• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

That fly-by of Beaver Creek is looking quite nice. I think my kneejerk rage of CE:A's multiplayer being Reach has subsided, but that could also be because I haven't played Reach in months. I'm willing to give Reach another chance once the TU/CE:A hits. I hope I'm happy with the result.

Regardless of their plans for Halo Fest - there is no excuse for:

1. Fans having no idea about changes a year after release, despite the need for change from the outset. This is just as much an issue with Bungie not addressing the changes as it an issue with 343i keeping fans in the dark.

2. Knowing far more intimate details about the 2 biggest releases of the year as opposed to a title update for a year old game.

Don't get me wrong - some information is better than nothing, but I really don't feel like the TU is being handled adequately - at least for the current userbase. I don't expect to know exactly how bloom/banshee/melee/grenades are being altered. I'd just like to know that they are being addressed period.

Ramirez

I'm reading that people like Reach's melee system over the past games bleed through system? REALLY? Oh hey I just shot this guy 3 times but he's going to sprint into me and melee me twice and we'll trade kills. *repeat a 1000 times over the course of playing this game*

Dumbfounding really...

I hate AR+Beatdown as much as the next guy, but stuff like that was only prevalent in games where you started with an AR, something that I also never want to experience in a Halo game ever again.

Stripper13 said:
Regardless of their plans for Halo Fest - there is no excuse for:

1. Fans having no idea about changes a year after release, despite the need for change from the outset. This is just as much an issue with Bungie not addressing the changes as it an issue with 343i keeping fans in the dark.

2. Knowing far more intimate details about the 2 biggest releases of the year as opposed to a title update for a year old game.

Don't get me wrong - some information is better than nothing, but I really don't feel like the TU is being handled adequately - at least for the current userbase. I don't expect to know exactly how bloom/banshee/melee/grenades are being altered. I'd just like to know that they are being addressed period.
EfKTD.jpg

We know Halo Fest is bound to have some information, and that's enough for me. I guess they could be more upfront about it but I don't really care. Won't make it come sooner, and at least this way I don't get myself needlessly excited for too long.

Ramirez said:
I'm reading that people like Reach's melee system over the past games bleed through system? REALLY? Oh hey I just shot this guy 3 times but he's going to sprint into me and melee me twice and we'll trade kills. *repeat a 1000 times over the course of playing this game*

Dumbfounding really...

I hate AR+Beatdown as much as the next guy, but stuff like that was only prevalent in games where you started with an AR, something that I also never want to experience in a Halo game ever again.

Melee taking out shields has always pissed me off. Couple this with sprint and evade, and it's even more ragefuel. You pretty much summed up my problem with it, and many other things in this game. Go out of your way to hurt someone being the better skilled player and they can just pull some hilarious bullshit to either take you out or ensure your shots were completely futile.

Homeboyd

Kibbles said:
Just seems like coincidence and it's just a back tunnel behind the base. But it'd be awesome if it was another forge world type map and Waterworks was underneath like Sandbox had the crypt, as they are sayin. :p
Sir, here is a check with my name on it. Write down any number on a piece of paper and I will pay it.

Gui_PT said:
I would get one but I have no money at all. I've been working for the last 5 months for free because my college demands that I do that before I can graduate.

And I'd be fine with that if the company were offering me a job after all this, but since I spend my day working instead of kissing some ass, I'm going to end up unemployed. I was going to buy some gaf shirts but I have no money for that now. Gamescom was also in my plans, but forget about that.
Probably will end up not getting CE:A either.

Life sucks sometimes :lol
Put me in the group that's willing to help a brother out.

Moofers

wwm0nkey said:
Its does kind of make you stick out but if you want it go for it

oh and Welcome to Reach

I'm going for it. I decided I'm too much of a fan to not sport it. Also, been playing since launch, just couldn't afford legendary until now. :) In fact, I spent 45 minutes last weekend making walkthrough vids of the last mission on legendary for a friend of mine who was having trouble. Sad thing is the bum still hasn't watched them!

Oozer3993 said:
If he can close the distance fast enough so that I cannot strip his shield, he deserves the kill. He's taking advantage of either my poor shooting (if he started off far enough away for me to drop his shields) or his situational advantage (catching me in a short range altercation when I'm holding a mid to long range weapon). That is not the fault of the melee system. If we manage to trade kills, then I've stolen a kill I probably didn't deserve.
Well then this is where we disagree entirely. The effort to reward ratio is completely skewed in that scenario, IMO. Player a) actually used his gun and put some shots into player b). Player b) is just sprinting like a goon and tapping melee twice. That takes hardly any effort at all and it happens now and then to even the best players.

And in a situation like that, the system now discourages player a) from using melee even though he has now entered a CQC situation. Wtf? Melee is meant for CQC.

I much prefer knowing exactly what I have to do to kill some one to having to make a guess. With bleed through, if I turn a corner and there is an enemy with some amount of shield in close proximity, there is no set plan for what I should do. He could have 1% or 100% of his shield remaining. If I move in to melee, I don't know what will happen. This is exacerbated if he has a short range weapon. I don't like that uncertainty. I want a plan of action for every moment. The current system gives me that. The old one did not.
Yeah, I can't say that has ever been an issue for me in past Halo games. Is just another variable in combat that you gotta figure out on the fly. Put a shot into them, see how much their shields flare up. If it pops, finish them off with a headshot. If it doesn't then keep shooting while backing up and strafing since you have the first shot advantage. If they're holding a CQC weapon then weigh what you can do. Are they far enough away to finish off? Go for it. Maybe not? Escape. Too close? You are already dead.

And you always have grenades to use.

All of those things I mentioned that you can do in that situation don't negate damage already dealt like the shield system in Reach does. Just another one of those things that gives unnecessary second chances when someone gets the drop on you or you can't aim a gun properly.

