thank the maker 343i's PR is nothing like Gearboxes.

Plus, you can hardly blame 343 if the journalists don't do they're job right. On the bright side, there are a few Halo communities out there that will make sure you get all the up to date public information as it comes out. If IGN and Game Informer rub you the wrong way in terms of coverage, the fan base has your back for sure.

Stripper13 said:
You know - I've expressed before, just cool it is to be one of a few select communities/fan-bases that are able to have some form of direct communication with the developers. It's great that we have Bungie/343i regularly poking their head in and having a joke around or some input on a discussion.

Etc.

tl;dr - yes I mad.
We know for weeks, that we will get TU information at HaloFest. If they say sth., like they can't remove Bloom, now, people are going to be bitching around before playing the TU. (Oh know, you 343i that sucks. Bloom will be still in the game wtf etc.) At HaloFest a minority of HaloFans will have the chance to experience the TU. And on Sunday 343i is going to have a discussion with these Fans.(Is that right? The multiplayer panel should have discussion about the TU, right?) In my opinion this is a very friendly Developer-Customer thing.

Top Bottom