Simultaneous deaths are a separate issue. They're a necessary evil. Until every Halo player has a fat pipe with a ping close to their age to every other player in the game, they're something we're going to have to endure.
But should try to be mitigated as much as possible. I wasn't even decrying simultaneous kills in my original post, as much as I hate them. Just a possible outcome in a scenario that I believe player a) should win.

Dax01 said:
Just because some people from 343 post here doesn't mean we have the right to know the inner workings of 343.
Who asked for the inner workings? Again, I don't expect a solid release date, details on Halo 4 or gritty details regarding the TU. I think as fans of a year old game that have been effectively screaming for changes since week one - that perhaps some confirmation on exactly 'what' is being addressed would be nice. Moreso because there are members of the development team that are regularly involved in this community.

Alienshogun said:
She should have armor locked.

Too soon?
You know, I'll never understand why they have to mention the specific game when it has nothing to do with the story. All it does is make predictable threads with the same tired jokes. I blame the reporters, not the internet.

Devolution said:
Oh go get Inheritor already.
Yes'm.

Hydranockz said:
There was nothing hilarious about the timing of what you posted and what happened yesterday. Have a little tact before you pull out the lame comebacks.

I'm the only one who made a crack obviously.

Stripper13 said:
Who asked for the inner workings? Again, I don't expect a solid release date, details on Halo 4 or gritty details regarding the TU. I think as fans of a year old game that have been effectively screaming for changes since week one - that perhaps some confirmation on exactly 'what' is being addressed would be nice. Moreso because there are members of the development team that are regularly involved in this community.
Just because some people from 343 post here, doesn't mean we should know information before anyone else or they should be forced to divulge any information.

wwm0nkey

Atleast the jokes are better than when that teen shot his mom in the head.

Saw wayyyyy too many "BOOM HEADSHOT" comments on websites about that one.

PsychoRaven said:
To be honest the only one acting that way is you on this one. Was it a bad joke? Yes. However you don't need to jump all over them for it.
I'm sorry, I just read a news story about a boy murdering his grandmother. If you want to tell jokes in the same breath, they'd better be DAMN GOOD.

wwm0nkey said:
Atleast the jokes are better than when that teen shot his mom in the head.

Saw wayyyyy too many "BOOM HEADSHOT" comments on websites about that one.

People are making "bulltrue" and "running riot" jokes already.

HiredN00bs said:
I'm sorry, I just read a news story about a boy murdering his grandmother. If you want to tell jokes in the same breath, they'd better be DAMN GOOD.

I'm not in here to impress you.

HiredN00bs said:
You know, I'll never understand why they have to mention the specific game when it has nothing to do with the story. All it does is make predictable threads with the same tired jokes. I blame the reporters, not the internet.
My reporting professor taught me three things:

1) Get the dog's name.
2) Don't fuck up.
3) Don't fuck up.

This is a case of getting the dog's name. (People love stories about animals, and getting the animal's name means there's a greater chance of acclaim.) The writer will be talked about more because he/she mentioned the specific game. Also, it's thorough journalism. People are going to ask questions. One of the questions people would have asked is, "What game was he playing?"

kylej

Banned
HiredN00bs said:
I'll leave that to you.

More great posts from Mr. Conscience. Tell us more about ethics and being nice (if you can squeeze it in between posts that insult HaloGAF's families and children).

ElRenoRaven

HiredN00bs said:

Tell you what. You show me one fucking place I made a damn joke. Go ahead I'll fucking wait right here while you try and find one.

Devolution said:
I'm the only one who made a crack obviously.
What a fan-fucking-tastic use of logic right there. Keep fighting the good fight Devo. You can do no wrong.

The jokes are largely kept to the thread. You know enough about OT to keep them there.

To be fair I didn't even make a joke so much as an observation. Totally the same thing though.

Hydranockz said:
What a fan-fucking-tastic use of logic right there. Keep fighting the good fight Devo. You can do no wrong.

The jokes are largely kept to the thread. You know enough about OT to keep them there.

Seriously what did I do to you that you have to make this personal. It's fine logic. Hyper made the joke, you and n00bs conveniently jump on my ass. Hmmm.

wwm0nkey

So yeah guys you hear that 343 is doing a Title Update, yeah that should be awesome lets talk about that and the possibilities of the Title Update.

Hitmonchan107 said:
My reporting professor taught me three things:

1) Get the dog's name.
2) Don't fuck up.
3) Don't fuck up.

This is a case of getting the dog's name. (People love stories about animals, and getting the animal's name means there's a greater chance of acclaim.) The writer will be talked about more because he/she mentioned the specific game. Also, it's thorough journalism. People are going to ask questions. One of the questions people would have asked is, "What game was he playing?"
I don't even know the victim's name, but thank God we know he was playing Halo. What playlists was he in? MLG? Extraneous information makes crappy news when you miss key details.

Hydranockz said:
To be fair you implied laughter should be a result of taking aboard your observation.

To be fair you seem to be fucking upset about something else entirely, so why not air it right now instead of playing these passive aggressive games.

Havok

Remember the time that the Halo 3 thread got locked because of petty bickering?

Nobody looks good in these stupid arguments.

Gui_PT said:
I would get one but I have no money at all. I've been working for the last 5 months for free because my college demands that I do that before I can graduate.

And I'd be fine with that if the company were offering me a job after all this, but since I spend my day working instead of kissing some ass, I'm going to end up unemployed. I was going to buy some gaf shirts but I have no money for that now. Gamescom was also in my plans, but forget about that.
Probably will end up not getting CE:A either.

Life sucks sometimes :lol

GAF donations for CE:A for Gui? Im game if others are.

DonateGAF unite.

Top Bottom